Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snowing (Dec 23 pg 11)

Comments

• Options
    And day to day for the next 10 days the weather forecast says it won't drop below 0, even in the middle of the night. @Hex I get what you're saying but quite frankly if it's not going to be below 0 in the next 10 days I can't see why we're warning people of a cold snap coming. 

If in a week's time it then says we're going to drop to -5 overnight for a few days then fine, go ahead and tell everyone, but at the moment it comes across as a way to try and warn/scare people about what is usually referred to as.... "Winter"
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    And day to day for the next 10 days the weather forecast says it won't drop below 0, even in the middle of the night. @Hex I get what you're saying but quite frankly if it's not going to be below 0 in the next 10 days I can't see why we're warning people of a cold snap coming. 

If in a week's time it then says we're going to drop to -5 overnight for a few days then fine, go ahead and tell everyone, but at the moment it comes across as a way to try and warn/scare people about what is usually referred to as.... "Winter"
    @sam3110 If it was going down to -5 for a few nights then I would not be posting.  There’s nothing definite at present but that could change and quite quickly hence my suggestion to those who have mobility problems to think about some early precautions at their next shop.

If you watch the BBC weather forecasts then take note of how far ahead they are forecasting - it can give you an idea of how (un)predictable the weather is.

If you get your weather from an app then treat it as a bit of fun.  Do not rely on it !  If the app uses the American prediction model you need to know the suite is run every 6 hours.  However, to get a better idea of what may happen they rerun the model 30-50 times, changing the input data slightly for each run within the suite.  Just 1 of these runs is used to provide app data.  The result could be spot on or totally unrepresentative of the suite and you won’t know !
  • Options
    Weather forecasting is witchcraft. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Forecast for the next week where I live is saying 0 to -1 overnight. Not everyone lives in London or the SE
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Forecast for the next week where I live is saying 0 to -1 overnight. Not everyone lives in London or the SE
    Majority do on a Charlton website (-:
  • Options
    The BBC forecast has said that High Pressure will be moving in by the weekend which will bring a period of dry but colder weather. "colder" being around 6 degrees rather than the 11's & 12's that we've had recently. 

Not seen it said it is going to snow or be a cold "snap". 

Post's like @Hex's really annoy me. During the pandemic & when there were food shortages I had real trouble getting toilet rolls. For 3 weeks my local ASDA didn't have any when I went in to do my weekly shop & at one point we resorted to using kitchen roll as we had run out completely & there were no toilet rolls in any of the local shops.

Its stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 
    Snow forecast tomorrow for Bromley. 
  • Options
    The BBC forecast has said that High Pressure will be moving in by the weekend which will bring a period of dry but colder weather. "colder" being around 6 degrees rather than the 11's & 12's that we've had recently. 

Not seen it said it is going to snow or be a cold "snap". 

Post's like @Hex's really annoy me. During the pandemic & when there were food shortages I had real trouble getting toilet rolls. For 3 weeks my local ASDA didn't have any when I went in to do my weekly shop & at one point we resorted to using kitchen roll as we had run out completely & there were no toilet rolls in any of the local shops.

Its stupid stories like this that causes people to panic buy & horde. Scare mongering at its worst. 
    Snow forecast tomorrow for Bromley. 
    No It is not.

Weather forecast tonight suggest there is a small band of rain heading south eastwards from Suffolk/ Essex. Mixed with the colder air it MIGHT lead to "wintery showers", which is a euphemism for sleety rain. The forecast also said "on high ground". I take that to be on top of the Downs.....not f**king Bromley.

Even if it did fall as snow it will melt within minutes. 
  • Options
    Snowing in Mottingham 
  • Options
    Few flakes in Dartford, mind you, you have to look hard to see them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bloody freezing in Bexleyheath, that's all
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited January 8
    The radar shows there’s a bit of a Thames streamer setting up.

The wind off the ‘warm’ estuary hits the foothills of the North Downs mountains and deposits precipitation which, conditions permitting, turns wintry.  It is rarely moderate, let alone heavy but can be persistent.  To happen, as long a fetch over the North Sea as possible is needed.  If you look at a map of the south east and eastwards to Belgium and the Netherlands and place an imaginary ruler you will see there is a wind direction, roughly ENE, where the wind just misses the Europe coast and ends up over NW Kent.  If the wind moves either way a few degrees the supply is cut off.
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding all Golfie are there really North Down Mountains?
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding all Golfie are there really North Down Mountains?
    I may have exaggerated a little.
  • Options
    It's currently a mixture of sleet and snow flakes in Bearsted, Maidstone.
  • Options
    @golfaddick do me a favour and take on board the following. 

When you have multi topic forums, posters with an interest and some knowledge on fringe topics that most others don’t are greatly appreciated by the majority. That’s how good forums work.

Someone that is just rude and dismissive to others just leads to them thinking ‘I won’t bother then, not worth the hassle’. That person stops doing something they enjoy, and the vast majority miss out on reading something they enjoy. That’s how bad forums work. 

Posting things like the ‘posts like Hex’s really annoy me’ one are shitty posts. As they are just unnecessarily rude and dismissive, and more than likely to discourage that poster, which the vast majority of us don’t want. 

So please, just stop and think about how your posts are received, and how they might impact on the whole forum. And that goes for everyone really. Thank you. 

Ps. Crack on @Hex I hugely appreciate your posts on weather things and know I’m not alone with that 

Ok, will do.

Just off to the Savings & Investments thread to warn everybody of an imminent stock market crash. 
    Thanks for the heads-up. I've just sold all my shares. 
    Where do you suggest I put my money?🤔
  • Options
    Just had a small amount of snow here in Strood

Looks like someone has sprinkled flour over my decking
  • Options
    @golfaddick do me a favour and take on board the following. 

When you have multi topic forums, posters with an interest and some knowledge on fringe topics that most others don’t are greatly appreciated by the majority. That’s how good forums work.

Someone that is just rude and dismissive to others just leads to them thinking ‘I won’t bother then, not worth the hassle’. That person stops doing something they enjoy, and the vast majority miss out on reading something they enjoy. That’s how bad forums work. 

Posting things like the ‘posts like Hex’s really annoy me’ one are shitty posts. As they are just unnecessarily rude and dismissive, and more than likely to discourage that poster, which the vast majority of us don’t want. 

So please, just stop and think about how your posts are received, and how they might impact on the whole forum. And that goes for everyone really. Thank you. 

Ps. Crack on @Hex I hugely appreciate your posts on weather things and know I’m not alone with that 

Ok, will do.

Just off to the Savings & Investments thread to warn everybody of an imminent stock market crash. 
    Thanks for the heads-up. I've just sold all my shares. 
    Where do you suggest I put my money?🤔

Tomorrow.io
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Snowing lightly to moderately now it Dartford, don’t think it will lay, so don’t send the snowplough out yet.
  • Options
    Snowing in Belvedere now
  • Options
    Snowing in Chelsfield. 
    Not heavy enough to settle at the moment. 
  • Options
    My son went for a run at 7.30am. If that wasn't bad enough, he has just messaged me from Redlibbets GC, where he is practising his game on their grass range, to say that it is snowing reasonably heavily and that "conditions are making me look somewhat silly". The kids of today, eh! No sense whatsoever - he could be a fat slob like his old man, tucked up in the warmth, watching the cricket from Australia and posting on Charlton Life! 
  • Options
    No snow or even sleet forecast here in West Yorkshire. It’s grim down south.
  • Options
    No snow or even sleet forecast here in West Yorkshire. It’s grim down south.
    No snow the other side of the Pennines either but then it’s not a novelty up here 😉.
  • Options
    Weather forecasting is the job to have! Millions spent on computers,and satellites. 
    And when its wrong.. its "Oh well we will try again tomorrow" AND they get paid a fortune.
  • Options
    Weather forecasting is the job to have! Millions spent on computers,and satellites. 
    And when its wrong.. its "Oh well we will try again tomorrow" AND they get paid a fortune.
    Good job people's livelihood isn't reliant on faultless technology. They might end up in jail if it weren't so reliable.