Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    The reality is we started the season with a half decent striker. I mean a decent striker that can play a half, that's it. There isn't another striker at the club. With our squad, add two /three decent strikers and we'd be smashing teams up, like last week, very often. The frustrating thing is, Bowyer is already talking down January so he knows that the striker situation is unlikely to change dramatically and midfield is similar. There is only slight wiggle room on our salary cap, so it matters not how much TS has or is willing to invest. Our purse strings are tied, like every other club in this frigging league. 

What I'm left asking is "Could another manager get more points out of our squad?"

Bowyer gets a lot of stock, rightly so, but could someone come in and do any better with the resources at hand. 

I ask this 

Do you think another manager would get more points with our squad?

Yes/No

I say no....
    i would get more out of this squad 
    My daughter would get more out of this squad. And she hates football.
  • Options
    Swindon were sitting there waiting to lose , another team of complete and utter tosh expecting a defeat but no the lamest of Charlton teams turn up and beg them to attack and then the inevitable .
    We’re all sitting there thinking oh shit they could easily equalise and it happens,  a cat funt with the same obese build as me plops in the goal .

Something is not right , I think we have the players to be playing a lot better , we aren’t performing to our max and are regressing as the season goes on , yes we have injuries but the players are decent enough to be beating most of the dross in this league and the failure in these recent games is pathetic.

in TS I trust

5%  Automatic promotion
    55%   Play offs 
    40% 7th-12th
    I hope you realise how genuinely amusing you are @oohaah and I'm not taking the piss.
    However shit I feel on a Sat evening, your post can always make me smile at the ridiculousness of being a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    The reality is we started the season with a half decent striker. I mean a decent striker that can play a half, that's it. There isn't another striker at the club. With our squad, add two /three decent strikers and we'd be smashing teams up, like last week, very often. The frustrating thing is, Bowyer is already talking down January so he knows that the striker situation is unlikely to change dramatically and midfield is similar. There is only slight wiggle room on our salary cap, so it matters not how much TS has or is willing to invest. Our purse strings are tied, like every other club in this frigging league. 

What I'm left asking is "Could another manager get more points out of our squad?"

Bowyer gets a lot of stock, rightly so, but could someone come in and do any better with the resources at hand. 

I ask this 

Yes/No

I say no....
    Are you saying Washington is not a striker? Absolute nonsense. 

And Bogle is a striker, just not always a very effective finisher. Took his goal quite well today (and then botched one, yes) - to say he isn't even a striker is ridiculous 
    Hahaha I assume that you have seen it & you actually think that falling over & the ball hitting his leg was taking his goal well ?
    I saw him nipping it round the goalie nicely, realising he was losing balance and putting it in hastily before he fell over. The ball didn't 'hit his leg' for fuck's sake
    To be fair, if it was Messi, we would be thinking how genius it was managing to score whilst falling over from a keeper trip. But to be honest, most of us was thinking that had the keeper not tripped him, he would have missed it.

Also, had he fallen over and not scored it would have been a penalty and sending off for their keeper :)
  • Options
    siblers said:
    Do people really want the club to go down the route of the owner telling the manager how to play? 

And yes I am getting a bit sick of Lee's negative tactics but for Thomas to be telling Lee to be more positive is a road we don't want to go down 
    If Bows took some accountability and mentioned he may have gone too defensive, then he's acknowledging such and connecting with the fans pain. He never admits his wrongs, so we are hoping TS smoothly illustrates his blueprint for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

I ask this 

Yes/No

I say no....

And Bogle is a striker, just not always a very effective finisher. Took his goal quite well today (and then botched one, yes) - to say he isn't even a striker is ridiculous 
    Hahaha I assume that you have seen it & you actually think that falling over & the ball hitting his leg was taking his goal well ?
    I saw him nipping it round the goalie nicely, realising he was losing balance and putting it in hastily before he fell over. The ball didn't 'hit his leg' for fuck's sake
    Even if it wasnt going in the Referee may well have given a penalty
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ok, I've calmed down a bit and am trying to give Bowyer the benefit of the doubt/play devil's advocate.

We only had 2 fit senior players, plus Levitt, not starting, who weren't defenders/goalie.
    Aneke, Williams & Levitt.

Aneke who can't play 90 mins came on for Bogle.

So if Maddison needed subbing if he can't play 90 mins and JFC needed subbing because he too struggles to play 90 mins and tbf I was screaming at the TV for him to be subbed, as he was poor.

Then the only options were Levitt who would possibly/probably be worse and although I would definitely have brought Williams on, no doubt, there was a possibility that the strong wind and rain may have snapped him in two.

I hope we can get in Schwarz and a couple of attacking midfielders, meaning that Bowyer won't need to choose between midfielders not good enough, made of glass or defenders. 
  • Options
    Just strange how he completely fluffed his lines from near the penalty spot, with his stronger foot. Not a good advert to take our pens!
  • Options
    Shocking substitutions. Getting used to it now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

I ask this 

Yes/No

I say no....

My take in this is as he stumbled to the ground his flailing foot happened to hit the ball and it went in. It looked totally accidental to me. As was proven by his later miss. Even his other goal he somehow managed to hit the post from about 6 yards, luckily it still went in.
  • Options
    When Curbs comes out & says the substitutions cost us then it just confirms what we’ve all been saying for ages now!  Lee just doesn’t seem to be able to learn & improve!   We go again....ffs! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    big boss isn't happy.
    Uh-oh
  • Options
    Spot on @golfaddick.

TS's tweet is clear that we all expected a win from the situation we are in. He has not had the pleasure of seeing us concede goals immediately after kicking off for the 2nd half aswell as + 90mins in the Championship.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Actually think it was a good finish considering he was falling. 

The keeper clearly fouled him. If Bogle hadn't scored, surely it would have been a stonewall penalty?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Morgan, Shinnie, Famewo, Inniss, Smyth and Doughty would make this team stronger but why invite pressure from a mediocre team who have got some lively forwards by conceding ground  when you know your first choice CB are missing ?

It was Shrewsbury revisited, Gillingham as well. 
    At HT on the match thread, it cried out for a pro active approach but why then give up territory  when 2-1 up ? 
    Personally I didn't need Curbs to tell me about Cafc losing their shape with two full backs coming on.  
    I was puzzled during the game and still don't understand as it handed Swindon a lifeline. Because we were 2-1 down against Wimbledon we focused on attack and getting at their defence and won 5-2 with Williams and Aneke excellent.

Why not Chuks and Williams to play 45 minutes ? Please don't say because it was raining ! Any momentum from the Dons match was lost straight away.

Both Gilbey and Bogle were good, bad and ugly. Most on CL only see their bad play.
    Would either be in my starting 11; No way but Gilbey has got good feet as he proved out wide in 2nd half but he is so erratic with his passing.

Morgan is our best midfielder this season despite his ugly kick at the ball against Shrewsbury. Shinnie and Watson have been decent most weeks. Give Maddison 90 minutes and get him and Aneke to punish the Robins defence which had more holes than a collendar.

We hadn't played for a week, and we gave Swindon too much respect. This is becoming a habit against the bottom teams.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Where has the exciting football we played under Bows in the promotion season? We went forwards for fun and always looked like we might score. Last season has really eroded his tactical confidence to the point I’m worrying he might not be here past February if we keep this up 
    I think that he stocked his dynamite in his leaky shed. 
  • Options
    Can we all stop saying when we get some quality signings in Jan  LB has said already we are not going to do much because of the salary cap..so it's the squad we have now will finish the season...wherever we like it or not we have Bogle,Washington and Aneke for the rest of the season..
    TS dropped a big hint at the museum that we may be getting Schwartz.