Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    Chart of vaccine take up by region and UK nation
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    So I’m being told by Mr O that there’s a new variant from India which is responsible for the huge surge in numbers there & it’s just been discovered in the UK.
    India isn’t one of the red zone countries apparently 😳
  • Options
    So I’m being told by Mr O that there’s a new variant from India which is responsible for the huge surge in numbers there & it’s just been discovered in the UK.
    Oh!
  • Options
    Apparently one of the reasons India isn't on the red list is because Boris has an official visit lined up....

Public safety never seems to be the priority. 
  • Options
    Correct they just said it on the news, about 50 cases here at present.
    India now 2nd to USA, overtaking Brazil for the most cases.
  • Options
    There was an item on the news from India where there was a lot of ceremonial intermingling.
    It was a contrast to the notion of social distancing that has been tried out I  the UK.
  • Options
    I think the visit is more about making sure the Indian factory producing the AZ vaccine doesn't close down. I'm sure India will be on the red list but not yet. That my view fwiw.
  • Options
    Apparently one of the reasons India isn't on the red list is because Boris has an official visit lined up....

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. 

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. 

So why is Pakistan and Bangladesh on the list when they have a lower rate than India? 

What is the red list even for if it doesn't care about virus rates in the countries? 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:

Different types of blood clots. 

AZ Vaccine blood clots are a lot more dangerous and deadly. 
    Tell that to anybody suffering blood clots on the lungs

About a decade before anybody heard of Covid-19 former colleague of mine aged about 50 had one blood clot in one lung and it killed him in a matter of hours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options

Pregnant women should be offered a Covid jab, the UK's vaccine advisers have announced.

They say the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are preferable because data from the US in 90,000 pregnant women has not raised any safety concerns.

There is currently a lack of data on the AstraZeneca vaccine in pregnancy, the Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) added.

The advice brings the UK into line with other countries.

Pregnant women should discuss the risks and benefits of having a vaccine with their doctor as well as the latest evidence on safety and which one they should receive, the JCVI says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56778146

• Options
    seth plum said:
    There was an item on the news from India where there was a lot of ceremonial intermingling.
    It was a contrast to the notion of social distancing that has been tried out I  the UK.
    This is a genuine question, have you ever been to India?

When this pandemic began Mr O & I both discussed the fact that we couldn’t see a country like India being able to practically social distance, especially in cities. It’s just not at all possible, regardless of when there is any religious element thrown into the mix.

I’m sure there are other countries like Brazil that are the same (I’ve never been there).

My heart goes out to them.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    KBslittlesis said:
    seth plum said:
    This is a genuine question, have you ever been to India?

When this pandemic began Mr O & I both discussed the fact that we couldn’t see a country like India being able to practically social distance, especially in cities. It’s just not at all possible, regardless of when there is any religious element thrown into the mix.

I’m sure there are other countries like Brazil that are the same (I’ve never been there).

My heart goes out to them
    I haven't been to India, but have been to China.
    On my first visit to Beijing the streams and crowds of cyclists passing made it difficult to notice an individual, like an enormous flock of birds, or the bulk of runners in the London Marathon at the 'ordinary' start.
    On my latest visit the rather good new Beijing underground system was packed to the gunnels at all times of the day.
    It may be that we don't have accurate information from China regarding the impact of the coronavirus. My mother in law chooses to go out seldon, and she is in her eighties anyway, but my surprised impression regarding such a crowded city is that there is a degree of normality and management (probably quite strict) of the situation.
    I do know that my brother in law has not been able to travel from Hamburg to Beijing since I don't know when.
    The populations of some places, like in parts of South Africa for example, seem so crowded I don't know how they will survive if they continue with their usual lifestyle.
    I hope vaccines will be effective, available and plentiful worldwide as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Last Saturday's UK v France figures

UK Current 1st jabs = 31,903,366
    France Current 1st jabs = 10,148,039

UK Current 2nd jabs = 6,541,174
    France Current 2nd jabs = 3,488,124
    As at 17th April;

UK Current 1st Jabs = 32,574,221
    France Current 1st Jabs = 11,982,970

UK Current 2nd jabs = 8,931,547
    France Current 2nd jabs = 4,269,590

UK 1st jabs last week = 670,855
    France 1st jabs last week = 1,834,931

UK 2nd jabs last week = 2,390,373
    France 2nd jabs last week = 781,466

UK Total last week = 3,061,228
    France Total last week = 2,616,397
  • Options
    hmmoore said:
    Simonsen said:

As at 17th April;

What’s the point of this? I hope we continue to do brilliantly and they and every other country do too, if not better.
    I would however be interested in seeing what the number of vaccine refusals is. Last figure I saw some weeks ago now suggested the uptake in France was still below 50%. That will be a problem for them and us unless it significantly increases.
  • Options
    Surely what matters is the we beat them! What's the point of living if you can't beat the French at something!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still suffering with long Covid and was given AZ last night. After 7 hours every Covid symptom erupted together. Fever returned and I have loss of smell for the first time. Feel dreadful but am interested whether the vaccine might be having a tussle with all of the sites with Covid remnants in my body? Time will tell and I was forewarned I may be in for a rough 48 hours. Hope it is max 48 hours and the vaccine helps.
    I don't know for sure but believe I may have had COVID last Feb (oddly shortly after meeting Southall!)

After 36 hours of feeling really rough with the AZ jab, I now feel fine, so hopefully yours won't last too long.
  • Options
    Still suffering with long Covid and was given AZ last night. After 7 hours every Covid symptom erupted together. Fever returned and I have loss of smell for the first time. Feel dreadful but am interested whether the vaccine might be having a tussle with all of the sites with Covid remnants in my body? Time will tell and I was forewarned I may be in for a rough 48 hours. Hope it is max 48 hours and the vaccine helps.
    Heard about a friend who had the AZ vaccine last week having had COVID-19 without any symptoms. He felt quite rough that night. On Friday he was awake most of the night, was sweating and his hand got a pattern in the skin. OK now.

I had my second Pfizer jab on Friday in Eltham. Longer queue than last time. No after effects.
  • Options

I hope you're feeling better today.
    It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems from anecdotal evidence that the vaccine has in some cases eliminated most of the symptoms of long Covid - so acting as a therapeutic as well as protection. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    hmmoore said:
    Simonsen said:

As at 17th April;

What’s the point of this? I hope we continue to do brilliantly and they and every other country do too, if not better.
    It's not a gloat or anything like that. Far from it. The figures have shown that the UK continues to vaccinate at a fantastic rate and that France (a significant near neighbour) has definitely picked up their rate in recent weeks but are still not hitting the same levels that the UK is managing. Another CL contributor asked if France would overtake us but at the moment that doesn't seem likely. 

In terms of other nearish European neighbours, Holland appears to be struggling to make big in-roads. I know someone in Amsterdam whose 84yr old mother (with a condition) still hasn't even had the offer of a vaccine. It's a great worry and there is an under-lying feeling that the Dutch Government is letting the population down. By comparison my own 84yr old mother here in the UK, had her first vaccine exactly four months ago. 
  • Options
    Hope you’re feeling better today and that the first dose manages to get the long Covid out of your system once and for all. 
  • Options
    I am so tentative about having my 2nd jab, which is due by May 27th. I have always been pro vaccine and was delighted to get the invite for my first one, when it came.
    However, I still wonder if the symptoms I’ve had since the first jab, were caused by the vaccine or by the surgery that I had 3 weeks prior. 
    I originally blamed the op but I’m reading of quite a few people with similar symptoms after they had the Pfizer jab,  that I’m now starting to worry that it was the jab after all. I don’t think I’ll ever know.
  • Options
    I am so tentative about having my 2nd jab, which is due by May 27th. I have always been pro vaccine and was delighted to get the invite for my first one, when it came.
    However, I still wonder if the symptoms I’ve had since the first jab, were caused by the vaccine or by the surgery that I had 3 weeks prior. 
    I originally blamed the op but I’m reading of quite a few people with similar symptoms after they had the Pfizer jab,  that I’m now starting to worry that it was the jab after all. I don’t think I’ll ever know.
    Hope you feel better, by the time of your 2nd jab, I would go ahead and have it.
    Cheers. I certainly want to have it and suppose if the same thing happens again, I’ll have an answer !