Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    Love bowyer but his fault we dropped points.. not for first time his substitutions have been wrong.. Swindon are sh1t and was there for the taking 
  • Options
     Bogle and gilbey ! Why?
    Because we were scraping the barrel at the start of the season but why the worst striker I think I've ever seen is starting instead of one of the best in the division you'll need to ask Lee Bowyer.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Where has the exciting football we played under Bows in the promotion season? We went forwards for fun and always looked like we might score. Last season has really eroded his tactical confidence to the point I’m worrying he might not be here past February if we keep this up 
    I can't help thinking that the relegation and long injury list last season has damaged him.
  • Options
    all teams in L1 miss chances that's why they are in L1, Bowyer frequently bemoans missed chances but if a team surrenders two thirds of the pitch to the opposition there is always a chance that even a L1 club will score.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    We’re all new that goal was coming excited bowyer game was calling for j w not a norther defender 
    Excuse me ? Is English your first language ?
  • Options
     Bogle and gilbey ! Why?
    Because we were scraping the barrel at the start of the season but why the worst striker I think I've ever seen is starting instead of one of the best in the division you'll need to ask Lee Bowyer.
    To be fair Gilbey was our first signing of the season

Bogle on the other hand was Schwartz staying put and the Salary Cap hindering us
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    wmcf123 said:
    This isn’t a promotion side because of our forwards.  No criticism aimed at them or the management team, who were doing last minute shopping on a shoe string . 
    Don't buy that. It's not a striker that has cost points against Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Swindon. 
    If Bogle put away that sitter may have been a different result
    Bogle miss didn't matter. We went 2-1 up later on. If Bogle had scored to make it 2-1 I expect the result would have been the same. 
    Who know how the result would have been affected had Bogle scored 
    with that open goal chance and made it 2-1, Bowyer would have made
    changes earlier, and we would have lost, terrible decision making which
    has clearly cost us a great chance of top 3  :/
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Where has the exciting football we played under Bows in the promotion season? We went forwards for fun and always looked like we might score. Last season has really eroded his tactical confidence to the point I’m worrying he might not be here past February if we keep this up 
    If we keep this up I'm worried he will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those saying it is Bogles fault because me missed that great chance in the first half, personally I thank him, if he had scored that and put us 2-1 up after 37 mins played LB would have brought the extra defenders on before halftime and I would had had to endure the pain of watching us trying to defend for the whole 2nd half plus with an entire half to play Swindon would have had time to score more goals and beat us. 

No excuses for today Lee be man enough to realise this tactic just doesnt work mate your not Mourinho 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    i know he had a game or two earlier on in the season where some said he did well which unfortunately for him i didn't see but what I have seen of Gilbey i'm not convinced that he's actually a footballer. 
    To my eyes, Gilbey was poor before his injury. This is just more of the same. And Bogle definitely isn’t a footballer. Very poor.
    Gilbey has been shit since he signed.
    Bit unfair. In the opening 2 games of the season he played well. Remember his great run and pass to doughty for the first goal at crewe?

But since he's come back from injury I totally agree.
    Does he even suit playing in a diamond, especially when we played those two games in a 4-3-3 formation

Is he better passing the ball to someone with pace

e.g. that Doughty ball when someone can get on the end of it even if it is slightly over hit, unlike Aneke today?
    Good point - we were playing a different formation in those two games and maybe Gilbey is much better suited to a 4-3-3.

He certainly looks lost on the left of a diamond.

Bowyer constantly changing the formation is something else that is also really beginning to annoy me as well. Sure we don't want to go down the Karl Robinson route of always playing the same way but constant changing can't provide any consistency.
  • Options
    Saying the obvious

So we finished that game with as a shape

Amos

Purrington Pearce Pratters Gunter Matthews

Marttson     Watson       Gilbey

Washington        Aneke 

On paper that looks Ok but today that was never going to work and we all knew it for 20 minutes we gave up mid field and let a very poor team dominate.

who was gonna link the front two

if Bow had settled for 1 - 2 why did we still have a front two?

Gilbey looked better but knackered again
    Martson looked confused (not surprised)
    Watson had a good game 
    Williams ????????????????    

I’m worried he’s lost the plot
  • Options
    Yet again we let a shit team steal points off us in the 
    last minute or so, just like Shrewsbury, Burton etc.
    i am not as disappointed at Bowyer as many of my fellow fans are, but I do question his final changes late in the Game, as pointed out by Curbs on valley pass with Scot Minto.
    what is painfully obvious is Since Ryan Innes has been out of the squad he have struggled with shite teams especially in defence, and we still desperately need a Proper Striker.
    we should have won today by at least two goals, and we do miss chances as much as we throw away valuable points.
    todays team has to improve as we are struggling to stay in the top Six, we Could be top but for all the wasted points.
    its time for some more investment from Thomas 👍👍
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    i am not as disappointed at Bowyer as many of my fellow fans are, but I do question his final changes late in the Game, as pointed out by Curbs on valley pass with Scot Minto.
    what is painfully obvious is Since Ryan Innes has been out of the squad he have struggled with shite teams especially in defence, and we still desperately need a Proper Striker.
    we should have won today by at least two goals, and we do miss chances as much as we throw away valuable points.
    todays team has to improve as we are struggling to stay in the top Six, we Could be top but for all the wasted points.
    Yes ofcourse that's the answer get TS to pile a load of money in and buy better players. Although not much point if they are taken off and replaced with defenders is it, they cant do alot from the bench
  • Options
    Everytime I start to come to terms with the new tiers for Christmas, I remember we conceded ANOTHER last minute goal.

Seething
  • Options

With only a mainly bargain basement squad to select from, each game is problematic.

What the hell? No. No. No. Nonsense. Garbage. This is a very good L1 squad.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Yes ofcourse that's the answer get TS to pile a load of money in and buy better players. Although not much point if they are taken off and replaced with defenders is it, they cant do alot from the bench
        Not quite,
       One good striker and two of our injured defenders
        Back and we could still get promotion.
        We were a very good with Ryan Innes in defence   
        And went on a superb run.
        If we want promotion we need a proper striker
        and a consistent defence 👍👍👍
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I have faith in the ability within the squad for the level. It is as clear as our noses on our faces that Bowyer has transformed himself into the most negative manager imaginable from a pretty positive front foot one. We can speculate as to why, but if anybody wants to say this isn't the case they need to plan a drive to Barnard Castle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can more easily accept a draw after playing attacking football for a win, than I can a draw after defending a lead (especially for 25 minutes!).
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Why aren't any testing or interesting questions posed to Bowyer after the game? Are they likely to be asked on Monday?

Reality is, we are a very inconsistent team who attack when are losing, or turn a game into a dire defensive one when ahead. That's had this strange consequence of me not knowing my preference during a game!

BTW, why was there so much arrogance from within the club that Tuesday's postponement led to us missing out on 3 points and being 2nd in the league! Fast forward 4 days, and from scoring 5, our wheels came off so badly that we could not beat a team who have lost 4 on the bounce. 
  • Options
    I have faith in the ability within the squad for the level. It is as clear as our noses on our faces that Bowyer has transformed himself into the most negative manager imaginable from a pretty positive front foot one. We can speculate as to why, but if anybody wants to say this isn't the case they need to plan a drive to Barnard Castle.
        Why don’t we all ask him ?
        I wonder if Thomas thinks like you do ?
  • Options
    Following the Fleetwood game and our 6th win on the bounce and looking at the fixtures to come. I really thought that we should be able to cement a place in the top two. This is what we actually ended up with:

Gillingham (13th) - draw
    Burton (24th) - lost
    Ipswich (6th) - won
    M K Dons (17th) - lost
    Shrewsbury (21st) - draw
    AFC Wimbledon (15th) - won
    Swindon (22nd) - draw

We beat an Ipswich side that have lost 7 of their last 14 matches and Wimbledon because LB was forced into a situation where he had to throw all our attacking options on. We picked up two points from games against three of the bottom four.

LB was lulled into a false sense of security by our winning run which was based around a defence that did not concede. This attitude dates back to when we came out of lockdown and we secured those two wins to nil. He believes that we should be able to continue to do this and is, therefore, unwilling to trade blows with the opposition no matter how weak they are.

We've accused far lesser Managers of only playing one way. LB is doing little to change the perception that he is destined to join them.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Chunes said:
    FFS, if he really thinks that someone has to take him aside and have a word with him. 
    Problem is the only journo's out there asking questions are those who want to keep LB sweet so he'll give them a morsel of news when we are about to sign someone or suchlike. They won't want to.ask him difficult or uneasy questions.

What you need in someone who's more neutral & will just ask him straight out. 
  • Options
    Didn’t watch any of the match, but I’ve got my absolute on us to finish top 6. Why aren’t we finishing matches off when we are winning with seconds to go.
  • Options
    No one else to blame Lee, but yourself. You cannot give up midfield the way you did, absolutely crazy man.
  • Options
    On the highlights for the chance that Bogle spurned, look at the run of Maddison, pointing where he wants the ball from Watson, the chest control and first time whip into an area that is a strikers dream. That was excellent. 

We heard that he's a strikers dream and gets them moves to clubs. But let's not underestimate these strikers knew how to shoot on sight!