Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    We all knew after the first 5 or 10 mins how this was going to go. Bowyer obviously didn't.

It appears to me after this shower of shit and Burton that someone is spending  too much time looking at the league table and deciding who we should and shouldn't turn up for.

Still think our lack of a natural goalscorer will be our downfall, but I blame the previous pricks pretending to run the show for that.
  • Options
    We have no discernible gameplan other than playing with a high tempo.  Completely outplayed.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Said in the match thread before kick-off "with fans back at the Valley for the first time in ages - it'd be text book Charlton to lose with a limp performance.".

All too predictable for anyone who's been watching us for more than 5 minutes. Thought the team looked leggy, there's a few players need rotating, but too many of our injured players are taking too long to get up to speed. Again there were falshes - we really could have won if (again) certain players took more care with their final shot or pass, but it was only ever flashes.

• Options
    Why is (sometimes) watching the mighty addicks always a rollercoaster ride.
    As said above - would love to see CAFC playing like that - MK should have put on the red shirts.
    Is this Bowyer et al? the players?
    Wouldn't it be nice to see real attacking threat, controlling midfield not chasing the game with the occasional flashes in the box for no-one to link onto.
    Great sound from the reduced crowd though! Kudos!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Laddick01 said:
    Burton 2.0
    What because we lost to a team towards the bottom of the table?

I ask because I didnt see us gifting MK Dons any goals like the ones we conceded @ Burton
    If anything this was worse. Burton scored four but we gifted them the win in all honesty.

MK didn’t just beat us, they looked like a team 1 or 2 divisions above us for the majority of the game. 3-0 wouldn’t have been an unfair result.

I admire your optimism but sometimes you have to critical. Losing to a side 19th in the table and making them look like Prime Barcelona in the process warrants such cynicism imo.
    So it wasnt Burton 2.0

Hell I'm not saying that I'm impressed or optimistic but to compare the performance to Burton is way off

As I've gone on to say in another post... MK Dons did a job on us, your right in that sense it is worse than Burton as if the top teams want to beat us then tonight is an example of how to do it

But to compare it to the Burton game which is what I was doing... Nah... Sorry!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Seemed to spend all night, apart from a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the 2nd half, chasing shadows!! Midfield was woeful, defence were being dragged all over the place and, until Maddison came on, we were sticking virtually nothing in the box. Less than average performance and we need need Akin and Pearce back at the heart of the defence, rest Watson or Pratley and which ever one stays on push into midfield. Missed the pace of Smyth and Washington was out of sorts! The way I see it was, I was expecting to lose at Ipswich and win tonight, so perhaps not as bad as it could have been, but continual rotation of the starting 11 cant help build a side that knows each others game. Move on!! I always say "What's not to like?" at the end of my post match comments....tonight I'm saying that game is NOT What's to like!!!
  • Options
    This is so Charlton.  Tbh this is why I support them. 
  • Options
    Our fastest player tonight is probably Matthews, we're too static and when you lack pace, you need to make up for it in intelligence and cunning, but we lacked that too. 

Gilbey and Shinnie are too similar.

Williams and Maddison are too featherweight.

Bogle is a donkey, and not a hard working one at that.

Watson may as well be a statue.

Pratley isn't a defender, and neither is he a goal-getter.

We badly missed the electric pace of Maatsen, Doughty and Smyth tonight, an outlet to run the channels. Washington tried but ended up doing a valiant Varney impression, all the huffing and puffing and nothing to show for it.

Bad day at the office, but also a bit of a dressing down of the team tonight, we looked second best and ultimately ended up second best too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    From the other thread:
    Fans back. Predictable.
  • Options
    that was embarrassing.
    what was our game plan?
    overloaded midfield with no one who wanted to attack. lightweight up front. bogle and washington not a partnership. bogle looks out of his depth.
    They controlled the midfield and we hand nothing to counter it. Bowyer blew it yet again. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    They did a job on us and was a fair result. Their two strikers bullied our makeshift centre back pairing, winning pretty much every long ball. Was a game for Pearce and Inniss.

Thought Maddison looked better - showed glimpses. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Their movement across the pitch was better than ours. Too many second balls lost, hardly any defensive tackles until well into the game, it was either let them hold it or pass it or foul them. Gunter is a terrible centre half - not his fault as he is a right back. Finishing and composure was lacking. We look like a team that needs a bit of continuity in selection. Noticed how to pass defenders on the left, they merely had to cut to the right.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Burton 2.0
    What because we lost to a team towards the bottom of the table?

I ask because I didnt see us gifting MK Dons any goals like the ones we conceded @ Burton
    If anything this was worse. Burton scored four but we gifted them the win in all honesty.

MK didn’t just beat us, they looked like a team 1 or 2 divisions above us for the majority of the game. 3-0 wouldn’t have been an unfair result.

I admire your optimism but sometimes you have to critical. Losing to a side 19th in the table and making them look like Prime Barcelona in the process warrants such cynicism imo.
    So it wasnt Burton 2.0

Hell I'm not saying that I'm impressed or optimistic but to compare the performance to Burton is way off

As I've gone on to say in another post... MK Dons did a job on us, your right in that sense it is worse than Burton as if the top teams want to beat us then tonight is an example of how to do it

But to compare it to the Burton game which is what I was doing... Nah... Sorry!!
    I think he was just using the fact that we got shown up by a bottom side again as a comparison.

In that sense it’s correct. We failed to turn up against a side we should’ve beating if we want to be looking for promotion.

If anything Burton was more enjoyable haha.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We were comprehensively beaten by a better team.  MK Dons were stronger and more comfortable on the ball in midfield - and more dangerous in attack.  Their running off the ball was brighter than ours.

They had eight shots on target.  We had one - which took 67 minutes to arrive.  Can someone tell me - what is the use of Omar Bogle?

• Options
    My biggest frustration is the fact that this appears another repeat of 2018/19!!

We had SO many chances to get into the top two that season and we didnt take any of them

Tonight was our second chance of the season to do just that and we failed again

We might not even finish top six, who knows, but I really dont want to rely on the Play-Offs every time we're down here!!!
  • Options
    From the other thread:
    Scoring goals has been the problem since the season started. Should be no surprise really. 
  • Options
    Was clear by half time (actually well before but let's give the benefit of the doubt) that our 4 in midfield were losing the battle vs their 5. And that was with 4 hard working industrious midfielders. 

It wasnt really possible to go 3 at the back to match them up without Maatsen or Doughty to play a wing back role and with the lack of centre backs. But we had to find a way to get in the midfield battle. 

Instead we just bit by bit reduced our bite and bodies in midfield. By the time we eventually conceded we had 4 attackers (Washington, Aneke, William's and Maddison) and a 2 man midfield (Gilbey and Pratley) that they were just walking through. 

I understand he was likely managing the minutes of Watson, Morgan and Shinnie but it just left us with too little in midfield and that's where the game was lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it was worse than Burton.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently there was booing after the game. Yes we were shit but christ that's moronic.
    Yeah could hear it on the stream
  • Options
    Scoring goals has been our problem since day 1. 

We need to be set-up in a way to create more chances in games. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I have an infinite amount of respect for Bowyer.

That being said, those comments are an insult to any fan that turned up tonight.

You cannot defend that, admit you got it wrong and stop looking for excuses when we lose.

EDIT: Just seen he’s had a pop at the fans too. Oh dear.

• Options
    Thanks Charlton . You decide to put in that performance tonight ! 

We were awful . MK Dons should have won by three or four . 
    It’s blindingly obvious we need a striker - we have no quality up front whatsoever.
    the midfield wasn’t any better . Morgan , Shinnie and Gilbey were anonymous.
    The only plus points from tonight was Maddison who put some great balls in and secondly we weren’t held back for ages after the game .

Apart from Hull nobody wants to go up in this league . It’s proper shite . 

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Bowyer relying on older players too much...let’s give Watson, Gunter and Pratley a rest
    Who do you rest them for...

- Gunter: We need Oshilaja or Inniss back but wasnt involved either today or for the U23s
     - Watson | Pratley: We needed Famewo or Pearce back, thats now happened so hopefully we'll start to see it
  • Options
    Disappointing from pretty much all involved except for the supporters. 
  • Options
    I think it was worse than Burton.
    It was worse in as much as it hurts to see a team techincally so much better than us. 

It was was not worse in terms of overall performance though. 
  • Options
    Best team won. 
    Akin is back so fingers crossed we don't see Gunter and Pratley as CBs again.
    Nothing else positive to add apart from it was nice to actually hear some real crowd noises. I particularly enjoyed the wolf whistle when they shot miles wide and over.