Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alastair Thrush leaves as Head of Medical Services / P.3 Danny Murphy appointed

Comments

• I know we've had our troubles this season with some players but it feels that Danny Murphy coming in is whats changed.

Always remember people being unhappy with Williams being taken off @ Brentford but part of me has always wondered if it was Murphy insisting that he had to come off if he was getting close to the red zone in terms of having a new injury.
  • Redrobo said:
    A lot of LB's management style is "old school". We haven't had any training ground injuries since he left have we? 
    Don’t you mean new school? 
    Players are fitter than ever and I doubt we ever got even close last season to the level that Bielsa requires of his players. 

I am not accepting that because a player is better it means that he will also be able to train better and longer than a crap player. The last man standing tests they run at the end of pre season tells you that. 

He admits that players are getting less injuries now and puts it down to them ‘adapting to to the training levels’, I guess that means that they are fitter now. No doubt you will be sending your thanks on to Lee 😉

I remember a TV program that pitted sportsman against each other on a range of physical tests. Amazing how fit the F1 racing drivers were.
    I saw one a long time ago that pitted Ballet dancers against footballers. The Ballet dancers won hands down.
  • edited April 2021
    The second that LB got weird and aggressive that we don't get more training ground injuries was the clear sign that he'd been cracked in this area. The following week, we picked up 2 more in training.
  • edited April 2021
    Usually many factors involved in these things, Bowyer doubtlessly had his part to play. Hell of a coincidence if the players suddenly adapted to Bowyer’s training as soon as Thrush left though. 
  • Swisdom said:
    I was told he is/was obsessed with Bielsa’s methods and couldn’t understand why the players couldn’t adapt.  Certainly explains some of the injuries
    The bielsa Murderball thing looks like a breeding ground for injuries 
  • edited April 2021
    I think deep down we all knew Bowyer and his training methods was causing a lot of the injuries in the champ, even though he denied it on a few occassions.

One of the reasons that former players who played at the highest level rarely make it to the top of the management tree is because they never see their players as being as good as they ever were.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2021
    Redrobo said:
    A lot of LB's management style is "old school". We haven't had any training ground injuries since he left have we? 
    Players are fitter than ever and I doubt we ever got even close last season to the level that Bielsa requires of his players. 

I am not accepting that because a player is better it means that he will also be able to train better and longer than a crap player. The last man standing tests they run at the end of pre season tells you that. 

He admits that players are getting less injuries now and puts it down to them ‘adapting to to the training levels’, I guess that means that they are fitter now. No doubt you will be sending your thanks on to Lee 😉

I remember a TV program that pitted sportsman against each other on a range of physical tests. Amazing how fit the F1 racing drivers were.
    I saw one a long time ago that pitted Ballet dancers against footballers. The Ballet dancers won hands down.
    God only knows we’ve had our fair share of ballet dancers.

The pluses were they could pivot and score, the down side was the amount of times they were pulled up for a high foot.

I guess that why we had so many 2-2's
  • Redrobo said:

Toes down surely?
  • Redrobo said:

The fittest Darren Gough ever was, was when he was on Strictly Come Dancing...
  • I think there might be a lot in the idea that we didnt have the capability or the players to successfuly cope with the intensity Bow sought. However we had a good injury record in his promotion winning team. First half of that season we had hardly any. I was waiting for our luck to run out, but I only recall Bielik of key players being out for any length of time.

its also true that injuries, including hamstrings can occur at any time to any player. 

However I believe that early game hamstrings are considered generally avoidable with the right setups. Wonder whether @Sage agrees?

I’m saying that because yesterday once again half our strike force was out with early game hammy injuries. If just one of them had been available yesterday to come off the bench, I think we’d have won that. So, Bow’s gone, but it looks like some of the problems remain.
  • Sage said:
    I’ve hardly been on here at all for the last couple of months so am bit out of touch of opinions and everything.

However, for Thrush to lay the blame more solely at Bowyer’s door is wrong. As head of medical services, he had far more power and responsibility to put the welfare of the players first if he genuinely believed the training methods were causing problems.

I’d assume the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two opinions.

Now am going back to being idle. 
    I’m sure that’ll be the case.

Just as bringing in Murphy or Adkins won’t solve all our injury problems, we’ll (hopefully) do better through a combination of things.

Having a bigger budget to improve the sports science/medical side. More or better equipment, maybe more staff etc.

An owner willing to spend a reasonable amount on players with good fitness records rather than scraping around for free transfers, loans and cheap bargains.

And doubt many small changes based on what’s gone wrong in the last few years. Just having an owner who’s interested and able to invest will see plenty of improvements around the club.
  • Sage said:
    I’ve hardly been on here at all for the last couple of months so am bit out of touch of opinions and everything.

However, for Thrush to lay the blame more solely at Bowyer’s door is wrong. As head of medical services, he had far more power and responsibility to put the welfare of the players first if he genuinely believed the training methods were causing problems.

I’d assume the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two opinions.

Now am going back to being idle. 
    Maybe Thrush was telling Bowyer to ease off But Bowyer wouldn't listen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    I was told he is/was obsessed with Bielsa’s methods and couldn’t understand why the players couldn’t adapt.  Certainly explains some of the injuries
    Just can't work out, what takes 32 year old injury prone players so long to adapt... very strange that
  • Redrobo said:

I can't remember exactly when, sometime in the late 50's/ early 60's a non league side had a good FA Cup run and the manager credited it to the team doing Ballet training.     
  • I am assuming, and hoping, that the players are in full time and allocating a proportion of each day to  their  specific injury prevention work. Because that is what the very best do. TS wants us to be the best. It is also difficult to develop new habits when you are playing 3 games a week so there may need to be a reset in preseason.
  • @Dazzler21

He was always making this call re our injuries /training methods 
    take a bow son
    The injuries we were getting, it just made sense.

Real shame that couldn't have those extra recovery sessions, or reduced intensity.

Ah well, new man in charge now of both the first team and the medical side. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Chunes said:
    Don't know if anyone caught Alastair Thrush on The Mental Well-Balling Podcast (decent pod with the shittest name). Apologies if this has been covered on another thread but I can't find anything. 

On the pod, Alastair lays the blame for last season's injury crisis at the door of Lee Bowyer. 

He said LB was always eulogizing about the Leeds team and how much running they do, producing these amazing stats about their distance covered, sprints, etc. And always asking why aren't we as fit as Leeds? 

He insinuates our training level was very intense, as Bielsa's famously are, and reckons that our players weren't cut out for it, since they were from the bargain basement, whereas Leeds were paying good money for players with good engines. 

He claims the lack of injuries since his departure is down to players adapting to the training levels over time. 
    Will have a listen to this. From this summary Thush is saying all the time he worked at the club the injuries were due to Bowyer, once Thrush left any decrease in numbers is due to the players now adapting, why were they not adapting whilst he was there?
    I doubt we've kept the same intensity since Adkins has been here. He knows not to overtrain players from his physio days.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Chunes said:
    Don't know if anyone caught Alastair Thrush on The Mental Well-Balling Podcast (decent pod with the shittest name). Apologies if this has been covered on another thread but I can't find anything. 

On the pod, Alastair lays the blame for last season's injury crisis at the door of Lee Bowyer. 

He said LB was always eulogizing about the Leeds team and how much running they do, producing these amazing stats about their distance covered, sprints, etc. And always asking why aren't we as fit as Leeds? 

He insinuates our training level was very intense, as Bielsa's famously are, and reckons that our players weren't cut out for it, since they were from the bargain basement, whereas Leeds were paying good money for players with good engines. 

He claims the lack of injuries since his departure is down to players adapting to the training levels over time. 
    Will have a listen to this. From this summary Thush is saying all the time he worked at the club the injuries were due to Bowyer, once Thrush left any decrease in numbers is due to the players now adapting, why were they not adapting whilst he was there?
    I doubt we've kept the same intensity since Adkins has been here. He knows not to overtrain players from his physio days.
    I'm talking about the period of Thrush leaving until Bowyer left