Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

🎄CHRISTMAS TV FILM WATCH 2020 🎅

Comments

• Options
    Revanent is a great film.
    Agreed . A lot of people are sniffy about it but I loved it .
  • Options
    Me too 
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    You cant beat Predator...one of my favourites
    Arnie did!

It's a Loony Tunes ending - they had no idea how to finish of the Predator and someone came up with the idea of doing like Wiley Coyote, etc.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Rocky IV is simultaneously the worst and the greatest Rocky movie of all time. I love it. Went and saw at the cinema a few weeks back. 

It's the worst because it's directly out of the MTV generation. It's like 5 pop videos stitched together. During the No Easy Way Out montage (a song that Robert Tepper pretended he had written for the movie, but had in fact completed a few months earlier, and it's about his divorce, not a boxer who lost a friend), Rocky has a series of flashbacks, going back about ten years, and he even reminisces about the scene before he got in the car and started reminiscing. Also, Paulie's robot. He manages to reprogram AI in a way no human has before or since. Interestingly, there's some guy who was making these robots to help autistic children. Stallone found out about them and felt compelled to write them into his movie. 

Stallone is, as I type, creating a new version of Rocky IV so he can remove the robot and add some unseen footage. It could very well make Rocky IV the greatest movie of all time. 

Anyway, out of that list, I am voting for Drive. 

He's an interesting character Stallone.  Think he was living on the breadline and sold his dog to make ends meet for another week or two. Then his script for Rocky was picked up and he was paid fortunes and he bought his dog back (for way over the odds) who appears as his dog Butkus in the film.

Won an oscar didn't it?  Amazing bunch of films although not a huge fan of the the last one and the first Creed one.
    A friend of mine had a stall at an antiques fair, around 20 years ago now.  This bloke came up and said he'd take a particular piece (£20,000 worth) and could it be delivered to his hotel?  Then he left the hotel name and room number and walked off.  My friend was a bit nonplussed until someone pointed out the customer was Stallone.
  • Options
    I really liked it - classic slow burning Western.
  • Options

SUNDAY 20th of DECEMBER 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.30PM            -              CHANNEL 4        -          WHITE CHRISTMAS  

5.50PM            -               BBC 2                  -           CATCH ME IF YOU CAN 

7.00PM             -               ITV 2                  -            UNCLE BUCK 

On Demand      -               NETFLIX          -           MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM

5.45PM              -              SKY DOCUMENTARIES           -          SENNA   
    ( Recommended film of the day)

9.00PM             -               SKY CINEMA THRILLER          -         AMERICAN GANGSTER 

Senna is one of the great documentaries.  Ms AA has no interest in cars (hers is blue, that's about all she could tell you about it) but was engrossed in Senna from start to finish.  Like Jaws isn't about a shark [(c) Mark Kermode], Senna isn't about racing cars.
  • Options
    I watched My Uncle Frank last night on Prime.  It was a really good watch.  Chosen at random with no research and definitely lucked out.
    If you mean Uncle Frank (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11327514/), yes, that's well worth a watch.  The young woman in it, Sophia Lillis, is in I Am Not Okay with This, a good sci-fi mini-series on Netflix.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thread, @Bedsaddick, I've enjoyed it every Christmas you've done it, even if I don't agree with all your choices.
  • Options

TUESDAY 22nd of DECEMBER 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.15PM           -           BBC 2             -                 THE SEARCHERS

10.00PM           -           ITV 4               -              THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

10.40PM            -              BBC1              -             COLLATERAL      ( Recommended film of the day)

On Demand        -             NETFLIX                 -                     THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME

8.00PM               -             SKY MOVIES CHRISTMAS            -          TRADING PLACES 

10.00PM             -             SKY MOVIES THRILLER              -            SCARFACE

• Options
    Another set of big hitters and a great shout fir film of the day when the easy thing to do would be to chuck out the red meat of scarface or wolf of Wall Street 

Collateral is a very cool film 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trading Places for me, think its brilliant. Not seen it for about 10yrs so am looking forward to that. Learning to appreciate simple pleasures during lockdown.
    Collateral is a great film so will watch that too if I can stay awake.

• Options
    Unbroken was a good shout too Beds.

Not that I’ll get a chance to watch any with a 4 month old at the moment.
  • Options
    I’ve never seen Scarface, tonight I will.
  • Options
    Great film 
  • Options
    Must be the mafia impact, but that even reads as quite threatening:-) 
  • Options
    Does anybody know when or if National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is on this year? My mum likes it and i'd like to let her know when she can watch it.
  • Options
    Does anybody know when or if National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is on this year? My mum likes it and i'd like to let her know when she can watch it.
    ITV 4 - Christmas Day - 9 o’clock 
  • Options
    ITV 4 - Christmas Day - 9 o’clock 
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The Searchers is not only John Wayne's finest film, it's one of the greatest Westerns.  Actually, scratch that, it's one of the greatest films - it being Western is just the hook on which to hang the story.  I remember watching it at about 12, 13 years of age and being profoundly moved.
  • Options
    It's on Prime apart from that I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trading Places is probably Eddie Murphy's best bit of acting.  It's a shame he then just turned out mostly dross after that, with the notable exception of Dolemite is My Name.
  • Options

WEDNESDAY 23RD of DECEMBER  

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2.15PM              -             BBC 2         -           CASABLANCA 

10.00PM            -             BBC 2         -           PHANTOM THREAD

11.00PM             -            PARAMOUNT NETWORK        -          THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS 

4.20PM               -            SKY MOVIES ACTION              -             BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID 

9.45PM               -            SKY MOVIES PREMIERE          -             CLEMENCY

10.15PM             -            SKY MOVIES ACTION              -             INGLORIOUS BASTERDS     ( Recommended film of the day)

• Options
    A fair amount of these films are on Sky Movies/Premiere/Action/Cinema etc.
    I'm hazarding a guess that that the majority of CL don't have these channels, even if it's a 51% majority.
  • Options
    Love Inglorious Basterds, such a good film 
  • Options
    Casablanca is a great choice, exact type of non-Christmas film I still love watching at Christmas, up there with The Great Escape, The Italian Job etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Some excellent films in Beds’ list, including Phantom Thread which, for me, was by some distance, the best film of 2017. Tremendous depth and outstanding performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and the great Lesley Manville.
  • Options
    Is phantom thread anything to do with @bertpalmer missing survey 
  • Options
    A fair amount of these films are on Sky Movies/Premiere/Action/Cinema etc.
    I'm hazarding a guess that that the majority of CL don't have these channels, even if it's a 51% majority.
    As I did with the Lockdown film thread in March  I said I would do the first three on freeview and the next three on Satellite/Cable or Streaming services so there is always at least three film recommendations that anyone can see
    Unless they haven't got a telly.
  • Options
    I will be in Guy's having an ultrasound scan otherwise I'd be all over Casablanca.

The Marx Brothers did a film called A Night in Casablanca.  Warner Bros, who made Bogart's film, tried to stop them using the name Casablanca in their film title, claiming some kind of ownership of the name.  Groucho sent them a letter pointing out, with very heavy sarcasm, how stupid they were being and no more was heard from WB.  Sadly, A Night... is a low point of the Marx Brothers oeuvre, the joke at the start with Harpo leaning on a wall is funny and it goes down hill rapidly from there.  If you haven't seen it, don't bother.