Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    He just doesn’t learn

Out of curiosity how many late goals have we scored ourselves? - Sunderland in the Play-Off Final is obviously one
    I'd be interested in how many late goals we've scored when already leading, like against Wimbledon. Obviously we will be attacking if we're behind in games or often when drawing. 
  • Options
    I popped in and out of the match thread, saw the subs on the Beeb link and you don't not need to be a genious to work out that Swindon would go forward and equalise! Poor, poor substitutions from Bowyer, will he ever learn???
  • Options
    However you dress it up. If you give professional footballers time and space by sitting back for 20 minutes and absorbing the pressure, you're going to concede. It's just a no brainer. It's just a time thing but if you do it for long enough they'll score. And that's what's happening. I'm surprised that Lee expects more from his team. This is just common sense.
    It's alright sitting back but you must still have an outlet up field to relieve the pressure and keep the opposition honest. And we just didn't have that for the final 20. Even I can see that. 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    J BLOCK said:
    He just doesn’t learn

I hope you at least liked my tweet 😉
    I did ;) 
  • Options
    Bowyer and Boris can both do one.

Terrible subs cost us again, so defensive when we should have been taking the game to them.

Just so disappointing we cant defend when teams throw everything at us.
    The tragedy is. If they did a job swap it wouldn't make any difference. 
  • Options

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    wmcf123 said:
    This isn’t a promotion side because of our forwards.  No criticism aimed at them or the management team, who were doing last minute shopping on a shoe string . 
    Don't buy that. It's not a striker that has cost points against Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Swindon. 
    If Bogle put away that sitter may have been a different result
    Different in what respect? With us being a goal up would it have stopped Bows going defensive for 25 minutes, when we were comfortable, and finishing the game with 6 defenders on the pitch.

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    What the hell is wrong with us that we seem unable to put a string of decent performances together? Why do we struggle so much to impose ourselves on inferior teams? For sure, tactics were again suspect. Instead of knocking it around we kept looking for the long ball and instead of going for their throats we sought to manage the game out much too early. How on earth, if we have serious promotion pretensions and against a team that’s been struggling, do we end up with six defenders on the pitch?
    Credit to Ben Watson who had a very good game, and Pratley was his usual combative self, but everyone else was bang average at best.
    Most definitely two more points dropped. Just hope all these missed opportunities don't come back and bite us at the end of the season. Nowhere near good enough.

there's strong link between when we have our best players on the pitch at the same time and when we play well, as opposed to 8 defenders - its that simple
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just over 1/3rd or just under 1/2 the season gone and I have no idea what our best XI and playing style is.

Started today with a long ball as seemingly the plan. Only when we got it on the deck did we look like doing anything.

Can’t keep slipping up against these poor-form / low table teams and expect to get away with it. Would take play-offs at this stage.
  • Options
    Great opportunity to go third with games in hand on the leaders wasted again. Soon as the linesman's extra time board starts to get ready, we go to pieces.

Met a couple of Pompey mates on my way home from work this morning who are adamant we will win this league. They said they are playing crap but keep winning.

Would have been 5th had we won.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    At least Watson finally looked a class above. Only taken him two months 😉
    how the fuck can he be class when he constantly passes to the opposition when he tries to play forward
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    J BLOCK said:
    He just doesn’t learn

Out of curiosity how many late goals have we scored ourselves? - Sunderland in the Play-Off Final is obviously one
    QPR away and Wigan at home 

I don’t count WBA away as that was in the 90 mins 
    In which case there are seven games mentioned in that list that cant be counted either?
    I thought we equalised in like the 89th?  

What I mean is, that Brentford game I wouldn’t count, but the rest are unacceptable.  Maybe you say of those games it can happen 3 times maximum.  I would love to know if any other team comes near to this over the last year or so 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    At least Watson finally looked a class above. Only taken him two months 😉
    how the fuck can he be class when he constantly passes to the opposition when he tries to play forward
    Have a look at his pass heat map thing when that's released, you will see this is not the case. 
  • Options
    Great opportunity to go third with games in hand on the leaders wasted again. Soon as the linesman's extra time board starts to get ready, we go to pieces.

Met a couple of Pompey mates on my way home from work this morning who are adamant we will win this league. They said they are playing crap but keep winning.

Would have been 5th had we won.
    That's ok then... genius from Bowyer!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    wmcf123 said:
    This isn’t a promotion side because of our forwards.  No criticism aimed at them or the management team, who were doing last minute shopping on a shoe string . 
    Don't buy that. It's not a striker that has cost points against Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Swindon. 
    It is - with a good striker , we’d be killing teams off .  We are missing our two best central halves . 

I only go back to 93, but our promotion sides have all had a striker of substance 
  • Options
    We had two 'good strikers' on for the entire second half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    We had two 'good strikers' on for the entire second half
    (and they combined to score)
  • Options
    Its not all bad news, we are a point ahead of Accrington Stanley but they do have a game in hand.
    That sentence really hammers home the level that our club is at these days!
  • Options
    Has Bows ducked out of the post match conference?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    It is - with a good striker , we’d be killing teams off .  We are missing our two best central halves . 

I only go back to 93, but our promotion sides have all had a striker of substance 
    We could have killed Swindon off, we were comfortable, but Bows didn't give us a chance when we arguable had the best striker in the division on the pitch.

Do you think the game would have played out the way it did if Bows didn't change to a defensive formation, and made the subs he did? 
  • Options
    It's not just the substitutions and the last obviously negative mindset in the last twenty minutes, there's a lack of creative intention from the first whistle. We are set up to defend and attack on the break but we don''t have the players on the field who are capable of attacking. The midfield, when not being missed out with long balls over the top, simply don't have the nous or skill to play passes for our forwards to run on to and the forwards haven't the nous or skill to find space. This mindset must come from Bowyer.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    He just doesn’t learn

TBH I think teams know our record with conceding late and aim to grab some kind of a set piece when injury time hits.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

We could have killed Swindon off, we were comfortable, but Bows didn't give us a chance when we arguable had the best striker in the division on the pitch.

Do you think the game would have played out the way it did if Bows didn't change to a defensive formation, and made the subs he did? 
    I didn’t disagree with you - I was making a more general point