Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alastair Thrush leaves as Head of Medical Services / P.3 Danny Murphy appointed

Comments

• Options
    Isn't it a logical conclusion that if Roddy/Sandgaard felt the injury problems were just down to a lack of investment in equipment extra physios etc., they wouldn't have fired the head of medical
  • Options
    thank you Sage, I hope that you would comment  and you have with insight and reasonable remarks.
  • Options
    Alastair Thrush: anagram of a harsh altruist
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    What do people expect when you’re buying cheap, injury prone players to play high intensity football twice a week? 

It might be all his fault but I highly doubt it. 
    Really don't get this. Throwing all trust towards a man we've never heard from.

If Thomas Sandgaard, who has a strong background in Medical Services, believes he may be able to bring in someone to do a better job than Mr Thrush, who are we to doubt him.
    This decision won't have been taken lightly. It is Sandgaard's club to run as he believes is right and this appears to be the choice arrived at.

I do agree that the behaviour on Social Media is equally weird, celebrating it. 
    I'm not throwing all trust towards a man we've never heard from? I'm stating that it's wrong to scapegoat one man for an issue that's out of his control. As I've already said, we have injury prone players that are overplayed as well as a medical department that is overworked and under-resourced, so it's unfortunate that it's had to come to this.  

As Sage has brilliantly put, this is a multifaceted issue that has been going on for a while. 

I wouldn't care if Sandgaard sacked the entire medical team and replaced it with a new one, he's saved us from oblivion and he can make whatever changes he sees fit. 

On your point on Sandgaard owning a company that makes pain management devices, that doesn't mean he has any great insight into sports medicine - just like the CEO of Greggs doesn't have to know how to make sausage rolls. 
  • Options
    I understand people might feel the need to double down on their defense of the medical department, but the news does speak very plainly: the head of the medical department has just been fired.
  • Options
    I see Alfie Spanner had his operation in Princess Grace Hospital - I cannot remember any of our players being treated there previously.

This is part of HCA Healthcare (Hospital Corporation of America) and along with the new hi tech Zynex medical equipment sent to the Club a couple of weeks ago indicates a change in direction of the medical services being provided for the players.

I can only see this as a positive, though am obviously sorry that it's cost someone their job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've no idea what happened behind the scenes, or how good he is at his job, but to the outside world it doesn't look great for his reputation, as the implication is that he's partially to blame

Are our medical resources that bad when compared to other clubs in this division anyway? I can't imagine the likes of Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster having better resourced medical departments
  • Options
    I've no idea what happened behind the scenes, or how good he is at his job, but to the outside world it doesn't look great for his reputation, as the implication is that he's partially to blame

Are our medical resources that bad when compared to other clubs in this division anyway? I can't imagine the likes of Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster having better resourced medical departments
    But then what are the injury troubles like @ Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster?

Are we just ignorant of their issues because quite simply we dont care

Way a lot of people talk on Social Media you'd think its only Charlton that get injuries when its certainly not the case
  • Options
    Injuries occurring would surely be more down to things like training regime. Medical Services is more recovery time than people getting injured in the first place.
  • Options
    Napoleon Solo gets his man...
  • Options

Way a lot of people talk on Social Media you'd think its only Charlton that get injuries when its certainly not the case
    I've no idea, but when people say that Roland under resourced this department and that department, it does depend on who you compare ourselves with. 

It's the same with the training ground. Against most Championship clubs it looks a bit inadequate, against most L1 sides it looks the height of luxury
  • Options
    As others have said, there have likely been many contributing factors to the various injury problems we have had. Hard to know which single one is the biggest cause. I suspect it's probably not Alistair Thrush who is the main reason, but it's probably reasonable for the new ownership to want to try something new and this is one way of doing it. Hard on AT, especially at a time like this, but I'm sure he'll find other opportunities in the game.

One thing I would say is we can just generally expect to see a lot of injuries this year - the fixture schedule is unreasonably busy, although getting out of the cups early will help us a little bit, but the regular international breaks may not. It may be tough to judge this season whether this change has a positive effect or not because we are not playing an average season.

• Options

I've no idea, but when people say that Roland under resourced this department and that department, it does depend on who you compare ourselves with. 

It's the same with the training ground. Against most Championship clubs it looks a bit inadequate, against most L1 sides it looks the height of luxury
    Compare ourselves with anyone, because he didn’t resource or invest in it.
  • Options
    Both Klopp and Pep have been complaining about increased injuries this season.

Pep suggested muscle injuries are up 49% this season.

Liverpool have lost Van Dyke, Trent- Arnold and now Gomez.

Do they and Man Ci poty have a lack of resources or a poor medical team?

But if we have 10% fewer injuries this season then that is a huge benefit just as will be if we can make a 5 or 10% improvement in every area from corners to commercial income.

If that means Thrush going then sadly for him personally so be it but as @sage sagely says there are multiple factors in why players get injured and how long it takes them to recover.

One is the injury record of players before they arrived. Often we've been forced, due to budgets, to risk taking on injury prone players like Williams who still rarely completes a full 90 minutes.

This is new world and this won't, I suspect, be the last change we see.
  • Options
    Probably got the 7 year itch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

But that's not true though, as we are in a division where many clubs exist on incredibly tight budgets
  • Options
    Both Klopp and Pep have been complaining about increased injuries this season.

Pep suggested muscle injuries are up 49% this season.

Liverpool have lost Van Dyke, Trent- Arnold and now Gomez.

Do they and Man Ci poty have a lack of resources or a poor medical team?

But if we have 10% fewer injuries this season then that is a huge benefit just as will be if we can make a 5 or 10% improvement in every area from corners to commercial income.

If that means Thrush going then sadly for him personally so be it but as @sage sagely says there are multiple factors in why players get injured and how long it takes them to recover.

One is the injury record of players before they arrived. Often we've been forced, due to budgets, to risk taking on injury prone players like Williams who still rarely completes a full 90 minutes.

This is new world and this won't, I suspect, be the last change we see.
    To an extent it's also the choice we've made

Player a - talented, but with question marks over their injury or fitness record, e.g. Williams, but also JFC, Bielik
    Player b - lower league journeyman, will play every week but no better than L1

We've tended to go for the former, whereas many of the smaller teams in L1 will have more of the latter
  • Options
    All the best to him.
    Think it’s out of order what is being posted on social media about him. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

But that's not true though, as we are in a division where many clubs exist on incredibly tight budgets
    It is true though, because he didn’t invest. Even clubs at our level now still invest as much as they can. Roland chose to neglect it. 
  • Options
    Good luck to his replacement, as the previous Head of Medical services Erol Umut was also asked to leave and blamed for the injuries.
  • Options
    What do people expect when you’re buying cheap, injury prone players to play high intensity football twice a week? 

It might be all his fault but I highly doubt it. Take a look at Twitter and people are happy that a man has lost his job during an economic crisis. 

Best of luck to him and hopefully the replacement is a literal wizard.
    Yeah really disappointing to read a lot of those comments on social media but then again its a platform for too many idiots
    50% of people are more stupid than average
    That's generally true for Normal distributions, of course ... and it can happen in other, unusual data populations.

But there are many situations where most people are well above average.  And, of course, many where most people are well below.

Salaries and number of legs would be two examples.
  • Options

It might be all his fault but I highly doubt it. Take a look at Twitter and people are happy that a man has lost his job during an economic crisis. 

Best of luck to him and hopefully the replacement is a literal wizard.
    Yeah really disappointing to read a lot of those comments on social media but then again its a platform for too many idiots
    50% of people are more stupid than average
    There’s a self directed joke in your comment if your were to carefully consider the maths of what you wrote. I think . I was never good at maths.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I suspect that we'll see more than one incoming for the medical team over the next few weeks.

I mean, even Arsenal sacked their assistant masseur because of Covid.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

It is true though, because he didn’t invest. Even clubs at our level now still invest as much as they can. Roland chose to neglect it. 
    As was even more pronounced last season in the championship