Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    Time to face up to proper facts
    if you genuinely want promotion 
    get a proper striker .......and wake up !!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I haven't got a downer on Gunter. As a right back, I'm sure he is a decent signing. As a centre half, he has probably cost us 4 to 6 points in four games. Pratley can do a job in that position, I'm sorry but Gunter can't.
  • Options
    Devils advocate is I suppose we don't know what questions were put to Bowyer to get those comments put of him, we know he says it how he sees it but he's massively overlooked the context of why there wasn't much noise tonight
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    For fuck's sake, Bows. I can accept speaking one's mind and misreading the room but that doesn't mean I won't be massively fucked off at those comments.

Seth and I pitched up for 6.30 (slightly earlier) to sit socially distanced from everyone else, AND each other, not recognising anyone we were around, not knowing who was a singer too, having to wear masks, in the cold, and in a severely reduced crowd.

We're in the middle of a pandemic and the atmosphere was always going to be uncertain, but that familiar roar when we started the game was present.

Then we were fucking shite for the whole first half. They cut through us at will, like a hot knife through thin air. And he has the gall to say we weren't backing the boys?

Give us something to back and set your team up right.

I have various views on the players that can be summed up as Amos and Washington good, rest below average, but as a team we were piss poor despite no one player being THAT bad.

Those comments have pissed me right off.

Summarised my feelings better than I could have. Not good from Bowyer. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Was surrounded in the East Stand by a lot of foul mouthed tossers. The hot chocolate was shit. Totally and utterly outplayed by MK Dons. Is Gilbey a footballer? How the hell has Lewington never played at a higher level? Glasses kept steaming up because of the bloody mask. 
    On a brighter note, parked outside the main entrance -superb.
    I was thinking the same about Lewington. You'd think at least that a team in the top 6 in League One would have signed him. What a consistently good player for MK.

And he's my cousin's ex wife's cousin's son.
  • Options
    0 - 1 very flattering on CAFC tonight. ...just a game of football where one team was miles better than the other. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    For fuck's sake, Bows. I can accept speaking one's mind and misreading the room but that doesn't mean I won't be massively fucked off at those comments.

Seth and I pitched up for 6.30 (slightly earlier) to sit socially distanced from everyone else, AND each other, not recognising anyone we were around, not knowing who was a singer too, having to wear masks, in the cold, and in a severely reduced crowd.

We're in the middle of a pandemic and the atmosphere was always going to be uncertain, but that familiar roar when we started the game was present.

Then we were fucking shite for the whole first half. They cut through us at will, like a hot knife through thin air. And he has the gall to say we weren't backing the boys?

Give us something to back and set your team up right.

I have various views on the players that can be summed up as Amos and Washington good, rest below average, but as a team we were piss poor despite no one player being THAT bad.

Those comments have pissed me right off.
    Can I like this twice.

Was expecting an apology to the fans after that, not to be told off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bows didn't need to call out the fans. I went to the gym today and with a live DJ, the mood was quite sombre and downbeat. 4 weeks of Lockdown 2 has had a big impact. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Was surrounded in the East Stand by a lot of foul mouthed tossers. The hot chocolate was shit. Totally and utterly outplayed by MK Dons. Is Gilbey a footballer? How the hell has Lewington never played at a higher level? Glasses kept steaming up because of the bloody mask. 
    On a brighter note, parked outside the main entrance -superb.
    I was thinking the same about Lewington. You'd think at least that a team in the top 6 in League One would have signed him. What a consistently good player for MK.

And he's my cousin's ex wife's cousin's son.
    And he’s my brothers cousins ex wife’s cousins son too to boot.

And on the couple of occasions I’ve met him a nice chap too.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer has made a big mistake with those comments. That’s a dangerous road to go down when your team plays that bad .
    Is there another manager in English football who has enjoyed more support from the fans than Lee Bowyer? Can't believe he's just called us out.
    Works both ways... How many times in the last year could he have walked away?
    Doesn't work both ways, because the fans have never turned on him.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Bows needs to get consistent performances from his team. We had that in the year we were promoted. It's lacking this season.  
    We didn't until about March, we were crap in a lot of games up until then.  Coventry, Accrington, Scunthorpe etc etc in fact we were aweful in November and early December then as well. 
  • Options
    Lucky to get nil.

Second best all over the pitch bar keeper.

Their GK was our best attacker.

Amos kept the score respectable

But MK are used to playing in front of small crowds with little atmosphere and we're not. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it☹️

Lee Bowyer's red and white army
  • Options
    Let’s see how we look when we get a proper centre back pairing back.  I would be tempted to put Pearce and Famewo in, but they’re both left footed and recently returning from injury.  

I just think if you compare our 2 league one promotion winning teams with this one, we’re sorely lacking at the moment 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2020
    1-0 hammering. MKD 18 shots and 7 on target  to Charlton's 8 to 1 on target says it all. MK Dons looked a coherent team and strolled through Charlton's midfield. Amos and some indifferent finishing left Charlton lucky to be nil nil at half time. Charlton really missed pace of Smyth and Doughty and 2 natural central defenders. MKD formation overrun Charlton midfield completely, who looked like a team of strangers.

WIth all the subs, second half Charlton looked better. MK Dons defence & goalkeeper looked fragile and looked like they could easily concede. Charlton nearly got an equaliser at the end. That would have been harsh on MK Dons who were better throughout and could have won by 3 or 4.

I am hoping that the players think they can turn up and beat lower positioned opponents without the work.

Not many positives. Great to get supporters back in the Valley. Good to get Famewo back. Maddisson looked more up for it. Morgan worked hard. January window is around the corner & hopefully a couple of the gaps can be filled. Charlton are there and there about and hopefully will be stronger & more coherent as the season progresses.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Bows didn't need to call out the fans. I went to the gym today and with a live DJ, the mood was quite sombre and downbeat. 4 weeks of Lockdown 2 has had a big impact. 
    Wasn't the house DJ that played in Crossbars was it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    @CroydonMate, his inability to go forwards is ridiculous. Right at the end, either cross it or play it back, he hesitates and loses the ball.

His primary job is that of a defender though, he's no different to Gunter who wont advance forward very often, certainly wouldn't have him as a Wing-Back... Regardless though, for all his "inability to go forward" he was still one of the few who didnt put a foot wrong whenever MK Dons had the ball, so did his primary job!!
    Solid at the back, but the system doesn't suit him. Blame then falls on Bowyer.
    Not according to Bowyer, it’s the fans fault!
  • Options
    We lost the game in the midfield. Fraser and Surman bossed it for MK Don's whilst our CMs were anonymous.

We need Shinnie and Gilbey to do much better. These players are supposed to make us tick and set the tempo of our game...but went missing tonight.
  • Options
    I have always been a massive fan of Lee Bowyer 
    but sometimes you wonder if age and experience ever improves the thought process as to where a person actually came from ?
    tonight he could have been better as a manager.
  • Options
    What worries me is that MK Dons can read us so easily 
  • Options
    I think we have a lot of quality and strength in depth. But for various reasons we have to keep chopping and changing the team too much. We have been playing without a centre half for about four games, and that shows.

I think we should be starting the same midfieldwhere possible and bring players on to get up to speed as appropriate.

Aneke has the game to give defences problems. A few didn't notice, but he did that tonight too. It is just we can't play him for a full game and if he does 70 minutes, he can only do 30 in the next. I haven't seen this before for an apparently fit player.

We see the same with Williams. How many other teams have to do this? Our best midfield at this moment in time is Watson, Shinnie, Morgan and Williams. That can change, but that ought to be what starts every game.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    I have always been a massive fan of Lee Bowyer 
    but sometimes you wonder if age and experience ever improves the thought process as to where a person actually came from ?
    tonight he could have been better as a manager.
    I don't think Bow's speaks well or comes across well with his thoughts/words/interviews. Many on here do though. 

I just want to get bloomin' promoted, and I know TS does too!
  • Options
    I'm a big LB fan but putting some blame on the fans is ridiculous. Do think at times he thinks he's exempt from criticism and he has to take some of the blame today as no one really looked up for it. Onto the next, maybe one day we'll beat a team we're favourites against.