Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The dangers of fast food

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    But plenty of people eat them every day, that is what the debate is about.
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
    Nobody on this thread is saying any different, most if not all people above including myself have said the odd takeaway every now and again does you no harm. However as we all know there are other issues associated with the subject such as obesity, strokes, heart conditions etc for those that use takeaways as the "norm" rather than a treat.

Its a discussion that has peaked a bit of interest, nobody is saying ban takeaways for good. 

• Options
    People live their life but once.   They will smoke, drink and take drugs. 

All far worse than a Big Mac.

• Options
    supaclive said:

I disagree, I would say obesity in the future will impact equally, if not more so on the NHS than alcohol, nicotine & drug addiction. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I wouldn't eat one and the way their marketing is aimed at kids to pester the f*** out of their parents is disgusting, just like other adverts aimed at kids.  I think we clearly could eat better and obesity is clearly at epidemic proportions.

However I think all you've done here is get people's backs up.

Here's a story.

Someone I know who I was close with...gave me a patronising annoying few words about it. Maybe about 4/5 years ago now. She is right though and I hope she is sticking with it.

No one is in the wrong here.

I am genuinely sorry if I have actually got on anyone's nerves.

It really wasn't intended to be how it probably sounds. I am not random knobhead Jamie Oliver. 

Your life is none of my business.

Just trying to vaguely raise general awareness on it and send out reminders. 

I just think it's important.
    But do you really think there are any adults who aren’t aware? Did you honestly expect anyone to read your post and change their outlook or find something revolutionary in your post that they had never considered before?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
    TBF I didnt read anyone saying you shouldnt be allowed to eat it...
    Me neither...
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I found heroin to be excellent for weight management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Nobody on this thread is saying any different, most if not all people above including myself have said the odd takeaway every now and again does you no harm. However as we all know there are other issues associated with the subject such as obesity, strokes, heart conditions etc for those that use takeaways as the "norm" rather than a treat.

Its a discussion that has peaked a bit of interest, nobody is saying ban takeaways for good. 

It's not just takeaways that are unhealthy it's also cheap processed food. Diabetes and the associated health risks will ultimately sink the NHS - I spent time working on vascular wards and you see where it all leads.

I have no idea how you persuade some people to eat healthily. Not everyone wants to take responsibility for their health.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I agree about the dangers.

I mean, just look at the picture below:

Anyone could trip over that.
  • Options
    There’s nothing worse than food and drink snobs. What I eat has got fuck all to do with you. 
    Typical McDonalds merchant
  • Options
    I don't think the concept of fast food is ever going to end.

It's too easy and too much of a quick fix

In about 2 or 3 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if I order a Macdonalds.

Just a step backwards though. 

Our body doesn't want it.

We are animals that prefer to make an effort and we want to be useful.

We don't want to rely on heavily processed addictive food.

Obese people are not happy. They are struggling.

They are probably internally going through hell and they can't stop.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

It's not just takeaways that are unhealthy it's also cheap processed food. Diabetes and the associated health risks will ultimately sink the NHS - I spent time working on vascular wards and you see where it all leads.

I have no idea how you persuade some people to eat healthily. Not everyone wants to take responsibility for their health.
    Maybe the persuasion could start at school with nutrition and health replacing religious studies.
  • Options
    There’s nothing worse than food and drink snobs. What I eat has got fuck all to do with you. 

Pretty hyperbolic statement that. I can think of a few things way worse than someone offering an opinion on what someone eats - paedophilia, genocide, FGM, domestic abuse, being a Palace fan...............
    Fuck me, calm down....

Ah, the problem of interpreting emotion through the written word. In my head my response was very deadpan. That retort said to your face over a pint would’ve raised a smile from you, no doubt.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Are we? I would say the natural human condition is laziness and we only make an effort when we have no choice!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dave2l said:

Not sure you can lump all fatties in one homogeneous group of being 'Unhappy, struggling and with additional internal struggles'.

Some of the happiest people I've known have been on the large side. Genuinely.
  • Options
    Asda less than 5% steak mince.  £4:89 a kilo so you can get 5 quarter pounders.  Some pickles and cheap burger buns.  Lets say £1.30 per burger.  However getting a McDs, like any takeaway, is not so much about the food but the perception of it as a treat or fun.  

We make our own curries now after we moved to an area where the local takeaways are a bit crap and really put work into finding out how they do it in good Indian restaurants.  Here's a good place to start.
    https://glebekitchen.com/indian/

We found a youtube video for Indian music of the kind you might hear in a restaurant and had some bottles of chilled beer and got some of the little steel dishes they serve it up in.  All a  bit tongue in cheek but made an event out of it.

Ruined takeaways for us because what we make now is as good as you can get.

Moving to a house 5 miles from the nearest takeaway ruined it for us! Just Eat or Deliveroo won't deliver either.

Probably a good thing though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Asda less than 5% steak mince.  £4:89 a kilo so you can get 5 quarter pounders.  Some pickles and cheap burger buns.  Lets say £1.30 per burger.  However getting a McDs, like any takeaway, is not so much about the food but the perception of it as a treat or fun.  

We make our own curries now after we moved to an area where the local takeaways are a bit crap and really put work into finding out how they do it in good Indian restaurants.  Here's a good place to start.

We found a youtube video for Indian music of the kind you might hear in a restaurant and had some bottles of chilled beer and got some of the little steel dishes they serve it up in.  All a  bit tongue in cheek but made an event out of it.

This was a big revelation for me and I've since made better curries than any local takeaway I've had.

But, it also demonstrated how bad curries are for you. The amount of oil that goes into the base is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

This was a big revelation for me and I've since made better curries than any local takeaway I've had.

But, it also demonstrated how bad curries are for you. The amount of oil that goes into the base is ridiculous.
    I know!  I  drop it down a bit (prob 50% less) and caramelize the onions before I blend them - I haven't found it makes much difference and you don't need to spend an hour and a half boiling up onions.

I always marinade the chicken overnight in yoghurt, garlic/ginger paste and turmeric powder or whatever spices you use.  Then I grill it till nearly done in a pan and pour the whole lot into the sauce.  
  • Options

There’s two curry houses in my small town and their curries are all gravy and no substance. At least with making my own I can put as much veg in them as I like and not have to swim through the base to find a couple of chickpeas and the odd mushroom.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Maybe the persuasion could start at school with nutrition and health replacing religious studies.
    If parents won't cook then what do you do? Overweight parents invariably have overweight kids and don't give much thought to the long term health consequences. A bad diet like smoking can do plenty of damage.

The impact on the NHS will hit all of us as Type 2 diabetes rise with all the associated health risks. I used to do therapy work with amputees many of whom had it resulting from poor circulation caused by Type 2 diabetes. You also up your odds of heart disease, vascular dementia etc.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

If parents won't cook then what do you do? Overweight parents invariably have overweight kids and don't give much thought to the long term health consequences. A bad diet like smoking can do plenty of damage.

The impact on the NHS will hit all of us as Type 2 diabetes rise with all the associated health risks. I used to do therapy work with amputees many of whom had it resulting from poor circulation caused by Type 2 diabetes. You also up your odds of heart disease, vascular dementia etc.

There’s nothing sadder than seeing obese parents waddling along with obese children in tow.

Well, maybe paedophilia, genocide, FGM, domestic violence, being a Palace fan but you get my drift.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Not sure you can lump all fatties in one homogeneous group of being 'Unhappy, struggling and with additional internal struggles'.

Some of the happiest people I've known have been on the large side. Genuinely.
    Now I know why your initials are BBW  ;)
  • Options
    I will have the odd McDonalds for convenience but not as a treat. KFC can be a rare treat as it actually tastes good. I think a McDonalds burger is tasteless in the extreme and relies on the sauce. Also when you see a Big Mac on an advert it is like it is floating on air. When you buy one it is often like Susan Boyle has sat on it, with lettuce everywhere in the box and cheese stuck to the sides. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

If you don't know how to shop and aren't confident to cook even basics, if you don't see the kitchen as an enjoyable place to be it's not surprising.  Not to hand over all the responsibility but we have been inundated with messages that quick and easy is the way to go with food, and sugar and fat stimulation adds to that - our brains love the neurotrasnmitters that get produced in response to that combination and good intentions are overwhelmed by short term reward. 
  • Options

Going a bit off topic:

Decent burgers require a higher fat content than that. Get yourself some chuck steak from the butchers and invest in a decent mincer, or just go with a decent knife to mince it up. Thank me later. Anything less than about 10% fat will result in dry burgers.

Also, as a top tip, steam the burgers under a cloche with a little water when and if you add cheese.

For curries, grab a copy of Atul Kochhars Indian Essence book. Highly recommended.