Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Ben Amos made some great saves once again - he deserved more than that defensive lapse. MK deserved that result all night long - they were the far superior team. They moved up the pitch with the pace and purpose we can only dream of.

Silver linings were Famewo being back and Maddison looking a hell of a lot sharper. Don't understand how people are giving him stick given the host of other players who played poorly.

Gutted we didn't take what looked on paper like a golden opportunity to move into the top two and cement our place in the top six but that's not how Charlton do things. My first new shirt since Douche took over is meant to arrive tomorrow thanks to the hope that TS has brought to to club - let's hope for an altogether better performance come Saturday
  • Options
    Bowyer has to get them playing against teams that crowd out our threat. We can beat teams by doing the same, but when teams do it to us we lack the movement and ideas and let's be honest, the composure when it is required.
  • Options
    One week on from Burton and it looks like no lessons learned. That was dire to watch, although fair play to MK who were set up well and very well drilled. 

Maddison had his best game for us although since his goal line clearance against Sunderland he's offered absolutely nothing defensively. Good to get Famewo back as well. Probably about it for positives. 
  • Options
    Maddison, gotta be better at fifa than he is football?
    Maybe when he plays fifa, people get on the end of his dangerous balls!
  • Options
    Here is a repeat, from the Ipswich post-match thread:

Ladies and gentlemen, the last few days have demonstrated one thing:

Don't let the highs get too high, don't let the lows get too low.

There's no middle ground on here, people are up and down like a bride's nightie.

No, it wasn't enjoyable tonight.

Yes, it's disappointing to lose at home to MK.

But this result or performance hasn't put a block on us winning promotion in 6 months' time.

If we carry with tonight's form throughout this month then it's a cause for concern but when was the last time we put on a decent show and got a win in a milestone or celebration match, or Kids For A Quid/Football For A Fiver game?

This is our Charlton, this is what we do.
    I take your point Briston, but that’s 3 crap performances in 4 games now and I think the Ipswich result was more about them
    being poor than us being good.  

It’s been a long year, on and off the pitch.  I still believe Bowyer has the talent and the ability to get something out of this squad, but I think this is the worst set of players he’s had at his disposal in his 3 full seasons in charge.  

I can’t quite get my head around how wobbly everything has gone since losing Inniss and Famewo at centre back.  It seems to have just thrown the whole team out of sync.  

It’s frustrating, because we have high hopes and expectations off the back of the takeover.  

Like Burton last week, MK Dons had that Fraser that ran the show.  I think Burton’s was Vernam who scored a goal for them.  We don’t have anyone like that.  

I think the performance can best be summed up by drawing an analogy with Maddison’s boots, neither one thing nor the other.  We’re poor, and they need to do better 
  • Options
    Our way of playing has been sussed out since the Gillingham game, but we’ve not adapted. Midfield lacks pass and width, so it’s always going to be hard to open teams up. Bowyer seems to not like wingers, but we look like a team that needs some. Especially if we’re going to always have Bogle or Aneke on the pitch. 
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Bowyer slamming the fans in SLP. 
    I expected non-stop singing and pushing the players and it was very quiet...the 2,000 who are in are lucky so try and enjoy it and make an impact
    Give them something to get behind then & excite...I couldn’t go tonight,so watching stream even the mrs came down & said I was very quiet & not shouting or excitedly screaming,I was just stunned how shite we were...so as for being there sitting in the cold...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Our way of playing has been sussed out since the Gillingham game, but we’ve not adapted. Midfield lacks pass and width, so it’s always going to be hard to open teams up. Bowyer seems to not like wingers, but we look like a team that needs some. Especially if we’re going to always have Bogle or Aneke on the pitch. 
    But since the Gillingham game until today we've had no natural Centre-Backs again

Of course they dont impact what happens further up the pitch (with midfield being the issue today), but since the international break have our performances been THAT different to the start of the season when again, we had no centre-backs?

Its about having balance all over the team, not just the forward areas
  • Options
    Bowyer has massively got that wrong criticising the fans, he should count himself fucking lucky his team weren't booed off at the end. 
  • Options
    2 defeats against teams at the bottom - very disappointing. Getting outplayed at MK Dons at home is a bit worrying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Bowyer has massively got that wrong criticising the fans, he should count himself fucking lucky his team weren't booed off at the end. 
    They were booed off...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Very disappointed Bowyer has had a pop at the fans. Sometimes you want to get behind your team and they don't give you anything to get behind. It is hard for 2k to create at atmosphere in a ground as big as ours unless you ignite it. He has to start understanding why we are so sterile when the onus is on us to make things happen. We are fine as spoilers as in those games we get chances and take them, but we have enough quality to do better than tonight. 

I know it isn't cultured, but at least try Bogle and Aneke together as a tactical option.
  • Options
    we aren’t good enough to treat anyone like they’re a bullshit team, we haven’t earned that right yet
  • Options
    Anyway glad I accidentally purchased the AFC Wimbledon game thinking it was this one first. 

Least I might win a Rangey. 
  • Options
    one basic thing from tonight was that their GK targeted on every long kick Gunter and we let them. They got so many 2nd balls from that yet Bowyer did not change the shape up front to stop it. He doesn't know how to change tactics to combat the opposition. no good having a defensive central midfielder in watson as well who they constantly play through. Too many players are static and as said somewhere elsewhere on this thread don't anticipate opportunities and gamble. this comes from the manager who is starting to show shortfalls.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What did the people in the stadium think? 
  • Options
    Not a great press conference from Bows

I’d been freezing my nuts off for over an hour in my seat before that shower of shit came out plus not easy to sing with a fucking mask on

he needs to have a look closer to home for someone to blame 
    In the mirror perhaps.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently there was booing after the game. Yes we were shit but christ that's moronic.
    You expect a good home performance and what do they do, the opposite.
    they're the ones who get paid not the people in the stands. We were shit. Majority of the players just didn't perform.
  • Options
    LB also said "Everything we set out to do first half it worked."

Hmmm... Ok then.
  • Options
    We’re missing the one thing all teams need.....a proper striker!  Even though we were outplayed tonight, we still had 3-4 chances where a proper centre-forward would’ve at least tested the keeper.

Washington is like a keener spongefoot:  always an inch away from getting the goal scoring touch or shot gets blocked/scuffs it.  Work rate is immense!

Bogle is just not very good. Watching him tonight his movement, touch, pretty much everything was all a bit ‘meh’.  He’s a centre-back’s dream.

Aneke at least could hold the ball up and lay it off when he came on.  He makes those around him more positive, Bogle doesn’t. Have to trust Bows when he says he can’t last a full 90.

it’s not long since we were about to go bust so inevitably we have a bit of a ragtag squad of aged pros, kids, gambles, and the odd journeyman.

If we manage to get promoted this year it’ll be that much greater an achievement than last time around.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    They were booed off...
    I must be going deaf or it was West Stand only because I genuinely did not hear much booing from the East Stand
  • Options
    Players got a good reception when they came out at the start and after half time, was always going to be difficult to make much noise with 2000 fans drawn out of a hat and spread across 3 stands. A lot of whom had been there for 2 hours in the cold before it started. We had absolutely nothing to bounce off from on the pitch. 
  • Options
    one basic thing from tonight was that their GK targeted on every long kick Gunter and we let them. They got so many 2nd balls from that yet Bowyer did not change the shape up front to stop it. He doesn't know how to change tactics to combat the opposition. no good having a defensive central midfielder in watson as well who they constantly play through. Too many players are static and as said somewhere elsewhere on this thread don't anticipate opportunities and gamble. this comes from the manager who is starting to show shortfalls.
    He has shown them from last season but you are not allowed to point them out on here. But he does have qualities and is good enough at this level and i'm sure he will learn and improve. 
  • Options
    Part of me still thinks that was an MK performance for their Manager given the fact he lost his Dad on Sunday

Wont be surprised if the players are sat in the dressing room saying: "That one's for you Gaffer"