Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    UEFA rules are that if they have 13 players available from their listed squad of 23 players then they have to play.
  • Options
    Spurs off tomorrow. 13 positive tests.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59576387

Tottenham's Europa Conference League match against Rennes on Thursday is off after eight players and five members of staff tested positive for Covid-19 at the London club.
    Their match against Brighton on Sunday in the Premier League is believed to be under review.
    Spurs said they closed their first-team training centre on Wednesday.

Only 8 players, but if they've had to close their training ground, that would make the postponement more understandable, thinking back to some of the postponements in our division last season
  • Options
    Spurs running scared of Brighton...😂
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Rudders22 said:
    I know it can't be helped but didn't Leyton Orient had to foreit their FA cup tie with Spurs last season because of Covid.  They were not allowed to re-arrange their game. 
    That was a unique situation though because the early rounds of the league cup last season were all scheduled for consecutive weeks so there was simply no time to re-arrange it.

Spurs may well have to forfeit the European game anyway as the rules apparently state all ties must be completed by 31 December.

They already have games scheduled for 12, 16, 19, 22, 26, 28 Dec and 1 Jan so it's pretty impossible they can fit it in unless they're allowed to reschedule a league game or their league cup quarter final in order to play the European game.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I know it can't be helped but didn't Leyton Orient had to foreit their FA cup tie with Spurs last season because of Covid.  They were not allowed to re-arrange their game. 
    That was a unique situation though because the early rounds of the league cup last season were all scheduled for consecutive weeks so there was simply no time to re-arrange it.

Spurs may well have to forfeit the European game anyway as the rules apparently state all ties must be completed by 31 December.

They already have games scheduled for 12, 16, 19, 22, 26, 28 Dec and 1 Jan so it's pretty impossible they can fit it in unless they're allowed to reschedule a league game or their league cup quarter final in order to play the European game.
    Also has the added complication that the French start their mid-season winter break on 22nd Dec.

Spurs have reported more infections today.  Its looking highly likely the Leicester game next Thursday will be called off too now.  Also brings into question the Liverpool game the following weekend depending on self-isolation rules.  10 days isolation from today takes us to Mon 20th.  West Ham wont want the cup game on the 22nd moved (and if we were in their position, neither would we!), so I can't see the European game being played.

• Options
    Tottenham's Premier League match at Brighton on Sunday has been postponed following a number of positive Covid-19 cases among Spurs' players and staff.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59598648
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59598424

The Premier League has told its 20 clubs to return to emergency measures in light of new Covid rules in England.
    The protocols, which include social distancing, were brought in at the start of the season.
    Clubs with high vaccination rates had relaxed some of the measures but must now reimpose restrictions to help limit the spread of the Omicron variant.

A number of Leicester players did not travel to Italy for their Europa League group game against Napoli on Thursday because of positive Covid-19 tests.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59606884

Norwich the latest club to have Covid issues. Their last game was against Spurs, though that isn't necessarily the reason
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tottenham's postponed Europa Conference League game with Rennes will not be rescheduled, says Uefa.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59620193
  • Options
    With the likely increase in cases due to the huge increase in transmissibility of the Omicron variant, I would expect most clubs to be affected in the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    Yes another player goes down clutching his chest yesterday, no reports of it (Lindelof) yet its still a coincidence? 🤯🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    No cancellation yet, but Man U's games against Brentford on Tuesday could be in doubt after a number of cases after the Norwich game yesterday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59625399
  • Options
    Brentford vs Man U off

A blow to Brentford that, you imagine home to Man U was one of the fixtures they were really looking forward to
  • Options
    So ridiculous. You can't tell me that Man U don't have a big enough squad to fulfill the fixture.

They must have a squad of at least 30 including some of the youngsters on the fringes of the first team.
  • Options
    the season could become a bit of a farce if we now have a huge raft of games called off over the next 3/4 weeks....which looks more and more likely to happen
  • Options
    So ridiculous. You can't tell me that Man U don't have a big enough squad to fulfill the fixture.

They must have a squad of at least 30 including some of the youngsters on the fringes of the first team.
    But assuming all the first team squad and u23s train as a group, share the same dressing rooms, micing outside socially, one infection is all it takes to wipe the squad out and make them all have to isolate, depending on whether they've had the jabs etc.

I thought the U23s were supposed to training seperately for this eventuality but clearly not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Tottenham's postponed Europa Conference League game with Rennes will not be rescheduled, says Uefa.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59620193
    Really not a surprise.  They didnt want to play in what was their winter break.  Fully expect us to be kicked out now.  With the greatest respect, thank fuck for that!  Would much rather us concentrate on the league and FA Cup.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

But assuming all the first team squad and u23s train as a group, share the same dressing rooms, micing outside socially, one infection is all it takes to wipe the squad out and make them all have to isolate, depending on whether they've had the jabs etc.

I thought the U23s were supposed to training seperately for this eventuality but clearly not.
    Plenty of other teams have had positive cases who will also have mixed with the rest of their squad, but their games went ahead.

I'm sure i read Arsenal had a game earlier in the season where they had 6-7 players missing and the game went ahead, why are United any different?

Test players yesterday and again today and the negatives can all play. You can't tell me they don't have at least 18 negatives out of a 30+ man squad.
  • Options
    It does seem that if clubs want a game postponed, they can make it happen. After all nobody at the PL/EFL is at the training ground to independently  verify which players have been in contact with each other
  • Options

QPR have postponed Saturday's home game with Swansea City amid continued Covid-19 cases at the Championship club.

It is a second postponement this week for Rangers, who also had to call off Monday's trip to Sheffield United.

QPR again say that there has been "a number of positive Covid-19 cases" in their first-team squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59644058

• Options
    After the Lincoln debacle last season I dont care anymore. There is no accountability & clubs can refuse to play with impunity. 
  • Options
    If anyone calls a game off against us it’s because they’re running scared of our hot streak and the football league are against us , if we call a game off then fair enough we’re only following the rules .
    Quite right too  :D
  • Options
    I've just got a feeling premier league games will be back behind closed doors very soon 
  • Options
    Reading vs Luton is the next game to be called off
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59670168

And the women's game between Leicester and Manchester City too
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If the worst happens and they have to suspend the league, it could have a serious knock on effect on the WC next year. The PL season's due to start on Aug 6th and they'll struggle to give the players a break if they have to push back the finish date of this one.

Edit. Although if the Covid situation is anything like it is this year, there'll be no chance of the WC going ahead anyway.