Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    An acquaintance's son is doing research at one of our top universities into the effects of the vaccines.  People who've had the two jabs with a four week gap, as originally planned, now have only 30% antibodies compared to what they had after the vaccines had kicked in to full effect.  If the twelve week gap jabs replicate this, there will be a big surge in cases around September.  So, book your holidays for August.

To give you an idea of how good the group is he's working in at his uni, they predicted pretty much everything that happened from last June onwards once the Government laid out the restrictions or lack of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    An acquaintance's son is doing research at one of our top universities into the effects of the vaccines.  People who've had the two jabs with a four week gap, as originally planned, now have only 30% antibodies compared to what they had after the vaccines had kicked in to full effect.  If the twelve week gap jabs replicate this, there will be a big surge in cases around September.  So, book your holidays for August.

To give you an idea of how good the group is he's working in at his uni, they predicted pretty much everything that happened from last June onwards once the Government laid out the restrictions or lack of them.
    Could you please provide a link to the data or if not at least which university this research is being conducted so I can have a look see. This is the most significant comment I have seen for weeks so would really like to dig into this. Seems to go against the published data so far ? 
  • Options

My understanding is that antibodies as a result of the vaccine have been shown to last (or be detectable) for around 5 months. The fact that they are not detectable doesn't mean that protection disappears, and I'm not aware of mass testing of T cells.

Is the 30% you state the level of antibodies remaining, or the number of people who still have detectable antibodies?

• Options

Antibodies isn't the only form of immunity you get from a vaccine though. It's just the easiest to test for. They always become less visible over time. Does not mean that the protection is not there wither through antibodies, T cells or other forms.
  • Options
    A top up vaccination is planned for the Autumn.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    A top up vaccination is planned for the Autumn.
    YEs but that is to provide additional protection potentially against new variants, it does not mean the protection from the initial vaccine has worn off
  • Options
    The current timeline is for all adults to be offered a vaccine by the end of June? So I'm guessing second doses by the autumn?

Therefore the autumn top up will commence for those who received their original dose back in January, and those who received their second dose last by, say March?
  • Options
    Ross said:
    The current timeline is for all adults to be offered a vaccine by the end of June? So I'm guessing second doses by the autumn?

Therefore the autumn top up will commence for those who received their original dose back in January, and those who received their second dose last by, say March?
    I’m guessing that secondary “top up” vaccines will be targeted at over 65’s and vulnerable rather than across the board for everyone. 
  • Options

Could you please provide a link to the data or if not at least which university this research is being conducted so I can have a look see. This is the most significant comment I have seen for weeks so would really like to dig into this. Seems to go against the published data so far ? 
    @ShootersHillGuru
    @bobmunro
    @cantersaddick

I can't provide a link to the published results because, as far as I'm aware, it hasn't been published yet.

I can't tell you the university because, again as far as I'm aware, the information is confidential and I don't want to drop the bloke in the mire.

As I was told it, antibody levels are down to 30%.  Of course, that may have got garbled in the telling as it is third-hand by the time it gets to me.
  • Options
    how many can say they or someone they know has been struck by lightning? 
    I know 2. 
    Shouldn't that be 'knew'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

Government ramping up plans for booster shot

Hancock says the government is ramping up its plans for booster vaccine shots "to stay ahead of the virus".

This is because of the risks posed by mutations.

He says the government has already procured enough vaccine doses to begin the booster shots later this year.

Current vaccine suppliers and new suppliers are working with the government to tackle variants of concern - like the one which originated in South Africa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56797829

• Options
    Jabbed up. Currently sat in the waiting room  (I'm allergic to pears, anyone who has had an anaphylacitc reaction in the past has to wait ten minutes afterwards, standard for all jabs I've had in the past). Proper well organised - dead impressed. Fully expect to be sick as a dog the next two days cos I've got the immune system of a champion racehorse 😂😂😂 
    You’d have been no good in a Carry On film. 
  • Options
    Jabbed up. Currently sat in the waiting room  (I'm allergic to pears, anyone who has had an anaphylacitc reaction in the past has to wait ten minutes afterwards, standard for all jabs I've had in the past). Proper well organised - dead impressed. Fully expect to be sick as a dog the next two days cos I've got the immune system of a champion racehorse 😂😂😂 
    You’d have been no good in a Carry On film. 

• Options

@ShootersHillGuru
    @bobmunro
    @cantersaddick

I can't provide a link to the published results because, as far as I'm aware, it hasn't been published yet.

I can't tell you the university because, again as far as I'm aware, the information is confidential and I don't want to drop the bloke in the mire.

As I was told it, antibody levels are down to 30%.  Of course, that may have got garbled in the telling as it is third-hand by the time it gets to me.

Perhaps you should start an idle gossip thread
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Interesting article here about possible causes of the blood clotting issue: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/04/vaccine-related-blood-clot-mystery-must-be-solved/618623/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Ross said:

Government ramping up plans for booster shot

Hancock says the government is ramping up its plans for booster vaccine shots "to stay ahead of the virus".

This is because of the risks posed by mutations.

He says the government has already procured enough vaccine doses to begin the booster shots later this year.

Current vaccine suppliers and new suppliers are working with the government to tackle variants of concern - like the one which originated in South Africa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56797829

As long as the supply issues with AZ are sorted as expected in the next couple of months I believe the plan is to use the Novavax as a single shot booster for the over 50s and vulnerable. The timelines for expected approval match up and the idea is that in being a different one to what everyone received as a first vaccine it will potentially provide protection against a different subset of variants. Using only one type of vaccine for the boosters will also be easier to administer. 
  • Options
    Just booked in my second jab for Sunday. Hopefully I don't get steamrollered with sideeffects like the first one.
  • Options
    Had an absolutely awful night - shaking like a shitting dog and sweating buckets. Aching all over with a pounding headache. Better this morning, but still tired and achy. I always get a reaction to vaccines though, so no great dramas
  • Options

@ShootersHillGuru
    @bobmunro
    @cantersaddick

Hows that not sharing confidential and impossible to varify information going ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The EU's drugs regulator has said that blood clots should be listed as a "very rare" side effect of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.

The European Medicines Agency said in a statement that it had found a "possible link" between the jab and clots.

But it added that the benefits of the Covid-19 vaccine outweighed the risks.

Out of more than seven million people who have received the jab in the US, eight people developed rare blood clots, including one person who died.

Earlier this month, the EMA made the same recommendation for the Covid-19 vaccine produced by Oxford-AstraZeneca.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56820970

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Anyone who was vaccinated at the Alexandra Suite in Swanley, I received a text last Tuesday to book my second vaccination 4 weeks early. I missed the appointments, but have kept checking the site each day like they say, and now have an appointment for this Saturday. So it is well worth checking like they say.
     Link: accurx.thirdparty.nhs.uk/r/twzuh8qq2f 
  • Options
    Anyone who was vaccinated at the Alexandra Suite in Swanley, I received a text last Tuesday to book my second vaccination 4 weeks early. I missed the appointments, but have kept checking the site each day like they say, and now have an appointment for this Saturday. So it is well worth checking like they say.
    There seem to be quite a few people having their second jab a few weeks early. I'm now muddled about when is the optimum time to have it. I remember it started at 4 weeks then went to 12 - I'm guessing less than 12 is OK?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    There seem to be quite a few people having their second jab a few weeks early. I'm now muddled about when is the optimum time to have it. I remember it started at 4 weeks then went to 12 - I'm guessing less than 12 is OK?

It asks if you are 8 weeks or over from your first vaccination, and it is then allowing people to book. I think I have read that 8 weeks is the minimum gap they recommend and the text actually said,  to book only if you were 'over 8 weeks'. (The NHS says between 77 and 84 days in their vaccination programme dated March 2021, so confusing, I agree. But other things published say between 4-8 weeks after. )  
     I will be 9 weeks from the first dose this Saturday and glad to get it done. My husband had his a few weeks ago, after 8 weeks as well. So hopefully it is ok?
    Where's @ShootersHillGuru when you need him!

• Options

I had mine after 9 weeks and a few people I know, we're around about the same.

• Options
    Got my second jab on 1 May - 11 weeks.
  • Options
    No effects for ten hours, smashed to bits from 10pm night before last all the way through to morning, effects dissipated during the day and was able to go out and ride me bike at 25mph for an hour yesterday evening then drink three pints in the local beer garden.
  • Options

It asks if you are 8 weeks or over from your first vaccination, and it is then allowing people to book. I think I have read that 8 weeks is the minimum gap they recommend and the text actually said,  to book only if you were 'over 8 weeks'. (The NHS says between 77 and 84 days in their vaccination programme dated March 2021, so confusing, I agree. But other things published say between 4-8 weeks after. )  
     I will be 9 weeks from the first dose this Saturday and glad to get it done. My husband had his a few weeks ago, after 8 weeks as well. So hopefully it is ok?
    Where's @ShootersHillGuru when you need him!

Don’t forget that the original increased time delay between the manufacturers  recommended 21 days from primer dose to boost was done based on expediency of getting as many people given a first dose as possible and based on data that suggested that around 67% protection could be achieved and maintained for up to three months. Individual full protection won’t be achieved until after receiving the second booster dose. I’m guessing that the vaccine roll out is going so well that the three month limit can be reduced whenever possible to get as many people on their way to maximum protection. 
  • Options
    Had my 2nd AZ jab yesterday. Didn't have a great night's sleep and still feel a bit ropey but nowhere as bad a reaction as the first.

Once again the organisation at the centre was top notch - arrived a little early and was out by my scheduled arrival time.