Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The dangers of fast food

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    @AddickUpNorth

Whilst I think your heart is in the right place, I think you need to remember this is a divisive topic. Coming across so strong on an online platform probably won’t do you many favours.

I am vegan, I would never eat meat again, but I think there does have to be a level of respect towards other people’s values.

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own planet.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deals superbly with this subject matter.

I don’t think it’s right to kill the fast food industry. But we definitely need to question it’s sustainability.

With respect @Laddick01 I think I’m well known enough on this beautiful forum that anyone who reads my comments on the dedicated vegan thread knows that I am far from a pushy, judgemental vegan that can give the lifestyle a bad name. What I wrote in response to Dave21 was typed with a smile on my face with no sense of better-than-thouness. Read the entire thread and you’ll find that I haven’t called for the end of the (meatcentric) fast food industry no matter the damage I believe intensive animal agriculture does to our planet. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dave2l said:
    I will have the odd McDonalds for convenience but not as a treat. KFC can be a rare treat as it actually tastes good. I think a McDonalds burger is tasteless in the extreme and relies on the sauce. Also when you see a Big Mac on an advert it is like it is floating on air. When you buy one it is often like Susan Boyle has sat on it, with lettuce everywhere in the box and cheese stuck to the sides. 
    A lot of processed food is heavily dependent on sugar and salt - once you get used to it then it can become a bit addictive. Sugary drinks just add to the problem.

Some of the health problems surfacing in younger children from poor diet are a bit depressing.

It really is. We need to sort it out.

It effects mental health.

"We are what we eat"!
    Tried horse salami once.... Now i'm hung like one. Problem being it was from a mare. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    @AddickUpNorth

Whilst I think your heart is in the right place, I think you need to remember this is a divisive topic. Coming across so strong on an online platform probably won’t do you many favours.

I am vegan, I would never eat meat again, but I think there does have to be a level of respect towards other people’s values.

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own planet.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deals superbly with this subject matter.

I don’t think it’s right to kill the fast food industry. But we definitely need to question it’s sustainability.

With respect @Laddick01 I think I’m well known enough on this beautiful forum that anyone who reads my comments on the dedicated vegan thread knows that I am far from a pushy, judgemental vegan that can give the lifestyle a bad name. What I wrote in response to Dave21 was typed with a smile on my face with no sense of better-than-thouness. Read the entire thread and you’ll find that I haven’t called for the end of the (meatcentric) fast food industry no matter the damage I believe intensive animal agriculture does to our planet. 
    Offered some great advice to me on the Vegan thread, as have some others on here. 

I am not a vegan, won't ever be a vegan, but thanks to helpful posters on here I've found reducing my use of animal products enjoyable. 

No chance I'll ever go back to regularly eating unhealthy fast food, meat or vegan. It's just shit that poisons the body and mind with chemicals, sugar and fats which trick your dopamine receptors. 

Healthy fast food though... Now that can be fun. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    What's a lot more healthy that can be churned out at the rate the current fast food can, for the same cost price, that is just as appealing to the masses?
    Most of the plant based meal offerings are healthier. Certainly not all. 

Maybe not as appealing at first but if you want something a bit naughty that tastes very nice and doesn't involve animals I recommend the 'No Meat Company' products. Yet to have anything I haven't enjoyed. 

I'll try that, thanks.  Any particular favourites?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Wilma said:
    I can't remember the last time I ate McDonalds but really craving a Big Mac now! 

The big Mac won't fill you up.

Your hunger will rapidly decrease. So it will feel like a nice therapeutic relief in your mind.

But then your hunger will rapidly increase again. Mostly likely after a vague stomach ache.
    It's part of the problem.

If you eat salmon potatoes and peas. Your hunger will gradually narrow.

And it will very gradually increase (in more time) afterwards.

It's partly why fast food is a revolving door for over weight people. It's dangerous.
    I don't like salmon, so that would be more likely to give me a stomach ache. 

I don't generally eat take-away food. But I will if I want to. 

(Still craving a Big Mac!)
  • Options
    You are not what you eat!

You are all you create, all you destroy and all you love and everyone you meet.

Doesn't matter a fck what you eat!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    What's a lot more healthy that can be churned out at the rate the current fast food can, for the same cost price, that is just as appealing to the masses?

Maybe not as appealing at first but if you want something a bit naughty that tastes very nice and doesn't involve animals I recommend the 'No Meat Company' products. Yet to have anything I haven't enjoyed. 

Don't think I've tried all of their meat replacements as yet, but the ones I have:

No Lamb Koftas
    No Bull Mushroom Steaks (Don't taste meaty, but enjoyable nonetheless, there are better steak alts out there)
    No Bull Steak Burgers (Really quite tasty)
    No Bull Teriyaki strips really nice for wraps etc
    No Chick Pieces - Great, I love chicken and I really love these. 
    No Bull Mince - Mix with a small teaspoon of marmite and it'll beat most beef minces for flavour. 
    No Chick Strips - Really good. 
    No Porkies Sausage rolls - As a rare treat, these are better than the Greggs much lauded vegan sausage rolls by some way (Most non-greggs vegan rolls are to be fair, but these taste like a proper sausage roll)

They've got loads more products though

Other good ones:

Salt & Pepper This isn't Chicken - Chicken style pieces - Really good.
    What the Cluck - Chicken style pieces - Also really good, great texture, small packs though and pricey. 

Biggest thing though is trying not to use alts and to make flavour just with the plant based ingredients.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:

Don't think I've tried all of their meat replacements as yet, but the ones I have:

No Lamb Koftas
    No Bull Mushroom Steaks (Don't taste meaty, but enjoyable nonetheless, there are better steak alts out there)
    No Bull Steak Burgers (Really quite tasty)
    No Bull Teriyaki strips really nice for wraps etc
    No Chick Pieces - Great, I love chicken and I really love these. 
    No Bull Mince - Mix with a small teaspoon of marmite and it'll beat most beef minces for flavour. 
    No Chick Strips - Really good. 
    No Porkies Sausage rolls - As a rare treat, these are better than the Greggs much lauded vegan sausage rolls by some way (Most non-greggs vegan rolls are to be fair, but these taste like a proper sausage roll)

They've got loads more products though

Other good ones:

Salt & Pepper This isn't Chicken - Chicken style pieces - Really good.
    What the Cluck - Chicken style pieces - Also really good, great texture, small packs though and pricey. 

Biggest thing though is trying not to use alts and to make flavour just with the plant based ingredients.  
    @Dazzler21 have you tried the vegan rolls from bakery at Morrison’s? They are by far the best veggie ‘sausage’ rolls I’ve eaten. 
  • Options
    Can't say I have, there's not a Morrisons near me, but will give it a go once Lockdown is over. 
  • Options
    Roasted spiced cauliflower steaks with puy lentils and a romesco sauce is a superb meal for vegans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I wonder if anybody else ever heard this. It seemed true at the time, but kind of unbelievable if that makes sense.
    Anyway I once heard about feckless (?) parents of babies going on to solids, gathering up their Macdonald's leftovers, pureeing it in a chopping mixing machine, and feeding that reduced product to their babies.
    The notion was that Macdonald's describe themselves as a 'restaurant' that prepared 'meals' and there ads were all about wholesomeness with pure animals 'best bits', lovely bread, lettuce floating down to join vibrant tomatoes and such like.
    Ignorant young parents would feel they were doing a good job, saving money, and reducing waste by pureeing those leftovers.
    Has anybody else ever heard this, or is it certainly an urban myth?
    I do this with my own McDonalds and inject it intravenously to avoid the hassle and effort of chewing.
  • Options
    Is that safe?
  • Options
    I was talking about the animals😊
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    But plenty of people eat them every day, that is what the debate is about.
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
    Nobody on this thread is saying any different, most if not all people above including myself have said the odd takeaway every now and again does you no harm. However as we all know there are other issues associated with the subject such as obesity, strokes, heart conditions etc for those that use takeaways as the "norm" rather than a treat.

Its a discussion that has peaked a bit of interest, nobody is saying ban takeaways for good. 

It's not just takeaways that are unhealthy it's also cheap processed food. Diabetes and the associated health risks will ultimately sink the NHS - I spent time working on vascular wards and you see where it all leads.

I have no idea how you persuade some people to eat healthily. Not everyone wants to take responsibility for their health.
    The trouble is when they become unhealthy they want someone else to be responsible.  
    We have to be made responsible for our actions in some way.  

Drug addicts, alcoholics...suffer from addiction that is likely to be hard to just suddenly withdraw from.

Personal responsibility is needed but addiction is of course definitely a psychological biological problem.

9/10, I don't think anyone would genuinely want to be a binge eater and end up becoming over weight.

Think of all the things you miss out on if you are beyond overweight. It just doesn't sound like much of a life and looks like it's not worth it.

Just sounds like psychological slavery. A trap you can't get out of.

Friends and family can possibly also suffer as they will care about that person.

I watched a video about an obese woman in her early 20s.

It was a tad heartbreaking to be fair. 

You know she wanted to stop...but she couldn't.

Her personal responsibility gets squashed. Her life just disappears.

• Options
    At this present time. I would currently actually quite like the idea of having a big tasty McDonald's burger with bacon in it.

Absolutely no way would I give in to it though.

As I now know the science behind the lust for something that will not actually do me any good. In any way shape or form.
  • Options
    i've been to the heart attack grill got spanked for not eating my burger
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Shinnie is everywhere threading balls through. 

How the frick did I end up back on this thread?
  • Options
    Roasted spiced cauliflower steaks with puy lentils and a romesco sauce is a superb meal for vegans.
    You are so posh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I gave up reading after this:
     They are addictive, dangerous and bad for the mind body and spirit.

it is no more addictive, dangerous or bad for the mind body and spirit than any other types of food, 
    Er, yes it is.  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-food-addiction-works
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    who doesn't love a Bacon Double Cheeseburger 
    Me, for one.  Sounds appalling.  Far too much fat and salt.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

it is no more addictive, dangerous or bad for the mind body and spirit than any other types of food, 

Great link. Explains it well and worth a read.

Simply just for general awareness.

Minimise seeing over weight people as lazy and greedy. That assumption is incorrect.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:

Minimise seeing over weight people as lazy and greedy. That assumption is incorrect.
    Gaining weight occurs because you eat more calories than you burn.

Losing weight is as a result of eating less calories than you burn.

Too overly simplify it, 
    Many overweight people are too greedy for their basal metabolic rate or too lazy for it or both.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:
    The stuffs without doubt not good for us. Should it be banned ? Of course not. Should it be regulated ? Definitely. We don’t need a smallish parade of shops having as many takeaways as you can currently find. Local councils should have the right to limit numbers. Personal choices are not always what’s good for us. We need a little help to do what’s best sometimes.

100%

Without taking this to an overly serious level..

We do often need help. No one is their own actual best mate.

"F*ck off I don't want any help"

A high number of typical likely responses.

It would obviously be a valid fair enough sort of response.

I would personally very happily and great-fully accept personal advice in regards to diet.

It might give me a good extra boot and improve motivation.

I'd take it more seriously.

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Is eating meat now a mortal sin?
    Eating pork is good for the soul. Probably the only meat that I can't, and won't, go without. Lamb a close second. Beef has tailed off, for me, and chicken is just a bit meh.
    bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:
    The stuffs without doubt not good for us. Should it be banned ? Of course not. Should it be regulated ? Definitely. We don’t need a smallish parade of shops having as many takeaways as you can currently find. Local councils should have the right to limit numbers. Personal choices are not always what’s good for us. We need a little help to do what’s best sometimes.

100%

I would personally very happily and great-fully accept personal advice in regards to diet.

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Eating pork is good for the soul. Probably the only meat that I can't, and won't, go without. Lamb a close second. Beef has tailed off, for me, and chicken is just a bit meh.
    Same for me, Beef was always my go too dish but it has dropped right off now. Pork cooked correctly is superb and I love a bit of tender lamb.  
    Have either of you had one of Gordon Ramsey's beef wellingtons? Simply divine. If not then once you have i'm sure beef would be right back on your list.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:

Too overly simplify it, 
    Many overweight people are too greedy for their basal metabolic rate or too lazy for it or both.

Dazzler21 said:
    Dave2l said:
    MrOneLung said:

Too overly simplify it, 

Your basically saying every living being has the exact same mindset and it can only be identified by the decisions we make. Greed, being one of them.

It's not as simple as that. 

The brain is complicated and runs all over the place. Everyone is different and with different problems they may naturally just have or it's due to particular life experiences added on.

Everyone must take responsibility but it's obviously definitely harder then it sounds. It is not a one dimensional problem.

It is in regards to a very unfortunate awful addiction.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Same for me, Beef was always my go too dish but it has dropped right off now. Pork cooked correctly is superb and I love a bit of tender lamb.  
    Have either of you had one of Gordon Ramsey's beef wellingtons? Simply divine. If not then once you have i'm sure beef would be right back on your list.
    Great call. Beef wellington is one beef dish that always gets an airing in our house as I love making it. I make it at least once a month.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    No, but I've tasted one of Jaimie Oliver's pork moccasins.