Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

🎄CHRISTMAS TV FILM WATCH 2020 🎅

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Rocky IV is simultaneously the worst and the greatest Rocky movie of all time. I love it. Went and saw at the cinema a few weeks back. 

It's the worst because it's directly out of the MTV generation. It's like 5 pop videos stitched together. During the No Easy Way Out montage (a song that Robert Tepper pretended he had written for the movie, but had in fact completed a few months earlier, and it's about his divorce, not a boxer who lost a friend), Rocky has a series of flashbacks, going back about ten years, and he even reminisces about the scene before he got in the car and started reminiscing. Also, Paulie's robot. He manages to reprogram AI in a way no human has before or since. Interestingly, there's some guy who was making these robots to help autistic children. Stallone found out about them and felt compelled to write them into his movie. 

Stallone is, as I type, creating a new version of Rocky IV so he can remove the robot and add some unseen footage. It could very well make Rocky IV the greatest movie of all time. 

Anyway, out of that list, I am voting for Drive. 

He's an interesting character Stallone.  Think he was living on the breadline and sold his dog to make ends meet for another week or two. Then his script for Rocky was picked up and he was paid fortunes and he bought his dog back (for way over the odds) who appears as his dog Butkus in the film.

Won an oscar didn't it?  Amazing bunch of films although not a huge fan of the the last one and the first Creed one.
  • Options
    I think this might be the first time I've ever had to Google one of your recommendations Beds. Never heard of The Sound of Metal until this morning. Sounds interesting. 

👍🏻

I only saw it this week. It's one of my favourite films of 2020
  • Options
    I think this might be the first time I've ever had to Google one of your recommendations Beds. Never heard of The Sound of Metal until this morning. Sounds interesting. 

👍🏻

I think he meant to say the sound of music!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020

👍🏻

I think he meant to say the sound of music!!
    Yeh but if it grates on you he's bang on with the Sound of Metal  ;). Well done Beds 👍
  • Options
    Thanks Beds , have set up to record Predator, and watch it with my son as he’s never seen it before.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Starting 10 days of self isolating today as stepson tested positive so this thread will be a god send. Thanks Beds👍
    Get a test. Result back in 24hrs and if negative you are back in the game.

No he's not, ffs, that's why this virus is spreading like it is.
  • Options
    None of my films today.  Remains at £5
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    None of my films today.  Remains at £5
    I'm trying to remember what you said was yours last Christmas!
  • Options
    Christmas Day, 330 pm, Channel 4, The Italian Job - End of discussion.
  • Options
    Christmas Day, 330 pm, Channel 4, The Italian Job - End of discussion.
    I remember my old man getting excited when this was on TV in the late 70’s/early 80’s and making a point of watching it with me. It was a big thing when films were on TV in those days (only 3 channels) and I thought it was amazing and still do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020

SUNDAY 20th of DECEMBER 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.30PM            -              CHANNEL 4        -          WHITE CHRISTMAS  

5.50PM            -               BBC 2                  -           CATCH ME IF YOU CAN 

7.00PM             -               ITV 2                  -            UNCLE BUCK 

On Demand      -               NETFLIX          -           MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM

5.45PM              -              SKY DOCUMENTARIES           -          SENNA   
    ( Recommended film of the day)

9.00PM             -               SKY CINEMA THRILLER          -         AMERICAN GANGSTER 

• Options
    Beds any idea when the blues brothers is due to be shown on the telly next?
  • Options
    Did a last minute swerve from American gangster to Trial of the Chicago 7 tonight. Watched the Irishmen last night.

With the count at 2, I’ve Seen more films in the last 24hrs than I have in the last 3 months!
  • Options
    Beds any idea when the blues brothers is due to be shown on the telly next?
    I can't see it on anywhere over Christmas on TV . You can rent it on Amazon Prime or Youtube . 
  • Options
    American Gangster is excellent, Catch Me If You Can also worth a watch. 
  • Options
    Did a last minute swerve from American gangster to Trial of the Chicago 7 tonight. Watched the Irishmen last night.

With the count at 2, I’ve Seen more films in the last 24hrs than I have in the last 3 months!
    You're like some of my GCSE Film Studies pupils. They don't watch films often at all (they choose it as the lesser of a selection of evils and/or because they assume wrongly that it's an easy subject). 
  • Options

You're like some of my GCSE Film Studies pupils. They don't watch films often at all (they choose it as the lesser of a selection of evils and/or because they assume wrongly that it's an easy subject). 
    I would have so loved the choice back in my youth . I’d have been all over film studies! 
  • Options

I would have so loved the choice back in my youth . I’d have been all over film studies! 
    Same here! I think you would enjoy teaching it too. I'm an English teacher but was given Film Studies to teach as well, four years ago, and I prefer it - partly because I'm the only one teaching it so I can decide exactly what I want to teach from the syllabus.

Currently my choices from the films on the list are:

Tsotsi (a South African film about a street thug who steals a car only to find a baby on the back seat)
    Whiplash
    Submarine
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    E.T. (has to be compared with 'Invasion...')

In Year 9, it's all about film form (cinematography, lighting, etc), some history, plus I show 'Hugo' and a little-known Afghan film 'Osama' to take them way out of their comfort zone.

For coursework, there is a film-making option but my pupils all produce screenplays and shooting scripts for a scene from a horror film so there is a lot of watching of clips from horror films. I'm really proud of what they produce.

I have no qualifications myself in Film but we're getting good results. Five ex-pupils are currently at colleges, studying Film with a view to making it their careers. Plus, it's also great to hear parents tell me that since their sons and daughters started Film, their family film watching is often punctuated by their kids making comments such as, 'Mum, that's a dolly zoom effect', or 'That scene would have been so much better if they had used a tracking shot.'

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm guessing that there will be film fans on here who would be interested to know that Film Studies exists at GCSE level (albeit a minority of schools teach it) and what it entails.
    Hugo is such a perfect film for film studies 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    stonemuse said:

Same here! I think you would enjoy teaching it too. I'm an English teacher but was given Film Studies to teach as well, four years ago, and I prefer it - partly because I'm the only one teaching it so I can decide exactly what I want to teach from the syllabus.

Tsotsi (a South African film about a street thug who steals a car only to find a baby on the back seat)
    Whiplash
    Submarine
    Slumdog Millionaire

In Year 9, it's all about film form (cinematography, lighting, etc), some history, plus I show 'Hugo' and a little-known Afghan film 'Osama' to take them way out of their comfort zone.

For coursework, there is a film-making option but my pupils all produce screenplays and shooting scripts for a scene from a horror film so there is a lot of watching of clips from horror films. I'm really proud of what they produce.

I have no qualifications myself in Film but we're getting good results. Five ex-pupils are currently at colleges, studying Film with a view to making it their careers. Plus, it's also great to hear parents tell me that since their sons and daughters started Film, their family film watching is often punctuated by their kids making comments such as, 'Mum, that's a dolly zoom effect', or 'That scene would have been so much better if they had used a tracking shot.'

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm guessing that there will be film fans on here who would be interested to know that Film Studies exists at GCSE level (albeit a minority of schools teach it) and what it entails.
    Hugo is such a perfect film for film studies 
    Ha! Yes. I show them some of 'A Trip to the Moon' (and 'Safety Last') in Term One. I don't tell them what 'Hugo' is about so that it comes as a surprise to them, as it is to Hugo, when in the next term, we find out who the shopkeeper is in the railway station. Lots of heads turn round, look at me and say, 'That's what we watched!' It really helps embed that early film history. Thank you, Scorsese.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love this thread 

Although Drive should have been film of the day for the 18th that was a very strong lineup, could have made a case for multiple winners 
  • Options

Whiplash
    Submarine
    Slumdog Millionaire

I was disappointed by Whiplash which seemed to me a not great riff on the tough sergeant with new recruits trope.
  • Options
    I’m a traditionalist and will be watching Zulu (DVD)  
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m a traditionalist and will be watching Zulu (DVD)  
    Now that was a great defence, that kept them out until the end of the game. 
  • Options
    I watched My Uncle Frank last night on Prime.  It was a really good watch.  Chosen at random with no research and definitely lucked out.
  • Options

MONDAY 21st of DECEMBER 

---------------------------------------------------------------

10.35PM            -           BBC2            -          THE REVENANT  

11.40PM            -           FILM 4          -          UNBROKEN 

02.20AM            -           FILM 4           -         SLOW WEST

4.05PM              -           SKY MOVIES ACTION              -               LE MANS 66

7.25PM              -            SKY MOVIES THRILLER          -               BLUE STORY   ( Recommended film of the day)

8.00PM              -           SKY MOVIES MUSICALS           -              JUDY

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Never watched Catch Me If You Can until now, really enjoyed it. Is it a true story?

Great thread as ever Bedsaddick

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Never watched Catch Me If You Can until now, really enjoyed it. Is it a true story?

Great thread as ever Bedsaddick

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale
  • Options
    Revanent is a great film.