Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alastair Thrush leaves as Head of Medical Services / P.3 Danny Murphy appointed

Comments

• Options
    I hope he deserved to lose his job.
  • Options
    How do we know that Thrush has left his role, did he tweet it?
  • Options
    Was his sacking first announced via a tweet....  :)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I hope he deserved to lose his job.
    If Thomas thought he needs  replacing that's good enough for me 
  • Options
    I hear the new head of medical Services is a Doctor Randall

A Brief Compendium of Medical Quackery
  • Options
    Isn't that Keohane's dad?
  • Options
    His dad was a dog?
  • Options
    What position does Danny Murphy (the medic not the ex-player) hold in the club and could he be the new head of medical services?
  • Options

It's never nice when someone loses his job but our injuries over the 4 years he has been here have been ridiculous. 
    Not saying he was to blame but if Thomas believes he can bring in someone better then that's fine by me.
    After all it's his club and his money. 

It's amazing what a month and a half can do to attitudes and beliefs we've held for years.

Completely agree with everything else you said though.
  • Options
    I wish Mr Thrush every success in finding a new job. I still think this is good news for the club for two reasons though. Firstly, for a few years now I've been really concerned at the disproportionate number of injuries we seem to have had. I want the very best medical staff we can get for our team. If they've got someone better, that can only be a good thing. Secondly, and even more importantly, if the powers that be are in for a sacking or two, I just relish though thought of who might be next for the old tin tack.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I hear the new head of medical Services is a Doctor Randall

A Brief Compendium of Medical Quackery

Doc Randall's van doesn't seem to be steam driven.

Nothing to see here for pwopa Addicks.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    I see Alfie Spanner had his operation in Princess Grace Hospital - I cannot remember any of our players being treated there previously.

This is part of HCA Healthcare (Hospital Corporation of America) and along with the new hi tech Zynex medical equipment sent to the Club a couple of weeks ago indicates a change in direction of the medical services being provided for the players.

I can only see this as a positive, though am obviously sorry that it's cost someone their job.
    I had a knee op there by the surgeon who did Gazza’s knee. Factoid 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I see Alfie Spanner had his operation in Princess Grace Hospital - I cannot remember any of our players being treated there previously.

This is part of HCA Healthcare (Hospital Corporation of America) and along with the new hi tech Zynex medical equipment sent to the Club a couple of weeks ago indicates a change in direction of the medical services being provided for the players.

I can only see this as a positive, though am obviously sorry that it's cost someone their job.
    I had a knee op there by the surgeon who did Gazza’s knee. Factoid 
    Did my knee op too at Barts
  • Options
    What do people expect when you’re buying cheap, injury prone players to play high intensity football twice a week? 

It might be all his fault but I highly doubt it. Take a look at Twitter and people are happy that a man has lost his job during an economic crisis. 

Best of luck to him and hopefully the replacement is a literal wizard.
    That's an excellent point. Wonder how many people thought of that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sorry to derail , is it true Thomas S is leaving the club, rounds being done on Twitter, if so maybe more to this than. Meets the eye, hope it’s a wind up.
  • Options
    Sorry to derail , is it true Thomas S is leaving the club, rounds being done on Twitter, if so maybe more to this than. Meets the eye, hope it’s a wind up.
    Oh ffs. Surely not
  • Options
    See the bonkers thread.
  • Options
    It seems as if there have been several injured players almost back to fitness who have been hurt again. This would indicate that they probably were coming back before they were ready to. Would think this would be the responsibility of The Head of Medical Services.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I've no idea what happened behind the scenes, or how good he is at his job, but to the outside world it doesn't look great for his reputation, as the implication is that he's partially to blame

Are our medical resources that bad when compared to other clubs in this division anyway? I can't imagine the likes of Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster having better resourced medical departments
    But then what are the injury troubles like @ Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster?

Are we just ignorant of their issues because quite simply we dont care

Way a lot of people talk on Social Media you'd think its only Charlton that get injuries when its certainly not the case
    I've no idea, but when people say that Roland under resourced this department and that department, it does depend on who you compare ourselves with. 

It's the same with the training ground. Against most Championship clubs it looks a bit inadequate, against most L1 sides it looks the height of luxury
    Compare ourselves with anyone, because he didn’t resource or invest in it.
    But that's not true though, as we are in a division where many clubs exist on incredibly tight budgets
    It is true though, because he didn’t invest. Even clubs at our level now still invest as much as they can. Roland chose to neglect it. 
    Do, let's just say Accrington, have anywhere near the medical staff we do?

I get that Roland didn't invest, he didn't invest in anything he didn't think he had to, but I doubt many league 1 clubs had a former arsenal head of medical.

It's like saying he didn't invest in our team, yet we still had one of the biggest league 1 wage bills. 
  • Options
    I think we forget how ruthless Bowyer can be in all this. He has had years of injuries because of such a small squad and who would he take his frustration out on. I think Thrush has probably done nothing wrong at all but a fresh start with a fresh squad and medical team is what he can now afford. It’s probably a punt on getting someone better but probably there isn’t anyone better than the guy they have just sacked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    What do people expect when you’re buying cheap, injury prone players to play high intensity football twice a week? 

It might be all his fault but I highly doubt it. 
    Really don't get this. Throwing all trust towards a man we've never heard from.

If Thomas Sandgaard, who has a strong background in Medical Services, believes he may be able to bring in someone to do a better job than Mr Thrush, who are we to doubt him.
    This decision won't have been taken lightly. It is Sandgaard's club to run as he believes is right and this appears to be the choice arrived at.

I do agree that the behaviour on Social Media is equally weird, celebrating it. 
    I'm not throwing all trust towards a man we've never heard from? I'm stating that it's wrong to scapegoat one man for an issue that's out of his control. As I've already said, we have injury prone players that are overplayed as well as a medical department that is overworked and under-resourced, so it's unfortunate that it's had to come to this.  

As Sage has brilliantly put, this is a multifaceted issue that has been going on for a while. 

I wouldn't care if Sandgaard sacked the entire medical team and replaced it with a new one, he's saved us from oblivion and he can make whatever changes he sees fit. 

On your point on Sandgaard owning a company that makes pain management devices, that doesn't mean he has any great insight into sports medicine - just like the CEO of Greggs doesn't have to know how to make sausage rolls. 
     It's wrong to scapegoat him, however if he's not seen as good enough by the SMT then it's a short sharp decision that they've got the available information to make.

You say the issue was out of the medical team's control, but I don't believe that is entirely true either otherwise it would be a wrongful dismissal claim waiting to happen. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I've no idea what happened behind the scenes, or how good he is at his job, but to the outside world it doesn't look great for his reputation, as the implication is that he's partially to blame

Are our medical resources that bad when compared to other clubs in this division anyway? I can't imagine the likes of Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster having better resourced medical departments
    But then what are the injury troubles like @ Gillingham, Rochdale or Doncaster?

Are we just ignorant of their issues because quite simply we dont care

Way a lot of people talk on Social Media you'd think its only Charlton that get injuries when its certainly not the case
    I've no idea, but when people say that Roland under resourced this department and that department, it does depend on who you compare ourselves with. 

It's the same with the training ground. Against most Championship clubs it looks a bit inadequate, against most L1 sides it looks the height of luxury
    Compare ourselves with anyone, because he didn’t resource or invest in it.
    But that's not true though, as we are in a division where many clubs exist on incredibly tight budgets
    It is true though, because he didn’t invest. Even clubs at our level now still invest as much as they can. Roland chose to neglect it. 
    Do, let's just say Accrington, have anywhere near the medical staff we do?

I get that Roland didn't invest, he didn't invest in anything he didn't think he had to, but I doubt many league 1 clubs had a former arsenal head of medical.

It's like saying he didn't invest in our team, yet we still had one of the biggest league 1 wage bills. 
    This. He may not have invested in the best way, but he certainly did invest quite heavily in the first couple of years with salaries. 
  • Options
    Maybe should look at the training methods as to why so many injuries. Bowyer pushes them hard but we suffered a lot last year from  training ground caused injuries. You can have best medical team but prevention is  better the the cure. Souness at Liverpool mad the squad run long distance  in football trainers and couldn't  understand why had so many ankle injuries.  The people celebrating a man losing his job and living are beneath contempt.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    Sandgaard has brought in two quite high profile managers so I’m sure they have very clear ideas about what they require and who they see taking the club forward in every area of the club. I’m sure that Alastair always did what he thought was best and good luck to him in the future. 
  • Options
    Excellent appointment.