Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    There's definitely something wrong with our midfield. We have a lot of options, but somehow don't seem to have much energy or pace, I actually thought Pratley improved things when we moved into midfield late in the game, as he has more energy than some of the other options, and is faster than you'd expect. At least he was hassling them a bit, as today the game passed Watson and Gilbey by. 

Fraser joined MKD late, but since the 3rd October has started ALL their league games, playing the full 90 in the majority of them and only going off early once (due to a knock). No sign that HE needs to be rotated

Players are different. You could easily say the same about Shinnie or Bogle. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Got to query team selection. Chuks should be starting ahead of Bogle. And then there’s Purrington! Anyone know what’s happened to Barker?
    Aneke can't manage a 90 (though I think playing him the first 60 is better), Barker apparently could suffer a career threatening mistake (Bowyers opinion)
    That last sentence is utter tosh. If LB has said that then he hasn't a clue. Career threatening mistake  ?? Wtf ?? I've heard it all now... 
    Well Bent’s career sort of went downhill when he missed that chance Sandra would have scored ...
  • Options
    “We've been wanting them to come back from day one. Even with 2,000 I expected it to be non-stop singing and pushing them. It was very, very quiet apart from some negative shouting. I get the players didn't do very much to get them on their feet."

It would be quiet when your midfield gets run over time and time again and 90% of the fans know it’s only a matter of time. I love the man but that’s fucking poor form.
  • Options
    Got what we deserved - zilch.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Fuck me, some people trying to twist that to Bowyer is blaming the fans?

Probably best I avoid this thread tonight and tomorrow.

PS @sage got his preview spot on about MK

Lee Bowyer's red and white army

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-i-was-hoping-for-more-positive-backing-from-charlton-fans-on-return-to-the-valley/

Have a look at that... Bowyer has taken the absolute piss. As someone who was there 1.5hrs before kick off ready to cheer the boys on, with at least half of the crowd being either Children or 'older', please forgive us for not singing start to finish with a drum for 90 minutes while that team did next to nothing. The setup was totally inept, the tactics were bang off and playing on Saturday is no excuse. 

For the first time, my attention is on Bowyer. If you have players in your lineup like Maddison, Shinnie, Gilbey, Watson, Gunter, Washington and you can't get them creating, then maybe your system needs some attention, rather than the fans.
    But then he isnt blaming the fans for the performance

“I’ve just said to them in there, if you can’t play in front of 2,000 then stop the game now. Because this stadium will be full again – 2,000 is not a big amount of people, so you shouldn’t get nervous and doing the wrong thing or hiding from the ball. None of them did that.

“Listen, the players didn’t really do too much to get people on their feet – but sometimes they need a bit of help, and that’s what our fans are great at.
    The team has done perfectly fine without fans present for the last few months. Im sure the fans gave their all tonight, and when you get played off the park by MK Dons, even the best fans in the world aren't gonna break windows with their noise. Yes Lee isn't blaming the fans for the performance, but to call them out at all is bullshit. I've always had one gripe with Bowyer, that he doesn't hold himself accountable nearly enough, and tonight I could not be more pissed about it. 
  • Options
    PWW (Posting without watching)

What is it with midweek games? In fact any game that isn't a 3pm kick-off? Is there something different with the preparation? is it the constant tinkering by Bowyer, which despite injuries hasn't always been a necessity?

I did the sums for last season a while ago and there must be something in the stats. Last season in the Championship we played 23 games at 3pm, picking up 34 points. The same number of games with kick-offs at other times provided us with 14 points.

Is it just me or does this statistic seem very odd?

We've just lost two consecutive midweek league games to supposedly lesser opposition. I hope we're not going to fall back into last season's midweek form.
  • Options
    We’re getting found out.

A good test for Bowyer. Curbs’ greatest skill was early tactical changes when things went wrong, both during games and between games. Unless some fundamental changes are made more defeats are on the cards.

Credit to MK Dons who played very well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not got over board with Bowyers comments please. He's a decent manager at this level but he's also a hot head which we all know and I'm surprised it's taken this long for him to open his mouth and upset us all. I see him as a very watered down Roy Keane so I half expect it, not that I agree with his comments. Alex Ferguson the greatest manager of my generation never bad mouthed the club (players, fans, board etc) in public which built a layer of respect from the club & players. Obviously things went off behind the scenes but most things never went public. Even the Beckham boot fiasco disappeared pretty quickly. 
    Bowyer was pissed off, frustrated and lashing out. I'm sure when he's calmed down he'll realise his mistakes and might even issue a apology. 
  • Options
    Gilbey should’ve come off at half-time. But one or two passes he made no impact. Need to say no more about bogle. I thought this was a good half for Madison and some of those crosses were very very good. They were doing to us what we should have been doing to them which was pressing them in midfield all the time.In fairness to bowyer we did have lots of chances but squandered them. Our defence did not defend; they were able to run at us at will, pass us by, and in general look so much stronger than us in attack.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently there was booing after the game. Yes we were shit but christ that's moronic.
    Yeah could hear it on the stream
    That was absolutely ridiculous. That's what happens when all the moaners go at once...
  • Options
    Regarding my comment on madders boots it was purely a minor comment - I’m not digging the player out it’s the same annoyance as being served a pint in a different branded glass - minor, I wrote quite a lengthy post about him being tainted the same as Tony watt due to tattoos and our some of our fans not getting off his back. He was clearly the best player last night and done something. 
  • Options
    Can someone please explain to me why we persist with a makeshift centre back pairing when Pearce has been on the bench for the past few games. He played a half at the start of November, so he's surely fit enough to start a game by now.
  • Options
    As others have picked up on, and I think Greg Stubley mentioned it during his commentary last night, we have no set shape and we started with 2 up top, that then became 4-5-1 with Washington going wide.  It was 4-3-3 at the start of the second half that then just disintegrated into a mess as the game went on.

I think we flatter to deceive with these little triangles in and around our defence via Watson, and to be honest, a lot of people said Washington was one of the only players to come out of the game with any credit, but he didn’t really do anything on the ball when he came short.

I really think Bowyer needs to work out was his best XI looks like and the style of play he wants to adopt.  We have a big squad, but we don’t have quality.  We can’t rotate like Guardiola can at Man City, because we don’t have the talent.  I mean even Klopp with all his available talent seems to pick a fairy consistent line up when he doesn’t have injuries.

look at two seasons ago.  That midfield 4 of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams was fairly settled for the most part.  Pratley may come in from time to time, but it was a settled unit.  Until we get that then we’re going to continue to turn in performances like we did last night 

I appreciate Gilbey has only just come back from injury, but the jury’s still out for me on his ability.  Apart from the run toward the end of the first half, I thought he was anonymous.  We need Famewo and Inniss back, that’s for sure.  The only worry I have is when they’re both back is Bowyer’s fetish for Pratley and Watson in the middle.

i think we have big challenges that we need to address if we want to get out of this league 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer does not get a free pass this season. He either takes us up or we get rid of him. Massive o.g  from him tonight, blaming the fans. Someone should have a word in his ear about what happened to Andy Nelson. Welcome back to the valley and btw its your fault we lost. He has no idea what Charlton fans have been through and to call us out in the middle of the pandemic is unforgivable. He needs to have a look at himself and apologise to the fans for his insulting comments.
    Football fans at their best.  So if you bring another manager in and has a s*** 3 months you bring sonebody else in.

"There we are Lee, we have faith in you, sign this 3 year contract.  You are the man to lead us forward, we have patience and will give you time".
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    After sleeping on that. 

Lets all be honest at the start of the season we could easily have found ourselves in the position Wigan are in.  We aren't.  We are 4th.

Bowyer has SOME questions to answer re tactics and motivation of the players.  With the probable exception of Amos and Morgan EVERY player is having too many bad games.  By that I mean below their par.  Individually they are all better than that, and have shown it at times already this season. 

For a team that had so many experienced players in it, probably approaching 4000 professional games, there is a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  Can't they see it and react to it? 

I don't honestly think a single on of them is "here for the money", they are here to play. 

Charlie Barker is not the answer. He is an U18 who came in, because of the "situation" and did OK.  In fact he did better than OK for such a young inexperienced player. Being honest though if he was a 25 year old signing he would probably get a lot more critiscm, and it's right he doesn't.  But he isn't a Gomez, a Bowyer or a Shelvey.  He is one for the future, not the now. On the other hand what is Mingi doing at the club, being that much older, if he can't even get on the bench when we have no center halves at all?

Lastly it's very damming of Bowyer, and his staff, that the team was playing better when they weren't training and playing as a scratch team every 3 or 4 days.  Something isn't right. Hopefully Bowyer can sort that out because I really want him to succeed after everything he has been through. 
    I appreciate people see things differently, however, for me, I do not really understand comments like this. We are 4th in the league, and have experienced players like Watson, Pratley, and Gunter in the team - and have one of the best defensive records in the league. 

It seems to be a default fan theory that when you team lose a game its because they lacked desire or didn't want it more than the opposition. I think fans struggle to appreciate that players are human and some days they will just perform badly (Burton), or others a team will be better than them (MK Dons). 
  • Options
    Get the feeling some of the players think that they only have to turn up to beat some of the teams in this division. Either our quality is not as good as we think and some other teams are much better at dealing with our current paucity at centre half position and taking advantage.

Well off the pace last night, beaten by the better side whose use of triangles and quick movement in midfield made us look poor.

Gutted.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for those that went last night - it must have been hugely disappointing to watch.

It is worrying to have played so poorly against both Burton and MK Dons. Don't seem to be many positives. The 'easy' fixtures are the ones we are losing.

• Options
    Can someone please explain to me why we persist with a makeshift centre back pairing when Pearce has been on the bench for the past few games. He played a half at the start of November, so he's surely fit enough to start a game by now.
    Surely Pearce and Fanwo (sp) could've played a half each !!....madness 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    After sleeping on that. 

Lets all be honest at the start of the season we could easily have found ourselves in the position Wigan are in.  We aren't.  We are 4th.

Bowyer has SOME questions to answer re tactics and motivation of the players.  With the probable exception of Amos and Morgan EVERY player is having too many bad games.  By that I mean below their par.  Individually they are all better than that, and have shown it at times already this season. 

For a team that had so many experienced players in it, probably approaching 4000 professional games, there is a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  Can't they see it and react to it? 

I don't honestly think a single on of them is "here for the money", they are here to play. 

Charlie Barker is not the answer. He is an U18 who came in, because of the "situation" and did OK.  In fact he did better than OK for such a young inexperienced player. Being honest though if he was a 25 year old signing he would probably get a lot more critiscm, and it's right he doesn't.  But he isn't a Gomez, a Bowyer or a Shelvey.  He is one for the future, not the now. On the other hand what is Mingi doing at the club, being that much older, if he can't even get on the bench when we have no center halves at all?

Lastly it's very damming of Bowyer, and his staff, that the team was playing better when they weren't training and playing as a scratch team every 3 or 4 days.  Something isn't right. Hopefully Bowyer can sort that out because I really want him to succeed after everything he has been through. 
    I appreciate people see things differently, however, for me, I do not really understand comments like this. We are 4th in the league, and have experienced players like Watson, Pratley, and Gunter in the team - and have one of the best defensive records in the league. 

It seems to be a default fan theory that when you team lose a game its because they lacked desire or didn't want it more than the opposition. I think fans struggle to appreciate that players are human and some days they will just perform badly (Burton), or others a team will be better than them (MK Dons). 
    I was meaning more along the lines of conceding the second goal at Burton, in light of the 1st one, of getting over run in midfield last night, of the right hand side being exposed etc.  The subtle little things that if amatures can see it why can't the senior pros both see it and react to it? 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I've only watched the last two matches on the Pass, so I admittedly have limited experience of the current crop of players but I'm not going to let that or my lack of footballing nous stop me from putting my twopenneth in. 

We all need to remember that just a short time ago, our squad wasn't worthy of the name and IF the club had survived, we were going down for sure. 

Thomas saved the club but getting a competitive squad together in the circumstances was a tall order. Galleon and Bowyer managed that and all credit to them. The only thing I couldn't understand at the time was why we didn't go for replacement for Lyle. 

Based on my very limited experience, here are observations on players that have caught my eye for whatever reason.

I like Amos, Famewo, Washington, Smyth, Matthews and Aneke. (edit I forgot to include Morgan) 

I think that Maddison could do a good job for us if used better or with different players around him.

Gilbey does too many things wrong and am not impressed. 

Bogle is a waste of space and brings nothing to the team, his first touch is dreadful, can't hold the ball up and bring others into play and appears to have no instinct for goal. So many moves broke down because he lost the ball. I wouldn't play him again by choice. 

Of course, I've not watched a match with our first choice CB pairing which may change things significantly, but I certainly don't see a team going straight up in a top 2 position. I also wonder if Bowyer has fallen out with some of the players looking at the body language. 

• Options
    People booed?! Players would rather the fans didn't come lol.