Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:
    So what. Put it right Saturday then onwards and upwards. Freak result, they happen. 
    Probably will be saying the same thing at 5pm on Saturday.

I'm also waiting to see our forwards take advantage of a teams woeful defending. Looking forward to seeing Bogle tap one in from 5 yards when 2 defenders leave it to each other & the keeper fall over the ball. Or is it just us.....
  • Options
    3rd goal came from a well worked set piece
    Which came from a diabolical back pass which went out for a corner.
  • Options
    Having had nearly 24 hours to think about last night's debacle, I still can't fathom out why, when we were 1-0 down after a mistake at the back, we continued to piss about with the ball at the back with tippy-tappy passing!! Why didn't someone, anyone, get a grip and push up the pitch playing quick football? The first half was a horror show, and when Smyth scored it flattered us! We started a little brighter in the 2nd half, but we soon had another defensive cock-up and that was the end, despite a great goal from Aneke. Even then we let another in after the player danced through our non existent defence! LB has got to sort this out and be able to adapt system when it's clear the original one is not working! The way we played in the first 15 minutes should've had alarm bells ringing, sadly not much changed.
    2-1 at half time was a result for us really

I expected Bowyer to make changes at HT and us to "win" the second half
  • Options
    Pratley taking a knee mid game for the 4th goal took the piss
  • Options
    IMO Having 2 make shift central defenders upsets the goalkeeper and midfielders as they just can't rely on them which affects their ability to play their natural game, why LB did not include Barker is a mystery.
    Barker’s 17 and shouldn’t really be near the first team (and only was earlier this season due to a lack of players). I think people are also forgetting that Pearce is unlikely to feature once Inniss and Famewo are fit again and isn’t really the answer to our problems.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    You just know that if Neil Warnock had been our manager last night, with exactly the same available players, we would have won. Pearce would've started, Pratley would've been in midfield and we might have seen Aneke up top with Bogle from the off. 

We can't perform like that again this season and its up to LB and his staff to make sure we don't. 
    Interesting take. What would Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho do? 

Hindsight bias is the key phrase here. We could have done all of that and still lost, with Chuks and Pearce likely breaking down.
    The players have to own the mistakes for the first two goals. If they were to do the same thing on Saturday I don't imagine Lee will be happy.
  • Options
    Evesham - I don't know if you realised but we do have a lack of players for central defence, in fact we haven't got any so why not give a 17 year old who has done well so far another go, I believe other teams play youngsters from time to time.
    I agree but Bows could have brought him in when Famewo was first out injured. Perhaps he’ll play on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Evesham - I don't know if you realised but we do have a lack of players for central defence, in fact we haven't got any so why not give a 17 year old who has done well so far another go, I believe other teams play youngsters from time to time.
    I agree but Bows could have brought him in when Famewo was first out injured. Perhaps he’ll play on Saturday.
    He might be only 17, but Barker played very well against Plymouth Argyle in the Cup, a fortnight ago.

Argyle played their unchanged full strength League side. 
    Suggests to me that Barker could have aquitted himself well once more, if called upon.

• Options
    Maybe a passing map will cheer us all up

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Evidence that we didn't really get the ball out of defence. Also shows why we're not lumping it long...
  • Options
    Burton pass completion stats are dreadful. How the f*ck did we lose to these lot?

• Options
    they scored more goals than us
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I notice Matthews map shows that every time he got out on the wing he passed it back inside instead of trying to swing a ball in. Only once did he put an unsuccessful cross in.

Whereas Maatsen on the other side is barely better than 50/50 on whether his pass finds a red shirt. He had a night to forget.
  • Options
    Burton pass completion stats are dreadful. How the f*ck did we lose to these lot?

Because we got the assists for their goals...
  • Options
    Oh is that how football works? 
  • Options
    Pearce and Pratley for Saturday please.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    With a rough count up, I make it that Burton had twelve passes completed into our penalty area while Charlton had 20 passes completed into their penalty area. We created better openings than they did. 

Fortunately for them, they didn’t have to create anything because we gifted them at least three of the four goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We gave them two goals.
  • Options
    You can excuse losing the ball when attacking a bit more, but Maatsen's pass map inside his own half is terrible

Smyth's isn't great either, in that he only made 6 successful passes, all backwards and of those 3 were when we were kicking off!
  • Options
    yes both sides had the same number of shots, they scored we didn't, simple!
  • Options

Simple indeed. Yep, we certainly need a couple of out and out driving strikers/attacking midfielders come the January window, in the Taylor/Gallagher/Cullen mode, who will consistently and confidently punch into the box, and unerringly find the back of the net. Hopefully Steve Gallen has best prospects in his sights. They're needed to drive us up to automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Watching Quest now, Cardiff lose 1-0, after giving the ball away while trying to play from the back...
  • Options
    Watching Quest now, Cardiff lose 1-0, after giving the ball away while trying to play from the back...
    It is somewhat ironic that the whole point of playing it out from the back is to avoid losing possession from a punt upfield when, if a team gets it wrong, it is ten times more likely to lead to a goal to the opposition!
    I blame Pep with the obsession with passing from the back and especially with turning goalkeepers into creative passers of the ball!
  • Options
    Get Davison back in and play him in the first half at least instead of Bogle.
      Desperately need Famewo back and possibly Innis.
      Albie Morgan needs to start
  • Options
    It is somewhat ironic that the whole point of playing it out from the back is to avoid losing possession from a punt upfield when, if a team gets it wrong, it is ten times more likely to lead to a goal to the opposition!
    I blame Pep with the obsession with passing from the back and especially with turning goalkeepers into creative passers of the ball!
    I'd love to see Pep in L1 managing a team like Rochdale. He'd soon abandon his football philosophy.
  • Options
    When Amos was man of the match for us against Gillingham the writing was on the wall, he had too much to do against a shit side and we couldn’t keep Burton out like we did the `gills