Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Swindon v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    A draw is a draw .
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    We had two 'good strikers' on for the entire second half
    (and they combined to score)
    I discount Aneke but the guy is made of glass.  Do you really think they are promotion strikers ? Any of them ? 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Has Bows ducked out of the post match conference?
    A weird silence after the game, nothing 40 minutes later
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Its not all bad news, we are a point ahead of Accrington Stanley but they do have a game in hand.
    That sentence really hammers home the level that our club is at these days!
    Exactly, yet many believe we are going to walk this league and the good ship promotion is set to sail. Play offs if we are lucky at the rate we are dropping points against the poor sides.
  • Options
    I didn’t think it was that bad. Did enough to win it. Got caught out by a freak looping header. We need to take our chances, Bogle
    really should have scored his tap in. Gilbey completely anonymous again. I think Bows would point to injuries to Mcinniss and Famewo (we are still playing with only one centre half who is just back from injury himself) and Shinnie and Morgan out too who you would imagine would be in the starting line up.
  • Options
    A draw is a draw .
    Very profound.
  • Options
    I've never been one calling for Bowyers head, but today I'm dumbstruck. We had the game won at 2-1, then we make defensive subs with 25 minutes or so to go! Williams, as many have said, should have come on, and maybe take Gilbey off or even Maartson (only for a tactical change). He would have ran at them and stopped them throwing men forward and made them think about keeping people back to defend against us, instead we invited pressure on and as soon as Pitman came on I said to myself he will score, he didnt prove me wrong...sadly.
    People are rightly annoyed this evening, I am as well, but I would ask, if you get rid of LB now, who would you have to replace him, Bilic wont drop to this level, Cowley's brand of football didn't work at his last club and that leave who...that'll do a job of getting us promoted this season. I say, obviously I may be in a minority here, give Bowyer until the end of the Jan transfer window, see who he brings in and if that changes his set-up! Things last week were good, today there not so good, but I have to say Bowyer needs to admit that today he got it wrong!
    I agree with your comments,give it till the end of January to see where we are at, We all know the players talk among themselves and am sure the topic is " if I screw up out there LB is going to punish me" this plays in players minds and as a result the team spirit can get deflated in a heartbeat both off and on the pitch.I could be totally wrong but time and remaining games can run out fast so like you said let's see where were at in January with Innis back it might be a whole new team, Still think Curbs is lurking in the background itching to get back into hands on Managing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    This isn’t a promotion side because of our forwards.  No criticism aimed at them or the management team, who were doing last minute shopping on a shoe string . 
    Don't buy that. It's not a striker that has cost points against Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Swindon. 
    It is - with a good striker , we’d be killing teams off .  We are missing our two best central halves . 

I only go back to 93, but our promotion sides have all had a striker of substance 
    We could have killed Swindon off, we were comfortable, but Bows didn't give us a chance when we arguable had the best striker in the division on the pitch.

Do you think the game would have played out the way it did if Bows didn't change to a defensive formation, and made the subs he did? 
    I didn’t disagree with you - I was making a more general point 
    For me personally, we are not where we are in the league because of a lack of striker killing off games. We are were we are because of poor tactical decisions, and to be fair what would be our two first choice CBs out.

There's no way we are holding onto games with Innis and Famewo and wouldnt shouldn't try when we don't need to. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Now I've calmed down a bit (hit the vape) I'm a little more sanguine. The result wasn't great but it wasn't a disaster. We've got reinforcements coming in January and it was only last week we put put 5 away and everyone was talking about pissing the league. With better options off the bench I'm confident we'll see more positive substitutions going forward. Still 100% support.
  • Options
    It's a true snakes and ladders season. Emotionally it's a train wreck, followed by a lotto win and repeat. 
  • Options
    A draw is a draw .
    Thanks Lee
  • Options
    I will kindly ask if someone more statistically minded than me can check how many games, since the play off final, that we have conceded first & not been able to turn it around to win. 

I think its 33 games. Of those there are a few that we got a draw - noticeabley the away draws at WBA & QPR, and also the home draw to WBA  (all 2-2). Last week we turned a deficit into a win for the first time since last Boxing Day (where we beat Bristol City 3-2 after being 2-1 down) but that again was from 2-1 after taking the lead.

Would be interesting to see as I don't think there are many teams that have gone a season and a half of once conceding first can't get a win. 
  • Options
    Usually you can point the blame at certain players. Today it's all on Lee.
  • Options
    Bowyer is cutting off his nose to spite his face in trying to prove that he knows how to manage Williams correctly, whilst everyone else doesn't !
    He would have been full of confidence and buzzing after last week's performance and he alone would have relived 50% or more of the Swindon pressure in the last 15 minutes.
    But Bowyer had to try to prove that we didn't need him. He was wrong, again!
    Bowyer needs to stop being so stubborn and so negative.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw is a draw .
    Good point
  • Options
    i know he had a game or two earlier on in the season where some said he did well which unfortunately for him i didn't see but what I have seen of Gilbey i'm not convinced that he's actually a footballer. 
  • Options
    I've never been one calling for Bowyers head, but today I'm dumbstruck. We had the game won at 2-1, then we make defensive subs with 25 minutes or so to go! Williams, as many have said, should have come on, and maybe take Gilbey off or even Maartson (only for a tactical change). He would have ran at them and stopped them throwing men forward and made them think about keeping people back to defend against us, instead we invited pressure on and as soon as Pitman came on I said to myself he will score, he didnt prove me wrong...sadly.
    People are rightly annoyed this evening, I am as well, but I would ask, if you get rid of LB now, who would you have to replace him, Bilic wont drop to this level, Cowley's brand of football didn't work at his last club and that leave who...that'll do a job of getting us promoted this season. I say, obviously I may be in a minority here, give Bowyer until the end of the Jan transfer window, see who he brings in and if that changes his set-up! Things last week were good, today there not so good, but I have to say Bowyer needs to admit that today he got it wrong!
    Curbs. And I'm only half joking.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    FFS, if he really thinks that someone has to take him aside and have a word with him. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    wmcf123 said:
    This isn’t a promotion side because of our forwards.  No criticism aimed at them or the management team, who were doing last minute shopping on a shoe string . 
    Don't buy that. It's not a striker that has cost points against Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Swindon. 
    If Bogle put away that sitter may have been a different result
    Bogle miss didn't matter. We went 2-1 up later on. If Bogle had scored to make it 2-1 I expect the result would have been the same. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Has Bows ducked out of the post match conference?
    A weird silence after the game, nothing 40 minutes later
    If he's ripped the players off in the dressing room after that, he really will be on dangerous ground soon.

He must be making more than a few enemies now with some of his decisions.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    wmcf123 said:
    If Bogle put away that sitter may have been a different result
    Bogle miss didn't matter. We went 2-1 up later on. If Bogle had scored to make it 2-1 I expect the result would have been the same. 
    Who knows... Aneke probably would have replaced him on 60mins rather than straight on HT, scores a minute later
  • Options
    Even if Bowyer held his hands up & said OK it was my fault I made the wrong subs & wrong tactics would you bet against him doing exactly the same thing in our next game ?