Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    So then, how would you define our style of play? What is our "Plan A?" 

To me, it is to stay in shape, each player to give it his all and we might create and opening or perform a bit of magic. 
  • Options
    Just a thought, i wasn't there last night but hear from the comments
    on this thread about the lack of singing etc from Bow, he must know
    that it is impossible with masks, and also not allowed currently.
    So, question; Is it allowed for there to be played over public address
    crowd noise and reactions, which may help to lift things a bit, it always
    feels so sterile, and as i said, just a suggestion?
  • Options
    Just a thought, i wasn't there last night but hear from the comments
    on this thread about the lack of singing etc from Bow, he must know
    that it is impossible with masks, and also not allowed currently.
    So, question; Is it allowed for there to be played over public address
    crowd noise and reactions, which may help to lift things a bit, it always
    feels so sterile, and as i said, just a suggestion?
    Found it interesting at an away game recently - They had similar fake background noice

Commentators mentioned that it was something we trialled during Project Restart yet had decided to abandon it
  • Options
    I wonder how other teams would manage with the defensive problems weve been having?
    Pratley not far off pension age having to play twice a week at the back with someone whose also not playing in his preferred position.
    One thing I dont want to see is players being rushed back from injury or playing with an injury.
    If that means having to play Gunter and Pratley at the back for a couple more games then so be it.

• Options
    gives me no pleasure and didn't see the game but sounds like i didn't need to as exactly what i said on the pre match thread happened - that starting line up had no threat going forwards and if you don't have that, nothing else is ever right - obvious to me, roll on the window.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    We were shit - apart from Amos who nearly won us a point single handed. MK Dons were very good. Bowyer is totally out of order. Loved being back at the Valley, despite everything.

We won't be that bad twice in a row. Expecting a much better performance and three points at Shrewsbury on Saturday.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    LB also said "Everything we set out to do first half it worked."

Hmmm... Ok then.
    I assumed he was misquoted when he said this. It reminded me of Katrine Meire's line that every manager she had hired had improved the league position when, er, they hadn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:
    Was surrounded in the East Stand by a lot of foul mouthed tossers. The hot chocolate was shit. Totally and utterly outplayed by MK Dons. Is Gilbey a footballer? How the hell has Lewington never played at a higher level? Glasses kept steaming up because of the bloody mask. 
    On a brighter note, parked outside the main entrance -superb.
    I live in  Charlton Lane and last night saw as many cars as when we have a 20,000 gate. Most must have driven. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Let’s see how we look when we get a proper centre back pairing back.  I would be tempted to put Pearce and Famewo in, but they’re both left footed and recently returning from injury.  

I just think if you compare our 2 league one promotion winning teams with this one, we’re sorely lacking at the moment 
    Or a centre-forward pairing.
  • Options
    as a minor note Maddison’s odd boots really annoy me - they just look strange. 
    It's to help him remember which foot to shoot with. Fashion victim.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Vfrf said:
    Got to query team selection. Chuks should be starting ahead of Bogle. And then there’s Purrington! Anyone know what’s happened to Barker?
    Aneke can't manage a 90 (though I think playing him the first 60 is better), Barker apparently could suffer a career threatening mistake (Bowyers opinion)
    That last sentence is utter tosh. If LB has said that then he hasn't a clue. Career threatening mistake  ?? Wtf ?? I've heard it all now... 
    If that's what Bowyer really thinks, why play him in a couple of games already? The lad is 17 and we expect a few mistakes. To his credit he hasn't made any. If you asked him if he wanted to play and risk a mistake, I know what he would say.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Got to query team selection. Chuks should be starting ahead of Bogle. And then there’s Purrington! Anyone know what’s happened to Barker?
    Aneke can't manage a 90 (though I think playing him the first 60 is better), Barker apparently could suffer a career threatening mistake (Bowyers opinion)
    That last sentence is utter tosh. If LB has said that then he hasn't a clue. Career threatening mistake  ?? Wtf ?? I've heard it all now... 
    If that's what Bowyer really thinks, why play him in a couple of games already? The lad is 17 and we expect a few mistakes. To his credit he hasn't made any. If you asked him if he anted to play and risk a mistake, I know what he would say.
    I agree that Bows comments in this regard don't make sense overall but I'm sure he would say the games that Barker originally played was he simply had no one else due to the mess the club were in, that is not the case with squad numbers now. 
  • Options
    @PragueAddick, that looks like detention for Bows and the coaching team:

"we injured him" - write this on the physio wall 50 times, per injured player in training. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Vfrf said:
    If that's what Bowyer really thinks, why play him in a couple of games already? The lad is 17 and we expect a few mistakes. To his credit he hasn't made any. If you asked him if he anted to play and risk a mistake, I know what he would say.
    I agree that Bows comments in this regard don't make sense overall but I'm sure he would say the games that Barker originally played was he simply had no one else due to the mess the club were in, that is not the case with squad numbers now. 
    To be fair, I have just checked and the two games Barker played in were both Cup games and we know Bowyer doesn't care about them.
  • Options
    as a minor note Maddison’s odd boots really annoy me - they just look strange. 
    It's to help him remember which foot to shoot with. Fashion victim.
    Or maybe one has better support or padding around the recently injured area

• Options
    mendonca said:
    So then, how would you define our style of play? What is our "Plan A?" 

To me, it is to stay in shape, each player to give it his all and we might create and opening or perform a bit of magic. 
    Each player must complete 

10 forward passes, 25 sideways passes, 30 backwards passes, 2 overhit crosses, and win 3 flick ons to nobody.

Of course not forgetting 1 shot every half hour. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like everybody else, massively pissed off last night, especially as I was so up for it, with all the background mood music. Of course I should have known better but I didn't expect anything that bad.
    And of course Bow made a massive mistake with his comments about the fans.

But....

Look at the table. Look at where we are. Now look down the other end and find Wigan, a team that should not even be in this division this season. That's where we'd be, if Thomas had not come along. 

Even when he came along it was miraculous that Bow and Gallen could have managed to still pull in the players they did in the time they had. Not just because it was so late, the season already a month old, but for another reason which too many people here have forgotten...

Due to the salary cap, there were a fair few fans in that 2,000 crowd who earned more last month (£6k) than every one of those players out there. That's what Bow had to work with. Now let's remind ourselves what else he had to work with.

* we had one player who started like he was going to tear up the division. Doughty. He got injured. Probably a freak one, but you wonder about whether he'd received the best fitness/conditioning regime for his physical game.
    * Strikers are always the most difficult to find. Two seasons ago Bow secured Taylor in the face of Sunderland competition. He started with Karlan Grant whom they had whacked into shape mentally. This time, we had one decent striker, Aneke who'd had persistent injury problems and started true to fitness form. And got Covid. We brought in Washington and someone called Omar Bogle. What better did we expect, 4 weeks after the season started, at 1500/week?
    * We managed to get the highly rated Alex Gilbey. Almost immediately we injured him. In training.
    * we managed to sign the talented but controversial Marcus Maddison. Almost immediately we injured him. In training. And this was a player with a good injury record before then (as Taylor had)
    * We brought in Innis and Famewo and far faster than anyone could have expected they formed a formidable partnership. So what did we do? In short order both got injured, one in training, and we had already injured the other two, in training. Let me run that past you again. In two months we injured all four centre backs, three of them in training.
    *JFC is injured again. In training, again. He's hardly had a run since his injury at Bristol City last season.
    *Smyth has looked good in the last two games, but he is injured too now (albeit a regular match injury)

We all know this, though the list is quite stark set out like that, isn't it. But here's my question. Having had to deal with all the above, how could any manager know what his best eleven is? Let alone adopt a settled style of play, tactical responses, etc. 

Yet despite all that, we are still in the play off zone.

And I'm reading people on here saying Bow's not all that, he never had any offers, blah blah. All because he lost it a bit in a post match conference. Fuck that. Frankly, I could do without post match conferences, period. They don't lose football matches. What loses football matches are the consequences of what's being going on at our club and the stripping bare of essential medical/fitness resources without which even Man City would struggle to cope.

There, I feel better now....
    Well, if we're injuring all these players in training you've got to ask WTF are they doing in training?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @PragueAddick, that looks like detention for Bows and the coaching team:

"we injured him" - write this on the physio wall 50 times, per injured player in training. 
    That's not my take at all. By "we" I mean the Club. The Club that didn't have a Championship level backroom set up in the Championship because, Duchatelet. And so obviously had an even worse setup after that, because Southall, Nimer,Farnell, Elliott. And which recently felt moved to part company with its head of medical. 

I'll certainly be interested to hear Thomas take on the situation in more detial at the Q&A next week. It's already clear he is taking an interest. But you can't just bring in a whole new medical fitness personnel and regime just like that, any more than you can sign another Lyle Taylor, 4 weeks into the season, on £1.5/week.
  • Options
    Utter guff but predictable
    3 wins in 14 MK Brazil1970 had ffs 
    we are lame 

Bowyers comments are naive(leave me to slag our support off Lee ) we haven’t got the passionate support of Leeds or Newcastle, we need a following wind to get behind the team , ‘‘twas ever thus 
    and of course the strange set up of COVID time footy will not help at all 

the shameful thing is that the new team played better when they had less coaching and had just come together , the more they’ve been here they’re getting charltonised and becoming pedestrian .
    Maddison showed progression and attacking intent although it took him 20 mins or so to get there but with no instinctive strikers in there to finish it off it was all fruitless but a good sign .
    Washington grafts but his inability to take on the early shot didn’t help.
    Amos again saved us from a spanking .
    We’re going backwards alarmingly and I believe autos are gonna be too much without a miracle January window .

5%    Automatic promotion
    65%   Play offs 
    30% 7th-12th

• Options
    They're all freak injuries. One after the other. No further analysis allowed.
  • Options
    January window (with a supportive owner) is gaining importance by the week. Might be worth looking no further than the two teams which have beaten us in recent games. Burton's Powell and any one of three or four of the MK Dons forward line would be very handy additions in this league. Should mention a shout out for Amos who is pulling off some great saves.
  • Options
    Like everybody else, massively pissed off last night, especially as I was so up for it, with all the background mood music. Of course I should have known better but I didn't expect anything that bad.
    And of course Bow made a massive mistake with his comments about the fans.

But....

Look at the table. Look at where we are. Now look down the other end and find Wigan, a team that should not even be in this division this season. That's where we'd be, if Thomas had not come along. 

Even when he came along it was miraculous that Bow and Gallen could have managed to still pull in the players they did in the time they had. Not just because it was so late, the season already a month old, but for another reason which too many people here have forgotten...

Due to the salary cap, there were a fair few fans in that 2,000 crowd who earned more last month (£6k) than every one of those players out there. That's what Bow had to work with. Now let's remind ourselves what else he had to work with.

* we had one player who started like he was going to tear up the division. Doughty. He got injured. Probably a freak one, but you wonder about whether he'd received the best fitness/conditioning regime for his physical game.
    * Strikers are always the most difficult to find. Two seasons ago Bow secured Taylor in the face of Sunderland competition. He started with Karlan Grant whom they had whacked into shape mentally. This time, we had one decent striker, Aneke who'd had persistent injury problems and started true to fitness form. And got Covid. We brought in Washington and someone called Omar Bogle. What better did we expect, 4 weeks after the season started, at 1500/week?
    * We managed to get the highly rated Alex Gilbey. Almost immediately we injured him. In training.
    * we managed to sign the talented but controversial Marcus Maddison. Almost immediately we injured him. In training. And this was a player with a good injury record before then (as Taylor had)
    * We brought in Innis and Famewo and far faster than anyone could have expected they formed a formidable partnership. So what did we do? In short order both got injured, one in training, and we had already injured the other two, in training. Let me run that past you again. In two months we injured all four centre backs, three of them in training.
    *JFC is injured again. In training, again. He's hardly had a run since his injury at Bristol City last season.
    *Smyth has looked good in the last two games, but he is injured too now (albeit a regular match injury)

We all know this, though the list is quite stark set out like that, isn't it. But here's my question. Having had to deal with all the above, how could any manager know what his best eleven is? Let alone adopt a settled style of play, tactical responses, etc. 

Yet despite all that, we are still in the play off zone.

And I'm reading people on here saying Bow's not all that, he never had any offers, blah blah. All because he lost it a bit in a post match conference. Fuck that. Frankly, I could do without post match conferences, period. They don't lose football matches. What loses football matches are the consequences of what's being going on at our club and the stripping bare of essential medical/fitness resources without which even Man City would struggle to cope.

There, I feel better now....
    There's no way that none of that team are on more than 6k a month.

Remember a lot of them were here before the salary cap came into play.
  • Options
    Really p***ed of with what Bowyer had to say about the fans - wtf was he expecting?
    Lesson 1 for any manager is don't call out the fans unless there is some exceptional reason - it's the fastest way to lose support and he knows that.

I remember the days of Pardew and his constant snide comments at the fanbase.

I hope Thomas has a word with him about generating bad PR.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I wonder how other teams would manage with the defensive problems weve been having?
    Pratley not far off pension age having to play twice a week at the back with someone whose also not playing in his preferred position.
    One thing I dont want to see is players being rushed back from injury or playing with an injury.
    If that means having to play Gunter and Pratley at the back for a couple more games then so be it.

Didn't have to play 2 players out of position in defence........we had TWO centre halves sitting on the bench !!
  • Options
    Things will improve when we get a settled back 4, which includes proper Centre Halves and not fitting in right backs or defensive midfielders. 

However.......that is just papering over the cracks and not addressing the real issue. The real problem is that we are too ponderous in midfield, have no pace on the flanks & little goal threat up front. We won all those games in October because we had a very tight back 4, didn't let any goals in & managed to get ahead in games. As you know, I keep banging on about out record once we concede first so its no surprise that if we don't keep it watertight at the back then with our lack of goal scoring ability it's hard to win games. 

Until we can be dominant from the off & get a lead before half time then we aren't going to win many games. We are not going to win games 4-2 after being 2-0 down or even win 2-1 after being 1-0 down. Its not happened since Boxing Day last year......and since then we've seen many players come & go. Make from that what you like.
    Sort of agree - without doughty there’s no pace. With slower midfield players you need to move the ball quicker. 
  • Options
    Also, bowyer does a great job. He makes mistakes (who doesn’t), but he’ll get us up this season or next imo. 

The way we play (high pressure), he wants to rotate to prevent injury like we had with a small squad. I get that.