Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    With no game midweek, we will have another long break. Ideally a few injured players will be closer to a return. It would be good to get Smyth, Morgan and Shinnie.

My concern is how bad we have looked in games following a week of training. 

Has Bogle done anything that Davison could not have while learning his trade in the first team?
    That's a very good question.  Or another player from the u23s, or any other professional footballer.  What ever position they are ment to play.

You really have to ask is he injured and Bowyer is patching him up to get him through until he feels its safe to bring on Chuks?  Is he just not doing what ever it is Bowyer is asking him to do?

I know a lot of players regularly get sub for the same player but not like this.  It's like Bogle's "job" is just make up the numbers until Chuks gets on. Every game. Whether it's half an hour, half time on just before the hour, you know it's coming, he must know its coming.

If Bowyer thinks he really is "that shit" then don't pick him.  If he isn't following team instructions don't pick him until he does.

You don't tell a player the first thing you do wrong after 30 minutes your off, even if you don't do anything wrong your only on a hour or you can be as shit as you like but your staying on for half an hour at least.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's not as bad as some are making out now, it wasn't as good last week as some made out then. 

We have still scored more goals and got more points than 2 years ago and I doubt we will loose our top scorer to the premier league this January. 

Cullen, Beilk and Aribo weren't Harvey, Kendall and Ball at this stage of the season.  Remember we are about 5 weeks behind in terms of games played. 

Every successful Charlton team I have seen, be that under Bowyer, Powell, Curbs or even the spell under Luzon, we played the same system and mainly the same players week in, week out. For the last 13 months we have chopped and changed personal and formation from game to game and even in games far far too often.  Yes we have had more than our fair share of injuries but even so. 

What really concerns me is on Saturday you had a back 7 including Matthews, Purrington, Gunter, Pratley, Pearce, Watson and Gilbey.  These aren't kids.  They have played 1000s of games.  They aren't offensive players like Maddison, Williams or Morgan who you could maybe excuse an defensive laps.  I have said it before but you have to question Pearce's ability to organise a rear guard action. 

Regardless of your opinion of Bogle you really do have to ask the question wtf is going on there.  If Bowyer thinks he just isn't good enough, or he isn't doing what Bowyer wants, fine don't play him until he is.  Unless we are actually patching him up to get 30-60 minutes out of him.  Of course there are other options to the status quo. 

Look at Bogle's goals on YouTube, yes it's at a lower level, but look at the way he controls the ball, runs with the ball, attacks the ball and strikes the ball.  At the moment he looks like he has never played football before, let alone convinced a Premier league manager to pay £1 million for him.  That's a mental problem, not a physical or talent one. 

Yes I was watching a video of Bogle banging in the goals for Grimsby this morning and he doesn’t look the same player. Scoring with both feet and headed goals too. Running with the ball into the box, scoring from inside the box and outside. This is how he is described on Wikipedia:  “He is known for his diversity in physical style of play, strength and holding the ball to bringing others into play.” That sounds more like Chuks than Bogle.
    4 years ago though

Nicky Ajose will also look great if you just see the highlights of that golden season at Swindon
    Yeah but he is 27, not 37.  Nicky Ajose scored his goals in mainly a very similar way.  But even Ajose looked like he had played football before. 

Watch the goals and then try and imagine the Bogle that is playing for us now striking the ball like that, running with the ball like that, attacking crosses like that.   You can't because it looks like a totally different player.

Either he is injured to some degree or is mentally shot because there can, in my opinion, be no other conclusion. 
  • Options
    Bowyer's management of Bogle is ridiculous, I agree
  • Options
    This month, after a decent run, we have gone back to the dark old days of conceding late, late goals .. to me this indicates a sudden drop in confidence, OR lack of fitness ?
  • Options
    This month, after a decent run, we have gone back to the dark old days of conceding late, late goals .. to me this indicates a sudden drop in confidence, OR lack of fitness ?
    No, Lincs ...... please don't get back on topic.: smile:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Bonne missed worse chances last year, and he's supposed to be a "proven championship" striker.

At least nobody could accuse Bogle of not trying his hardest. If anything he's trying too hard. 
    I've thought this too ..... Bogle's trying too hard, which is why he can at times lack composure or snatch at the ball.
    It's a mentality thing, he looks anxious, short of confidence.

He's no Prem player, but at this level he has enough ability. And you can't really doubt his movement and positioning; he's usually in the right place at the right time - even if does miss some clear chances, at least he's in position to miss them ...... (!)

Here's just one random example if what he's capable of:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq6iGpbXtkk&ab_channel=PortsmouthFC

In that clip, you can see he's playing with verve and gusto, including scoring some well taken goals.
    He's playing with the belief and confidence of being the main man. But he's not playing like that right now - he knows it, too.

• Options
    Sorry Oggy but I doubt his movement, mainly because there is hardly any movement.
    I've seen Sam Bartram's statue make better runs :smile:
  • Options
    Was it Ian Holloway who said that they swerved signing him because when they had him before he was playing with someone with the hunger and desire to get to the top and that was showing with his performances - Has he become one of these players who reached the Championship, felt they'd made it so didnt need to put the effort in so much anymore
  • Options
    Sorry Oggy but I doubt his movement, mainly because there is hardly any movement.
    Oh, I don't know ......  just the Swindon match, for example, he made a very good run to get himself in position going round the keeper, was fouled, but recovering just enough to score.

Then a couple of minutes later his movement was good to get himself in a clear goalscoring position, which he completely fluffed.
    A player has to be there, right place right time - and Bogle was, twice in 2 minutes. 

But there's no self-belief in his game right now. Which was my point before.

• Options
    He put some tweets out a while ago responding to people's criticism of him so is obviously someone who reads social media. Can only imagine the amount of nasty comments made on there so he'd be better served avoiding it imo. His first goal people still criticised saying he almost missed, now this latest one some seem to think it just hit him and went in. Wouldn't be surprising if he's very low on confidence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oh, I don't know ......  just the Swindon match, for example, he made a very good run to get himself in position going round the keeper, was fouled, but recovering just enough to score.

Then a couple of minutes later his movement was good to get himself in a clear goalscoring position, which he completely fluffed.
    A player has to be there, right place right time - and Bogle was, twice in 2 minutes. 

But there's no self-belief in his game right now. Which was my point before.

I agree, but can't recall many other instances in the last 3 months.
  • Options
    It is true that you can try too hard. And you can sort of sense that is happening with him. 
  • Options
    To me it's all very simple.  With Inniss and Famewo we are a promotion team. Without that combination, play offs at best. Hopefully Schwartz can produce the goals, Shinnie returns and Bowyer grows a pair. 
    Great summary!
  • Options
    Just posted in another thread, as was thinking why we were so deflated following Saturday.

In the last month we:

- Saw Pratters miss an open goal in the 90th minute which could have +1 point
    - Conceded a penalty to Shrewsbury in the 90th minute to -2 points
    - Conceded from a set piece to an awful Swindon team in the 90th minute to -2 points

That's 5 bloody points thrown in the space of 8 minutes of football? We know what the league table would look like otherwise.
  • Options
    edited December 2020