Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Interesting to see Jofra Archer back in the Sussex side tonight at Canterbury. Didn't expect him back this soon and will give some selection dillemas. 
    Not a bad Sussex bowling attack with the likes of Archer, Robinson and Rashid Khan in it!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    So, who drops out of the batting line up when Stokes and Morgan are available too? 

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 
    Nice for the selectors to have a problem 
    Malan and Tom Curran go. Malan because he is such a slow starter and chews up balls early - in 8 of his last 10 innings he has scored the combined total of 21 runs off 49 balls. None of the other batsmen in the frame need that sort of platform. Livingstone bowls too and offers us a 3rd spin option.

If the T20 WC was right now and everyone was fit then this would be my team (batting order to be decided upon):

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Decent side. I wouldn't play 7 bowlers but then I do get if you have Stokes/Wood, you're looking for that 4th seamer to double up as the 2nd death bowler with Archer. Stokes can do it although is probably scarred from 'that' final over. I'd still swap Jordan for Malan. 

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

Billings, Jordan, Woakes and Parkinson the other four in the squad. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    So, who drops out of the batting line up when Stokes and Morgan are available too? 

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 
    Malan and Tom Curran go. Malan because he is such a slow starter and chews up balls early - in 8 of his last 10 innings he has scored the combined total of 21 runs off 49 balls. None of the other batsmen in the frame need that sort of platform. Livingstone bowls too and offers us a 3rd spin option.

If the T20 WC was right now and everyone was fit then this would be my team (batting order to be decided upon):

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Decent side. I wouldn't play 7 bowlers but then I do get if you have Stokes/Wood, you're looking for that 4th seamer to double up as the 2nd death bowler with Archer. Stokes can do it although is probably scarred from 'that' final over. I'd still swap Jordan for Malan. 

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

We will never go into a T20 with just 3 seam options especially as you run the risk of one of them breaking down. Jordan is one of  the best death bowlers in the world. And bringing in Malan for Jordan means that, effectively, one of Stokes, Morgan and Bairstow will have to bat at 7.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

We will never go into a T20 with just 3 seam options especially as you run the risk of one of them breaking down. Jordan is one of  the best death bowlers in the world. And bringing in Malan for Jordan means that, effectively, one of Stokes, Morgan and Bairstow will have to bat at 7.
    I don't think 3 seamers is unrealistic in Asia, completely agree we wouldn't do it elsewhere. If one breaks down you've still got 5 bowling options plus Malan. And yes, I'd play Morgan at 7, still feel he's a great captain but not in form and would have him at finishing at 7. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

I don't think 3 seamers is unrealistic in Asia, completely agree we wouldn't do it elsewhere. If one breaks down you've still got 5 bowling options plus Malan. And yes, I'd play Morgan at 7, still feel he's a great captain but not in form and would have him at finishing at 7. 
    The WC is in the UAE now and it might not be as spin friendly as India. And if Morgan is out of form then so is Malan. 9 failures in his last 11 innings and as I say chewing up 49 balls to score 21 runs in the process doesn't lie. Jordan is sought round the world for his death bowling including the IPL. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

The WC is in the UAE now and it might not be as spin friendly as India. And if Morgan is out of form then so is Malan. 9 failures in his last 11 innings and as I say chewing up 49 balls to score 21 runs in the process doesn't lie. Jordan is sought round the world for his death bowling including the IPL. 
    Agree about Malan, but he's been in superb form for the last couple of years, and personally I like the idea of someone playing his sort of innings at 3, with the bigger hitters around him. I presume he will no longer be number 1 in the world but still England's top rated T20 batsman.

Jordan's record is worse in Asia, in fact he's never taken a wicket in the UAE. Yes he has been picked up a few times by teams in the IPL, but only had one decent game in his first stint and was released. Then only played once for Kolkata. Last year he did ok, couple of awful games and a couple of really good ones. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Why full capacity at the T20 at Headingly today where cases are high yet reduced capacity at Lords on Friday?
    I suspect it is being treated as a test event. Lords had one for the ODI so spreading them  around
    Seems a poor choice though, considering the rates. Can see why it would have originally been chosen due to demographics but current rates should take precedence.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    watched y'day's 20/20 v Pakistan on the BBC .. such a pleasant change from Sky .. Vaughan has become a decent commentator, no ads, no over the top punditry/commentary ..  Isa Guha is WELL worth watching and listening to, as is James Anderson .. Andy Saltzman presents his stats in an entertaining and informative way.
    The team ?  Bairstow despite great fielding still underperforms as all too often does Roy .. the pace bowling was excellent and the spinners a revelation (what a catch by Rashid !!) .. Moeen Ali ? .. some may say he is still worth his place, I disagree, a score in the 30s is ostensibly good, it was certainly entertaining, but not enough for a number 4 .. admittedly his bowling on the day was good .. for me his place in the squad is certainly not cemented in ..  Livingstone (Dr I presume) is a batsman I have long admired though he has taken a while to really come to the party, his recent performances should keep him in the team .. I type 'should' as English selection choices are all too often mysterious and hard to fathom
  • Options
    Hate watching Malan bat for us. So many dot balls. 
  • Options
    Building up to a tight game. Pakistan's spin bowling is doing its job with some quick wickets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oops butterfingers
  • Options
    Morgan out...  Why sky one? We could have run these last runs
  • Options
    Under pressure….
  • Options
    Whoop 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Morgan out...  Why sky one? We could have run these last runs
    Harsh to blame Sky TV for that shot  ;)
  • Options
    Win it with inside edges, not slogs!
  • Options
    That was exciting! Enjoyed that
  • Options
    That was one of the ugliest, yet most entertaining T20s I’ve seen. Jason Roy on form is a special player.
  • Options
    What a great game of cricket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    That was one of the ugliest, yet most entertaining T20s I’ve seen. Jason Roy on form is a special player.
    God like in my opinion 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    You know what, I think he was brilliant today, but he's far from being on form. We're going to annihilate teams when he is. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If Roy and Buttler got going in the same team we could become the first team to get 300!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chizz said:

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

Agree about Malan, but he's been in superb form for the last couple of years, and personally I like the idea of someone playing his sort of innings at 3, with the bigger hitters around him. I presume he will no longer be number 1 in the world but still England's top rated T20 batsman.

Jordan's record is worse in Asia, in fact he's never taken a wicket in the UAE. Yes he has been picked up a few times by teams in the IPL, but only had one decent game in his first stint and was released. Then only played once for Kolkata. Last year he did ok, couple of awful games and a couple of really good ones. 
    I think we saw yesterday what Jordan does for us. On a spinner's wicket, his two death overs that went for just 15 runs. He's also our best fielder and scored the winning runs with 4 off the 2 balls he faced.

Malan, meanwhile, let 4 runs through on the boundary, can't bowl and scored 31 off 33 putting pressure on each and every batsman coming in - he then got out before kicking on. His attitude to T20 batting is also reflected by his 11 international innings this year in averaging 26.80 at a strike rate of 114.53 and also his T20 Blast average this season of 10.25 at a strike rate of 105.12. He really does not justify his place in the side. 

There is no comparison between having Malan or Jordan in the team and with three spin options in Rashid, Moeen and Livingstone, real pace in the shape of Wood and Archer and Jordan bowling his cutters (plus Stokes if we need him) that really would give us a balanced bowling attack. Buttler, Roy, Bairstow and Morgan make up the balance of the side if the T20 WC were to start today.
  • Options
    I think we need Livingstone, batting higher than 7.  was nice to see Moeen bowling well again, I agree Malan should go.
  • Options
    17 man squad announced for 1st Test against India:

Joe Root (Yorkshire) Captain
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
    Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Dom Bess (Yorkshire)
    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    Rory Burns (Surrey)
    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
    Zak Crawley (Kent)
    Sam Curran (Surrey)
    Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire)
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Jack Leach (Somerset)
    Ollie Pope (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
    Dom Sibley (Warwickshire)
    Ben Stokes (Durham)
    Mark Wood (Durham)
  • Options
    It's much easier narrowing down the Test squad into a team than it is the T20 squad.  I have managed to whittle the Test team down to 13 or 14 already.  I can't get lower than about 16 in the T20 team.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, my XI would be:

Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire)
    Rory Burns (Surrey)
    Ollie Pope (Surrey)
    Joe Root (Yorkshire) Captain
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Ben Stokes (Durham)
    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
    Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
    Jack Leach (Somerset)
    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)

• Options
    Chizz said:

Roy and Bairstow? 
    It's a tricky one. 

Buttler
    Roy
    Livingston (b)
    Bairstow
    Morgan
    Stokes (b)
    Moeen (b)
    Jordan (b)
    Rashid (b)
    Archer (b)
    Wood (b)

Roy
    Buttler
    Malan
    Livingstone
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Morgan
    Ali
    Rashid
    Archer
    Wood

I think we saw yesterday what Jordan does for us. On a spinner's wicket, his two death overs that went for just 15 runs. He's also our best fielder and scored the winning runs with 4 off the 2 balls he faced.

Malan, meanwhile, let 4 runs through on the boundary, can't bowl and scored 31 off 33 putting pressure on each and every batsman coming in - he then got out before kicking on. His attitude to T20 batting is also reflected by his 11 international innings this year in averaging 26.80 at a strike rate of 114.53 and also his T20 Blast average this season of 10.25 at a strike rate of 105.12. He really does not justify his place in the side. 

There is no comparison between having Malan or Jordan in the team and with three spin options in Rashid, Moeen and Livingstone, real pace in the shape of Wood and Archer and Jordan bowling his cutters (plus Stokes if we need him) that really would give us a balanced bowling attack. Buttler, Roy, Bairstow and Morgan make up the balance of the side if the T20 WC were to start today.
    That's just fitting your agenda though re Malan. His strike rate was almost identical to Buttler's, but Malan scored more runs. His strike rate was better than Bairstow and Ali who failed to reach double figures. I actually think yesterday was exactly the sort of game that Malan or someone like Root is absolutely perfect for. The pressure came because so many batsman around him failed. If Bairstow or Ali had played a little knock we would have won very comfortably. I'm certainly not defending him over his form, and I can completely understand dropping him over that. If we are chasing 180, he could be a liability, but chasing 140 you don't want the top 4 out trying to smash 6's and find yourself 40-4. 

You can have your opinion on Jordan, that's fine. I think he's a decent bowler but for me, doesn't make the side. We'll agree to disagree, I can live with that. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It's much easier narrowing down the Test squad into a team than it is the T20 squad.  I have managed to whittle the Test team down to 13 or 14 already.  I can't get lower than about 16 in the T20 team.
    It really is so tight, the fact that Joe Root isn't even in consideration shows the quality we have.