Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    in short - football management is also about managing the fans - he needs to tell us why he is doing what he is doing, not just tell TS, coz the fans will eventually get him the sack if this carries on 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    in short - football management is also about managing the fans - he needs to tell us why he is doing what he is doing, not just tell TS, coz the fans will eventually get him the sack if this carries on 
    Jesus wept... Why the hell does he need to explain himself to us???

When has a Manager ever explained himself like that to fans
    because nobody thinks he is doing a good job and cannot fathom his actions - if you are defending what he is doing and there is no agenda, then i'm afraid you don't understand football and yes, the fans have turned fully now, as have i, and that will see the back of him - love his declarations of love for the club but i am sick and tired of his negative tactics  
  • Options
    What I fail to understand is people's attitude that they think we should be winning every game and think its unacceptable to drop any points this season

Yes its frustrating we keep conceding late on but a draw is a draw, regardless of the minute that we concede, its going to happen from time to time, else if we win every game then we're finishing on 118-points!!

If ANYONE thinks any team will get close to that number then they need to rejoin the real world

To get to 88-pts alone and equal two years ago (we're currently ahead of that target) we can afford to lose another six games, and draw another six games

Those 12-games where we drop points wont solely happen against teams we're fighting for promotion with, and if we do we're creating even bigger problems for ourselves as the gap will only widen.

Putting it into simple terms, we probably wont do the double over HALF the teams in this Division

So instead of moaning about the fact that we're dropping points against Burton | Gillingham | Shrewsbury | MK Dons | Swindon, people need to look at the table and remember that is the standard of the League that we're in... Once again drop the goddamn arrogance, as trust me, regardless of the Manager, we WILL drop points between now and the end of the season and there is a big chance it'll be against an unfashionable team that the majority will look down their noses at on here!!

If people cant accept that dropped points will happen (in any number of ways (silly mistakes, penalties, switching off, in the last minute), then I seriously question if your following the right sport

Of course its fine to question Bowyer's tactics, but at the moment this forum is as bad as my wife when she on her monthly, win and everything is great, lose and its the end of the bloody world!! - All sense of reason / perspective gets lost
    I'm sorry but for me this a really wierd post/rant.

People are not upset by dropped points, but by the manner of the dropped points, and the fact that our manager is clearly not learning form what many of us believe are glaring tactical mistakes.

Not one person on this forum expects us to win every match. But they also don't expect us to go defensive, with 25 minutes left, in a game where we are only one goal up, but clearly in control. 

Not weird for me. Forever is the most optimistic poster on the forum. He was even upbeat when we conceded last minute against Birmingham. So not surprised he’s content we dropped two points yesterday and still feeling positive about our chances. 

By the way FA, this isn’t a dig at all. Just can’t always share your optimism, not with the way it’s gone recently. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    The most irritating decision was not to bring Williams on for either JFC or Maddison. He would have run rings around them with so much open space and maybe even scored to seal the win.

Bows decided against giving him any minutes in the game following his goal for Wales and now following his goal for us. Maybe psychology and understanding people are not his strongest points.
    Way I took it was the fact that all game Swindon had been pressing us, they didnt sit back like Wimbledon did at any stage

Hell first half they could have gone 2-0 up right before we equalised

It was the same second half, we didnt control proceedings at any stage as Swindon were just as dangerous attacking us, almost a bit like Shrewsbury

Guess that game was at the back of Bowyer's mind, does he put Williams on, only for him to shirk out of challenges

You're right, we needed someone to put their foot on the ball, slow the game down and keep it, whilst proving reliable in defence.

Is that last aspect something that Williams is going to do?
  • Options
    What I fail to understand is people's attitude that they think we should be winning every game and think its unacceptable to drop any points this season

Yes its frustrating we keep conceding late on but a draw is a draw, regardless of the minute that we concede, its going to happen from time to time, else if we win every game then we're finishing on 118-points!!

If ANYONE thinks any team will get close to that number then they need to rejoin the real world

To get to 88-pts alone and equal two years ago (we're currently ahead of that target) we can afford to lose another six games, and draw another six games

Those 12-games where we drop points wont solely happen against teams we're fighting for promotion with, and if we do we're creating even bigger problems for ourselves as the gap will only widen.

Putting it into simple terms, we probably wont do the double over HALF the teams in this Division

So instead of moaning about the fact that we're dropping points against Burton | Gillingham | Shrewsbury | MK Dons | Swindon, people need to look at the table and remember that is the standard of the League that we're in... Once again drop the goddamn arrogance, as trust me, regardless of the Manager, we WILL drop points between now and the end of the season and there is a big chance it'll be against an unfashionable team that the majority will look down their noses at on here!!

If people cant accept that dropped points will happen (in any number of ways (silly mistakes, penalties, switching off, in the last minute), then I seriously question if your following the right sport

Of course its fine to question Bowyer's tactics, but at the moment this forum is as bad as my wife when she on her monthly, win and everything is great, lose and its the end of the bloody world!! - All sense of reason / perspective gets lost

People are not upset by dropped points, but by the manner of the dropped points, and the fact that our manager is clearly not learning form what many of us believe are glaring tactical mistakes.

Not one person on this forum expects us to win every match. But they also don't expect us to go defensive, with 25 minutes left, in a game where we are only one goal up, but clearly in control. 
    So whats going to be an acceptable way to drop points?
    Getting out played like we did against MK Dons, or being shit like we were against Burton are a couple of examples. 

Not because your manager has changed a formation that was working, and had us comfortable, to put on defenders, change to a defensive formation and invite unneeded pressure.

How can you not see that? 
    Because Swindon, like Shrewsbury werent sitting back all game were they? - They were putting pressure on us all game, just as much we were on them

Even having six defenders on the pitch, you'd hope that they'd be professional and able enough to do their job!!
  • Options

Not weird for me. Forever is the most optimistic poster on the forum. He was even upbeat when we conceded last minute against Birmingham. So not surprised he’s content we dropped two points yesterday and still feeling positive about our chances. 

By the way FA, this isn’t a dig at all. Just can’t always share your optimism, not with the way it’s gone recently. 
    No offence taken - Again though, I want it to be clear, I'm not content with dropping two points yesterday

I just try and put some perspective into results - We're not going to win every game, we're going to drop points in any manner of ways

Its just how the Sport works
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

because nobody thinks he is doing a good job and cannot fathom his actions - if you are defending what he is doing and there is no agenda, then i'm afraid you don't understand football and yes, the fans have turned fully now, as have i, and that will see the back of him - love his declarations of love for the club but i am sick and tired of his negative tactics  
    So when has a Manager previously come and out and explained himself to the fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

So when has a Manager previously come and out and explained himself to the fans?
    when has a manager previously failed to play his best player time and time again and got away with it? not working out too well for arteta with ozil either is it ? 
  • Options

Getting out played like we did against MK Dons, or being shit like we were against Burton are a couple of examples. 

Not because your manager has changed a formation that was working, and had us comfortable, to put on defenders, change to a defensive formation and invite unneeded pressure.

Because Swindon, like Shrewsbury werent sitting back all game were they? - They were putting pressure on us all game, just as much we were on them

Even having six defenders on the pitch, you'd hope that they'd be professional and able enough to do their job!!
    I think the fact that we *had* six defenders on the pitch towards the end of that game shows a distinct *lack* if professionalism (and nous)..... from the manager!!
  • Options
    I dont agree with the substitutions that Bowyer makes,but come on,the Shrewsbury game was drawn as a result of   a stupid trip by Gunter.Yesterday, a free header from a set piece in injury time,that is sheer bad play,nothing else.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

I think the fact that we *had* six defenders on the pitch towards the end of that game shows a distinct *lack* if professionalism (and nous)..... from the manager!!
    But then one of them (Maatsen) wasnt playing as a defender was he... He was in Midfield the moment JFC went off and was obviously meant to be there so his pace could chase a long ball punted forwards

Unfortunately none of the defence put their foot on the ball and thought about making that ball, they made too many rushed decisions which only saw the ball come back
  • Options
    Bows is probably thinking he didn't go defensive as kept Deji on the bench. 

I genuinely think that he thinks/does not see things that the majority do. That can bave benefits and negatives.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Talal said:

No offence taken - Again though, I want it to be clear, I'm not content with dropping two points yesterday

I just try and put some perspective into results - We're not going to win every game, we're going to drop points in any manner of ways

Of course we're going to drop points but yesterday felt so unnecessary. By making those subs we effectively said to Swindon "we've done enough now you have a go". Lo and behold they managed to break us down as yet again we're not good enough to do it. The frustration is from Bowyer not learning from these mistakes, not the dropping of points. 
    I didnt see it as simple as that - We didnt go 2-1 up as a result of battering down the door like we did last Saturday against Wimbledon

Swindon were always a threat throughout the game - You're right we effectively said to Swindon that they were welcome to try and break us down, but at the same time whilst it was a cautious approach from Bowyer, even when it was 1-1 there was always a chance it could have gone 2-1 to Swindon instead of to us... Question is, how would we have reacted had Bowyer put Williams and Oshilaja on instead of Purrington / Matthews, with the same outcome? - Would we have questioned why we didnt go more defensive?... Hindsight is a beautiful advantage for the fans
  • Options
    we overwhelmed wimbledon because we had 5 of our best attacking players on at the same time - they couldn't mount attacks at us because they didn't have the ball - as i've said before - take gilby or jfc off, leave everything else the same and put williams on and we win that game by about 4 or 5 goals, same as last week 
  • Options
    and everybody knows it - that is why we are all seething 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Of course we're going to drop points but yesterday felt so unnecessary. By making those subs we effectively said to Swindon "we've done enough now you have a go". Lo and behold they managed to break us down as yet again we're not good enough to do it. The frustration is from Bowyer not learning from these mistakes, not the dropping of points. 
    I didnt see it as simple as that - We didnt go 2-1 up as a result of battering down the door like we did last Saturday against Wimbledon

Swindon were always a threat throughout the game - You're right we effectively said to Swindon that they were welcome to try and break us down, but at the same time whilst it was a cautious approach from Bowyer, even when it was 1-1 there was always a chance it could have gone 2-1 to Swindon instead of to us... Question is, how would we have reacted had Bowyer put Williams and Oshilaja on instead of Purrington / Matthews, with the same outcome? - Would we have questioned why we didnt go more defensive?... Hindsight is a beautiful advantage for the fans
    I never felt Swindon were much of a threat before the subs to be honest, felt we were in control.

It's not about hindsight mate, I was rolling my eyes at the subs at the time, as I'm sure a lot of others were. There was far too much time to go, you could see it coming. 
    Dont worry I was rolling my eyes too, I questioned Purrington for Forster-Caskey on the match thread myself - I couldnt see their goal coming though at that point and thats not the positive side of me talking... Amos had a lot of catching practice but wasnt being tested, whilst minutes before the goal, the ball was down in their half with Washington and others over passing amongst themselves when they should have gone to the bloody corner flag!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Why are the journalists too scared to ask LB why we brings two defenders on for midfielders and brings the pressure on. Has he got a God Complex?
    @LouisMend, @Ollywozere? ;)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    we overwhelmed wimbledon because we had 5 of our best attacking players on at the same time - they couldn't mount attacks at us because they didn't have the ball - as i've said before - take gilby or jfc off, leave everything else the same and put williams on and we win that game by about 4 or 5 goals, same as last week 
    I don’t think Williams is that much of a game changer. How many other games has he come on as sub and everyone has been moaning on here about him falling over and offering nothing?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I don’t think Williams is that much of a game changer. How many other games has he come on as sub and everyone has been moaning on here about him falling over and offering nothing?
    I think he's perfect if the opposition are sitting back, when he's got room to manouver and isnt under pressure, has the ability to squeeze through tight areas

He's less effective if the opposition can put him under pressure and dont foul him
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

In the last match against Wimbledon he was a game changer and did either stay on his feet or jump back up when fouled.
    Lee Bowyer got the response from Jonny last time out so why not give him 20 to 25 minutes to keep the momentum when 2-1 up ?  
  • Options
    I genuinely want teams to score early against us and for us to be losing at halftime then we have to go forward for the rest of the game. Once we are infront everyone knows 100% its negative substitutions and try to see the game out. We are not playing Barcalona are we ?? I'm no tactical expert but I do know this isnt the stated new playing philosophy of the owner. It better change or I think we will see changes unfortunately