Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2021

Comments

• Options
    Magic of Light is entered in the 4.15 at Cheltenham on Friday. A good performance will see the price crash. 
    20f a bit on the sharp side for her. Safe spin will do nicely for the main event.
    I think it is just a warm up to get her fit for the National. I'm on at 33/1
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Way too short  trip on decent ground for Magic Of Light, getting badly outpaced a mile or so out but reassuringly, according to Richard Hoiles, she "flew up the hill".
    So long as she's OK, a perfectly acceptable prep to blow the cobwebs away for the main event in 22 days time, for which the bits and pieces of 25s now all gone and she's 20s across the board.
    Still my model's #1 rated selection on Good to Soft.
    Roll on Aintree.
  • Options
    The next declaration stage is Tuesday. I hope we will see the field reduced down to about 50 and it will be good if they don't delay announcing it like they did at the last stage. Peanuts do you think Minellacelebration will get in? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The next declaration stage is Tuesday. I hope we will see the field reduced down to about 50 and it will be good if they don't delay announcing it like they did at the last stage. Peanuts do you think Minellacelebration will get in? 
    No worries. All with OR 148 are in the current top 40 so he’s guaranteed a run.
    Like Cloth Cap he will want a sound surface (Good to Soft Aintree-style fine).
    Forecast is currently for changeable weather during GN week. Still likely to be GS I’d say but not 100% certain and this year the going will make a meaningful difference to selections.
    Will post my model’s final but alternative top ratings (for GS and for Soft) after Tuesday’s Forfeit Stage.
    COYR.

• Options
    No worries. All with OR 148 are in the current top 40 so he’s guaranteed a run.

I'm a bit concerned because he is still available at 159/1 on the exchanges, that often suggests someone knows something. He hasn't run since January 9th and he hasn't been entered in any races before Aintree. So it will be 105 days since his last run. Far from ideal.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Major move for MINELLA TIMES (JP's money talking p'raps?), with his trainer's phenomenal week at Cheltenham and Farclas franking the form of December's Paddy Power Handicap.
    I backed him at 40s when I flagged him up before the weights a few weeks ago but the handicapper was a tad harsh on him, resulting in a borderline 3rd fail of my Screentest. Even if I'd wanted to cash out, Bob had whipped away his bids on my antepost interests so he's on my ticket now in any event. 
    Still very much the sort to run a huge race and the market seems to be agreeing now. Into 16/1.
    Could conceivably have the Queen of Cheltenham, Rachel Blackmore, on board so (for good or ill) could well be the proverbial "housewives' choice" on the day.
  • Options
    I hope they announce the declarations quicker than the last stage. This really needs to be done a lot earlier. It is crazy to still have over a hundred horses so close to the race.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I hope they announce the declarations quicker than the last stage. This really needs to be done a lot earlier. It is crazy to still have over a hundred horses so close to the race.
    There's a way to go yet @RobinKeepsBobbin
    After today's forfeit stage, there's a Confirmation stage on the Monday before the race. Declarations are on the Thursday before the race, when the top 40 in the GN Official Ratings remaining "make the cut", the absolute weights are finally set and the 4 reserves are set (the next highest in GNOR, which come in if any of the top 40 are scratched up to Friday lunchtime).
    However it's almost inconceivable that anything with a GNOR below 140 will make the cut, regardless of how many come out today.
    Taking the average rate of attrition of entries over the last 10 years, the cut is likely to come in the OR142s. Even taking the highest rate of attrition would suggest a cut in the OR140s.
    Never say never but, on that basis, even before today's scratchings, you can effectively put a line through Fitzhenry at #71 on 139 and everything below him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes but the owners and trainers must know who they intend to run. There is no point dragging it out like this. And for some unknown reason they don't seem to want us to know about it. I have been looking everywhere for the declarations that were supposed to be made today. But just like the last stage i can't find this information anywhere.
  • Options
    If I win Euromillions tonight, seeing as how CAFC no longer needs rescuing, I'm bidding for Alpha Des Obeaux at the Goffs sale tomorrow    :)
    Anyone fancy a fetlock?
  • Options
    If I win Euromillions tonight, seeing as how CAFC no longer needs rescuing, I'm bidding for Alpha Des Obeaux at the Goffs sale tomorrow    :)
    Anyone fancy a fetlock?
    put me down for a nose whisker ((:>)
  • Options
    Anyone fancy a fetlock?
    A few years back Anthony Honeyball went to the sales to try and buy Knock House for the Grand National. We said we would go too £60,000 for him.....Only two left bidding and Anthony was one of them and bidding at £106,000!!!!! Luckily/thankfully and whatever else was going through my head at the time Anthony stopped bidding!!!!! 
  • Options
    Horses withdrawn today. Ajas, Death Duty, Agusta Gold, Saturnas, Fitzhenry, Jerrysback, One Style and Glen Forsa. There are five more but finding this information is harder than finding the winner.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Easysland, Bellshill and Articulum had already come out and I think Storm Control is also scratched. 
    Oh well, so much for the skinny that, having moved to Willie Mullins, Agusta Gold was targeted at Aintree. One off my "next best" list. Thankfully I'd backed her NRNB.
  • Options
    Accuweather's forecast for Liverpool now showing rain and overcast conditions every day 1~10 April bar Tues 6th, including 5mm during the day on GN day itself.
    Can't rule out another Soft ground GN.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    BBC says no rain on 30th to 5th (only goes up to 5th).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657621
  • Options
    I'm hearing rumours that Minella Times will run in the Irish version instead. I assume this means they doubt he will get the distance at Aintree.
  • Options

"50:50" to quote Frank Berry and the ATR report:

A decision may be imminent on Minella Times’ big-race target this spring – with a choice of Grand Nationals still to be made.

Henry de Bromhead’s improving chaser has attracted market support into 16-1 with Coral for next month’s Randox Grand National, after punters discerned that he is Rachael Blackmore’s most likely ride at Aintree.

Blackmore’s brilliant Cheltenham Festival performance – as top rider at last week’s meeting with six victories, including the Champion Hurdle – has inevitably increased interest in her plans for the Aintree showpiece, which has never yet been won by a female jockey.

Minella Times retains an alternative entry in the Boylesports Irish Grand National, which will be run on Easter Monday – just five days before the equivalent at Liverpool.

The eight-year-old’s target could become clearer on Wednesday – when there is another forfeit stage for the Fairyhouse race – but Frank Berry, racing manager for owner JP McManus, has stressed discussions are ongoing.

“He’s in the Irish National as well – we’ll make a decision on that in the morning,” he said.

“It’ll be whether he stays in the Irish National, or comes out tomorrow.

“It’s very much up in the air at the minute. Today, it’s 50-50 – we’ll decide in the morning whether he stays in or comes out.”

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    BBC says no rain on 30th to 5th (only goes up to 5th).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657621

Nuff said    :)
  • Options
    Revert to Plan A
    Accuweather's changed its forecast - now wet up to 5 April, then dry and sunny intervals, warming up through to GN day.
    Good to Soft still odds on.
  • Options
    Revert to Plan A
    Accuweather's changed its forecast - now wet up to 5 April, then dry and sunny intervals, warming up through to GN day.
    Good to Soft still odds on.
    Good to Soft.  2/5
    Soft 3/1
    Heavy 10/1
    Good 16/1
    Good to firm 250/1
    Firm 500/1

These prices are on offer only - terms and conditions apply!

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Minella Times scratched from the Irish GN, along with all the big names also with Aintree entries, though disconcertingly from my perspective Discorama remains with entries in both.
    Looks like the Aintree gamble on King Henry & Queen Rachel of Cheltenham is on and, with or without HRH on board, it definitely has the stat-profile to run a huge race on a decent surface, though he's place rather than win material in my book.
    John Nallen and the Minella Hotel crew will be partying all year if another of their finds scoops another big one.
    But imagine the wavy-lined mouths on punters and journos if it's Katy Price's rank outsider Minellacelebration  :D
  • Options
    Hi Peanuts - what chance do you give Run Wild Fred?
  • Options
    Coming round to the idea that younger horses the ones to focus on. To that end how do Mister Malarky and Farclas come out on your model @PeanutsMolloy?

Latter is one I'm more interested in. Feel that Gigg know they've got something for this to abandon Tiger Roll. Stamina big question mark but has a strangely similar profile to Tiger.
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Hi Peanuts - what chance do you give Run Wild Fred?
    Sorry to be slow getting back @801912601
    Very interesting pick out is Fred. He'll be fortunate to make the cut with OR140 (not impossible but I'm estimating the cut will come among the 142s) but he’s got a very promising profile actually. Ticks a surprising number of boxes given he's only run 6 times over fences under Rules and, including an age and inexperience penalty, he only fails 3 of my Screentests. That would put him in the top 10 or thereabouts, so unlikely to figure at the business end but at 40/1 NRNB there are plenty worse e/w shouts.
    Thyestes 2nd was very impressive, shaping like he'd be better at further (and the winner and 5th have won since) but, as a 7 yo novice who only started chasing in October, in my (or rather my model's) view it’s a year too early for him. I know Rule The World was technically a novice when he won but he had a lot more experience and had near-missed in an Irish GN.
    No 7yo GN winner for 81 years now and barely a place to speak of in living memory but I do think we'll likely see a 7 yo winner (or at least near-misser) in the near future, indicated by the fact that 8 yos are doing much better in the post-2012 GNs.
    One to keep an eye on an maybe back early for next year.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Coming round to the idea that younger horses the ones to focus on. To that end how do Mister Malarky and Farclas come out on your model @PeanutsMolloy?

Latter is one I'm more interested in. Feel that Gigg know they've got something for this to abandon Tiger Roll. Stamina big question mark but has a strangely similar profile to Tiger.
    Hi @PolzeathNick
    Mister Malarky - probably OK weights-wise IMO and an interesting GN flavour to his pedigree (Dubacilla obviously his grand-dam, 4th in a GN, but also related to dear old Just So, close 2nd to Miinnehoma in the mud in 1994).
    Good modern-GN dam-sire profile with Teenoso but no Wild Risk anywhere is his pedigree, which I look for particularly on the dam-side, as it's been common to all 13 winners and near-missers since 2013. Might be thought a co-incidence but there's a reason why Wild Risk's genotype is particularly synergistic with (ubiquitous) descendants of Nearco.
    He fails other GN stat tests that I now use - poor hurdle rating and not a particularly encouraging record in his 5 runs beyond 24f.
    In total 4 fails of my Screentest and also, though he ran well in the hullabaloo of GN day in 2019, I'm not sure I'd feel confident knowing which Mister Malarky will turn up. 
    Not for me to be honest but his family is an interesting one from a GN perspective.
    Farclas is another interesting 7 yo. The form of December's Paddy Power hdcp is looking pretty decent, with his close 2nd last week making a total of 5 wins or near-misses from 8 runs subsequently by the first 6 home. As an aside, that bolsters my interest in Minella Times.
    Indeed resonant of Tiger with the Triumph on his CV and I agree with you both about youngsters in the GN and that the O'Leary's feel they have another card up their sleeve for Aintree (and have long fancied signing off Tiger's career with an Irish GN if poss) - though I think JP holds a better hand this year, as the market indicates.
    Weight looks good (2lbs well in now), 7yo is a minus but at least he's in his 2nd season chasing. Good strike rate as regards making the frame over fences, including in the spring, but as you say the trip is the big unknown, with just has that good 3rd in December his only outing at 3m. Gilgamboa's chase record was very similar prior to his 4th in the 2016 GN (4th in the PP hdcp beforehand) so it's not a no-no as an e/w proposition but a win at 26f+ or solid form at further is still pretty much a stat-prerequisite for coming home in front in a GN.
    Pedigree-wise he has Wild Risk on his damside and his 1~3 dam-sires have produced Group 1 winners on the flat, though notably typically at <10f.
    All in all he actually fails 5 of my Screentests but I think that under-rates his potential to ran a very nice race, if he takes to the fences.  
    I hope my musings help but please feel free to ignore them. Your instinct is usually spot on.

• Options
    I've been marvelling at this thread constantly. So much good information, Peanuts.

However, it seems as if it's been a more difficult year to pick a couple out that stand out from the crowd. Looking generally at what you've written, would I be right in saying that there is no horse that really fits a solid winning profile this year, as there have been in most other years? So we're more likely to cop an outlier?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I've been marvelling at this thread constantly. So much good information, Peanuts.

However, it seems as if it's been a more difficult year to pick a couple out that stand out from the crowd. Looking generally at what you've written, would I be right in saying that there is no horse that really fits a solid winning profile this year, as there have been in most other years? So we're more likely to cop an outlier?
    I think Cloth Cap stands out. I won't back him mainly due to the price. But also because he jumps to the left and he won't get away with that with 40 runners. He likes to lead but unless he leads from start to finish i don't see him winning. However that doesn't change the fact that with such a low weight he looks a certainty.