Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• Had the AZ jab on Friday. A dull ache in the arm aside all has been fine. I’m 60 btw. Like others I found it very well organised and straightforward the whole thing took about 10 minutes.
  • More than 20 million Brits have had a AZ jab (not all 25 million todate will have been AZ) and not a dicky bird about blood clots (and let’s face it, if there was even a sniff of it social media would have gone into overdrive) but as soon as its starts rolling out in the EU a couple of reports about blood clots and governments across the continent start pulling it.
  • The thromboembolic events are a complete non story. 
  • The thromboembolic events are a complete non story. 
    Then why do you think they are bringing them up?
  • stonemuse said:
    The thromboembolic events are a complete non story. 
    Then why do you think they are bringing them up?
    Somebody else to blame for the failure to roll out a quick and effective vaccine response in their respective countries ?

an opinion that if it’s cheap it can’t be good ?
  • I compare it with a lie, which like to a snowball, the longer it is rolled the greater it becomes.

Martin Luther 

• Ireland were pleading with the UK to let them have more of the AZ vacine the other day.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    More than 20 million Brits have had a AZ jab (not all 25 million todate will have been AZ) and not a dicky bird about blood clots (and let’s face it, if there was even a sniff of it social media would have gone into overdrive) but as soon as its starts rolling out in the EU a couple of reports about blood clots and governments across the continent start pulling it.
    Get your point, but actually it is 11 million not 20 million who have had the AZ here. There is talk about particular batches with which the blood clots have been associated, all of which have been administered in European countries not here. Since per head of the population there would be a number of people suffering blood clots anyway, it's reasonable to suggest that some of the AZ recipients over here will have had blood clots but that has gone unreported or, at least, not linked to the vaccine.
  • Curb_It said:
    Thanks Clive, will take a look.

I'm a few years shy don't you know young Clive... but I do keep checking the years. 
    @Curb_it it’s worth trying to book even though the website may specify a higher age range - that’s what we did.  I guess they just want to fill any vacant slots. 
  • The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine. 

Number of blood clot related events: 

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15 

These numbers are no higher than what is seen in the general population (no increased risk).
  • stonemuse said:
    The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine. 

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15 

These numbers are no higher than what is seen in the general population (no increased risk).
    What is this 'coronavirus good news' site? Who runs it? How authoritative is it? The fact that they report that only "over 10 million" doses have been administered when over 24 million have received the vaccine, suggests that their figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine that all these countries who are suspending use of the AZ vaccine are doing it lightly, so they must have genuine concerns. Having had the AZ vaccine myself and anticipating having the second dose soon, I very much hope that these concerns are put to rest. Merely putting fingers in ears and going 'nanananana it's just those silly Europeans' doesn't suit me, I want authoritative figures and, as with much of the information about the AZ vaccine from the very beginning, they are not forthcoming. 
  • Had it today in Madrid, no side effects so far.
    Had it in Bournemouth today...doesn't sound quite so exotic and cool...but so far so good on the side effects too. 
    Where did you have it BA?
  • Nadou said:
    stonemuse said:
    The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15 

What is this 'coronavirus good news' site? Who runs it? How authoritative is it? The fact that they report that only "over 10 million" doses have been administered when over 24 million have received the vaccine, suggests that their figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine that all these countries who are suspending use of the AZ vaccine are doing it lightly, so they must have genuine concerns. Having had the AZ vaccine myself and anticipating having the second dose soon, I very much hope that these concerns are put to rest. Merely putting fingers in ears and going 'nanananana it's just those silly Europeans' doesn't suit me, I want authoritative figures and, as with much of the information about the AZ vaccine from the very beginning, they are not forthcoming. 
    I think you'll find it says 10 million of each vaccine total 20 million plus.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Had it today in Madrid, no side effects so far.
    Had it in Bournemouth today...doesn't sound quite so exotic and cool...but so far so good on the side effects too. 
    Top of the arm?
  • edited March 2021
    Nadou said:
    stonemuse said:
    The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15 

I think you'll find it says 10 million of each vaccine total 20 million plus.
    Yes, you might be right. Inelegantly put, however, and allowing for misunderstanding. "10 million doses of each of the two vaccines" would have been clearer.  I'd still like to know what the site is and how trustworthy it is. Its very name sounds warning bells as to how balanced its viewpoint and information might be.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    cafcpolo said:
    Doctors surgery around the corner, Beaufort Rd. Not my usual practice though. The BIC seems to be for those booked through the nation system with certain GP surgeries working through the rest. 
  • cafcpolo said:
    Doctors surgery around the corner, Beaufort Rd. Not my usual practice though. The BIC seems to be for those booked through the nation system with certain GP surgeries working through the rest. 
    Same place my Mum went, not her usual practice either. Suspect I'll end up going there too then by the looks of it!
  • Nadou said:
    stonemuse said:
    The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine. 

Oxford = 13

Pfizer = 15 

The problem as I see it is they are doing it lightly.  Someone raises a scare, instead of responding authoritatively, they run scared and suspend the use.  If you look at the Norway figures, the incidence of blood clots in those who've had the AZ vaccine is about half what would be expected in a sample that size (2 per 100,000 instead of 3.7 per 100,000 if I remember correctly) so the narrative to counter the scaremongering could be 'having AZ halves your chance of a blood clot'.
  • Jints said:
    I'm 51 and have been trying my luck on  the NHS website every day for a week or two. Finally got a booking this morning for 27 March. Not sure the extent to which it depends on where you live but others in the 50-55 bracket may want to give it a try. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Had been checking for the last week but this has now worked for me aged 54 despite the front page still stating 55. Doesn’t work for a 49 year old though. 
  • Jints said:
    I'm 51 and have been trying my luck on  the NHS website every day for a week or two. Finally got a booking this morning for 27 March. Not sure the extent to which it depends on where you live but others in the 50-55 bracket may want to give it a try. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Had been checking for the last week but this has now worked for me aged 54 despite the front page still stating 55. Doesn’t work for a 49 year old though. 
    https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/find-out-where-you-are-in-the-uk-covid-vaccine-queue-with-our-brand-new-calculator/