Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 2nd December 2020

Comments

• Options
    Had a feeling that was a potential banana skin, but I expected much better from us than that. My match report;

http://thefootballfansview.com/2020/12/02/charlton-0-1-mk-dons-match-report/
  • Options
    Scoring goals has been our problem since day 1. 

We need to be set-up in a way to create more chances in games. 
    Scoring goals was obviously going to be the problem from the beginning of the season. No genuine goal scorers and a total lack of midfield creativity.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently there was booing after the game. Yes we were shit but christ that's moronic.
    You expect a good home performance and what do they do, the opposite.
    they're the ones who get paid not the people in the stands. We were shit. Majority of the players just didn't perform.
    I don't disagree just don't think it warrants booing. Think of the absolute shite we've been served up in the past with disinterested players, that's the sort of thing that deserves to be booed. 
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Bowyer slamming the fans in SLP. 
    I expected non-stop singing and pushing the players and it was very quiet...the 2,000 who are in are lucky so try and enjoy it and make an impact

Non stop singing? With masks on? Give me a break, Bow.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Cannot understand the stick Maddison seems to get. He did really well when he came on.
    Eh? One good cross does not make up for the many attempted (and failed) Hollywood balls and absolutely zero work ethic. We are not good enough to be able to carry someone completely unwilling to work for the team. 
    I do not see Madison in such black and white terms.

Madison plays dangerous looking balls but they seem to be to no-one in particular. If we had someone like Lineker then it would be great because they are the type of balls he'd thrive on. This is not really Madison's fault; I just don't think what he does suits us.

Secondly he did put in the work if that means chasing back and looking like you want to win the ball. The thing is that he doesn't ever actually make a challenge. He gets within one metre of the opposing player and stops. Ultimately he does not have any idea how to defend effectively.

I think he can be a good player. We know that he was a good player for Peterborough. I just don't think he fits into this team. 

I really hope I'm proved wrong.
  • Options
    We struggled all night with our midfield non existent at times . Could have been worse if it wasn't for Amos . We need a player like Fraser  , someone who can run with the ball and can link up with the strikers . 
    Yep, Fraser was outstanding.
  • Options
    Got what we deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Apparently there was booing after the game. Yes we were shit but christ that's moronic.
    You expect a good home performance and what do they do, the opposite.
    they're the ones who get paid not the people in the stands. We were shit. Majority of the players just didn't perform.
    I don't disagree just don't think it warrants booing. Think of the absolute shite we've been served up in the past with disinterested players, that's the sort of thing that deserves to be booed. 

Tonight was right up there. Absolutely horrific non-effort.
  • Options
    Bows needs to get consistent performances from his team. We had that in the year we were promoted. It's lacking this season.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was surrounded in the East Stand by a lot of foul mouthed tossers. The hot chocolate was shit. Totally and utterly outplayed by MK Dons. Is Gilbey a footballer? How the hell has Lewington never played at a higher level? Glasses kept steaming up because of the bloody mask. 
    On a brighter note, parked outside the main entrance -superb.
  • Options
    one basic thing from tonight was that their GK targeted on every long kick Gunter and we let them. They got so many 2nd balls from that yet Bowyer did not change the shape up front to stop it. He doesn't know how to change tactics to combat the opposition. no good having a defensive central midfielder in watson as well who they constantly play through. Too many players are static and as said somewhere elsewhere on this thread don't anticipate opportunities and gamble. this comes from the manager who is starting to show shortfalls.
    Personally I feel this is a bit harsh. There's plenty of times Bowyer has switched up formation or swapped players around and it's worked well for us. You don't win as many games as he has as our manager through luck.

I do however believe he plays an overly defensive game sometimes and does not like to give players license to move out of position unless there's a clear and obvious attack on. 

Its why we will perhaps never really witness movement like the MK Dons players showed today. 
    He is a bit too defensive minded for my taste, but defensive managers can be successful. When he started and he didn't care about being a manager he was a front foot manager. The Ipswich game shows how we can frustrate and nullify teams and that is why we are still in a decent position.

But tonight, we faced a team that denied us space and were a mixture of strong and tidy in possession and we didn't really have the answers. If you can't play your best striker for a whole game, it is a disadvantage though. If you have to play Gunter at centre half, it is another disadvantage. Can not somebody else play there? - I mean to match him in that position, you win zero headers, make zero tackles, fail to pick up players from time to time as well as making weak passes when under little pressure. We would be just as well served playing Williams or Oztumer as centre halves!
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Was surrounded in the East Stand by a lot of foul mouthed tossers. The hot chocolate was shit. Totally and utterly outplayed by MK Dons. Is Gilbey a footballer? How the hell has Lewington never played at a higher level? Glasses kept steaming up because of the bloody mask. 
    On a brighter note, parked outside the main entrance -superb.
    He has... Two seasons in the Championship

He's so old he came through their Youth team when they were "Wimbledon"
  • Options
    Nothing to do with the crowd whatsoever.

Shape was wrong. Desire was non existent. Personell Ill equipped.

Hold your hands up and move on.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer has made a big mistake with those comments. That’s a dangerous road to go down when your team plays that bad .
    Is there another manager in English football who has enjoyed more support from the fans than Lee Bowyer? Can't believe he's just called us out.
    Works both ways... How many times in the last year could he have walked away?
    None of us know if he’s had any firm offers. If he hasn’t he isn’t gonna make himself unemployed is he.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer has made a big mistake with those comments. That’s a dangerous road to go down when your team plays that bad .
    Is there another manager in English football who has enjoyed more support from the fans than Lee Bowyer? Can't believe he's just called us out.
    Works both ways... How many times in the last year could he have walked away?
    None of us know if he’s had any firm offers. If he hasn’t he isn’t gonna make himself unemployed is he.
    Unless he's bullshitting though he's admitted he could quite happily have walked away

He doesnt need the money or the hassle after the career he's had
  • Options
    Delighted to be at the Valley.
    Terrible performance and result, and it was so so hard for us to generate any decent sort of atmosphere.
    The problem was that was about as comprehensive 1-0 defeat as you can get. In many ways in terms of the performance it was worse than Burton.
    Make no mistake, MKD were good, and were better structured, managed, and won in every area of the game.
    Why were we so poor?
    One factor was Jerome was panicking Pratley and the makeshift central defence was exposed, but also time and time again they did us on our right their left hand side, not even as if Matthews was terrible or anything, simply that they were almost mathematical and geometrical in how they maximised every position and attacking option, coupled with a few players who could do a bit, and turned into good places where we turned into blind alleys.
    They looked like a proper cohesive team, we did not.
    Such a disappointment, but losing this game is certainly not the end of the world, or the season, because we remain 'on course' despite a bad run in the last four games.
    Leaving aside the substitutions which did help a bit, Maddison being better than at Burton, our two best players were Washington and Amos in my view. None of the players were in any way sort of 'deliberately' bad, the situation we have to be honest about was that MKD were so much better.
    We are crying out for a settled team with less injuries and round pegs in round holes, which is why perhaps the biggest plus point was Famewo.

Whilst typing this I hear Bowyer was rather critical of us fans who were there.
    I won't go into why we were not more vocal or more sustained vocally, but if it is true that he criticised us it is a bad move. We were aching for the players to give us something to shout about anyway. Bowyer clapped us at the end.
    Hmmmn.
  • Options
    We were in. trouble from minute 1 ... their formation meant we were swamped going forward and outnumbered when in defence ... very predictable... lucky to carve out the one chance we did ... 

Back to the drawing board ... time for a different direction... Maddison and Aneke start? 

This central defensive pairing is not going to be able to withstand decent experienced players ... 

not the end of the world... irritating