Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snowing (Dec 23 pg 11)

Comments

• Options
    HexHex
    edited January 4
    Hex said:
    I don’t like to make a post like this so far in advance especially as cold weather predictions have tendency to misfire but,

there is significant potential for a cold (next week) or very cold (the week after) spell.  There’s nothing definite yet but if you would have problems getting out and about in icy weather, it may be worth making your next shopping trip one where you stock up on essential items.
     Now I know who to blame when all the panic buying happens and I cant get any toilet roll or pot noddles. 
    Now I've told you, you can panic buy your toilet rolls and people will just think you've just got an extreme stomach bug.  Try standing in the supermarket queue, groaning and holding your stomach and see what reaction you get.

• Options
    edited January 4
    The BBC forecast has said that High Pressure will be moving in by the weekend which will bring a period of dry but colder weather. "colder" being around 6 degrees rather than the 11's & 12's that we've had recently. 

Not seen it said it is going to snow or be a cold "snap". 

Post's like @Hex's really annoy me. During the pandemic & when there were food shortages I had real trouble getting toilet rolls. For 3 weeks my local ASDA didn't have any when I went in to do my weekly shop & at one point we resorted to using kitchen roll as we had run out completely & there were no toilet rolls in any of the local shops.

Its stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 
  • Options
    The BBC forecast has said that High Pressure will be moving in by the weekend which will bring a period of dry but colder weather. "colder" being around 6 degrees rather than the 11's & 12's that we've had recently. 

Post's like @Hex's really annoy me. During the pandemic & when there were food shortages I had real trouble getting toilet rolls. For 3 weeks my local ASDA didn't have any when I went in to do my weekly shop & at one point we resorted to using kitchen roll as we had run out completely & there were no toilet rolls in any of the local shops.

Its stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 

• Options
    Thanks for the advance weather warning. I’ll bring some toilets rolls back from Gran Canaria next week. 🥸🤓
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited January 4

Thanks golfie, I can tick off one of my life's ambitions now !  ;-)
    If you check my post it is aimed at those who would find getting around on ice difficult.  I think they deserve an early warning.  Ideally I would have gone around and knocked on their doors individually but I'm a bit busy at the moment.
    I know what the BBC are saying currently but if it doesn't happen to the extremes that are possible then the usually BBC-haters will be out in force.
    Like I said, I would not normally say this so far in advance but "around 6 degrees" or a "cold snap" would not get me posting.
  • Options
    edited January 4

It’s stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 
    Oh golfie. I know your cup runneth dry but warning a few people on a football forum who might have difficulty with shopping that a cold snap could possibly be on the way strikes me as being very neighbourly and a good thing to do. Quite why you think this will lead to a run on toilet paper and shortages really is moaning for the sake of moaning. 
    Yes, but a cold snap is not on the way......yet. certainly not for the next week. There is no risk of people slipping on ice. More risk of drowning in flood water by the sound of yet another rain storm going on outside. 

I quite understand when there is bad weather forecast that its nice to warn people. But currently the forecast doesnt show anything that remotely looks like there is potential for problems.

As I said, its things like this that panics people & leads to shortages. I have seen various rumours on here & other SM platforms that get misinterpreted and before you know it everyone is rushing out to stock up on food, fuel, salt etc etc. 

Just no need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It’s stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 
    Oh golfie. I know your cup runneth dry but warning a few people on a football forum who might have difficulty with shopping that a cold snap could possibly be on the way strikes me as being very neighbourly and a good thing to do. Quite why you think this will lead to a run on toilet paper and shortages really is moaning for the sake of moaning. 
    Yes, but a cold snap is not on the way......yet. certainly not for the next week. There is no risk of people slipping on ice. More risk of drowning in flood water by the sound of yet another rain storm going on outside. 

I quite understand when there is bad weather forecast that its nice to warn people. But currently the forecast doesnt show anything that remotely looks like there is potential for problems.

As I said, its things like this that panics people & leads to shortages. I have seen various rumours on here & other SM platforms that get misinterpreted and before you know it everyone is rushing out to stock up on food, fuel, salt etc etc. 

Just no need.
    So, when are these drownings going to take place? And is there anything we can do about it?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    think Hex is also bit of a meteorologist isn't he

Posted lots of interesting stuff previously from his weather station
    I’m no meteorologist, just a life-long interest in the weather.  These days there’s a deluge (!) of data and informed opinions on the highly complex meteorological happenings of our planet.  So much to learn.  And with my IT hat on, AI may be about to play an important role.
  • Options
    Hex might be into something - turning colder soon.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Just no need.
    So, when are these drownings going to take place? And is there anything we can do about it?
    If I was you I’d buy up as many bog rolls as you can. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Just no need.
    kitchen roll would be better. more absorbent. 
  • Options
    Literally not dropping below 0° in the next 10 days
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Just no need.
    Kitchen Roll is not sewer friendly. 😕
  • Options
    The Met Office long range forecast is for periods of cold weather, with snow possible.
  • Options
    Good job we didn't move Up North

• Sponsored links:

• Options
     @Hex was correct about the likelihood of very much colder weather to come. The UK Health Security Agency has issued a cold weather alert valid from 9am on 6th January to 12 noon on 9th January. Temperatures are likely to be below average especially overnight with much more overnight frost than of late. Ice is likely to be an issue given the very wet ground in most areas. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2024/colder-conditions-on-the-way

UK long range weather forecast

Tuesday 9 Jan - Thursday 18 Jan

Next week will begin mostly dry with variable amounts of cloud and some sunny spells. The sunniest weather is likely to be in the north and west. Elsewhere, probably mostly cloudy with a cold easterly breeze developing in the south. By the middle of next week, the wind should ease and, with high pressure in charge, there should be a good deal of dry weather. Cloud amounts will continue to be quite variable, but all areas should see some sunshine at times. Much colder than recently, with frost probably becoming quite widespread and some freezing fog patches are possible in places. Beyond next week, conditions are likely to remain cold, with an increasing chance of some snow showers, developing particularly in the north.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Thu 4 Jan 2024

Friday 19 Jan - Friday 2 Feb

Compared to normal, there is an increased chance of colder than average conditions during this period. Currently the chance of widespread severe cold is still deemed low, but still the risk of impacts from cold, including ice and snow is greater than normal. It is likely to be drier than recent weeks, but what does fall is more likely to be of a wintry nature. While there is a chance of brief, unsettled spells, which would bring milder air for a time, it would likely also be accompanied by a period of sleet or snow. However, when, or even if, this would happen is very uncertain, and overall the main theme will be much more in the way of settled conditions through this period.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Thu 4 Jan 2024

• Options
    Not a single actual temperature listed in that, nor locations. The South East of England is the warmest area generally, so even if it's -5 up in the North East, we'll see temps of 1-2 down here. 

It's at best incredibly vague, and at worst it's scaremongering
  • Options
    so, no ice over the coming week.

Do I still need to warn my elderly neighbours & do their shopping for them ?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Not a single actual temperature listed in that, nor locations. The South East of England is the warmest area generally, so even if it's -5 up in the North East, we'll see temps of 1-2 down here. 

Long range forecasts are usually vague, but they do point to a trend and in this case it is for colder weather, which confirms what @Hex posted. The ground is very wet at the moment and if we have sub zero temperatures, ice is going to be a problem.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    so, no ice over the coming week.

Do I still need to warn my elderly neighbours & do their shopping for them ?
    UK Health Security Agency has issued a cold weather alert covering the whole of England valid from 9am on 6th January to 12 noon on 9th January. Temperatures are likely to be below average especially overnight with much more overnight frost than of late. Ice is likely to be an issue given the very wet ground in most areas. 

I have put this in bold, so you can see it better and re-posted the original link which contains the above sentence.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2024/colder-conditions-on-the-way
  • Options
    A cool morning.....

• Options
    sam3110 said:

The Met Office are required by government to produce these longer range forecasts, even when confidence is low.  The technical name is Shannon Entropy.  They are vague for a reason.   We are entering a phase of quite unusual synoptics so expect the forecasts to change more often.

You are correct that the southeast is generally the warmest part of the UK but that doesn’t really help you with day to day weather.  If the wind is from the east or southeast then it travels across the shortest bit of ‘warm’ water making the southeast likely to be the coldest area.  Then you have to take into account the wind speed and cloud cover etc.  “Generally” doesn’t help much !
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Just no need.
    Kitchen Roll is not sewer friendly. 😕
    Strong enough to Wash through and re-use
  • Options
    Cold weather expected in January. That’s crazy….
    Mental init. We are doomed.