Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The dangers of fast food

Comments

• Options
    I will have the odd McDonalds for convenience but not as a treat. KFC can be a rare treat as it actually tastes good. I think a McDonalds burger is tasteless in the extreme and relies on the sauce. Also when you see a Big Mac on an advert it is like it is floating on air. When you buy one it is often like Susan Boyle has sat on it, with lettuce everywhere in the box and cheese stuck to the sides. 
    A lot of processed food is heavily dependent on sugar and salt - once you get used to it then it can become a bit addictive. Sugary drinks just add to the problem.

Some of the health problems surfacing in younger children from poor diet are a bit depressing.
  • Options
    Asda less than 5% steak mince.  £4:89 a kilo so you can get 5 quarter pounders.  Some pickles and cheap burger buns.  Lets say £1.30 per burger.  However getting a McDs, like any takeaway, is not so much about the food but the perception of it as a treat or fun.  

Going a bit off topic:

We make our own curries now after we moved to an area where the local takeaways are a bit crap and really put work into finding out how they do it in good Indian restaurants.  Here's a good place to start.
    https://glebekitchen.com/indian/

We found a youtube video for Indian music of the kind you might hear in a restaurant and had some bottles of chilled beer and got some of the little steel dishes they serve it up in.  All a  bit tongue in cheek but made an event out of it.

Ruined takeaways for us because what we make now is as good as you can get.

Decent burgers require a higher fat content than that. Get yourself some chuck steak from the butchers and invest in a decent mincer, or just go with a decent knife to mince it up. Thank me later. Anything less than about 10% fat will result in dry burgers.

Also, as a top tip, steam the burgers under a cloche with a little water when and if you add cheese.

For curries, grab a copy of Atul Kochhars Indian Essence book. Highly recommended.
    I'll have a look at that.  We use this too:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-Indian-Cookery-Course-by-Monisha-Bharadwaj-Gareth-Morgans-photographer-expression/9780857833280

My step son did her one day cookery course in 2019 and he is now the curry king in our family...we've got quite competitive about it.
  • Options
    I will have the odd McDonalds for convenience but not as a treat. KFC can be a rare treat as it actually tastes good. I think a McDonalds burger is tasteless in the extreme and relies on the sauce. Also when you see a Big Mac on an advert it is like it is floating on air. When you buy one it is often like Susan Boyle has sat on it, with lettuce everywhere in the box and cheese stuck to the sides. 
    A lot of processed food is heavily dependent on sugar and salt - once you get used to it then it can become a bit addictive. Sugary drinks just add to the problem.

Some of the health problems surfacing in younger children from poor diet are a bit depressing.

It really is. We need to sort it out.

It effects mental health.

"We are what we eat"!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    But plenty of people eat them every day, that is what the debate is about.
    Over the years I've noticed when watching English football matches that (it seems) there are many overweighted people in the crowd, a significantly higher proportion than in countries like China, Japan or Korea. Sometimes I wonder if it is the genes or the food? Or maybe both? If a lot of people in the UK do eat KFC etc. every day as you point out, then I guess it's more the food than the genes' problem.

Stopped eating Chinese food about 4 or 5 years ago because of their appalling abuse of animals. Don’t particularly miss it.
    No doubt there's appaulling abuse of animals here. My mum just told me a news report she had read today and I can't even find the English words to describe how inhuman it is. But not everything we eat comes from that kind of process. Besides, we probably eat more vegetables, fruit and other non-meat food than people in the West do. By the way, I don't think Chinese food processed and sold in the UK has anything to do with animal abuse?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
    Nobody on this thread is saying any different, most if not all people above including myself have said the odd takeaway every now and again does you no harm. However as we all know there are other issues associated with the subject such as obesity, strokes, heart conditions etc for those that use takeaways as the "norm" rather than a treat.

Its a discussion that has peaked a bit of interest, nobody is saying ban takeaways for good. 

It's not just takeaways that are unhealthy it's also cheap processed food. Diabetes and the associated health risks will ultimately sink the NHS - I spent time working on vascular wards and you see where it all leads.

I have no idea how you persuade some people to eat healthily. Not everyone wants to take responsibility for their health.
    Agreed about the cheap processed stuff but wanted to unpick this a bit - for sure some people are just going to shove anything in with no thought about what it's doing to their bodies. But for some people their choices are limited - through lack of money, lack of shops selling anything any good, lack of knowledge of what to do with ingredients. A lot of folk living in B&Bs are lucky if they have a microwave and a kettle, so ready meals and pot noodles become meals (and these things genuinely are a lot more expensive than buying ingredients and cooking). 

During the war, there were "British restaurants" set up in towns and cities so that people could get cooked food with all the privations of the war going on and it meant that there were economies of scale for the cooking. There have been attempts to do similar with school canteens (particularly after the turkey twizzler stuff in the early 2000s) but it comes down to cost and preferences. Most councils are always going to go for the lowest bidder (as we've seen from the school lunch parcels) and doing something properly costs. As well as that, we're happy to let crappy takeaways open next to schools so kids can spend their lunch money on chicken and fries. 
  • Options
    Asda less than 5% steak mince.  £4:89 a kilo so you can get 5 quarter pounders.  Some pickles and cheap burger buns.  Lets say £1.30 per burger.  However getting a McDs, like any takeaway, is not so much about the food but the perception of it as a treat or fun.  

Going a bit off topic:

We make our own curries now after we moved to an area where the local takeaways are a bit crap and really put work into finding out how they do it in good Indian restaurants.  Here's a good place to start.

We found a youtube video for Indian music of the kind you might hear in a restaurant and had some bottles of chilled beer and got some of the little steel dishes they serve it up in.  All a  bit tongue in cheek but made an event out of it.

Decent burgers require a higher fat content than that. Get yourself some chuck steak from the butchers and invest in a decent mincer, or just go with a decent knife to mince it up. Thank me later. Anything less than about 10% fat will result in dry burgers.

Also, as a top tip, steam the burgers under a cloche with a little water when and if you add cheese.

For curries, grab a copy of Atul Kochhars Indian Essence book. Highly recommended.
    I'll have a look at that.  We use this too:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-Indian-Cookery-Course-by-Monisha-Bharadwaj-Gareth-Morgans-photographer-expression/9780857833280

My step son did her one day cookery course in 2019 and he is now the curry king in our family...we've got quite competitive about it.
    Consider it ordered, thanks.

I'm the cook on our house. If I didn't cook then the kids' diet would consist of a choice between chicken nuggets, Super Noodles, turkey animal shapes, fish fingers and the like, with the odd tin of beans chucked in for good measure. All served with chips or potato waffles.

Thanks to daddy they instead get a proper chicken broth with ramen noodles, veg and a boiled egg instead of super noodles. Proper chicken nuggets coated in panko breadcrumbs instead of frozen ones.

The Instant-Pot I bought a couple of years back was/is a game changer. It does everything and massively cuts down on washing up as well. Whack the ingredients in before bed and wake up to a perfect lunch that you then set to the keep warm function so it keeps for a few hours until you want it.
  • Options

Going a bit off topic:

We do the same for Indian. Other than the naans & poppadums, we cook our own, and have it with ice cold Cobra. 

We also get our Alexa to play Indian music whilst eating.

I received a membership to "The Spicery" as part of a Christmas present. We already made our own curries but this is another level. 

You obviously have to buy your own fresh ingredients however you get sent the spices, herbs, menu and a history of the dish.

https://www.thespicery.com/
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

It really is. We need to sort it out.

It effects mental health.

"We are what we eat"!
    I don't see how you can change attitudes - plenty of health education is being done but it seems to have little effect.

Food manufacturers churn this food out and people want to eat it - the more sugar and salt there is in your food the harder it is to give it up. There has been far more of a focus on fat than sugar but this is changing.

We have normalised being overweight without acknowledging some of the health problems.

No sign of obesity rates reversing.
  • Options
    I wonder if anybody else ever heard this. It seemed true at the time, but kind of unbelievable if that makes sense.
    Anyway I once heard about feckless (?) parents of babies going on to solids, gathering up their Macdonald's leftovers, pureeing it in a chopping mixing machine, and feeding that reduced product to their babies.
    The notion was that Macdonald's describe themselves as a 'restaurant' that prepared 'meals' and there ads were all about wholesomeness with pure animals 'best bits', lovely bread, lettuce floating down to join vibrant tomatoes and such like.
    Ignorant young parents would feel they were doing a good job, saving money, and reducing waste by pureeing those leftovers.
    Has anybody else ever heard this, or is it certainly an urban myth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Over the years I've noticed when watching English football matches that (it seems) there are many overweighted people in the crowd, a significantly higher proportion than in countries like China, Japan or Korea. Sometimes I wonder if it is the genes or the food? Or maybe both? If a lot of people in the UK do eat KFC etc. every day as you point out, then I guess it's more the food than the genes' problem.

Stopped eating Chinese food about 4 or 5 years ago because of their appalling abuse of animals. Don’t particularly miss it.
    No doubt there's appaulling abuse of animals here. My mum just told me a news report she had read today and I can't even find the English words to describe how inhuman it is. But not everything we eat comes from that kind of process. Besides, we probably eat more vegetables, fruit and other non-meat food than people in the West do. By the way, I don't think Chinese food processed and sold in the UK has anything to do with animal abuse?
    A lot of Chinese food in the UK has far too much sugar and monosodium glutamate in it - I can't imagine it's the same in China.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I know it hasn't been a problem for a while but the fast food the club serves up is absolute garbage. It pisses me off that the club thinks it's ok to offer us and our kids the shit that they sell. Rant over.
  • Options
    A quick Google search brings back two stories in the media about parents pureeing fast food. No direct link to McDonalds and nothing to do with believing anything is wholesome. More to do with being hard up (one case) and lazy (in the other).
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

A lot of Chinese food in the UK has far too much sugar and monosodium glutamate in it - I can't imagine it's the same in China.
    Not strictly true. China uses MSG in a lot of cooking, the production of sweets and also in medicine.

China accounts for approximately 55% of the globes consumption of MSG.
  • Options
    I know it hasn't been a problem for a while but the fast food the club serves up is absolute garbage. It pisses me off that the club thinks it's ok to offer us and our kids the shit that they sell. Rant over.
    You can probably count on one hand the amount of football grounds in the country that offer decent food once inside. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Part of the problem is that a lot of fans like this junk. It has become a cultural thing. I have been to some matches in Italy and the food you can get there is pretty decent. My son has been to Germany to watch some games and said the food there is excellent too.
  • Options
    Part of the problem is that a lot of fans like this junk. It has become a cultural thing. I have been to some matches in Italy and the food you can get there is pretty decent. My son has been to Germany to watch some games and said the food there is excellent too.
    Don't know how much better it can get with the facilities available, there is good food served in newer Premier League grounds, like Brighton, Spurs and Man City 
  • Options
    I recall quite a few years back we sold curries etc... Not for long, I think it was an experiment. I do recall having one and it was ok ish.
  • Options

The dangers of fast food:

1) catching/intercepting it
    2) indigestion from trying to keep up
  • Options
    I recall quite a few years back we sold curries etc... Not for long, I think it was an experiment. I do recall having one and it was ok ish.
    At the start of the Delaware North contract there was some decent options, including the street food market outside the Covered End, but that seems a long time ago 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to the Reading away game last season and recall they had decent food. 
  • Options
    Totally disagree.

Its not for you to say what I can or can not eat.

I love  a McDonalds
    I love fish & chips 
    I love a kebab
    I love a pizza

Usually only have one of  the above once a week or once every 10 days or so. 

My money, my body, my choice.

We live in a democracy not a dictatorship.

1. On behalf of the animals:

'My body, my choice.'

2. Since last March we have been served a lesson on the limits to our freedoms that this so called democracy allows.

Eat ethically, save lives.
  • Options

Going a bit off topic:

Have you papered the lounge with flock wallpaper to be even more authentic?
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

Not strictly true. China uses MSG in a lot of cooking, the production of sweets and also in medicine.

Yes we definitely overuse MSG. But not sugar. I've bought snack food imported from Italy and Belgium before - I can't remember what they are called, a bit like biscuits - and they tasted waaaay too sugary for my liking.

If you go out to eat here in China, you'll find that the food always has more salt, MSG, hot peppers, and tastes much more greasy than what you eat at home. So the best way to have a healthy diet is cook by ourselves.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

Yes we definitely overuse MSG. But not sugar. I've bought snack food imported from Italy and Belgium before - I can't remember what they are called, a bit like biscuits - and they tasted waaaay too sugary for my liking.

If you go out to eat here in China, you'll find that the food always has more salt, MSG, hot peppers, and tastes much more greasy than what you eat at home. So the best way to have a healthy diet is cook by ourselves.
    Most Chinese food in restaurants in the UK seems to have too much salt and MSG for me - there are a few good restaurants.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

One of my best pals' wife is Chinese and she's immense when it comes to cooking proper, home-made, Chinese food. Not a drop of MSG in sight. Said she's had to, effectively, wean herself off of using it.

Never tasted duck as good as she makes it. Also, trying jellyfish for the first time was an eye opener, and not in a bad way.
  • Options
    reading this thread has really made me fancy a Bacon Double Cheeseburger now ;)

on a more serious note, decent local Burger Delivery company Eat Meat Cheese Repeat, had a couple of deliveries from them since last March - amazing and highly recommend 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

Most Chinese food in restaurants in the UK seems to have too much salt and MSG for me - there are a few good restaurants.
    Actually it's the same for me here. Sometimes I crave for water after having eaten at a restaurant.

Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:

One of my best pals' wife is Chinese and she's immense when it comes to cooking proper, home-made, Chinese food. Not a drop of MSG in sight. Said she's had to, effectively, wean herself off of using it.

Never tasted duck as good as she makes it. Also, trying jellyfish for the first time was an eye opener, and not in a bad way.
    That's very good. I live with my parents and my mum usually does the cooking. These days she seldom uses MSG either.

I like jellyfish! It's a very common cold dish/side dish here.