Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Chief resigns

Comments

• Options
    As I remember back in the day, there were a number of far worse words used to describe black people.
    As surprising as it may sound, the word coloured was in fact considered a far more polite way to describe blacks and was perfectly acceptable and not in the least used to be disrespectful.
    It was used mainly because people were a bit confused as to what term they should use.
    I can quite understand some people from about the late 60’s onwards to today still using the word without meaning a hint of disrespect.
    It was an all encompassing word to describe folk of all darker skinned races, which also included Asians.
    Most people were unaware that it was unacceptable to black people and no doubt there’s quite a few still don’t.
    Us oldies have to try to move with the times.....not always as easy as Addickted suggests......I too find myself having to check myself now and again.
    I really do understand where you are coming from because I’m of an age too but it’s not good enough to use that as an excuse. If it’s now deemed improper or offensive to use certain terminology then it’s not really hard to train yourself to use language that is acceptable. In Greg Clarke’s case it shows a complete lack of awareness and from his comments regarding women and gays it’s obvious his problems are much deeper than a slip of the tongue in using the word “coloured”. 100% the man had to go and defence of him, his views and attitudes is baffling to me. 
    Did I say it’s an excuse....certainly not.....but maybe an explanation.
    The guy screwed up and so, logically, there’s a price to pay.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    As I remember back in the day, there were a number of far worse words used to describe black people.
    As surprising as it may sound, the word coloured was in fact considered a far more polite way to describe blacks and was perfectly acceptable and not in the least used to be disrespectful.
    It was used mainly because people were a bit confused as to what term they should use.
    I can quite understand some people from about the late 60’s onwards to today still using the word without meaning a hint of disrespect.
    It was an all encompassing word to describe folk of all darker skinned races, which also included Asians.
    Most people were unaware that it was unacceptable to black people and no doubt there’s quite a few still don’t.
    Us oldies have to try to move with the times.....not always as easy as Addickted suggests......I too find myself having to check myself now and again.
    I really do understand where you are coming from because I’m of an age too but it’s not good enough to use that as an excuse. If it’s now deemed improper or offensive to use certain terminology then it’s not really hard to train yourself to use language that is acceptable. In Greg Clarke’s case it shows a complete lack of awareness and from his comments regarding women and gays it’s obvious his problems are much deeper than a slip of the tongue in using the word “coloured”. 100% the man had to go and defence of him, his views and attitudes is baffling to me. 
    I agree, it does take effort to keep up but that effort is the minimum expected from the head of the FA.

And @SoundAsa£ says there were far worse words used to describe Black, Asian, gay and disabled people but we, or most of us, have learnt to no longer use them so it can be done, regardless of age.
  • Options
    Blokes a prick end of.
  • Options
    It's a bit ageist to suggest people can't change their language.
    They can and of course should, that’s assuming they are aware in the first place, unfortunately some are quite simply not up to speed with things or if they are it’s a word entrenched into their vocabulary and mindset.
    In the case of Clarke he most certainly should have been super aware and conscious of not offending.
    I can remember using the word black was thought to be offensive and as such the word coloured was much more acceptable, hard as that is to believe for some of you, seems almost unbelievable doesn’t it.
    Oh, and BedsAddick, what was the LOL all about fella, this isn’t a funny subject or one where my heartfelt thoughts on the matter should be scoffed at as I am not being the slightest objectionable.......as far as I know?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I don't know what Clarke said and have no intention of wasting my time finding our, he's gone and from what the majority of you say rightly so with which I can only concur.
    What I do take exception to is the use of the word "coloured' to describe people of different ethnic mixes, what's wrong with it, it is a word that aptly describes the subject, if you suggest that I should use the expression "people of colour" then that is PC taken too far. After all we are all coloured as white and pink are colours!
  • Options
    I don't know what Clarke said and have no intention of wasting my time finding our, he's gone and from what the majority of you say rightly so with which I can only concur.
    What I do take exception to is the use of the word "coloured' to describe people of different ethnic mixes, what's wrong with it, it is a word that aptly describes the subject, if you suggest that I should use the expression "people of colour" then that is PC taken too far. After all we are all coloured as white and pink are colours!
    I'll save you a scroll and reading my initial response to Len Glover, but in short, "coloured" has connotations to apartheid/Jim Crow and similar, and was a term decided by white people. "People of colour" is a term that non-white people have coined, and that's why its use is preferred.
  • Options
    Paddy -unfortunately my work took me to S.Africa in the days of apartheid and it was horrible, but I never can across what you are putting forward as your argument, what is your evidence of that argument.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paddy -unfortunately my work took me to S.Africa in the days of apartheid and it was horrible, but I never can across what you are putting forward as your argument, what is your evidence of that argument.
    As in, that "coloured" was one of the four racial classifications used by the government in SA under apartheid? I would have thought that was self evident.
  • Options
    As an aside I find it curious why "black" is seen as an acceptable term, but then the US seems to excessively dominate the "acceptable" terms allowed. After all the use of "yellow" for East Asians is considered offensive, ditto "Red Indians"
  • Options
    'People of colour' and 'coloured' are in my view both chite terms because the implication is there are 'white' people (who of themselves come in various 'shades' anyway) and then there is everybody else.
    It is an unnecessary distinction to make in that particular way, lumps people together in an inappropriate manner, is not helpful in respecting various cultural backgrounds, and linguistically illogical.
    Clearly a search for decent terms are needed in order to tackle types of discrimination, but in my view 'people of colour' and 'coloured' are crass choices.
    On the question of language and generations it is more tricky, subtle and nuanced. I have been gently mocked by others for using 'wireless' rather than 'radio', or for not now knowing what a 'beer pong' is. We all have linguistic blind spots, but if pulled up about certain serious mis-uses of language people of all ages should try to take heed.
    Anyway the bloke had to go, and he has.
  • Options
    Indeed @PaddyP17. Nothing makes your skin crawl more than some of the apartheid signage which was common in South Africa.

Pin on apartheid  new south africa
  • Options
    Just because coloured was once considered more appropriate is no excuse for him to use that term today.

I wouldn't use the terms Half Caste, Paki shop, or poof just because I did as a kid in the 70's growing up in Tower Hamlets

Posted whilst sitting comfortably within my lifestyle choice of heterosexuality

• Options
    It was common parlance to say 'chinky' or 'go for a chinky' or have a 'chinky takeaway' and even using numbers in reference to people of Chinese origin.
    I wonder how recently readers of this post have used the term 'chinky', and whether they feel comfortable using the term.
    Do people who use the term 'chinky' see it as a form of standard information?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Greg Clarke was obviously in the wrong and had to go, no question.

The use of the word coloured though needs to have a bit more understanding by some.

As others have said, people brought up over a certain age, were educated that it was insulting to refer to someone as black and was polite to refer to someone as coloured.

If you watch TV, cricket etc in years gone by you will see this to be true.

The fact should be understood that some people will learn earlier than others that preferred terminology has been changed.

Some say they knew that coloured was offensive 40 years ago.
    Some say that they are only discovering more recently.

I distinctly recall that I only became aware about 15 years ago, when a black girl at work was extremely upset that a customer had described her as coloured.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'll save you a scroll and reading my initial response to Len Glover, but in short, "coloured" has connotations to apartheid/Jim Crow and similar, and was a term decided by white people. "People of colour" is a term that non-white people have coined, and that's why its use is preferred.

I had absolutely no idea as to the origin of the exception to the word coloured. I have used it, back in the 70s/80s and hopefully didn't offend anyone. I use the word 'black' but was told by my friend who works as a therapist that 'person of colour' is now the term. I absolutely hate offending people and admit I feel awkward if I get it wrong.
    My own area of discrimination - mental health - has gone PC in some areas. Apparently you shouldn't say someone is a 'schizophrenic' but 'person with schizophrenia'. I had a stay in Bexley mental hospital, when it existed, but now the term psychiatric hospital ward is used. My point is that there are so many different possibilities for offending someone (by the way I'm not offended by being called a manic depressive who stayed in a mental hospital) that it can be a minefield for Joe public. That said, it shouldn't be for Greg Clarke.
    Another example is The Spastics Society changing its name to Scope.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It was common parlance to say 'chinky' or 'go for a chinky' or have a 'chinky takeaway' and even using numbers in reference to people of Chinese origin.
    I wonder how recently readers of this post have used the term 'chinky', and whether they feel comfortable using the term.
    Personally, I don't hear anyone saying they are having a chinky these days.
    They say they are ordering a Chinese, is this acceptable? Genuine question.
    I've noted but only in the last 6 months or so references to South Asians and East Asians.
    Should I be saying I fancy an East Asian meal?
    I doubt it, but for all I know that may be the preferred description.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The use of the word coloured though needs to have a bit more understanding by some.

As others have said, people brought up over a certain age, were educated that it was insulting to refer to someone as black and was polite to refer to someone as coloured.

The fact should be understood that some people will learn earlier than others that preferred terminology has been changed.

Some say that coloured was offensive 40 years ago.
    Some say that they are only discovering more recently

I distinctly recall that I only became aware about 15 years ago, when a black girl at work was extremely upset that a customer had described her as coloured.
    If it had "just" been his use of the term coloured then Clark might just have got away with a telling off and a diversity awareness course or something. But the whole conversation taken in its entirety shows that he is dangerously outdated... AT BEST. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    thenewbie said:

Some say that coloured was offensive 40 years ago.
    Some say that they are only discovering more recently

If it had "just" been his use of the term coloured then Clark might just have got away with a telling off and a diversity awareness course or something. But the whole conversation taken in its entirety shows that he is dangerously outdated... AT BEST. 
    Yes, we all understand this.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I've noted but only in the last 6 months or so references to South Asians and East Asians.
    See no reason why that should be a problem. I say I’m going for an Indian, Italian, Greek, Lebanese or whatever. Even English on the very rare occasions I have a proper breakfast. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Do people tend to say 'curry' rather than an Asian, or 'pizza' rather than an Italian?
    I think they probably do.
    Maybe the appropriate term is to describe the actual dish, as in 'I'm going for an egg fried rice'.
    Or even 'I'm going for and egg fried rice from the Chinese takeaway'.
    Then again people say 'I'm going for a battered sausage from the chippy'. Not 'I'm going for a battered sausage at the Britty'.
    I believe however 'Chinky' is rather a sneering pejorative term these days. Mrs Plum, a lecturer at Kings College, has often been asked where her takeaway is. Inappropriate stereotyping and assumption.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

The man is a fossil, like many others around him.

All the while these types are still involved, football will never move forward.
    just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 
    Why are there no openly gay footballers?

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)

probably because there a very small percentage and they don't want to seem different - that and the nature of football crowds - my son played an all gay team the other sunday - they beat them 10-0 - now of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers but if that team were a representative cross section, i'd say there just aren't many gay pro footballers - saying it how it is i'm afraid - just good old common sense - i know we can't use common sense any more and have to 're educate' ourselves but i'm quite happy with my views - i welcome all sorts, have no problems with any minority groups and i have lots of examples and evidence to back that up - just find things have gone way too far with all this PC crap
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

The BBC etc seem to have cherry picked the coloured & look at the IT department quotes.
     I’m disappointed they haven’t used everything he said today as it might make those think it’s ‘PC gone mad’ think again.

just out of interesdt, how does football need to move forward? what is wrong with it? if ever there is an industry where the employers totally ignore anything other than ability it is football - if a chairman thought somebody was going to score him 30 goals a season or be a manager that was going to win him the league, he wouldn't care whether that person was black, yellow, pink, green, one legged, female / male , non binary, a rapist, mugger or a bank robber - the idea that football is in some way racist or any other ist for that matter is complete nonsense. THere are loads of black footballers because they are good at it, there aren't so many black managers if any because clearly they aren't so good at it and there aren't many asian players because they aren't generally good at it. Discrimination doesn't come into it - its nonsense. 
    Why are there no openly gay footballers?

(Earlier you said you admired Greg Clarke for being who he was - i.e. a homophobe. So maybe that's part of why.)

probably because there a very small percentage and they don't want to seem different - that and the nature of football crowds - my son played an all gay team the other sunday - they beat them 10-0 - now of course there are going to be some very good gay footballers but if that team were a representative cross section, i'd say there just aren't many gay pro footballers - saying it how it is i'm afraid - just good old common sense - i know we can't use common sense any more and have to 're educate' ourselves but i'm quite happy with my views - i welcome all sorts, have no problems with any minority groups and i have lots of examples and evidence to back that up - just find things have gone way too far with all this PC crap

is he a homophobe? how do you know that?
  • Options
    Has the world stopped yet as I want to get off....some people here would find someone to argue with in an empty room. Go across the threads its the same people.

On the radio this morning some asians and black men were saying how bloody ridiculous this has gone and is going, how many people today are getting sacked for the sake of one word. It's the tone that should be taken into account.

Theres a lot worse said by posters here on others, go look in the HoC threads for evidence, and for some bizarre reason it's acceptable.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Do people tend to say 'curry' rather than an Asian, or 'pizza' rather than an Italian?
    I think they probably do.
    Maybe the appropriate term is to describe the actual dish, as in 'I'm going for an egg fried rice'.
    Or even 'I'm going for and egg fried rice from the Chinese takeaway'.
    Then again people say 'I'm going for a battered sausage from the chippy'. Not 'I'm going for a battered sausage at the Britty'.
    I believe however 'Chinky' is rather a sneering pejorative term these days. Mrs Plum, a lecturer at Kings College, has often been asked where her takeaway is. Inappropriate stereotyping and assumption.
    Thanks Seth.
    Everyone I know says do you fancy a Chinese/Indian, never a chinky.
    Good to know it's still ok. (I wonder when it will change and become not ok).
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    NB on a humourous note does anyone remember that Kumar's sketch when they were going out for an English?
    It is hilarious.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Read everything he said.

It’s out there.

Dear God.

I’m struggling to understand if you’re being serious or just a wum.

So I’ll just say this.

All the while people like you think the way they do and are in football (even just as a fan) there will be no change. We will keep having to say Black Lives Matter. We will keep having to ask the question ‘why won’t a gay footballer come out’. We will keep wondering why the women’s game just isn’t as good.

You, Clarke & pretty much all of those shiny arsed eejits in their offices in the FA should be, as the Kick it Out campaign so eloquently put it, ‘consigned to the dustbin of history’.

Do you think football is racist? do you think any chairman would not employ a black manager if he thought he would be the best man for the job? Why do they happily pay lots of money to black players? Can you answer me that please rather than trotting out the usual nonsense.