Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Weather forecasts still conflicting despite the fact we're just 2 weeks away.
    Metcheck has heavy rain (11mm) forecast for the day before the GN meeting starts and showers (2mm) on GN day itself.
    On that basis, maybe genuine GS (Soft places?) for the race?
    https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/180days.asp?zipcode=Liverpool&locationID=57220&lat=53.4&lon=-3&Event=The+Grand+National&EventDate=10/4/2021&MonthOf=4

Accuweather has it dry after showers on the prior Tuesday.
    On that basis, officially Good to Soft but in non-Aintree language (as they are reluctant these days to label any ground for the meeting without the word Soft somewhere) essentially Good
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/liverpool/l7-9/april-weather/330510?year=2021

EDIT - a mere 8 hours later and MetCheck now forecasts a largely dry week for the GN meeting but Accuweather has 5 hours and 12mm of rain hitting Liverpool on the opening Thursday.
  • Options

Ok folks,
    As already mentioned, a significant trend in post-2012 GNs relates to the winner's dam-sire (for those unfamiliar, that is its maternal grandfather), specifically in respect of the quality of their progeny at a distance on the flat. The damsire is always a key influence in a NH pedigree because its widely accepted that stamina tends to come from the mother's side of the pedigree.
    Breeding patterns are always evolving of course but, probably reflecting the greater emphasis in modern GNs (over less demanding fences) on stamina combined with a high cruising speed, as opposed to jumping prowess, there has been a sharp rise in the success of those runners with a damsire not of a traditional National Hunt background but whose progeny achieved Group 1 success at a minimum of 10f but typically at 12f+.

Consider this:
    In the 8 GNs 2005~12, 2 of the 15 winners and near-missers (Don't Push It & Sunnyhillboy) had a dam sire that had also sired or dam-sired a Group 1 winner rated RPR120+. Don't Push It's damsire was Alleged (sire of St Leger winner Shantou and ds of Arc winner Suave Dancer) and Sunnyhillboy's was High Line (ds of Derby winner High-Rise). 
    In the 7 GNs 2013~19, 10 of the 13 winners and near-missers (Pineau De Re, Saint Are and Rathvinden being the only exceptions) had a dam-sire whose progeny also include a G1 winner at 10f+ (RPR120+). 
    In fact, 8 of these 10 had an even rarer commodity in NH pedigrees, both a dam-sire AND a 2nd and/or 3rd dam-sire that had done likewise.

We must not put the proverbial cart before the horse. It's important to note that inheriting "quality speed" from a dam-sire doesn't make up for a deficiency in a runner’s other stats and is only valuable for a runner whose profile is otherwise well suited to GN success.
    By the way, that's true also of the (unrelated) presence of Wild Risk in a runner's dam-side (which all 13 winners and near-missers since 2013 possessed).
    Notably, in both cases, excluding winners and <5L near-missers, neither factor appears to be strongly correlated with performance.
    So, perhaps we may hypothesise that the presence of one or, preferably, both on a runner's dam-side may make the crucial extra 2% difference at the business end of a GN but otherwise is irrelevant.  

Looking for this extra 2%, the runners this year that have a dam-sire that has also sired or damsired a Group 1 winner at 10f+ (RPR120+) are, in weight order:

after each runner's name in brackets:
    2 means 2nd dam-sire had done likewise
    3 means 3rd dam-sire had done likewise
    + means also has Wild Risk present on the dam-side

The Storyteller
    Magic of Light (3 +)
    Pym
    Balko Des Flos (3)
    Shattered Love (+)
    The Jam Man (2)
    Cloth Cap (+)
    Ami Desbois (3)
    Gold Present (3)
    Keeper Hill (2 +)
    Some Neck (2&3)

Of these, as already noted, Magic Of Light and Cloth Cap are among my model's top 4 rated candidates on Good to Soft. 
    remarkable research Peanuts .. thank you
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    /
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the betting exchanges will close their ante post markets on the Grand National? I have several bets i intended to trade out but the prices have not dropped enough yet. I don't want to carry them over to the main market as it will involve a liability of thousands of pounds. 
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the betting exchanges will close their ante post markets on the Grand National? I have several bets i intended to trade out but the prices have not dropped enough yet. I don't want to carry them over to the main market as it will involve a liability of thousands of pounds. 
    This is only based on what they used to do (and things might have changed since they farmed their admin out to Romania) but it usually is an hour or so before the final declaration stage so I would guess at about 9.00am on Thursday 8th
  • Options
    This is only based on what they used to do (and things might have changed since they farmed their admin out to Romania) but it usually is an hour or so before the final declaration stage so I would guess at about 9.00am on Thursday 8th
    I asked Smarkets and got a less than helpful reply. I don't know why they can't carry it over to the raceday market. I worked it out so i would have six horses running for me at no loss if they are beaten. But the prices are not as they should be at this stage, example Magic of Light is 20/1 with just about every bookie but the exchanges are offering 33/1. This is not right. 25/1 would be the maximum i would offer and i was hoping for no more than 21/1. If we don't see some movement soon i might have to wait a lot longer than i wanted. I was hoping to avoid having to deposit thousands of pounds by simply trading out in the ante post market.
  • Options
    Come to the conclusion that the fav is going to be bloody hard to beat. But at 4/1 or 5/1 that is the game that has to be played.

Was encouraged by signs of life in Alpha Des Obeaux in the cross country and intriguingly he was withdrawn from the sales. I hate how the handicapper has treated him mind but have bet him already!

I thought Any Second Now was fairly solid but maybe high enough and in the end come to the conclusion that Mister Malarky is too. May be ones for ew extra places but you don't know how the latter will ever show up. Liked him for ages and done my brains on him.

I agree with @PeanutsMolloy that Some Neck is interesting and definitely on my radar too. But I keep coming back to FARCLAS. As already noted he is something of a trends buster...7yo, stamina questions etc... But think the younger brigade are the ones to focus on and there are some pedigree comforts in answering the stamina question.  He was unlucky to bump into The Shunter at Cheltenham but got outpaced in the sprint finish there and stumbled before weaving through everyone.  He is 33s NRNB and may well not line up (in the Irish version and Topham). But an Elliott (cough) Gigg horse that is well in is no more than a 16s shot come the day imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I asked Smarkets and got a less than helpful reply. I don't know why they can't carry it over to the raceday market. I worked it out so i would have six horses running for me at no loss if they are beaten. But the prices are not as they should be at this stage, example Magic of Light is 20/1 with just about every bookie but the exchanges are offering 33/1. This is not right. 25/1 would be the maximum i would offer and i was hoping for no more than 21/1. If we don't see some movement soon i might have to wait a lot longer than i wanted. I was hoping to avoid having to deposit thousands of pounds by simply trading out in the ante post market.
    Because the two markets come under different sets of rules and also the technology needed to do so would make it very difficult.

You would have to ring fence the 40 declared runners but you couldn't leave those runners in the Ante Post market because Reduction Factor deductions would have to apply to the day of the race market. If you took the 40 out then that creates all sorts of issues for those that have traded the whole book i.e. it could affect their position to the extent that they would have a negative balance until such time as the day of the race market is settled.
  • Options
    I keep looking at 12yo Takingrisks but will have to wait and see what the going is. Seems unlikely to be heavy. 
  • Options
    @PeanutsMolloy - Secret Reprieve. Thoughts? That Welsh Nat win really was very taking in style.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    @PeanutsMolloy - Secret Reprieve. Thoughts? That Welsh Nat win really was very taking in style.
    Morning @PaddyP17
    You'll recall that I strongly fancied Ramses De Teillee as a 7yo in 2019 and expressed the view then that a 7yo will be good enough to win the GN sometime soon. Clearly RDT wasn't but I still firmly believe that, post the course changes, the right 7 yo will score providing they are ridden to win the race rather than have a "sighter" (as I believe Cause Of Causes was given in 2015).
    I strongly suspect that a "sighter" is privately what this is all about for Secret Reprieve but, even if I'm wrong, he's not scoring well on my system and I doubt he's "the one". 14/1 is way too short IMHO.
    I don't disagree with your view of the Welsh GN (Yala Enki is a reliable yardstick) but a 10lb higher mark for the GN is a lot. He had to go up that much to get a run (such has been the rise in typical OR of a GN that a same-season Welsh GN winner carrying c 10.00 typically doesn't make the cut at Aintree these days) but the form of the Welsh GN was somewhat let down in the Midlands National.
    As regards his stat-rating by my system, he's a 6++ on GS and 5++ on Soft, so quite a way down the list.
    Obviously, there's significant margin for error when considering the stats of 7 year olds given the sheer lack of races (6 chases and 2 hurdles in his case). I don't think the inexperience itself is a "no-no" for contending (Shutthefrontdoor had only 6 chases under his belt when 5th in 2015, though the Irish GN winner and Festival 4m near-misser patently didn't get the trip) but I can only go with my system and his Screentest fails are:
    • not prohibitive but a 7 yo is a minus, even if only over riding instructions
    • premium of only +2 (+5 minimum) for 3m+ chase RPR-high (146, notched in the Welsh GN Trial) vs GNOR (144)
    • no run since Chepstow (91 days) and, while other runners have had similar/longer breaks, some have a genuinely strong record when fresh (50+ days). He is 0 from 4 (excl. NHF - 0 from 5 if included). One For Arthur pushed the boundary back with 84 days (otherwise a run after weights published the norm) but at least he'd won >50% when fresh. 
    • inadequate hurdle RPR 128, though admittedly 128 is hardly poor for only 2 runs (but 133+ needed - a surprisingly strong stat for modern-GNs unless previous form over the fences) 
    • no Wild Risk anywhere in the pedigree (stats-wise, that doesn't preclude placing), otherwise a good stayer's pedigree: related to One Man and Bellshill; sire Flemensfirth (sired 3 GN runner ups) and damsire Oscar (damsire of The Last Samuri)
    • on going, he has no form to speak of on better than Soft - though again only 2 runs to date on Official GS though the time of the Welsh GN suggested effectively GS, so maybe a tad harsh to apply the extra going "fail"
    On the plus side he notches ++:
    • 2nd season chaser with a Class 1 29f+ win (so he does match up on that stat with 2nd season chasers who have gone well in modern-GNs, but they've all had only 0~2 stat fails)
    • 75% win/near-miss strike rate (3 from 4) in 3m+ chases
    So, he's not for me but, as I said, there has to be more doubt over a stat-score for such an inexperienced runner. I've no doubt that he has the potential for a terrific career as a staying chaser and could well join the Rucker's other GN stars (State Of Play, Cappa Bleu and Alvarado) as a multiple GN placer (maybe a winner) in years to come. It's just a year too early IMHO.

Hope these musings are of interest but, as always, please don't let me put you off - me and my model are frequently wrong, e.g. :'( RDT .
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Hi Peanuts - what chance do you give Run Wild Fred?

You've probably seen this already @801912601 but O'Leary's confirmed that Fairyhouse is the target for Fred.
  • Options
    Some indication that they may actually run Farclas in the National
  • Options
    Not trying take anything away from your excellent thread Peanuts,keep up the great work.I was talking to a well known punter and tipster the weekend and he said he can’t see past either Burrows Saint or Potters Corner for the National.Mentioned my 25/1 ante post Cloth Cap bet and he said lay it off now or certainly before the race if you want to pinch some extra pennies as he won’t win it! And added if he is allowed to dictate which I can’t see he won’t last out and if amongst the field his ability to not jump in a straight line will cause him all sorts of problems.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Not trying take anything away from your excellent thread Peanuts,keep up the great work.I was talking to a well known punter and tipster the weekend and he said he can’t see past either Burrows Saint or Potters Corner for the National.Mentioned my 25/1 ante post Cloth Cap bet and he said lay it off now or certainly before the race if you want to pinch some extra pennies as he won’t win it! And added if he is allowed to dictate which I can’t see he won’t last out and if amongst the field his ability to not jump in a straight line will cause him all sorts of problems.
     Many thanks for that @killer kish Very valuable thoughts (you're certainly not taking anything away) and I've got a lot of sympathy with that view re CC. Tactically Scu's got a problem because he will be taken on and, aside from not having things his own way, if he wants to be prominent, one imagines he'll want to line up (if he can) on or near the inner - but that'll test him over the tallest part of Bechers of course. I'm not convinced that's a great idea with his jumping style.
    Personally I'm not so sure he'll jump to the right - he didn't obviously do so in the Hennessy and Kelso is a funky track that causes horses to go a bit skewiff sometimes - but I can see him not completing, even on his preferred ground, because sons of Beneficial just don't seem to like the mayhem of a GN.
    Certainly 4/1 is a nutso price and I wouldn't blame you for banking a nice profit laying him now. But, at the end of the day, I'm a stats-guy and having got him at 20s I'm going to stick with the "team" that has the closest fit (according to my model) with previous winners/near-missers and he's one of the top 4 for me on GS. But stats are very rigid things of course and can't take account of the whole picture.
    Very grateful for the heads up.

• Options
    Your insight never ceases to amaze me, Peanuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which one do you think Discorama will go for Peanuts? I'm fairly confident he will go to Aintree.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Your insight never ceases to amaze me, Peanuts.
    ..... and move me ever-closer to divorce.
    You're too kind Bob. Cheers
    He'll probably fall at the 1st   :/
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Which one do you think Discorama will go for Peanuts? I'm fairly confident he will go to Aintree.

Nolan would prefer Aintree I'm sure but I am a tad worried about the forecast.

He's been very explicit in the past about needing soft enough ground for him (I interpret that not as ruling out GS but at least being assured of genuine cut). I've no idea how much faith he'll place in Aintree to water to keep it proper GS if the forecast is dry (they've not always succeeded and it's ridden quickish in some years, and the late Off time isn't helpful).

He might just want to weigh up whether Fairyhouse is the safer bet for Disco. He does have Latest Exhibition lined up for the Irish GN of course but that might depend on Tiger running and keeping the weights down.

Would be a huge shame if Disco doesn't run at Liverpool. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    801912601 said:
    Hi Peanuts - what chance do you give Run Wild Fred?

You've probably seen this already @801912601 but O'Leary's confirmed that Fairyhouse is the target for Fred.
    Cheers for the update
  • Options
    Aintree’s Clerk of the Course says they’ll “probably be irrigating by the middle of this week just to keep things on the right side. We'll keep an eye on things with a view to next week when we have the usual aim of starting the meeting on good to soft."
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Be warned, weather forecasts are becoming more changeable for Liverpool next week.
    Accuweather now forecasting 8.2mm during the day on GN Saturday itself, loads of cloud cover and some rainfall every day Sun through Thursday (totalling c 25mm) beforehand.
    Could go either way.
  • Options
    Seems that Santini won't run in the GN, leaving only Bristol De Mai on topweight.
    He's an intended runner but if he were to come out before declarations tomorrow week, the weights would rise at least 2lbs.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Discorama has caught a tailwind in the market over the last 48 hours and is now into top price 25s NRNB but is as short as 16s with PP.
    My long-shot but serious fancy, Minellacelebration, has cropped up in more than one list of fancied outsiders from pundits in the last few days and, if you're not already on but want to have him on your team, the 80s from Bet365 may or may not last.
    More anon.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Yay!! Discorama is Aintree bound. Bet365 and others now at 20s (only BetFred of the 5 place payers at 25s now). 

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/discorama-out-to-realise-nolans-dream/190588

He is a horse that's ridden held up and that does require some fortune in avoiding others' misfortune but the GN can be won from off the pace (e.g. most recently One For Arthur).

And it wouldn't put Ruby Walsh off riding him: ""If I was sitting down right now as a jockey and waiting for the phone to ring, I'd be delighted if Jonjo or my dad rang, or Willie Mullins for Burrows Saint or Paul Nolan for Discorama – I most certainly wouldn't say no."