Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    I've only watched the last two matches on the Pass, so I admittedly have limited experience of the current crop of players but I'm not going to let that or my lack of footballing nous stop me from putting my twopenneth in. 

We all need to remember that just a short time ago, our squad wasn't worthy of the name and IF the club had survived, we were going down for sure. 

Thomas saved the club but getting a competitive squad together in the circumstances was a tall order. Galleon and Bowyer managed that and all credit to them. The only thing I couldn't understand at the time was why we didn't go for replacement for Lyle. 

Based on my very limited experience, here are observations on players that have caught my eye for whatever reason.

I like Amos, Famewo, Washington, Smyth, Matthews and Aneke.

I think that Maddison could do a good job for us if used better or with different players around him.

Gilbey does too many things wrong and am not impressed. 

Bogle is a waste of space and brings nothing to the team, his first touch is dreadful, can't hold the ball up and bring others into play and appears to have no instinct for goal. So many moves broke down because he lost the ball. I wouldn't play him again by choice. 

Of course, I've not watched a match with our first choice CB pairing which may change things significantly, but I certainly don't see a team going straight up in a top 2 position. I also wonder if Bowyer has fallen out with some of the players looking at the body language. 

I don't think the CB pairing is the only issue - we're not that strong across the pitch. We had a good run of results but the last few games have been a reality check.

The players we have lost in recent seasons have not been replaced with equal quality - most of our players look L1 level. We might have more strength in depth than some of the other teams but that looks the only advantage.

Play-offs at best as far as I can see.
  • Options
    There's definitely something wrong with our midfield. We have a lot of options, but somehow don't seem to have much energy or pace, I actually thought Pratley improved things when we moved into midfield late in the game, as he has more energy than some of the other options, and is faster than you'd expect. At least he was hassling them a bit, as today the game passed Watson and Gilbey by. 

Fraser joined MKD late, but since the 3rd October has started ALL their league games, playing the full 90 in the majority of them and only going off early once (due to a knock). No sign that HE needs to be rotated

Agree about Pratley. I think we really miss his engine and in midfield. Watson last night wasn't good enough, I'm not going to be too harsh as he has had some good games for us but the type of games where the midfield is crowded and doesn't have time on the ball he just cannot cope. Pratley on the other hand in midfield still has the ability to create a yard or two whilst still having the energy to track runs and make tackles.

I don't think our midfield is great but it's a lot worse with the injuries at CB because of the loss of Pratley in there. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    After sleeping on that. 

Lets all be honest at the start of the season we could easily have found ourselves in the position Wigan are in.  We aren't.  We are 4th.

Bowyer has SOME questions to answer re tactics and motivation of the players.  With the probable exception of Amos and Morgan EVERY player is having too many bad games.  By that I mean below their par.  Individually they are all better than that, and have shown it at times already this season. 

For a team that had so many experienced players in it, probably approaching 4000 professional games, there is a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  Can't they see it and react to it? 

I don't honestly think a single on of them is "here for the money", they are here to play. 

Charlie Barker is not the answer. He is an U18 who came in, because of the "situation" and did OK.  In fact he did better than OK for such a young inexperienced player. Being honest though if he was a 25 year old signing he would probably get a lot more critiscm, and it's right he doesn't.  But he isn't a Gomez, a Bowyer or a Shelvey.  He is one for the future, not the now. On the other hand what is Mingi doing at the club, being that much older, if he can't even get on the bench when we have no center halves at all?

Lastly it's very damming of Bowyer, and his staff, that the team was playing better when they weren't training and playing as a scratch team every 3 or 4 days.  Something isn't right. Hopefully Bowyer can sort that out because I really want him to succeed after everything he has been through. 
    I appreciate people see things differently, however, for me, I do not really understand comments like this. We are 4th in the league, and have experienced players like Watson, Pratley, and Gunter in the team - and have one of the best defensive records in the league. 

It seems to be a default fan theory that when you team lose a game its because they lacked desire or didn't want it more than the opposition. I think fans struggle to appreciate that players are human and some days they will just perform badly (Burton), or others a team will be better than them (MK Dons). 
    I was meaning more along the lines of conceding the second goal at Burton, in light of the 1st one, of getting over run in midfield last night, of the right hand side being exposed etc.  The subtle little things that if amatures can see it why can't the senior pros both see it and react to it? 
    I totally see your point. But for me these are all tactical things which come from the manager.

The 2nd goal against Burton happened, same as the 1st because players have been told to pass it out from the back. Thats the way Bowyer likes us to play. He wants teams to press us and for us to attack when they commit and we find the space.

Unfortunately I just don't think we are very good at it. When teams press us well like Burton did our defense lack the ability to find the right ball, and our midfield are told to stay rigid. It makes us hard to break down out of possession, but we've been caught out by more teams then just Burton playing this way. But it's also won us plenty of games as well. 

Same as last night with the midfield being overrun. That was nothing to do with leadership on the pitch, but the way we're were initially set up. The rigid diamond was never going to compete with a fluid 5 man midfield. Its why Bows addressed it by pushing Washington back. 

Also you've got to give it to Fraser for having a fantastic game and moving into them pockets of space. With the extra man in midfield you either tracked him and went out of position and left someone else free or stood off him and hoped to stand him up when he had the ball. 

I honestly think if we had the personnel fit and not suspended we would have gone 3-5-2 as well. 
  • Options
    "Lastly it's very damming of Bowyer, and his staff, that the team was playing better when they weren't training and playing as a scratch team every 3 or 4 days.  Something isn't right. Hopefully Bowyer can sort that out because I really want him to succeed after everything he has been through. " 

Cafc43v3r that is an excellent point and an unspoken one until now.
  • Options
    Bowyer always speaks his mind,perhaps the result pissed him off,and just maybe his expectations from the 2000 were just a little too high.Was he right ,I was not there so cannot comment,but the thing is most of the singing comes from the covered end,and tonight you had a fraction of the crowd normally there.He mentioned negative comments from the crowd,well that has been happening since crowds attended football matches and is something players have to get used to.They had some excellent forwards which gave us trouble,but I struggle to see how 36 year old Lewington had so much influence on the game from Left back,he has been doing this for years and teams dont seem to be able to stop it.Still 4th plenty of time,others will hit a dodgy run so no need to panic.Maddison could be a masterstroke if he continues like he did tonight.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    People booed?! Players would rather the fans didn't come lol. 
    Play like that again and they won’t get 2000 fans . I didn’t boo but I totally understood those who did . That performance was inexcusable 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    After sleeping on that. 

Lets all be honest at the start of the season we could easily have found ourselves in the position Wigan are in.  We aren't.  We are 4th.

Bowyer has SOME questions to answer re tactics and motivation of the players.  With the probable exception of Amos and Morgan EVERY player is having too many bad games.  By that I mean below their par.  Individually they are all better than that, and have shown it at times already this season. 

For a team that had so many experienced players in it, probably approaching 4000 professional games, there is a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  Can't they see it and react to it? 

I don't honestly think a single on of them is "here for the money", they are here to play. 

Charlie Barker is not the answer. He is an U18 who came in, because of the "situation" and did OK.  In fact he did better than OK for such a young inexperienced player. Being honest though if he was a 25 year old signing he would probably get a lot more critiscm, and it's right he doesn't.  But he isn't a Gomez, a Bowyer or a Shelvey.  He is one for the future, not the now. On the other hand what is Mingi doing at the club, being that much older, if he can't even get on the bench when we have no center halves at all?

Lastly it's very damming of Bowyer, and his staff, that the team was playing better when they weren't training and playing as a scratch team every 3 or 4 days.  Something isn't right. Hopefully Bowyer can sort that out because I really want him to succeed after everything he has been through. 
    I appreciate people see things differently, however, for me, I do not really understand comments like this. We are 4th in the league, and have experienced players like Watson, Pratley, and Gunter in the team - and have one of the best defensive records in the league. 

It seems to be a default fan theory that when you team lose a game its because they lacked desire or didn't want it more than the opposition. I think fans struggle to appreciate that players are human and some days they will just perform badly (Burton), or others a team will be better than them (MK Dons). 
    I was meaning more along the lines of conceding the second goal at Burton, in light of the 1st one, of getting over run in midfield last night, of the right hand side being exposed etc.  The subtle little things that if amatures can see it why can't the senior pros both see it and react to it? 
    I totally see your point. But for me these are all tactical things which come from the manager.

The 2nd goal against Burton happened, same as the 1st because players have been told to pass it out from the back. Thats the way Bowyer likes us to play. He wants teams to press us and for us to attack when they commit and we find the space.

Unfortunately I just don't think we are very good at it. When teams press us well like Burton did our defense lack the ability to find the right ball, and our midfield are told to stay rigid. It makes us hard to break down out of possession, but we've been caught out by more teams then just Burton playing this way. But it's also won us plenty of games as well. 

Same as last night with the midfield being overrun. That was nothing to do with leadership on the pitch, but the way we're were initially set up. The rigid diamond was never going to compete with a fluid 5 man midfield. Its why Bows addressed it by pushing Washington back. 

Also you've got to give it to Fraser for having a fantastic game and moving into them pockets of space. With the extra man in midfield you either tracked him and went out of position and left someone else free or stood off him and hoped to stand him up when he had the ball. 

I honestly think if we had the personnel fit and not suspended we would have gone 3-5-2 as well. 
    They are tactical and they do come from the manager but if you concede a goal like the first one at Burton the last thing you do is do it again, ten minutes later, regardless of what the manager has said.

It's almost like if it's obviously not working the sort of go through the motions until Bowyer either makes a sub or half time.  

When was the last time a Charlton player dragged their team mates through a game through leadership? 
  • Options
    I don't think TS will have enjoyed waking up seeing those newspaper headlines. Unfortunately Bow's moody quote is making the national press.

Lee, remember how the owner dealt with each and every single fan on Twitter/Linkedin pestering him over the takeover?! He respected each one with a repsonse and never sent a single moody message. It would have been easier to do so but you guys are in a position of people management.
  • Options
    Woke up more irritated than when I went to bed. That performance was shocking. Outplayed by MK Dons ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was crap. MK looked like they were up for it from the start, we didn't. Subs were strange, Morgan had been the only one running to make space and show for the ball and he gets taken off. Thought Maddison did well and Amos kept it respectable. Sick of players being "rotated" all the time. Not impressed with Bowyer's comments either; they're not as bad as some think, but it's about perception and they will be perceived as blaming the fans for what was a poor performance. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ok here is the honest summary in my opinion. 

We have, with the exception of a top drawer striker, the best squad in this division by some way.

HOWEVER, we do not have the best team, and it would seem the reason for that may well be we do not have the best manager. My son said last night LB  appears to be being Hubris about the centre backs. I agree, he seems to have started adopting some Curbishly traits, where he believes he cannot be faulted on any decision. An therefore attempts to prove it, by repeating that mistake. Last seasons constant to late subs being, an example.

It’s my opinion that him and Taylor, put us in this league, and he may well be the one that keeps us here. 

I don’t want him to go, I want him to know when it’s going wrong, and correct it. Not to keep going on and repeat the same error. 
  • Options

Mixed feelings about Bowyer’s comments. He’s not slagged fans off anywhere near as much as being presented. He was asked a question and he’s answered honestly, perhaps too honestly. I think he’s built it up in his head that tonight was going to be a magical reunion and it’s turned out to be a damp squib. There won’t be any atmosphere until things are back to normal, he needs to accept that. 

However, his comments have left a sour taste. There’s a fan in that stadium who’s dying wish was to go and see Charlton one last time. There are fans in that stadium who have lost their livelihoods in the past few months. There are fans who have lost loved ones. They’ve just sat in the freezing cold for hours to watch their team be battered from the first minute, you can’t begin to criticise them at all just because you’re annoyed at how the evening went. 

He’s a passionate man and he has no filter, that’s one of the reasons why he’s loved universally in SE7. He’s said something stupid in the heat of the moment (who hasn’t) and I know emotions are high but let’s not destroy him over it. After what he’s done for us in the past few years he’s allowed leeway. 

I’m behind Bowyer 100%, he’s never let us down before and I don’t think he will now. Remember Rochdale in the 18/19 season, it’s not the end of the world to be found out and to have to work on what we’re not good at. It’s a long season and we will only get better after January.
    Great post. 
  • Options
    MK Dons were better than us all over the pitch. Particularly impressed with Fraser.

The Gunter / Pratley partnership can never been seen again.They looked shaky all night. Thought Gilbey was woeful, not sure what he offers at the moment. Shinnie had a rare off day, when he isn’t at it, we struggle.

Maddison showed encouraging signs, couple of decent balls in to the box. Genuinely think he just needs to play in a free roll and allowed to roam. 

Lastly, please sign a good quality striker, don’t like this shuffling around of Bogle and Aneke. We need somebody capable of playing every game and who can get in the position to get on the end of Maddison’s delivery. 
  • Options
    I've only watched the last two matches on the Pass, so I admittedly have limited experience of the current crop of players but I'm not going to let that or my lack of footballing nous stop me from putting my twopenneth in. 

We all need to remember that just a short time ago, our squad wasn't worthy of the name and IF the club had survived, we were going down for sure. 

Thomas saved the club but getting a competitive squad together in the circumstances was a tall order. Galleon and Bowyer managed that and all credit to them. The only thing I couldn't understand at the time was why we didn't go for replacement for Lyle. 

Based on my very limited experience, here are observations on players that have caught my eye for whatever reason.

I like Amos, Famewo, Washington, Smyth, Matthews and Aneke. (edit I forgot to include Morgan) 

I think that Maddison could do a good job for us if used better or with different players around him.

Gilbey does too many things wrong and am not impressed. 

Bogle is a waste of space and brings nothing to the team, his first touch is dreadful, can't hold the ball up and bring others into play and appears to have no instinct for goal. So many moves broke down because he lost the ball. I wouldn't play him again by choice. 

Of course, I've not watched a match with our first choice CB pairing which may change things significantly, but I certainly don't see a team going straight up in a top 2 position. I also wonder if Bowyer has fallen out with some of the players looking at the body language. 

Agree with most if that, particularly about bogle and Maddison. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    There's definitely something wrong with our midfield. We have a lot of options, but somehow don't seem to have much energy or pace, I actually thought Pratley improved things when we moved into midfield late in the game, as he has more energy than some of the other options, and is faster than you'd expect. At least he was hassling them a bit, as today the game passed Watson and Gilbey by. 

Fraser joined MKD late, but since the 3rd October has started ALL their league games, playing the full 90 in the majority of them and only going off early once (due to a knock). No sign that HE needs to be rotated

Agree about Pratley. I think we really miss his engine and in midfield. Watson last night wasn't good enough, I'm not going to be too harsh as he has had some good games for us but the type of games where the midfield is crowded and doesn't have time on the ball he just cannot cope. Pratley on the other hand in midfield still has the ability to create a yard or two whilst still having the energy to track runs and make tackles.

I don't think our midfield is great but it's a lot worse with the injuries at CB because of the loss of Pratley in there. 
    And of course he is a liability in a central defence two. He can’t pass for one thing. 
    He sat too deep last night and they just bypassed our midfield easily and exploited the gap. 

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Things will improve when we get a settled back 4, which includes proper Centre Halves and not fitting in right backs or defensive midfielders. 

However.......that is just papering over the cracks and not addressing the real issue. The real problem is that we are too ponderous in midfield, have no pace on the flanks & little goal threat up front. We won all those games in October because we had a very tight back 4, didn't let any goals in & managed to get ahead in games. As you know, I keep banging on about out record once we concede first so its no surprise that if we don't keep it watertight at the back then with our lack of goal scoring ability it's hard to win games. 

Until we can be dominant from the off & get a lead before half time then we aren't going to win many games. We are not going to win games 4-2 after being 2-0 down or even win 2-1 after being 1-0 down. Its not happened since Boxing Day last year......and since then we've seen many players come & go. Make from that what you like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    As others have picked up on, and I think Greg Stubley mentioned it during his commentary last night, we have no set shape and we started with 2 up top, that then became 4-5-1 with Washington going wide.  It was 4-3-3 at the start of the second half that then just disintegrated into a mess as the game went on.

We actually played a fairly rigid 4-2-3-1 for the last 30 minutes, Chuks up top, with Washington, Williams and Maddison behind him, and Watson and Gilbey in midfield, with Pratley replacing Watson there after he went off and Famewo came on

We made the subs pretty early, 4 on by 66 minutes
  • Options
    Ok here is the honest summary in my opinion. 

We have, with the exception of a top drawer striker, the best squad in this division by some way.

HOWEVER, we do not have the best team, and it would seem the reason for that may well be we do not have the best manager. My son said last night LB  appears to be being Hubris about the centre backs. I agree, he seems to have started adopting some Curbishly traits, where he believes he cannot be faulted on any decision. An therefore attempts to prove it, by repeating that mistake. Last seasons constant to late subs being, an example.

It’s my opinion that him and Taylor, put us in this league, and he may well be the one that keeps us here. 

I don’t want him to go, I want him to know when it’s going wrong, and correct it. Not to keep going on and repeat the same error. 
     Agree with the CB view.

For me it's like he's trying to send the fear of god's into the rest of the league by saying ' "I'm playing a right back and a central midfielder at centre back and we are still winning games."

It's disrespectful for one and has come to bite him on the arse. You cannot underestimate any team in this league. Every single team has a Jekyll and Hyde trait.
    Find your best side and play it every opportunity you get.
  • Options
    Posting without reading

The best team won - nobody can argue that.

We couldn't contain Fraser and he looked like a fantastic player.  Quick, skillful and a beauty of a left foot.  One of the best players I have seen us come up against for a few years.    Their passing and moving was very very good indeed and they will soon be climbing the table if they continue to play like that.  Their #9 was also a menace and Surman is always a threat  

Bringing on Maddison on right wing was a mistake in my opinion.  He didn't play too badly but he is not going to bust his bollocks to get back and defend leaving Mattthews even more exposed as he was being targeted.

One thing that was glaringly obvious is our midfield desperately lacks pace and physicality.  Watson is slow to get up to pace and was bypassed quite often.  Shinnie and Gilbey are rather one-paced too.  We could do with a younger and more agile Pratley type of player.
  • Options
    Thought it was a decent game for a neutral. MK were the better side on the night, real lack or creativity in the final third again. 

I called it at the time, as soon as Gilby stopped marking his man I knew we were in trouble, and they scored... Either a bit of a lack or fitness or effort/commitment in that moment, and it cost us. I feel like too much faith has been put into Gilby at this moment. Also it came from Pratley over committing chasing the ball he ended up so out of position. 

Great to see Famewo back! Onto the next one I guess. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Amos 7
    Matthews: 5.5
    Gunter: 5
    Pratley: 6
    Purrington: 5
    Watson: 5
    Morgan: 3
    Gilbey: 2.5
    Shinnie: 3
    Bogle: 3
    Washington: 4.5
    Maddison:  5
    Aneke: 5
    Williams: 5
    Famewo: 7
     Wow some very harsh scores here! Morgan & Shinnie both 3?

The same as Bogle? You sure?

Also Gilbey 2.5 is very harsh.

• Options
    Things will improve when we get a settled back 4, which includes proper Centre Halves and not fitting in right backs or defensive midfielders. 

However.......that is just papering over the cracks and not addressing the real issue. The real problem is that we are too ponderous in midfield, have no pace on the flanks & little goal threat up front. We won all those games in October because we had a very tight back 4, didn't let any goals in & managed to get ahead in games. As you know, I keep banging on about out record once we concede first so its no surprise that if we don't keep it watertight at the back then with our lack of goal scoring ability it's hard to win games. 

Until we can be dominant from the off & get a lead before half time then we aren't going to win many games. We are not going to win games 4-2 after being 2-0 down or even win 2-1 after being 1-0 down. Its not happened since Boxing Day last year......and since then we've seen many players come & go. Make from that what you like.
    I would agree about our midfield, as despite having lots of options the balance isn't right

Maatsen needed a rest anyway, but would have been useful last night as a left sided midfielder, as with Doughty injured we really lack the pace and width to stretch teams. Smyth would have been useful too, as our midfield 4 and strike options were so one paced. Maddison is just the same, he put in some decent crosses but his game isn't about pace either, more tricky feet and a quick ball in. Some of his crosses were optimistic, but others were really dangerous and a better striker would have been quicker on his feet and got on the end of more of them.

Gunter was horribly bullied by Morris last night, MKD changed their tactics in the second half with the keeper kicking long EVERY time towards Morris who was up against Gunter and won just about every time, good tactics by Russell Martin which we did nothing to counteract. Pratley coped better, but the last minutes showed that we miss him in midfield, as his acceleration is surprisingly quick.
  • Options
    Bogle wasnt brilliant or anything but scores of 2 or 3 are harsh in my opinion but we all have different opinions. He was winning quite a lot of headers and flick ons in the 1st half but Washington always seemed to be a mile away from getting onto any. It would of been interesting to see Bogle playing with Maddison as MM can put a good cross in. 
    Also it can't be easy when things aren't going for you and in the back of your mind you know you only have 60mins to do something. Subs on 60mins are getting a bit predictable now 
  • Options
    Second best all night. Desperately need a striker in January. Thank goodness Amos was on form. Only other bright spot was Maddison. Think he will have big say in how we perform over the coming weeks. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Amos 7
    Matthews: 5.5
    Gunter: 5
    Pratley: 6
    Purrington: 5
    Watson: 5
    Morgan: 3
    Gilbey: 2.5
    Shinnie: 3
    Bogle: 3
    Washington: 4.5
    Maddison:  5
    Aneke: 5
    Williams: 5
    Famewo: 7
     Wow some very harsh scores here! Morgan & Shinnie both 3?

The same as Bogle? You sure?

Also Gilbey 2.5 is very harsh.

Watson and Gunter on 5 seems massively generous too in comparison to those other scores...