Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Got my second jab on 1 May - 11 weeks.
    Got the text invite yesterday, clicked the link, choice of 3 places this time instead of two, picked the same place as last time as it’s a 5 minute walk away, booked it - 10 weeks

The playoff final would have still been within the 12 weeks but I guess they want us to build up a bit of post 2nd jab immunity before then...
  • Options
    Anyone who was vaccinated at the Alexandra Suite in Swanley, I received a text last Tuesday to book my second vaccination 4 weeks early. I missed the appointments, but have kept checking the site each day like they say, and now have an appointment for this Saturday. So it is well worth checking like they say.
     Link: accurx.thirdparty.nhs.uk/r/twzuh8qq2f 
    There seem to be quite a few people having their second jab a few weeks early. I'm now muddled about when is the optimum time to have it. I remember it started at 4 weeks then went to 12 - I'm guessing less than 12 is OK?

It asks if you are 8 weeks or over from your first vaccination, and it is then allowing people to book. I think I have read that 8 weeks is the minimum gap they recommend and the text actually said,  to book only if you were 'over 8 weeks'. (The NHS says between 77 and 84 days in their vaccination programme dated March 2021, so confusing, I agree. But other things published say between 4-8 weeks after. )  
     I will be 9 weeks from the first dose this Saturday and glad to get it done. My husband had his a few weeks ago, after 8 weeks as well. So hopefully it is ok?
    Where's @ShootersHillGuru when you need him!

Don’t forget that the original increased time delay between the manufacturers  recommended 21 days from primer dose to boost was done based on expediency of getting as many people given a first dose as possible and based on data that suggested that around 67% protection could be achieved and maintained for up to three months. Individual full protection won’t be achieved until after receiving the second booster dose. I’m guessing that the vaccine roll out is going so well that the three month limit can be reduced whenever possible to get as many people on their way to maximum protection. 
    Ah Thanks, that's great and what I remembered from earlier in the year. I think the programme must be going well and so they hope to get we oldies done with both, to move onto the younger people.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    I'm at 7.5 weeks now since my first jab, so on the basis of the comments above hopefully my GP practice will be contacting me within the next 2 weeks!
  • Options
    Anyone who was vaccinated at the Alexandra Suite in Swanley, I received a text last Tuesday to book my second vaccination 4 weeks early. I missed the appointments, but have kept checking the site each day like they say, and now have an appointment for this Saturday. So it is well worth checking like they say.
    There seem to be quite a few people having their second jab a few weeks early. I'm now muddled about when is the optimum time to have it. I remember it started at 4 weeks then went to 12 - I'm guessing less than 12 is OK?

It asks if you are 8 weeks or over from your first vaccination, and it is then allowing people to book. I think I have read that 8 weeks is the minimum gap they recommend and the text actually said,  to book only if you were 'over 8 weeks'. (The NHS says between 77 and 84 days in their vaccination programme dated March 2021, so confusing, I agree. But other things published say between 4-8 weeks after. )  
     I will be 9 weeks from the first dose this Saturday and glad to get it done. My husband had his a few weeks ago, after 8 weeks as well. So hopefully it is ok?

Don’t forget that the original increased time delay between the manufacturers  recommended 21 days from primer dose to boost was done based on expediency of getting as many people given a first dose as possible and based on data that suggested that around 67% protection could be achieved and maintained for up to three months. Individual full protection won’t be achieved until after receiving the second booster dose. I’m guessing that the vaccine roll out is going so well that the three month limit can be reduced whenever possible to get as many people on their way to maximum protection. 
    Ah Thanks, that's great and what I remembered from earlier in the year. I think the programme must be going well and so they hope to get we oldies done with both, to move onto the younger people.
    Thank you.
    I think it's more likely they are being cautious due to reduced vaccine availability and are ensuring those with imminent 2nd jabs are dealt with, early if necessary.

• Options
    Hex said:

Thank you.
    I think it's more likely they are being cautious due to reduced vaccine availability and are ensuring those with imminent 2nd jabs are dealt with, early if necessary.

I tried to bring mine forward but they said they'd have to cancel my current date first and couldn't guarentee that I'd get an earlier date, or even my current date again. Decided to stick with what I've got! (11 week gap)
  • Options
    I was 6 weeks between jabs. Most people I know were around the 9 week mark
  • Options
    I was surprised to get a text from my surgery to book my second jab. Having it done on Friday just 8 weeks after the first one. 
  • Options
    Nearly 11 weeks since my 1st, no appointment yet.

Contacted my GP who said I should be expecting a text. Think they are cutting it a bit fine.... some may not be able to make their 2nd with a short notice.
  • Options
    I'm with you @EastTerrace - had my first one on 9th Feb and due my 2nd by 4th May but nothing heard yet...

• Options

Contacted my GP who said I should be expecting a text. Think they are cutting it a bit fine.... some may not be able to make their 2nd with a short notice.
    Same here, 11 weeks on Saturday but no appointment yet 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Had first vaccine 15 Feb, AZ. Never had second appointment. Was listening to football whilst working last night, bored, so went online to see if could book second vaccine. Did so, 8 May at 1pm so do that then home to see us secure 6th place. 

Don't know if I should have waited or what. That's an 11 week gap so hopefully ok. Also, I was given the choice of lots of vaccine centres but none was where I originally went. Second jab is much closer to home, and the first one was only a couple of miles.

Booked our second jabs yesterday online - 1 May. 11 weeks and a day.

Likewise, the centre where we had the first jab (4 miles from home) was not listed so had to opt for a pharmacy 13 miles away - not an issue though.
    I had my first jab after a text from the GP at a local centre. They gave me a date for the next one but I need to change it. Can I do this online? 
    Likewise (well my wife did and I just tagged along!). But they never gave us the date for the second jab.

Select 'Manage my appointments'. I entered my personal details and it automatically picked up I had had the first jab and offered the second jab venues. It did say 'You failed to attend your second appointment so you will need to book again' but ignore that (I hadn't) so it must be a default message.

See above for those approaching 12 weeks and yet to hear.
  • Options

Chilean scientists are warning that China’s Sinovac vaccination, which is widely used in the developing world, offers “very weak” protection until after the second dose.

The study of 10.5 million people showed that the vaccine was just 16 per cent effective in guarding against Covid infection after one dose, rising to 67 per cent efficacy after the second dose.

• Options
    Thanks for the above @bobmunro but unfortunately that doesn't work for me...it tells me I have to wait for my GP to get in touch... :-(
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Private Eye this week. The part that stands out for me is that if we had the vaccine at the start of the pandemic, at least 100,000 lives would have been prevented in the U.K., and there would have been 5 deaths from blood clots. 

"With a UK population of around 58.2 million the risk of being struck by lightning (indoors and outdoors combined) is one person in 1.2 million and the risk of being struck and killed by lightning is one person in 19 million"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223811436_Deaths_and_injuries_caused_by_lightning_in_the_United_Kingdom_Analyses_of_two_databases

People trying to downplay the clotting risk is dangerous. It needs to be scrutinised properly rather than just hand-waved away. 
    Vaccine available March 2020. 

Hypothetically:

Don’t take the vaccine, 127,000 covid deaths, no blood clot deaths
    Take the vaccine, 27,000 covid deaths, 5 blood clot deaths. 

What do you choose?
    Vaccinate Boris Johnson. Thousands of times.
  • Options

The European Commission is considering suing the British-Swedish vaccine maker AstraZeneca for failing to deliver as much coronavirus vaccine as it promised.

Commission spokesman Eric Mamer says no decision has been taken yet, but one EU diplomat says the Commission wants member states to give the proposed lawsuit the green light by the end of the week.

But he says countries are wary of adding to the existing reluctance to take the jab.

The Commission also says it will not take up its option for an extra 100 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, on top of the 300 million it has ordered.

AstraZeneca has so far delivered only a tenth of that amount, and has warned it's unlikely to supply more than a third of the total by the end of the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56841832

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Had first vaccine 15 Feb, AZ. Never had second appointment. Was listening to football whilst working last night, bored, so went online to see if could book second vaccine. Did so, 8 May at 1pm so do that then home to see us secure 6th place. 

Don't know if I should have waited or what. That's an 11 week gap so hopefully ok. Also, I was given the choice of lots of vaccine centres but none was where I originally went. Second jab is much closer to home, and the first one was only a couple of miles.

Likewise, the centre where we had the first jab (4 miles from home) was not listed so had to opt for a pharmacy 13 miles away - not an issue though.
    I had my first jab after a text from the GP at a local centre. They gave me a date for the next one but I need to change it. Can I do this online? 
    Likewise (well my wife did and I just tagged along!). But they never gave us the date for the second jab.

Select 'Manage my appointments'. I entered my personal details and it automatically picked up I had had the first jab and offered the second jab venues. It did say 'You failed to attend your second appointment so you will need to book again' but ignore that (I hadn't) so it must be a default message.

If your GP arranged your first jab you can't use that link. You have to wait for another GP contact.
  • Options
    Just got a text from the GP to get a 2nd jab - this Saturday. It'll be 8 weeks. From the Swanley Alexandra Suite so maybe they've got an extra lot of vaccines coming in? Strangely Mt Tatters hasn't heard from them yet he's 10 years older than me. Maybe they're doing vunerable rather than age?
  • Options
    2nd jab today- all ahead of schedule.
  • Options
    Got my 2nd jab on 16th May. I found it quite well organised both booked at the same time. 
  • Options
    Got my 2nd jab on 16th May. I found it quite well organised both booked at the same time. 
    My 2nd jab was due 8th May but was brought forward to today - very happy with this.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The percentage of over-50s vaccinated has hit 95% in England, NHS data shows.

The take-up among those aged 45-49 is at 59% after they started being offered the jab earlier this month.

But uptake among care home staff - one of the first groups to be offered the jab - is still around 80% despite attempts to get more to come forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56849874

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Doctors rang today and booked me in for Saturday at Queen Mary’s. Going out for a beer with CE Sunday, so will see how rough I feel!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Doctors rang today and booked me in for Saturday at Queen Mary’s. Going out for a beer with CE Sunday, so will see how rough I feel!
    Oh ffs :-)
  • Options

The chances of becoming infected by Covid fell sharply after a first dose of either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, a UK study has found.

The vaccines worked just as well in the over-75s and those with underlying health conditions, as other people.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) and University of Oxford research also found a strong antibody response in all age groups from both jabs.

Everyone showed some response to both vaccines, they said.

The research, contained in two studies which have not yet been peer-reviewed or published, is based on virus tests from 370,000 people in the general UK population - one of the largest to date.

It provides further real-world evidence that the vaccines being used in the UK to protect against Covid-19 are effective at protecting people against coronavirus infections.

In the first study, people who had been vaccinated with a single dose of either the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines were 65% less likely to get a new Covid infection.

The second study, in nearly 46,000 adults who had been vaccinated with one dose, found strong antibody responses - a sign that the vaccines are stimulating the body's defence system to protect against the virus - in all age groups.

These antibody responses were "broadly sustained out to 10 weeks afterwards", the researchers said.

Although antibody levels rose more slowly and to a lower level with a single dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca, they dropped more quickly after one Pfizer dose, particularly in older age groups.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56844220

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

If your GP arranged your first jab you can't use that link. You have to wait for another GP contact.
    I don't think that is true. My first jab was booked through my GP. My second booking I did myself from the web site. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Just got a text from the GP to get a 2nd jab - this Saturday. It'll be 8 weeks. From the Swanley Alexandra Suite so maybe they've got an extra lot of vaccines coming in? Strangely Mt Tatters hasn't heard from them yet he's 10 years older than me. Maybe they're doing vunerable rather than age?
    Mr Tatters had a pneumonia vaccination today. They say you can't have another vaccination in the next 7 days so this is why his second jab will be after mine. As mine's tomorrow I'm just hoping neither of us get major side effects as we currently have over 100 hens to look after.