Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Plymouth | Boxing Day 2020

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Watching the game on Saturday, we do seem to be getting into the "game of two halves" scenario with boring repetition, unlike whatever opposition we are playing, they always seem to have the drop on us from kick off, and i do wonder how much attention to detail is taken into how the opposition play.
    Bowyer does seem to talk a good game in the pre match, but does he really know what to expect when the game gets going, seems not, and he needs the first half as a warm and by the time he actually gets there we are invariably playing catch up, can't keep blaming bad luck or the ref Bow.
  • Options
    Just listening to Dean Smith the Villa manager and he tries to plays the same team all the time. John Mcginn has played every game this season and played two games in 48 hrs and was superb today.

Watson, Pratley and Gunter the three senior players over 30 play most games.

Why don't more of our players have every ready batteries ?
  • Options
    Just listening to Dean Smith the Villa manager and he tries to plays the same team all the time. John Mcginn has played every game this season and played two games in 48 hrs and was superb today.

No need to look further than no pre-season. It is then that you fully charge the battery.
  • Options

One of a few reasons why McGinn plays in the PL and our players currently don’t. If more of our players had that kind of fitness they wouldn’t be in a league 1 squad. 
  • Options

They do. All of them, except Aneke ..... and he played 80 minutes in the last game.

Even Williams. He's fit enough to play 90, at least every other game.

Nope, it's the manager's thinking ..... his strategy is 'horses for courses' and keep certain players fresh to maintain energy levels.

• Options
    Talal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I go back to what the player said a few weeks ago (he played today):

"We never discuss or practice tactics" 
    Missed it, which player? 
    J BLOCK you're being an absolute WUM in my opinion. It's clear that we practice and discuss tactics, there's been many a post and pre match interview where a Bowyer has discussed certain things he has seen about the opposition team and we have worked on.

Problem is at the moment is Bowyer is getting the tactics wrong, half after half after half. 
    Also, it must be bloody hard to practice tactics when you have a game every 2-3 days, home and away
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Other than FA, i think those who are blindly backing bowyer are employing the 'If you don't have anything good to say, say nothing' technique, which is fine but this is a football forum and discussing team performances must surely be its main 'raison d'etre' - i think for some, being involved with the club in some capacity is more important than how the team is performing. Each to their own.
    I cannot believe that goes on.....
  • Options
    There’s one prime candidate out there and plying it as we speak - a right bumhole of a man and although I’m a tad bored, I’m not going to name names 
  • Options
    In case anyone has not seen this

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    There’s one prime candidate out there and plying it as we speak - a right bumhole of a man and although I’m a tad bored, I’m not going to name names 
    ??
  • Options
    Having poorly managed a poor vets side for years, I can relate to many of Bowyer's formation and positional choices. When you no longer have a big bastard centre back, or anyone who can move at faster than a brisk walking pace available, you tend to try players in a different position each week in the hope that something works. That is exactly how the approach seemed to me yesterday.

The shape, set-up and players' positions just seems to be mostly wrong lately. I get the feeling the players aren't enjoying playing our cautious style of football, being played out of position, or that some of them are being singled out for criticism. Consequently, they are playing with a lack of the belief and confidence needed to win games consistently at any level. 

There appeared to have been a clear the air meeting before the Wimbledon game, because we played much more positively (even in the first half) and were on the front foot for most of the game. I think a lot of that was as a result of having Maddison and Williams on the pitch for more of the game than usual, and you could see how delighted all the other players were when Jonny scored.
    This should have been the platform to kick-start our season, so to subsequently drop Williams for the whole Swindon game, then not play the two of them together yesterday was, along with the bizarre positional choices, bloody awful decision making by Bowyer. He is feeling the pressure of expectation from the fans and our owner and is struggling to cope. I reckon he would really benefit from some guidance to help him come up with a clear plan going forward. Otherwise our season is going to end in disappointment.

Which vets side you managed 
    Longlands, in the Southern Veterans League. Are you involved in that league too?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    I think there is one prime candidate for WUM here.