Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Interesting feedback from Israel regarding ‘vaccine passports’. 

Appears that over-60s were, in the main, happy to get a vaccine. 

However, younger people were not as they did not perceive sufficient benefit.  This changed when the green pass was announced, which would give the holder access to restaurants bars music venues  etc. 

Now nearly all Israeli adults have a vaccine passport ... yet few venues are bothering to enforce it because they know almost everyone is now vaccinated.  

So the passport has been used as a carrot to ensure uptake of the vaccine and it has succeeded. 

I get the impression that this is the approach now bring taken in the U.K.  
    Yeah, I posted that a few weeks back. If it's pushed as a sort of 'level unlock' instead of a 'passport', it's much more likely to be adopted by the young. 
  • Options
    Had my second vaccine (Pfizer) on Friday - I'm only 23 but was able to have it because I'm a medical student in my placement years. Felt feverish and fluey after my first jab in January but completely fine after this one. Glad to have had both lots now, as are my housemates.

Think younger people would be more inclined to have the vaccine, when it's rolled out to all adults, if more emphasis was put the on the reduction of transmission. Although they say about protecting your loved ones etc I feel like the emphasis has mainly been put on protection of deaths directly (rightly). I don't really think that vaccine passports/covid certificates in our own country is a good idea. Even though I've had both jabs I don't want to have to carry round some private information on myself to do things which should be considered normal. I know this is unprecedented times and I don't doubt that the intention of a vaccine passport is good, but think we have to be careful that this doesn't become a normal thing forever - it's easy enough to show a sort of slippery slope argument to having to carry around some form of ID/pass with you all the time.
    I think that is a perfectly understandable and natural point of view to have if you're younger. I'm sort of stuck in that no-man's-land between 'young and carefree' and 'miserable old fecker' (although I've always been pretty miserable 🤣) and I can see both viewpoints. 
  • Options
    Had my second vaccine (Pfizer) on Friday - I'm only 23 but was able to have it because I'm a medical student in my placement years. Felt feverish and fluey after my first jab in January but completely fine after this one. Glad to have had both lots now, as are my housemates.

Think younger people would be more inclined to have the vaccine, when it's rolled out to all adults, if more emphasis was put the on the reduction of transmission. Although they say about protecting your loved ones etc I feel like the emphasis has mainly been put on protection of deaths directly (rightly). I don't really think that vaccine passports/covid certificates in our own country is a good idea. Even though I've had both jabs I don't want to have to carry round some private information on myself to do things which should be considered normal. I know this is unprecedented times and I don't doubt that the intention of a vaccine passport is good, but think we have to be careful that this doesn't become a normal thing forever - it's easy enough to show a sort of slippery slope argument to having to carry around some form of ID/pass with you all the time.
    I think that is a perfectly understandable and natural point of view to have if you're younger. I'm sort of stuck in that no-man's-land between 'young and carefree' and 'miserable old fecker' (although I've always been pretty miserable 🤣) and I can see both viewpoints. 
    Yeah right ;0)
  • Options

I suppose the flipside to that is that you (as a 23 year old) presumably would already carry around id to show you're over 18 in order to buy alcohol

Similarly if doing major financial transactions in the bank, they'll require id like a driving license or a passport, so we're already having to carry around id on many occasions
  • Options

More than 400,000 second doses of Covid vaccines have been given in the UK for the fourth consecutive day, according to the latest government data.

A record total of 475,230 second doses were administered on Saturday - along with 111,109 first doses.

• Options
    NZ now making vaccine more or less mandatory or risk losing your job. 

Border workers have until the end of April to be vaccinated before being moved to lower risk roles, the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, has said after a third worker from Auckland’s Grand Millenium managed isolation facility tested positive for Covid-19.

“We want everyone to be vaccinated on our frontline,” she told TVNZ’s Breakfast on Monday.

“From Monday through until the end of April, that becomes the final window where if people are not vaccinated in that period of time then they are redeployed, they are moved on. And that was always the point we had to get to.”

• Options

China's top disease control official has said the efficacy of the country's Covid vaccines is low, in a rare admission of weakness.

In a press conference, Gao Fu added that China was considering mixing vaccines as a way of boosting efficacy.

China has developed four different vaccines approved for public use, though some trials abroad had suggested efficacy as low as 50%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56713663

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

China's top disease control official has said the efficacy of the country's Covid vaccines is low, in a rare admission of weakness.

In a press conference, Gao Fu added that China was considering mixing vaccines as a way of boosting efficacy.

China has developed four different vaccines approved for public use, though some trials abroad had suggested efficacy as low as 50%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56713663

Mr Gao later said his comments had been misinterpreted (after he and his family had been arrested by the authorities and threatened with a one way ticket to a Xinjiang internment camp)
    I feel so sorry for him. He's in a no win situation.
  • Options
    No idea why - I'm 32 with no health conditions - but I've been invited to get jabbed and am booked in for Sunday.
  • Options
    hermann said:
    No idea why - I'm 32 with no health conditions - but I've been invited to get jabbed and am booked in for Sunday.

Maybe they are running out of older or unhealthy people in your area because they’ve all been jabbed already. Or might want you as a healthy person for statistical reasons before we mass rollout vaccination of all the younger adult generation. It was a no-brainier rolling it out to us older gits. We had to have it and if it went/goes wrong it will have a lesser long term impact on the economy. Get it wrong with a younger generation and it’s a different ball game.
  • Options
    hermann said:

Maybe they are running out of older or unhealthy people in your area because they’ve all been jabbed already. Or might want you as a healthy person for statistical reasons before we mass rollout vaccination of all the younger adult generation. It was a no-brainier rolling it out to us older gits. We had to have it and if it went/goes wrong it will have a lesser long term impact on the economy. Get it wrong with a younger generation and it’s a different ball game.
    Hopefully the former (and I suspect it is), but happy to do my bit if it is the latter - maybe they want to check the efficacy in the charming, good looking and humble early 30s bracket now. 

I'm in Bethnal Green btw, should have mentioned above. My step-brother is the same age and has had the same thing happen, he's over in Richmond. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, just got booked in for Sunday.  Shared with some mates who are also now booked in.
  • Options

England is giving out its first doses of the Moderna jab, the third Covid-19 vaccine in the nation's rollout.

It will be available at 21 sites, included the Madejski Stadium in Reading and the Sheffield Arena.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56727510

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mum had her 2nd AZ jab on Sunday and other than a slightly sore arm, has suffered no ill effects.
    Did she have any side effects after her first jab?
  • Options
    Good grief.
    Humans are strange machines

The anti-vax movement targeting German children

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-56675874
  • Options
    A quick YouTube search of “is Covid real” throws up enough fake conspiratorial clips to make you realise that there are a lot of cracked pots out there. 
  • Options
    My experience and that of everybody I’ve asked who’s had the second jab, is that even if there was a reaction at whatever level to their first jab, the reaction and/or discomfort from the second jab was less.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My experience and that of everybody I’ve asked who’s had the second jab, is that even if there was a reaction at whatever level to their first jab, the reaction and/or discomfort from the second jab was less.
    That’s reassuring to read. I felt like crap for 12 hours after first jab and have my second on Sunday.
  • Options
    Keep us posted.
    Real organic information is useful.
  • Options
    My mum had her 2nd AZ jab on Sunday and other than a slightly sore arm, has suffered no ill effects.
    Did she have any side effects after her first jab?
    No, nothing.
  • Options
    Booked my Windows Update for Monday
    It's a shame there wasn't a Mac option - or is that now available with the Moderna jab?
  • Options
    Now I had my first AZ jab on Good Friday.
    I had absolutely no side effects but hubby was very bad (full on flu symptoms) but then he always suffers after vaccinations.

But what has really really interested me is that a severe pain I have had in my left knee for months has quite literally disappeared overnight 😳 
    Now it could be a complete coincidence. I was convinced it was the onset of something serious and was going to ask for a bone density scan. Maybe it was just severe inflammation and after time has gone 🤷‍♀️
    Spooky nonetheless.

Annoyingly today the Irish government has suspended all AZ vaccines. They have decided to cease giving it to people under 60. I have been informed I will still get my second dose of AZ even though I’m only 51. I’m relieved about that tbh.

So the Irish will miss their target for immunisations, quel surprise 🙄