Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Gonna be a shitshow in Jan with afcon21 
  • Options
    The players are just part of society.
    When so many test positive it's just an indication of how many people are positive throughout society but don't know it, because ordinary people aren't constantly tested like the players.
    Drop the Covid19 hysteria, stop reducing hospital capacity, and just keep calm and carry on regardless.
  • Options

Burnley's Premier League match at home to Watford on Wednesday has been postponed because of an ongoing Covid outbreak within the visitors' squad.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Ignore, comment above answers it.

Burnley v Watford off tonight. When was that called off? Was it very recently or was it called off yesterday and earlier. Swear it was showing on the betting sides this morning.
  • Options
    But they wont let them call the Leicester v spurs game.
  • Options

Saturday's Championship matches between Reading and Luton and Millwall and Preston have been postponed because of cases of coronavirus.

Both Reading and Millwall said they are unable to play because a "significant number" of their players have tested positive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59669975

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I’m personally expecting an unaccounted for winter break after this weekend’s games are played. 

Could see the return being FA Cup weekend in January?

That would leave us needing to find time to reschedule Wimbledon (A), Gillingham (H) and Wycombe (H). And potentially MK Dons (H) in the pizza cup.
  • Options
    After the Lincoln debacle last season I dont care anymore. There is no accountability & clubs can refuse to play with impunity. 
    I think Impunity has gone out on loan now anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Covid cases went from 59600 yesterday to 78000 today. If the growth in cases  continue like that I can see all xmas & new year games suspended. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Burnley's Premier League match at home to Watford on Wednesday has been postponed because of an ongoing Covid outbreak within the visitors' squad.

Less than 3 hours before kick off, that's pathetic.

Imagine if you're a Watford fan who had taken time off work, paid for trains and a hotel and traveled up.

The league really need to bring in a 24 or 36 hour cut off point for postponements, otherwise the team at fault forfeits the game. You don't get to 2.5-3 hours before kick off without a problem already being known.
    Such is the current climate. Remember arriving in Burnley back in early 1995 for a Tuesday night away game to find out the game had been binned a couple of hours before kick off. 
  • Options
    Covid cases went from 59600 yesterday to 78000 today. If the growth in cases  continue like that I can see all xmas & new year games suspended. 
    I think they'll try and do their best to ride it out through christmas and new year, simply because there will be a lot of pressure from the tv companies for the festive games to go ahead.

I can see a break coming in the new year though if things get out of hand.
  • Options
    unfortunately we are still a week away from xmas and my guess is that case numbers and positive cases will be at such a high level even by then given the growth, that they'll be no option to bin off the season for a couple of weeks meaning the xmas period will all but be cancelled and cause a huge fixture pile up
  • Options
    There'll be an enforced break soon I think 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    clive said:

Less than 3 hours before kick off, that's pathetic.

Imagine if you're a Watford fan who had taken time off work, paid for trains and a hotel and traveled up.

The league really need to bring in a 24 or 36 hour cut off point for postponements, otherwise the team at fault forfeits the game. You don't get to 2.5-3 hours before kick off without a problem already being known.
    Such is the current climate. Remember arriving in Burnley back in early 1995 for a Tuesday night away game to find out the game had been binned a couple of hours before kick off. 
    Yep - I did that one.

I think it was about my third night game visit to Turf Moor.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    /
  • Options
    So far L1 and L2 haven’t been affected much

Fewer cases or less testing?
  • Options

I suspect a far higher take up of vaccinations. Owners/Management teams probably have more control over their 'superstars' and cannot afford to have 2/3 isolating like their PL or Championship cousins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leicester v Spurs tonight is off
  • Options
    Not a chance. TV companies would not allow it. 
  • Options
    Will Spurs ever play again?

Played only 2 league games since 21 November and haven't played an away game since 7 November.

2nd half of the season is going to be tough for them.
  • Options
    Not a chance. TV companies would not allow it. 
    they won't get a choice at this rate
  • Options
    Leicester v Spurs tonight is off
    Not officially confirmed yet but Spurs fans have been told to turn around if they're heading to Leicester so its highly likely.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I suspect a far higher take up of vaccinations. Owners/Management teams probably have more control over their 'superstars' and cannot afford to have 2/3 isolating like their PL or Championship cousins.
    Have the EFL brought back the testing regime they had during the end of the Championship and last season? 
  • Options

In League One, Gillingham and Crewe has been called off because of cases in the Gills camp. Sheffield Wednesday v Accrington is off too.

In League Two, Crawley v Oldham and Northampton v Barrow have also been postponed.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Addickted said:

Have the EFL brought back the testing regime they had during the end of the Championship and last season? 
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10304999/EFL-urged-start-compulsory-Covid-testing-protect-players-clubs-Omicron-tidal-wave.html
  • Options
    Leicester City's home Premier League game with Tottenham on Thursday has been postponed because of Covid-19.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59683741