Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• There is no evidence that drinking alcohol after a Covid-19 vaccine interferes with how it works, the UK's medicines regulator has said.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) was responding to social media reports that people should abstain from drinking for up to two weeks after a vaccine.

In January, advisers to the alcohol education charity Drinkaware, which is funded by the alcohol industry, said there was some evidence that drinking, especially regular heavy drinking, could interfere with the body's ability to build immunity in response to some vaccines.

But there is nothing in the patient information leaflets from the NHS or the vaccine manufacturers to suggest such a link.

A spokeswoman for the MHRA said: "There is currently no evidence that drinking alcohol interferes with the efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines.

"We would advise anyone concerned about this to talk to their healthcare professional."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56977099

• clive said:

There is no evidence that drinking alcohol after a Covid-19 vaccine interferes with how it works, the UK's medicines regulator has said.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) was responding to social media reports that people should abstain from drinking for up to two weeks after a vaccine.

In January, advisers to the alcohol education charity Drinkaware, which is funded by the alcohol industry, said there was some evidence that drinking, especially regular heavy drinking, could interfere with the body's ability to build immunity in response to some vaccines.

But there is nothing in the patient information leaflets from the NHS or the vaccine manufacturers to suggest such a link.

A spokeswoman for the MHRA said: "There is currently no evidence that drinking alcohol interferes with the efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines.

"We would advise anyone concerned about this to talk to their healthcare professional."

is in no way the same thing as "consuming alcohol does not interfere with..."

excessive alcohol consumption is well documented as impairing all manner of the body's regular function, immune response included
    alcohol's also highly toxic
    not getting pissed while on medication is just basic common sense
    if avoiding booze for a few days presents any sort of problem at all then one has a health issue entirely separate from the risk of Covid19
    no laughing matter
  • Mr Tatters had his 2nd jab yesterday and is fine apart from an achy shoulder and a bit of a rash on the inside of both arms. Anyone else had a rash as a side effect?
  • second jab at Gravesend this morning. Well organised and as with first no side effects at moment.
  • second jab at Gravesend this morning. Well organised and as with first no side effects at moment.
    Is it the Oxford one?.
  • I spoke just a bit too soon. Had my second on Saturday and was feeling completely fine until around 8pm last night (53 hours after the jab). Then extreme fatigue hit me and although I slept well I woke up with a thumping head and some aches and pains. Feeling a little better now.

No great drama but it does show that the side-effects may not be immediate. 
    Is it the Oxford one?.
    Yep.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Had my first AZ shot about 5 hours ago.  Arm feels a bit tight but other than that no side effects, yet. 
    Bloody freezing and aching now 
  • Yeah I found the shivers was the worst of the side effects for me. Same as with other vaccines I've had - was grim trying ro sleep, but fine the next morning 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    I spoke just a bit too soon. Had my second on Saturday and was feeling completely fine until around 8pm last night (53 hours after the jab). Then extreme fatigue hit me and although I slept well I woke up with a thumping head and some aches and pains. Feeling a little better now.

The worst shivers I had after my first jab were actually a week later!
  • bobmunro said:
    I spoke just a bit too soon. Had my second on Saturday and was feeling completely fine until around 8pm last night (53 hours after the jab). Then extreme fatigue hit me and although I slept well I woke up with a thumping head and some aches and pains. Feeling a little better now.

Interesting. Wife and I had jab Thursday. I had some issues that night, but nothing like the first. My wife was fine. 

On Sunday evening, and into Monday, we both had sore throat, blocked nose, a few aches ... all gone by last night. Might be coincidence, but who knows. 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:

There is no evidence that drinking alcohol after a Covid-19 vaccine interferes with how it works, the UK's medicines regulator has said.

excessive alcohol consumption is well documented as impairing all manner of the body's regular function, immune response included
    if avoiding booze for a few days presents any sort of problem at all then one has a health issue entirely separate from the risk of Covid19
    no laughing matter
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Had my first AZ shot about 5 hours ago.  Arm feels a bit tight but other than that no side effects, yet. 
    What did he say about not drinking after having the vaccine?
  • Second AZ tomorrow for Ms AA and me.  Wish me luck, I was so ill after the first one.
  • bobmunro said:

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

*makes note to self* arrange second jab for a Saturday morning on a Bank Holiday weekend, so the side effects only appear on the Tuesday morning and start to wear off late afternoon
  • Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:

no laughing matter
    Cafc43v3r said:

AddicksAddict said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:

no laughing matter
    Cafc43v3r said:

I have had both jabs and been fortunate to have no side effects. On both occasions the jabs were given by a doctor. I asked were there any do's or dont's , I was told just just carry on as normal
  • Second AZ tomorrow for Ms AA and me.  Wish me luck, I was so ill after the first one.

Good luck to both of you.
  • It was suggested in a newspaper this morning that the over 50s will be offered a 3rd jab in the autumn. Trials are on-going as to whether this will be a tweaked version to deal with new variants.

But they are saying it might be done at the same time as the flu jab. One in each arm. Can't say that I'm looking forward to that. It also seems to me that it opens up a route to mistakes being made:  getting two flu jabs instead of one of each for example.
  • edited May 2021
    cafcfan said:
    It was suggested in a newspaper this morning that the over 50s will be offered a 3rd jab in the autumn. Trials are on-going as to whether this will be a tweaked version to deal with new variants.

But they are saying it might be done at the same time as the flu jab. One in each arm. Can't say that I'm looking forward to that. It also seems to me that it opens up a route to mistakes being made:  getting two flu jabs instead of one of each for example.
    That's easy to fix, make sure you take a sharpie and write L on one arm and R on the other 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bloody freezing and aching now 
    God I felt awful last night, was cold and aching, this morning I feel like I have got a stinking hangover and Mike Tyson has punched me in the arm.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be OK.  Worth it though.  Hopefully I can see my parents soon, I haven't seen them for over a year! 
  • cafcfan said:
    It was suggested in a newspaper this morning that the over 50s will be offered a 3rd jab in the autumn. Trials are on-going as to whether this will be a tweaked version to deal with new variants.

When I had my second jab, they asked me if I had any other vaccination,, in the last week, they said  you had to leave  at least 7 days appart
  • Mr Tatters had his 2nd jab yesterday and is fine apart from an achy shoulder and a bit of a rash on the inside of both arms. Anyone else had a rash as a side effect?
    Yes, my wife had a rash after the 1st AZ jab, not had 2nd yet
  • edited May 2021
    cafcfan said:

When I had my second jab, they asked me if I had any other vaccination,, in the last week, they said  you had to leave  at least 7 days appart
    That’s certainly the current protocol but if expediency and the science shows it’s safe and ultimately beneficial to receive both flu and Covid-19 vaccines at the same time then that protocol will be changed.
  • HI DOCTOR NICK! 
  • cafcfan said:

I'll retain sufficient faith in my physician that he/she can pull one syringe from one, labelled, box, stick it one arm; then pull another syringe from a different, labelled, box and stick it in my other arm.  Not all their 6 years of university and training was invested in decadence and promiscuity.

As soon as I get to 50 I'll be queuing up for all the recommended inoculations.  I can't control how pestilent and irresponsible all you lot out there might be but I will protect myself from you with whatever means at my disposal.
  • cafcfan said:

That’s certainly the current protocol but if expediency and the science shows it’s safe and ultimately beneficial to receive both flu and Covid-19 vaccines at the same time then that protocol will be changed.
    Various 'holiday' jabs or courses of jabs come bundled, hep and diptheria to name but 2
    MMR is 3 together for youngsters.
    I certainly had a pneumonia jab alongside a flu jab some years back, one in each arm incidentally, on the working hypothesis that if I was a candidate for the flu jab then my immune system might need help if I ever caught pneumonia.
    Nurse proposed it at the time and she knows more about it than I do, so yes please, stick it in.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    cafcfan said:

Various 'holiday' jabs or courses of jabs come bundled, hep and diptheria to name but 2
    MMR is 3 together for youngsters.
    I certainly had a pneumonia jab alongside a flu jab some years back, one in each arm incidentally, on the working hypothesis that if I was a candidate for the flu jab then my immune system might need help if I ever caught pneumonia.
    Nurse proposed it at the time and she knows more about it than I do, so yes please, stick it in.
    I had 4 in one go once, 2 in each arm.  Not pleasent but less side effects than this one jab yesterday.