Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• AndyG said:
    Jayden made it very clear at the end of last season that he wanted to make his loan move to us permanent, he even publicly stated it whilst being interviewed on TV. Nobody should have anything negative to say about him potentially using interest from other clubs to get a better deal for himself from us, he would be mad not to have done so imo. The guy is a fantastic addition for us and I'm sure will become a Charlton favorite, I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals for us this season if he stays injury free and from what I have seen he has the perfect attitude to fit right in with the club ethos
    I don't think that's in question, but if the Pompey Chairman is to be believed they had everything agreed & at the last minute he chose us. Now, if he was that enamoured & taken by being here last season why would he be about to sign for another club, especially if he'd already agreed terms with us last month. Ok, so he wants to hear what they have to offer - I have no problem with that. But the article seems to say that he was about to sign for Pompey & did a U-turn & joined us last minute. 

It might all just be trying to squeeze an extra £500per week from us......but that doesnt bode well if we are close to losing a player who had already played here & seemed wanted to come back. Heaven help us when we are trying to tempt a player who hasn't any affinity to us..... 
    think your last paragraph is spot on. He was using Pompey to squeeze extra out of us. If we hadn’t budged he might have still signed anyway. I think he would have. He seemed to like it here, had checked out houses, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc. And Pompey couldn’t have wanted him that much if they were not prepared to match our terms. We’ve got a decent player, be happy about it.
    I am happy about it......but signing Stockley was supposed to be one if the easiest deals to get done. If we had trouble securing his services then God forbid what we problems we are going to come up against when we are in a real dogfight with clubs like Wigan & Sunderland.

Richard Cawley said on the 14th of June that we put a bid in for Stockley "last week" and he signed for us on the 15th of June. Doesn't sound like it was anything but easy despite serious interest from other league 1 clubs.

Honestly don't see the concern here. We likely will be in a dogfight for certain players and no doubt we'll lose a few battles but no doubt we'll win a few. That's football, and there is absolutely nothing in this successful transfer that should suggest anything about us struggling to sign players in the future.

• Rothko said:
    Yann was Yann, a very special footballer who we were lucky to have, but Stockley has the potential to be a fan’s favourite, but no one will be another Yann, the beautiful French son of a gun 
    That's a bit like telling a Scotsman he's English.
    But you can tell him he's British!

Yann had told us before that he was Breton first, French second.

And no, I'm not splitting hairs. Like the Scots, the Bretons are passionate about their own separate identity. :wink:

• edited June 2021
    AndyG said:
    Jayden made it very clear at the end of last season that he wanted to make his loan move to us permanent, he even publicly stated it whilst being interviewed on TV. Nobody should have anything negative to say about him potentially using interest from other clubs to get a better deal for himself from us, he would be mad not to have done so imo. The guy is a fantastic addition for us and I'm sure will become a Charlton favorite, I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals for us this season if he stays injury free and from what I have seen he has the perfect attitude to fit right in with the club ethos
    I don't think that's in question, but if the Pompey Chairman is to be believed they had everything agreed & at the last minute he chose us. Now, if he was that enamoured & taken by being here last season why would he be about to sign for another club, especially if he'd already agreed terms with us last month. Ok, so he wants to hear what they have to offer - I have no problem with that. But the article seems to say that he was about to sign for Pompey & did a U-turn & joined us last minute. 

It might all just be trying to squeeze an extra £500per week from us......but that doesnt bode well if we are close to losing a player who had already played here & seemed wanted to come back. Heaven help us when we are trying to tempt a player who hasn't any affinity to us..... 
    think your last paragraph is spot on. He was using Pompey to squeeze extra out of us. If we hadn’t budged he might have still signed anyway. I think he would have. He seemed to like it here, had checked out houses, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc. And Pompey couldn’t have wanted him that much if they were not prepared to match our terms. We’ve got a decent player, be happy about it.
    I am happy about it......but signing Stockley was supposed to be one if the easiest deals to get done.

If we had trouble securing his services then God forbid what we problems we are going to come up against when we are in a real dogfight with clubs like Wigan & Sunderland.
    It might not be as big an issue as we may fear with certain players.

If they are already based in the south east, family commitments, etc they may well prefer Charlton rather than uprooting to go up north.
    Even Lyle Taylor chose us over Sunderland, it was reported - despite Sunderland apparently offering him a higher wage.

It seems obvious that both Wigan and Sunderland are serious about rebuilding for a promotion assault.
    But then we've been told Charlton are just as ambitious and committed to winning promotion.

The buzz will be on the grapevine that we've great team spirit plus the Adkins factor - and that Charlton is a rewarding place to play your football.
    We needn't underestimate how attractive we are to the right players.

• Oggy Red said:
    Rothko said:
    Yann was Yann, a very special footballer who we were lucky to have, but Stockley has the potential to be a fan’s favourite, but no one will be another Yann, the beautiful French son of a gun 
    That's a bit like telling a Scotsman he's English.
    But you can tell him he's British!

Yann had told us before that he was Breton first, French second.

And no, I'm not splitting hairs. Like the Scots, the Bretons are passionate about their own separate identity. :wink:

Chips on their shoulders yer mean?
  • AndyG said:

I am happy about it......but signing Stockley was supposed to be one if the easiest deals to get done. If we had trouble securing his services then God forbid what we problems we are going to come up against when we are in a real dogfight with clubs like Wigan & Sunderland.
    But why should we worry about a dogfight with Wigan or Sunderland?
    Unless they offer better terms, Wigan has nothing and Sunderland have a fanbase (with failure stamped on their foreheads  :):smile:
    Lyle Taylor chose us over them, for example.
    (So did Tommy for that matter)
  • Stockley Agent, Jonathan Fortune also has Oztumer and Davison. Also gave us on loan from Arsenal Matt Smith !!!!
    Also as mentioned before Vennings and Jaiyesimi. Just 1 phone call easy.
    The  same agents crop up all the time with Charlton.
  • edited June 2021
    Well we got Jayden signed up, be a real shame if we lose Aneke... the partnership was beginning to form towards the end. 

Comments like this are concerning:
    “At one point it did look like it would collapse with Charlton. It was ebbing and flowing.”
  • Goldstone !!  I hope his finds some back roads when the M25 is blocked & traffic is coming off at J6, along the A25 and snarling up Westerham & Sevenoaks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Well we got Jayden signed up, be a real shame if we lose Aneke... the partnership was beginning to form towards the end. 

Comments like this are concerning:
    “At one point it did look like it would collapse with Charlton. It was ebbing and flowing.”
    Agree completely especially with the quoted bit.
  • Dave2l said:
    I've only seen 45mins of this centre forward and rate him.

He's got 46 games to be an absolute pain in the backside for our opponents.

Young English Yann potential
    He's a warrior and giving him the armband is a great move
  • We're going to be screwed if he gets injured. Our whole gameplan revolves around him up top. 
  • Dave2l said:
    I've only seen 45mins of this centre forward and rate him.

He's got 46 games to be an absolute pain in the backside for our opponents.

Young English Yann potential
    I love the comparison - he can really lead the line well and battle for every ball. 

He’ll never be quite as good as Yann with his feet but he’s better at it than people give credit.
  • I think I've made it clear I'm a big stockley fan from previous posts and am confident he will give us 100% again this season.

Hopefully he wins those around that call him a donkey or dont work hard enough this season.
  • Worked his socks off today

Not a dig @ Dazzler who I think has mentioned his laziness to track back in the past

But thought his work rate was well on top today
  • Hes a massive player for us in both the oppositions box and our own.
    Very good point. He was on the end of most of Sheff Wed corners today.
  • Can't fault his effort - he must be exhausted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely love him. What a player 
  • Best defender on the pitch today. 
  • I thought he looked to control the ball and hold it up more than last season when he was often looking to flick it on with his head. Hope he can keep that up, he looks a better player for it.
  • edited August 2021
    Worked his socks off today

Not a dig @ Dazzler who I think has mentioned his laziness to track back in the past

But thought his work rate was well on top today
    He was a well deserved MoTM today. Was bloody everywhere. His fitness has come on a lot over Summer, but even as the season drew to a close it was clear he was doing more and more of the bits he had previously not. 

Fantastic performance could have been capped with a goal if he had been a tiny bit more composed and lasted the full 100 minutes too. 
  • Stockley is a leader and could be a talisman signing now Nigel Adkins realizes there needs to be fewer yards between Conor and Jayden.
    Plus support from Elliott Lee in the attacking midfield role and with DJ getting into the box as well we should at least create more chances and shots on target.
    On target and goals don't always correlate.
    Still think we will miss the power house man from the bench Chuks, but he has moved on and we have to have more goals from the other Midfielders and wingers and Let's call him a forward because he is never a winger, Conor Washington.

Charlie Kirk has had a slow start but will improve even though he looks lightweight when out of possession.

• Last year even without the fans you could see his passion. 

Think (if he continues to score goals obviously) he has every chance of becoming a club legend. 
  • edited August 2021
    He was unreal on Saturday imo, best player on the pitch comfortably, his runs were very clever and if we had a good passer of the ball he would have been through on goal a fair few times.

really want him to have a bit more of a unique song, what about ‘Captain Stockley, Captain Stockley’ to the tune of Captain Scarlet 
  • edited October 2021
    I do like a non moody Stockley. I think the moaning came from dropping down a league, being given captaincy, playing in a shit team, receiving absolutely awful service. He let all the above affect him possibly more than he'd have thought. Well done Josh for your impact.