Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Schwartz (Page 73 - contract cancelled)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Stig said:
    He doesn't fit the way we're playing at the moment. It would be good if over the summer we brought in a higher standard of midfielder so we weren't so reliant on a target man as striker. Having said that, Ronnie is going to have to improve a lot of his off the ball work if he's ever going to fit into Adkins' formation with one up front
    Genuine question, what is his style of play? People were saying that when we were hoofing long balls up the middle, now we're playing with two wingers the same reason is given. What do we have to do to accommodate him? 
    Is it not obvious that he needs to play alongside another striker? This 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 won't suit him any more than hoofing the ball up to him will, his strength isn't winning headers, holding up the ball or linking the play.
    Out and out finisher.
  • This game was crying out for another striker.

Pratley was mostly bypassed.
  • Really needed to see him this afternoon. The game was crying out for his style of attacker.

Disappointed to not see him come on for the last 20 minutes with one of the wingers coming off.
  • Stig said:
    He doesn't fit the way we're playing at the moment. It would be good if over the summer we brought in a higher standard of midfielder so we weren't so reliant on a target man as striker. Having said that, Ronnie is going to have to improve a lot of his off the ball work if he's ever going to fit into Adkins' formation with one up front
    Genuine question, what is his style of play? People were saying that when we were hoofing long balls up the middle, now we're playing with two wingers the same reason is given. What do we have to do to accommodate him? 
    I think he can play in a 4-2-3-1 but not the way we're currently doing it. We saw when he first started with us that he's got an eye for a measured pass. He'd be good with a proper 10 behind him, receiving the ball to feet and being able to lay it off to the 10 and spin away, or put it out wide and then get into the box. He'd benefit from a 10 who can play passes between the lines and find him in space. The problem we have is our current system uses the striker as a focal point for high balls and asks the wingers to cut in and feed off the knock downs. Ronnie's not winning any knock-downs and he's not really a channel runner. I think he'd be good in a 3-5-2 as well, working alongside someone like Stockley, receiving wide balls from the wing backs and providing an option for the target man to play to. I think If Ronnie gets given the ball to feet in a little bit of space he's dangerous, we just haven't ever really let him have that because we've been fairly aimless all season
  • LouisMend said:
    “When I turn around to the bench, we’ve got Ronnie as the attacking option. The other options we’ve got, Chuks [Aneke], Conor [Washington] and Ian Maatsen, were not there [due to injuries]. So, the options to move forward were not there off the bench from that point of view.”

Translation: “I don’t really rate him.” 

Waffles on a bit does Adkins. Must be something about Scouse managers. 
  • 2 managers in a row that don't rate him. There's no other reason for him not getting a decent crack by now.
  • If Atkins plans to play two up top next season then I cannot understand why he's not getting more of a chance. If it's because he doesn't rate him I think that's unfair because he's not really given him a chance. If he plans on mainly playing 1 up front then I don't think he has a future here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Atkins plans to play two up top next season then I cannot understand why he's not getting more of a chance. If it's because he doesn't rate him I think that's unfair because he's not really given him a chance. If he plans on mainly playing 1 up front then I don't think he has a future here. 
    As well as seeing him in training I am sure he would have received feedback from coaching staff as well.

If play offs were unachievable I'd imagine we *may* have seen him, however we are at a point in the season where every point is critical and you can't necessarily afford to throw someone unproven into that. 
    As well as seeing him in training I am sure he would have received feedback from coaching staff as well.

If play offs were unachievable I'd imagine we *may* have seen him, however we are at a point in the season where every point is critical and you can't necessarily afford to throw someone unproven into that. 
    That's fair but the game was crying out for a striker and those two points could be the difference between making the play offs and not. I dont mind him being 4th choice striker but I dont see the point in having him on the bench if your not going to use him when half your strikeforce was out injured. 
  • Would think that if JJ rated him he'd be getting more playing time.
  • If he couldn't get any minutes on Saturday when we had 2 strikers out injured, I don't think we'll see him in a Charlton shirt again. 

I think he'll go back to Denmark at the end of the season 
  • Sad people write him off when he has barely played, also how we set up doesn't suit him. I get peoples thoughts that if he doesn't fit in, but still think he hasn't had a decent chance. Coming from abroad to adapt to a new league, also strikers needs a run of games and minutes. Not sure how it will change unless we are out of the play off running and we decide to go 2 up top, no reason not to change it now but we have been in good form so harder to get him involved. 
  • limeygent said:
    Would think that if JJ rated him he'd be getting more playing time.
    Did he get off the bench at all in JJ’s game in charge?
  • hoping he'll be a little like naby sarr, shocking in his first season, goes away in the second and comes back and becomes a bit of a cult hero. But yeah, smacks of an owner thinking they know better than the manager or volunteering a signing on the manager.
  • Last Saturday would have been perfect for a striker of his suspected? talent to come on and grab a winner. Ball fizzed around in their box quite a bit at the end.

I can't work out if Nigel was desperate to keep a clean sheet at all costs due to our form for letting in silly goals at home so kept him off or if he really doesn't fancy him?

I think it's the latter but time will tell I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    limeygent said:
    Would think that if JJ rated him he'd be getting more playing time.
    Did he get off the bench at all in JJ’s game in charge?
    No, but then we got the winning goal with five minutes to spare

Could question if it was the same scenario as Saturday where Jackson felt the players on the pitch would get the goal, or maybe was getting ready to think about throwing him in there, as he did then bring Pratley on in the 95th minute
  • Stig said:
    I think he can play in a 4-2-3-1 but not the way we're currently doing it. We saw when he first started with us that he's got an eye for a measured pass. He'd be good with a proper 10 behind him, receiving the ball to feet and being able to lay it off to the 10 and spin away, or put it out wide and then get into the box. He'd benefit from a 10 who can play passes between the lines and find him in space. The problem we have is our current system uses the striker as a focal point for high balls and asks the wingers to cut in and feed off the knock downs. Ronnie's not winning any knock-downs and he's not really a channel runner. I think he'd be good in a 3-5-2 as well, working alongside someone like Stockley, receiving wide balls from the wing backs and providing an option for the target man to play to. I think If Ronnie gets given the ball to feet in a little bit of space he's dangerous, we just haven't ever really let him have that because we've been fairly aimless all season
    You mean someone like Johnny Williams? :wink:

Like I said before it made sense to try and sign Schwartz when we had players like Williams and Maddison.  It made little sense we we didn't. 

• paulfox said:
    hoping he'll be a little like naby sarr, shocking in his first season, goes away in the second and comes back and becomes a bit of a cult hero. But yeah, smacks of an owner thinking they know better than the manager or volunteering a signing on the manager.
    Have we seen enough of him to declare he’s been shocking? Was his finish when he first played shocking? Nobody has seen enough of him to have a valid opinion as to whether he’s good or not. I think we need to wait and see if he gets a chance in a side that plays to his strengths and then if he’s shocking...... well he’d be shocking.  Half the players we ever had wouldn’t get a look in  if it was down to some of the experts on this forum. 
    i was talking about naby sarr, but agreed, he needs a run in the team, but we just cant really afford to give it to him at the moment. 
  • paulfox said:
    hoping he'll be a little like naby sarr, shocking in his first season, goes away in the second and comes back and becomes a bit of a cult hero. But yeah, smacks of an owner thinking they know better than the manager or volunteering a signing on the manager.
    Have we seen enough of him to declare he’s been shocking? Was his finish when he first played shocking? Nobody has seen enough of him to have a valid opinion as to whether he’s good or not. I think we need to wait and see if he gets a chance in a side that plays to his strengths and then if he’s shocking...... well he’d be shocking.  Half the players we ever had wouldn’t get a look in  if it was down to some of the experts on this forum. 
    i was talking about naby sarr, but agreed, he needs a run in the team, but we just cant really afford to give it to him at the moment. 
    Yes agreed, I was undecided whether he was worth the risk on Saturday. I do feel for him though, I’m still hoping he turns out to be a good signing.the timing has been wrong right from the start. But he needs to be given a fair crack, which he hasn’t yet.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Stig said:
    You mean someone like Johnny Williams? :wink:

Like I said before it made sense to try and sign Schwartz when we had players like Williams and Maddison.  It made little sense we we didn't. 

Someone like them, absolutely. Unfortunately you can't build a team around either of those for fitness reasons but I'd love us to pick up someone of that type in the summer. We would look great if we had a proper creative 10 to swap with Gilbey for certain games, that would allow us to either play with a creator between the lines or use Gilbey to control the midfield more and act as a ball-carrying attacking midfielder who does his share of defensive work. Options are good.
  • I do feel for Ronnie. Another signing we might have all too quickly fallen for the youtube videos of his best bits - finishing. The way he attacks the ball to bury it into the net made me feel he was a hard pressing striker who would give defenders no respite. But he isn't. He's more a fox in the box type. 
  • ...and the reality is we scored 6 goals without the need for a poacher.