Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alastair Thrush leaves as Head of Medical Services / P.3 Danny Murphy appointed

Comments

• Options
    wonder what watch he wears?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Excellent appointment.
    Do you know much about him Sage. What do you think he will being to the physio side of stuff that was perhaps different under previous owners. 

More staff by the sounds of things straight off the bat. 
  • Options
    I must express my disappointment.

I was hoping for Gary Sparrow.
  • Options
    As someone who has been out of work for 5 months I feel for Alistair to lose his job especially around this time of year with the Covid situation as well. Hopefully he will get something quickly. Is being Bale's personal physio really a good endorsement ? He has almost as bad an injury record as 'sick note' Darren Anderton. Hope he does well for us though. Welcome back Danny.  
  • Options

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of Danny Murphy as the first team’s Head Physiotherapist. #cafc

Is he Jonny Williams' dad?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    ross1 said:
    What position does Danny Murphy (the medic not the ex-player) hold in the club and could he be the new head of medical services?
    No I am not ITK, but posted this November 12
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    As someone who has been out of work for 5 months I feel for Alistair to lose his job especially around this time of year with the Covid situation as well. Hopefully he will get something quickly. Is being Bale's personal physio really a good endorsement ? He has almost as bad an injury record as 'sick note' Darren Anderton. Hope he does well for us though. Welcome back Danny.  
    If only he was Bale's personal golf coach  :D
  • Options
    Old Tommy boy don't put a foot wrong does he?

Good appointment.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Excellent appointment.
    Do you know much about him Sage. What do you think he will being to the physio side of stuff that was perhaps different under previous owners. 

His reputation speaks for itself. Worked as Bale’s own personal physiotherapist. When Solly & Aneke attended Bromley Addicks in February, they both spoke very highly of him, Solly saying he’s managed to do things he hasn’t been able to do before.

Interestingly, he and I have similar backgrounds. We both went to University of Greenwich, both worked for CACT, both done bits with the academy. He’s done very well for himself. And when you’ve worked with the people he has, it can only be a good thing for the club. He’ll know what we need to do to get better and he knows the club. Think it’s a perfect appointment really.
    That means something else these days, so I hope you don’t mean in that sense. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Interestingly, he and I have similar backgrounds. We both went to University of Greenwich, both worked for CACT, both done bits with the academy. He’s done very well for himself. And when you’ve worked with the people he has, it can only be a good thing for the club. He’ll know what we need to do to get better and he knows the club. Think it’s a perfect appointment really.

• Options
    I must express my disappointment.

I was hoping for Gary Sparrow.
    He was a candidate but he's damaged his leg. 

I'm afraid Sparrow's lame. 

I'll get my coat... 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Excellent appointment.

His reputation speaks for itself. Worked as Bale’s own personal physiotherapist. When Solly & Aneke attended Bromley Addicks in February, they both spoke very highly of him, Solly saying he’s managed to do things he hasn’t been able to do before.

Disturbing how that would even enter your mind. And even in colloquial term, where I’m from doing bits means really good. But shouldn’t even need to explain how what I said clearly meant doing bits and pieces. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Don't know if anyone caught Alastair Thrush on The Mental Well-Balling Podcast (decent pod with the shittest name). Apologies if this has been covered on another thread but I can't find anything. 

On the pod, Alastair lays the blame for last season's injury crisis at the door of Lee Bowyer. 

He said LB was always eulogizing about the Leeds team and how much running they do, producing these amazing stats about their distance covered, sprints, etc. And always asking why aren't we as fit as Leeds? 

He insinuates our training level was very intense, as Bielsa's famously are, and reckons that our players weren't cut out for it, since they were from the bargain basement, whereas Leeds were paying good money for players with good engines. 

He claims the lack of injuries since his departure is down to players adapting to the training levels over time. 
    Interesting. It’s something I think a lot of us thought was the reason but to actually hear it from the horses mouth (sort of) is interesting.
  • Options
    He probably wasn’t going to say it was in any way down to him was he? That said the reusing regime did sound rather more than our players were used to abs must have contributed to some of the players breaking down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of LB's management style is "old school". We haven't had any training ground injuries since he left have we? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Don't know if anyone caught Alastair Thrush on The Mental Well-Balling Podcast (decent pod with the shittest name). Apologies if this has been covered on another thread but I can't find anything. 

On the pod, Alastair lays the blame for last season's injury crisis at the door of Lee Bowyer. 

He said LB was always eulogizing about the Leeds team and how much running they do, producing these amazing stats about their distance covered, sprints, etc. And always asking why aren't we as fit as Leeds? 

He insinuates our training level was very intense, as Bielsa's famously are, and reckons that our players weren't cut out for it, since they were from the bargain basement, whereas Leeds were paying good money for players with good engines. 

He claims the lack of injuries since his departure is down to players adapting to the training levels over time. 
    Link for anyone interested.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4YrPjmv4MTrPtYi1qb0TER?go=1&utm_source=embed_v3&t=0&nd=1
  • Options
    A lot of LB's management style is "old school". We haven't had any training ground injuries since he left have we? 
    Don’t you mean new school? 
    Players are fitter than ever and I doubt we ever got even close last season to the level that Bielsa requires of his players. 

I am not accepting that because a player is better it means that he will also be able to train better and longer than a crap player. The last man standing tests they run at the end of pre season tells you that. 

He admits that players are getting less injuries now and puts it down to them ‘adapting to to the training levels’, I guess that means that they are fitter now. No doubt you will be sending your thanks on to Lee 😉

I remember a TV program that pitted sportsman against each other on a range of physical tests. Amazing how fit the F1 racing drivers were.
  • Options
    Loyal Lee Bowyer deserted us , walked away , gave up on us for a better opportunity that suited him
    plenty said show him loyalty and look how their loyalty to him was treated 
    Others are pleased he fucked off 
    some were ambivalent 
    So Birmingham will get to benefit from his training methods and we’ll just have to do with Nigel’s way now .
    It is what it is .

• Options
    Chunes said:

Makes sense, our injuries last season were a disgrace. Had a massive effect on our survival chances. 
  • Options
    @Sage

As we are at the business end of the season now, is it still acceptable to give Chuks Aneke, pain killing injections for a groin strain to give our top scorer a chance to be involved in the vital run in ?

Back in the day this was common practice. How often are pain killers given now for various injuries?
  • Options
    @Dazzler21

He was always making this call re our injuries /training methods 
    take a bow son
  • Options
    Chunes said:

In a lot of cases they were from the "bargain basement" not because they were 3rd tier players but because they had a history of injury - the names Aneke, Page, Innis etc etc spring to mind