Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• They’re the comments some would have made if he signed for them
  • Reading these comments reminded me of the fact Lyle taylor actually joined us for less money than he was offered by Sunderland, which is interesting to be fair in the context of the substantiated allegations of greed he gets around the he way he fucked off and left us
  • edited June 2021
    We need a team of Jayden Stockley's in attitude and personality.
    We don't need 11 Stockley type players though we would be brilliant at attacking and defending set pieces ! 

We should play more balls on the deck to JS, or to his chest as he can control and sweep the ball out wide.
    Too many rubbish balls to him last season when still 35 yards from goal. 
    As soon as he had Chuks playing alongside he gets a knock down and he sweeps the ball into the net for his first goal for Cafc with his feet.
    Of course when in the box play balls in the air to him, hopefully from an advanced position where he can run on to the ball and not behind him.

I would never mention Yann and Stockley in the same breath( you just did ?) as polar opposite players with contrasting attitudes and skill set.

Don't believe Jayden would sulk and sit in the dugout after the match after not starting a game and being sent on mid second half at Palace.
    Painful game when we were 1 up at HT but Murray scored 2 to depress the Charlton faithful.
  • edited June 2021
    Watching videos of Jayden's career goals and he has scored more than most probably would expect using his feet.

As mentioned above, just hope we don't do that Charlton thing of bringing somebody in who is good at something, then bastardise that skillset of theirs by overusing it. I have complete faith in NA and his experience. 

https://youtu.be/ozQRJDVZTLg
  • That was some volley he hit there!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    The Football League are still enforcing FFP so the budget has to be strict. As stated in the Steve Gallen interview he has to avoid fines or points deductions.

The club has to live within its income.
    League 1 FFP includes equity investment from owners as income. 

If the club had to live within its income we wouldn't have any players at all.  We lose money if we pay them zero.

FFP is not an issue if Thomas wants to spend.  Him wanting to spend and how much is a different conversation. 
    I think Steve Gallen knows the implications of going over the FFP restrictions.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    The Football League are still enforcing FFP so the budget has to be strict. As stated in the Steve Gallen interview he has to avoid fines or points deductions.

The club has to live within its income.
    League 1 FFP includes equity investment from owners as income. 

If the club had to live within its income we wouldn't have any players at all.  We lose money if we pay them zero.

FFP is not an issue if Thomas wants to spend.  Him wanting to spend and how much is a different conversation. 
    I think Steve Gallen knows the implications of going over the FFP restrictions.
    I am not doubting he does, I am saying they irrelevant if TS invests as equity, not loans. 
  • edited June 2021
    Pompey Chief Exec on missing out on Stockley.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/portsmouth-chief-left-disappointed-as-stockley-opts-for-charlton-athletic-move/

Seems the rumours he had agreed to sign for them were probably true, I guess we upped our offer late on.
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as I'm excited about this excellent signing, I do have a niggling feeling that it maybe only happened because Pompey forced our hand and it feels a bit like we got him to prevent a potential huge regret at the end of the season
  • Scoham said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/portsmouth-chief-left-disappointed-as-stockley-opts-for-charlton-athletic-move/

Seems the rumours he had agreed to sign for them were probably true, I guess we upped our offer late on.

It happens. As he says, I'm sure most clubs have benefited from it and lost out as well. I had a very similar thing happen to me last week with someone I was trying to hire for the company I work for. I thought we had her all agreed and was just waiting for her signature when she called me to say her current employer was going to offer her better terms than she was currently on and she'd opted to stay where she was. Frustrating as I felt she'd be a great addition to our team and we are crazy busy and need reinforcements asap, but I respect she has to do what is right for her.
    Same thing happened to me two weeks ago.

As I explained to her though once the pay rise settles and the shine comes off the promotion. They would still be working in the same company doing the same job she wanted to leave. 

Guarantee they both end up looking again in 6 months … it’s not always about the money 
  • As much as I'm excited about this excellent signing, I do have a niggling feeling that it maybe only happened because Pompey forced our hand and it feels a bit like we got him to prevent a potential huge regret at the end of the season
    That wouldn't explain a three year contract.
    That wouldn't explain a three year contract.
    Or the fact we had a verbal agreement in May
  • Scoham said:

Or just trying to save face maybe? So it looks like there doing something.
    ?🤔🧐
  • Scoham said:

Not impossible. They could even leak that they offered him a big wage to make it look like the player was greedy...
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Not impossible. They could even leak that they offered him a big wage to make it look like the player was greedy...
    Played that well then if they did if you look at the Pompey fans reactions.
  • Reading these comments reminded me of the fact Lyle taylor actually joined us for less money than he was offered by Sunderland, which is interesting to be fair in the context of the substantiated allegations of greed he gets around the he way he fucked off and left us
    exactly,cant wait to see him back in a Charlton shirt
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember Stockley's work rate being questioned after some games last season. 

Hilarious seeing as most fans, fellow players and manager would only praise his effort and energy levels.
  • Jayden's agent is Jonathan Fortune which must have helped Charlton's cause. Great that we have tied into a three year contract.
  • edited June 2021
    mendonca said:
    I remember Stockley's work rate being questioned after some games last season. 

Hilarious seeing as most fans, fellow players and manager would only praise his effort and energy levels.
    I questioned his workrate when closing, something Washington and even Aneke are good at.

He battles CB's well when the ball is coming in and certainlydid more closing as the season close
  • edited June 2021
    Jayden's agent is Jonathan Fortune which must have helped Charlton's cause. Great that we have tied into a three year contract.
    Who else he got? Do we get a discount for bulk or a BOGOF?
  • Hal1x said:
    Jayden's agent is Jonathan Fortune which must have helped Charlton's cause. Great that we have tied into a three year contract.
    Who else he got? Do we get a discount for bulk or a BOGOF?
    Stockley, Vennings and Jaiyesimi. Maybe others as well.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    I remember Stockley's work rate being questioned after some games last season. 

I questioned his workrate when closing, something Washington and even Aneke are good at.

He battles CB's well when the ball is coming in and certainlydid more closing as the season close
    Different styles of play and pressure on defenders. It was clear Stockley was left to do 2 players role at times.
  • edited June 2021
    AndyG said:
    Jayden made it very clear at the end of last season that he wanted to make his loan move to us permanent, he even publicly stated it whilst being interviewed on TV. Nobody should have anything negative to say about him potentially using interest from other clubs to get a better deal for himself from us, he would be mad not to have done so imo. The guy is a fantastic addition for us and I'm sure will become a Charlton favorite, I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals for us this season if he stays injury free and from what I have seen he has the perfect attitude to fit right in with the club ethos
    I don't think that's in question, but if the Pompey Chairman is to be believed they had everything agreed & at the last minute he chose us. Now, if he was that enamoured & taken by being here last season why would he be about to sign for another club, especially if he'd already agreed terms with us last month. Ok, so he wants to hear what they have to offer - I have no problem with that. But the article seems to say that he was about to sign for Pompey & did a U-turn & joined us last minute. 

It might all just be trying to squeeze an extra £500per week from us......but that doesnt bode well if we are close to losing a player who had already played here & seemed wanted to come back. Heaven help us when we are trying to tempt a player who hasn't any affinity to us..... 
  • AndyG said:
    Jayden made it very clear at the end of last season that he wanted to make his loan move to us permanent, he even publicly stated it whilst being interviewed on TV. Nobody should have anything negative to say about him potentially using interest from other clubs to get a better deal for himself from us, he would be mad not to have done so imo. The guy is a fantastic addition for us and I'm sure will become a Charlton favorite, I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals for us this season if he stays injury free and from what I have seen he has the perfect attitude to fit right in with the club ethos
    I don't think that's in question, but if the Pompey Chairman is to be believed they had everything agreed & at the last minute he chose us. Now, if he was that enamoured & taken by being here last season why would he be about to sign for another club, especially if he'd already agreed terms with us last month. Ok, so he wants to hear what they have to offer - I have no problem with that. But the article seems to say that he was about to sign for Pompey & did a U-turn & joined us last minute. 

It might all just be trying to squeeze an extra £500per week from us......but that doesnt bode well if we are close to losing a player who had already played here & seemed wanted to come back. Heaven help us when we are trying to tempt a player who hasn't any affinity to us..... 
    think your last paragraph is spot on. He was using Pompey to squeeze extra out of us. If we hadn’t budged he might have still signed anyway. I think he would have. He seemed to like it here, had checked out houses, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc. And Pompey couldn’t have wanted him that much if they were not prepared to match our terms. We’ve got a decent player, be happy about it.
  • AndyG said:

think your last paragraph is spot on. He was using Pompey to squeeze extra out of us. If we hadn’t budged he might have still signed anyway. I think he would have. He seemed to like it here, had checked out houses, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc. And Pompey couldn’t have wanted him that much if they were not prepared to match our terms. We’ve got a decent player, be happy about it.
    I am happy about it......but signing Stockley was supposed to be one if the easiest deals to get done. If we had trouble securing his services then God forbid what we problems we are going to come up against when we are in a real dogfight with clubs like Wigan & Sunderland.