Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    Watching a replay of the first two goals you have to wonder why both Gunter and Amos were so switched off? Even after Gunter's mistake Amos should have saved the first and then he decides to give away another goal.

Don't pass it around at the back if your players make such basic mistakes.
    Despite Gunter’s mistake Amos should have prevented the first goal. But he’s good at taking catches so it’s not really an issue ......
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Watching a replay of the first two goals you have to wonder why both Gunter and Amos were so switched off? Even after Gunter's mistake Amos should have saved the first and then he decides to give away another goal.

Amos did save the first one on one but unfortunately the ball ran loose and the Burton forward, who had the advantage of being on his feet whereas Amos had dived, got there before Pratley could cover.
  • Options
    I haven't watched the game, nor have I read all the comments, three or four pages were enough.

Gunter has been criticised but two matches ago he was being praised, having slotted seamlessly into the CB position. Pratley is obviously fit but should a 35 year-old play more minutes than any other outfield player? Maatsen has been excellent, maybe needed a rest.

I midfield, I was very surprised to see Gilbey starting. He looked very rusty on Saturday and surely needed another game or two on the bench. Same with Maddison; is he up to speed with the rest of the team.

Up front I like what I've seen of Bogle but he's not being used to his strenths; holding up the ball to bring others into play. It sounds as though, like Saturday, there's thos obsession of building slowly from the back. It needs mixing, surely. Sometimes it's worth getting the ball upfisld quickly and with Bogle and Chuks we have players that can take advantage of this. Maybee it'll change as Pearce and Innis aren't subtle ball players!

But I've seen this sort of result plenty of times in my many years as a Charlton fan. It was Golfie in the preview, I think, who said we're on an eight match unbeaten run, Burton are bottom of the table with three consecutive defeats. Only one possible result.....and he got it spot on!
  • Options
    One thing i don't understand is that Pearce played 45 minutes 2 weeks ago. How can he not be fit to start a game by now? He absolutely needs to start at Ipswich. 

Morgan should start, so too Aneke.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Ultimately i'm not going to over react too much. Yes it's been 2 poor games, and if we don't get something at Ipswich then we will have well and truly lost momentum but.........we do have injuries (surprise surprise), it's still a fairly new team, it's a first defeat in 9 games and we're still in the play offs.

A win at Ipswich and we could go third so it's really not time to panic just yet. 
  • Options
    Passing out has worked well this season apart from the last two games , when Pratley wasn’t in midfield making angles. The back four need options on the ball and although it’s difficult to see exactly why they didn’t have enough, it did seem early second half that Maddison didn’t seem to fancy taking the ball off them.

Maatsen has been one of our best players but he needs a rest now and Purrington needs to come in.

i agree, it is odd that Pearce is still not playing after a half last week.
  • Options
    Piss poor from start to finish. 1 point against Gillingham and Burton is unacceptable. However it it doesn’t do any harm to be brought down a peg or 2 sometimes. Only real shining light was the goal from Aneke. 

Maddison and Gilbey are nowhere near fit enough to be playing. 
    Too many players either went missing or had shockers.
  • Options
    We’ve gone from invincible to looking like we can’t win for toffee ...

there really were people saying we won’t lose more than a couple more this season !

I predicted a play off loss this season and see no reason to change although even I was thinking we’d be knocking on top 2’s door but I still don’t think we’ve ever got going yet and what with injuries and whatever not sure we ever will be able to .

I’m most disappointed that the “we should be grateful we’ve got a club to support” rhetoric hasn’t come out 

I’d take a point at Ipswich now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The chopping and changing is fine, as long as whoever is coming in knows how to play together.  They didn’t have a clue last night.  

I appreciate the defensive changes have been forced upon him by injury, so this is more a point about the midfield and the forwards 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I actually am finding myself starting to agree with a number of your comments. That's a sad day ;)

I do think Aneke and Washington can reach 30 between them. Bogle may get 5, but I'm not sure how many will be clear cut shots. Smyth I'd expect 5 as well. A whole 40 goals... woo. 
    Which is one more than Taylor, Grant, Parker, Ajose and Igor got....... 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Opponent coaches must be able to read our style of play so easily and counter it.

Well done Chucks and Morgan. We've handed out starting spots to Maddison and Bogle too easily today. 
    Ipswich coach "for all their possession they only pass it across the back, pressure their back four and the will hoof it up field or make a  mistake"
  • Options
    You can’t give anyone a two goal lead and that’s exactly what we did, we gifted it to them. Why oh why do we keep tippy tapping around on the edge of our own box? It cost us on a number of occasions last season too. If you want to pass it back and forth do it in their half.

Very poor performance. Couldn’t string more than a couple of passes together and we looked vulnerable every time they came forward. Thought Maddison and Shinnie were awful as were the back five excluding Matthews. Watson still has not impressed although he has improved. 

Big game Saturday after they got thumped by Hull at home. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Amos did save the first one on one but unfortunately the ball ran loose and the Burton forward, who had the advantage of being on his feet whereas Amos had dived, got there before Pratley could cover.
    I thought he could have done better with the first to get the ball to safety - there have been a few occasions when making a save this season that he hasn't got the ball away from the goal. Even the parry before their third goal doesn't look convincing.

It's pretty evident from last night that if you close us down we will make mistakes. Hopefully concentration levels will be better by Saturday.

Like others on here I'm not sure how strong this squad is. 

• Options
    Last nights game was a blip, completely agree with Bowyers press conference after the game... We have had an amazing start under a team who are still gelling together as a unit. This is a wake up call to the lads and I'm sure they will go to Ipswich and do us proud. As well we haven't got a proper CB at the minute. If we lose one game in every 9 games then I will be well chuffed with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Found Maatsen's performance baffling, what's happened to him in the past 2? Genuinely think I could've done better than him out there tonight ffs. Onto the next one, think Saturdays game is a perfect opportunity for us. 
    I think Matsaan is suffering because he does not have the security of Innis and Famewo.With those two he could be a bit more adventurous knowing he was covered if he got caught out.I think there is a case for Purrington and Pratley at centre backs,Pratley is right footed but many times was on the left and just had no option other than to play Matsaan in when a crossfield long pass would have been better.
  • Options
    Last nights game was a blip, completely agree with Bowyers press conference after the game... We have had an amazing start under a team who are still gelling together as a unit. This is a wake up call to the lads and I'm sure they will go to Ipswich and do us proud. As well we haven't got a proper CB at the minute. If we lose one game in every 9 games then I will be well chuffed with that.
    If we play like we did last night we will struggle. The first two goals were given away and there's no point using injuries as an excuse.

I'm unclear why Pearce didn't start - Lee starts other players who are not 100% match fit.

If Ipswich watch last night's game they'll know what to target. Hopefully mistakes won't be repeated.
  • Options
    If we play like we did last night we will struggle. The first two goals were given away and there's no point using injuries as an excuse.

I'm unclear why Pearce didn't start - Lee starts other players who are not 100% match fit.

If Ipswich watch last night's game they'll know what to target. Hopefully mistakes won't be repeated.
    Football is football, it's all about turning up on the day, Burton did last night, we didn't. I would love for us to win every game from now till the end of the season but it's not going to happen and I'm not saying this is the last time we will play like we did last night because it will happen again this season but very rarely. Like I also said if we lose one game in 9 for the rest of the campaign then that's playoffs form at least.
  • Options

Football is football, it's all about turning up on the day, Burton did last night, we didn't. I would love for us to win every game from now till the end of the season but it's not going to happen and I'm not saying this is the last time we will play like we did last night because it will happen again this season but very rarely. Like I also said if we lose one game in 9 for the rest of the campaign then that's playoffs form at least.
    Like you I would love it if we did well but we were shambolic last night - we shipped 4 goals against the bottom team in L1. I'd have been less concerned at a narrow defeat.

Good teams are built on a solid defence - there was little evidence of that last night. If you close us down we panic - I'm not sure what LB will change on Saturday?

If we start the same players on Saturday and continue to play out from the back in a pedestrian/predictable manner I can't see how it can work.

• Options
    The last two games have been concerning, I'm not so sure there will be a quick fix for Saturday. We need to go back to basics and stop overplaying at the back. 
  • Options
    The last two games have been concerning, I'm not so sure there will be a quick fix for Saturday. We need to go back to basics and stop overplaying at the back. 
    Entirely agree with you. Regardless of the result on Saturday I'd like a solid defensive display - no problem if our football is a little more industrial.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    We haven't really been convincing and having beaten 6 bottom sides we've racked up points.
    Last night was a a shambles and back to square pegs round holes. 

If Maddison and Gilbey need minutes put them in the u23s.
    Morgan has to start, I get the Chuks situation. 
    If Pearce is the answer then I'm stumped

Top teams stick to a shape, a plan and let other teams worry about them

Last night we started off slow, nonchalent, and veery, very predictable. We had no idea what to do other than pass it forward once then sideways, backwards and then repeat, it's been the way we play for a year now. It's pretty boring, especially passing free kicks in the opposition half back to the keeper or a CH on the edge of the box.

We looked like a pub team after a night on the piss last night and If I was losing 50m a year on it I'd want some answers why. 

Has to improve after that, it can't fail too get better. 
  • Options
    Come on Lee we've got to try and make Aneke last 90mins.
  • Options
    Come on Lee we've got to try and make Aneke last 90mins.

Or at least 70