Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    BalladMan said:
    When will they start the under 45's?.
    I am 42 and got the notification from my GP yesterday, so its ramping up now.
    Whereabouts are you based? I have a friend who is 43 with asthma who is hoping to get one in Swanley ASAP.
    New Eltham, but doctors in Greenwich. It does seem Greenwich is slightly ahead of Kent borders based on anecdotal evidence.  

I would suggest to keep trying this site daily in order as it might offer a slightly earlier view (depending on area) https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

I presume your friend has spoken to GP as some of my family got it earlier (under 40s) due to chronic Asthma.
    Thanks - I'll get her onto it. She was meant to have one a while back but her doc said that although she'd been to hospital last year with an asthma attack she hadn't had to stay in overnight so didn't qualify!
    Sorry to hear that about your friend.  I am pretty certain the vast majority of over 40s will be done by mid-May to keep the timeline of end July, so not long to wait worst case. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:
    2 observations ( not based on any inside knowledge). 1 There seems to be increasing evidence that the vaccines are incredibly succesful at stopping both infection and contagion. But the Government is loath to bang the drum as they think we will all go wild and party if we know that. I think that it would be better to bang the drum in order to convince everybody to get vaccinated asap.
    2 They must have much more vaccine in stock than they have let on. April was supposed to be the slowdown month but half a million people have been vaccinated virtually every day. I expect this subterfuge was to distract  the EU etc from  trying to cut our supply.

It did slow down in the first half of April but is now ramping up.

Once everyone (end of July, maybe earlier) has been offered the vaccine then, and only then, they can introduce vaccine passports - that will be the best recruiting sergeant for almost full vaccine take-up.
    End of October. Vaccine passports can only be based on both doses otherwise there is no incentive to get the 2nd dose and get full protection.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:
    2 observations ( not based on any inside knowledge). 1 There seems to be increasing evidence that the vaccines are incredibly succesful at stopping both infection and contagion. But the Government is loath to bang the drum as they think we will all go wild and party if we know that. I think that it would be better to bang the drum in order to convince everybody to get vaccinated asap.
    2 They must have much more vaccine in stock than they have let on. April was supposed to be the slowdown month but half a million people have been vaccinated virtually every day. I expect this subterfuge was to distract  the EU etc from  trying to cut our supply.

Once everyone (end of July, maybe earlier) has been offered the vaccine then, and only then, they can introduce vaccine passports - that will be the best recruiting sergeant for almost full vaccine take-up.
    End of October. Vaccine passports can only be based on both doses otherwise there is no incentive to get the 2nd dose and get full protection.
    Surely that’s only true of vaccine sceptics. I or pretty much anyone I know doesn’t need an incentive of any kind in order two have both doses. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

Surely that’s only true of vaccine sceptics. I or pretty much anyone I know doesn’t need an incentive of any kind in order two have both doses. 
    I see what you did there... 
  • Options
    Well after yesterday’s 2nd dose I’ve not got any arm pain (didn’t for the first jab) but I did have a bit of a hot then cold night. I’m exaggerating the extent of the side effects to Mr Tatters and an enjoying the first lie in I’ve had since the first jab while he gets the chickens up.

You do know Mr  Tatters reads this thread.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

I see what you did there... 
    You give me two much credit ;0)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

I disagree. If we have a pretty free summer with most things open, cases and deaths low, then I'm pretty sure inertia will set in. People won't see the need to go for the 2nd dose or will just be too lazy or busy enjoying the freedom. I suspect there will be issues persuading the under 40s in August- October.

Either way making vaccine passports based on just one dose sends completely the wrong message.
    Agree that to achieve a passport full vaccination must happen but I’m not convinced that the under 40’s will decline to be vaccinated in great numbers. I think there might be an issue with the 18 - 30’s based on them not seeing Covid as a threat to them personally. I think the passport is an excellent carrot though.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

I disagree. If we have a pretty free summer with most things open, cases and deaths low, then I'm pretty sure inertia will set in. People won't see the need to go for the 2nd dose or will just be too lazy or busy enjoying the freedom. I suspect there will be issues persuading the under 40s in August- October.

Either way making vaccine passports based on just one dose sends completely the wrong message.
    Agree that to achieve a passport full vaccination must happen but I’m not convinced that the under 40’s will decline to be vaccinated in great numbers. I think there might be an issue with the 18 - 30’s based on them not seeing Covid as a threat to them personally. I think the passport is an excellent carrot though.
    The carrot needs to be dangled. In December, I knew of a handful of people in their 40’s adamant that they wouldn’t take the vaccine. 

All have now changed their mind and have had or will have it, so that they can go on holiday. The success of the programme may have something to do with it, but mainly, the dangled carrot of a holiday did the trick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

The carrot needs to be dangled. In December, I knew of a handful of people in their 40’s adamant that they wouldn’t take the vaccine. 

All have now changed their mind and have had or will have it, so that they can go on holiday. The success of the programme may have something to do with it, but mainly, the dangled carrot of a holiday did the trick
    Yup, I’ve heard the same. 
  • Options
    Like I said. Level unlocks have always been the way to go with the vaccine passport, rather than content restriction
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

Get what you are saying but what I'm talking about isn't people declining the vaccine but rather taking the first dose but then as the country gets back to normal allowing inertia to take over or being lazy or simy not seeing the need to follow through and get the 2nd. I'm not talking about a principled decision or even anti vaxer lunacy but simply the path of least resistance if people see things continuing to get better. It may not be in huge numbers but I do think its a factor and is one reason why vaccine passports should be based off both doses.
  • Options

Covid-19: Vaccine rollout in England extends to 44-year-olds

About half a million more people in England are being invited to book their Covid-19 jab from Monday, as the vaccine rollout opens to 44-year-olds.

People can book now via this link
     https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Southbank said:

My surgery insists I use the My GP app. It was updated last week. You can add a green tick and a QR code to confirm you've had both doses 12 days after your second jab. (Time for the antibodies to develop.) This will be Wednesday for me.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    BalladMan said:
    BalladMan said:
    Whereabouts are you based? I have a friend who is 43 with asthma who is hoping to get one in Swanley ASAP.
    New Eltham, but doctors in Greenwich. It does seem Greenwich is slightly ahead of Kent borders based on anecdotal evidence.  

I would suggest to keep trying this site daily in order as it might offer a slightly earlier view (depending on area) https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

I presume your friend has spoken to GP as some of my family got it earlier (under 40s) due to chronic Asthma.
    Thanks - I'll get her onto it. She was meant to have one a while back but her doc said that although she'd been to hospital last year with an asthma attack she hadn't had to stay in overnight so didn't qualify!
    Sorry to hear that about your friend.  I am pretty certain the vast majority of over 40s will be done by mid-May to keep the timeline of end July, so not long to wait worst case. 
    My mate (43) tried the online booking and it let her book for this Friday. Very pleased for her. I think it was @suzisausage that suggested it might work as well. Thanks both!
    Great news.  One thing I noted tonight whilst booking for my wife is that there is a big difference in vaccination centres offered by GPs and the online link (https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number).

However, once you are invited by you GP, it appears that you can book via 
    https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number the day after (there must be some central register that notes you have been offered the vaccine).  It seems there is more short term availability on nhs.uk, but this is obviously dependent on local area.

One last note, when booking on nhs.uk for 1st jab, it also asked us to book the 2nd one at the same time.

FYI, on both options, it is possible to cancel your appointment and try the alternative (I did this a few times to find the nearer locations availability). 

Hope this helps someone. 
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    BalladMan said:

Dear oh dear, that is ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yep as others have said, I’m 43 and was able to log on last night and book my 1st vaccine for Thursday.
  • Options
    Website now saying people 42 and over can book
  • Options
    An acquaintance's son is doing research at one of our top universities into the effects of the vaccines.  People who've had the two jabs with a four week gap, as originally planned, now have only 30% antibodies compared to what they had after the vaccines had kicked in to full effect.  If the twelve week gap jabs replicate this, there will be a big surge in cases around September.  So, book your holidays for August.

To give you an idea of how good the group is he's working in at his uni, they predicted pretty much everything that happened from last June onwards once the Government laid out the restrictions or lack of them.
    Could you please provide a link to the data or if not at least which university this research is being conducted so I can have a look see. This is the most significant comment I have seen for weeks so would really like to dig into this. Seems to go against the published data so far ? 
    @ShootersHillGuru
    @bobmunro
    @cantersaddick

I can't provide a link to the published results because, as far as I'm aware, it hasn't been published yet.

I can't tell you the university because, again as far as I'm aware, the information is confidential and I don't want to drop the bloke in the mire.

As I was told it, antibody levels are down to 30%.  Of course, that may have got garbled in the telling as it is third-hand by the time it gets to me.

Perhaps you should start an idle gossip thread
    If it was idle gossip, I wouldn’t have posted it. 
  • Options
    I mean there's no need for a second vaccine if you've already had Covid.
    I’m sure you’re trolling with this comment. Either that or 16 months into a pandemic and you’ve actually understood nothing. 
  • Options
    Had the Pizer vaccine 17th Feb and having my 2nd one 7th May. Felt a little unwell for a couple of days.
  • Options
    I mean there's no need for a second vaccine if you've already had Covid.
    Yes there is a need to have the second jab - it's the first one you don't need.

(I'll get me coat)