Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options

The Moderna vaccine will be in deployment in the UK "around the third week of April", vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi has confirmed.

Zahawi also told BBC Breakfast there would be "more volume" of the jab in May.

"And of course more volume of Pfizer and Oxford-AstraZeneca and we have got other vaccines.

"We have got the Janssen [Johnson and Johnson] vaccine coming through as well.

"So I am confident that we will be able to meet our target of mid-April, offering the vaccine to all over-50s, and then end of July offering the vaccine to all adults."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56646554

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Getting my first shot in a couple of hours - Moderna.
    We had our first Moderna jabs just over 3 weeks ago. Second one this coming Saturday. About 10 days after the first jab the area around where the needle went in started to itch, and we both had a rash about 4 inches in diameter on our arms. No pain or anything, and the rash disappeared after about seven days.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    Channel 4 News reporting that UK Regulator is looking again at whether Oxford AZ should be given to under 30 year olds (particularly females). Announcement explected in next few days.

Bit concerning.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-astrazenec-idUSKBN2BS1QE
    They're looking into it as they should look into all reported side effects. 

I'd be concerned if they weren't looking into it.

No bad can come of this. If there is even the slightest risk then it won't be given to that group and they will get a different one. If there isn't a risk then all good. 

To make it clear the only reason there is doubt about the under 30s is because so few have been given the vaccine outside testing. There is no doubt/concern for the over 30s because we have a massive sample.
    I'm sure you are right and with plenty of alternatives becoming available it shouldn't be a problem to switch to something else for this age group. The single shot one (can't remember the name) might be better anyway to speed up the vacinaction process as a whole.

Opps, seems perhaps plenty of alternatives might not be available in the short term. Hopefully Sage are being overly cautious.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/06/england-covid-vaccine-programme-could-slow-sharply-sage-warns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options

Three in five UK adults have received a first dose of a coronavirus jab, the health secretary says.

Some 31,622,367 have received a first vaccine, with 5,496,716 people now fully vaccinated thanks to a second dose - 10.4% of the adult population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56646554

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Getting my first shot in a couple of hours - Moderna.
    We had our first Moderna jabs just over 3 weeks ago. Second one this coming Saturday. About 10 days after the first jab the area around where the needle went in started to itch, and we both had a rash about 4 inches in diameter on our arms. No pain or anything, and the rash disappeared after about seven days.
    Thanks for the notice. Will keep your experience in mind since me and the other half both got the Moderna shot a few days apart.

No side effects for either us yet other than the usual that comes with any vaccination.
  • Options
    The Mrs is booked for her first jab tomorrow: Sinovac, one of the Chinese ones with the lowest efficacy rate of all of them. They want to open Phuket to tourists in July so people here are getting vaccinated before most of the rest of the country, regardless of age and occupation. Nothing for expats though but that's fine as I'd prefer to wait for AZ.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The UK has begun the rollout of its third coronavirus vaccine, the Moderna jab, in Wales.

Unpaid carer Elle Taylor said she was "very excited and happy" to be the first in the UK to receive the jab. 

In England, small business minister Paul Scully said the vaccine will be rolled out "in the next few days".

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The fall in the pound comes after it was revealed AstraZeneca will hand over all of its vaccines made in the Netherlands to the EU - despite the UK having a claim to the doses.

EU vaccine tsar Thierry Breton said the firm has agreed to send six million doses to the bloc every month from its Halix plant in Leiden.

This factory has been at the centre of a vaccine war between Britain and the EU because the UK has a contractual claim to for it to fulfil orders of the Oxford-produced jab

Downing Street had offered to share production capacity at the facility with Brussels.

But Mr Breton has now confirmed AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot had acknowledged all but one batch made at the plant will be sent to EU member states.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/pound-set-to-plummet-to-biggest-loss-in-seven-months-as-fears-grow-over-astrazeneca-supply/ar-BB1fsMVY?li=AAnZ9Ug

• Options
    Vaccine nationalism right left and centre.
    No surprise in these dark days.
  • Options
    They had better use them
  • Options
    The European Medicines Agency said on Friday that it has started a review to assess blood clots in people who received Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine.

One of the blood clot cases following the J&J jab happened during a clinical trial. At the time, the company responded saying it had found no evidence the vaccine was at fault.

The three other cases occurred in the United States, where the shot has been given to almost 5 million people.

Though the J&J vaccine is approved in the EU, its rollout in the bloc isn't expected to start until later this month.

However, the EU is relying on the single-shot vaccine to boost its Covid-19 immunization programme amid restrictions in some countries on use of the AstraZeneca jab, which is administered in two doses, for certain age groups.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-vaccine-astrazeneca-covid-blood-clots-cases/

• Options
    UK paid £21m to upgrade the Dutch facilty and the Dutch refused to contribute £8m towards the upgarde costs.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    McBobbin said:
    They had better use them
    Very much the point.

In general though, now that the most vulnerable have been vaccinated in the U.K., it makes sense for more of the locally manufactured vaccine supply to be allocated to the most vulnerable citizens of our near neighbours. Win win in terms of preventing new strains reaching us and hopefully speeds up the end of travel restrictions.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Simonsen said:
    How much is the vaccine programme expected to slow in the coming months? Seems to be conflicting views. Macron is claiming France will have caught up with the UK in a few weeks vaccine programme - I'm assuming this is in the very least partly to save face from their poor progress so far and he seems pretty intent on blocking doses leaving the EU too.
    I suspect Macron means France will catch up the UK on the rate of daily jabs. The French are definitely turning out more daily jabs than they were a couple of weeks back.

It's unlikely we will slow so much that France will catch up on the total, until long after we've finished. 

UK Current 1st Jabs = 30,151,287
    France Current 1st Jabs = 7,742,466

UK Current 2nd Jabs = 3,527,481
    France Current 2nd Jabs = 2,651,777

Previous figures were as at 29th March;

These are the current comparisons;

UK Current 1st jabs = 31,903,366
    France Current 1st jabs = 10,148,039

UK Current 2nd jabs = 6,541,174
    France Current 2nd jabs = 3,488,124
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people are just shifting the goal posts and bringing up ''long covid''  and appealing to emotion that children get this virus too with potential side long term effects, they want a full lockdown until near 100% are vaccinated. in that case why aren't we hoarding vaccines like Isreal who get praise for their vaccination campaign. isreal has fans in stadiums now. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Some people are just shifting the goal posts and bringing up ''long covid''  and appealing to emotion that children get this virus too with potential side long term effects, they want a full lockdown until near 100% are vaccinated. in that case why aren't we hoarding vaccines like Isreal who get praise for their vaccination campaign. isreal has fans in stadiums now. 
    Sigh

'Some people'. Care to quantify that with a number? There are probably about 1,000 people in the country who want a full lockdown until 100% are vaccinated. Stop trying to equate people who think there should be some sensible time frame to lifting restrictions (which, thankfully, the government appear to have got right this time) with people who think that you can catch covid by looking at someone 100 yards away who might have had covid 10 months ago. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I had no reaction at all from my second Astra-Zeneca jab on Thursday, I had feverish symptoms for about fours hours the evening of my first jab. So obviously easier second time around.
    That is good news. 🙂
  • Options
    @Jessie, although the World Health Organisation was hoping to give its verdict on the Chinese vaccines last month, apparently they are still waiting for China to send them results of all the phase III trials.

In the meantime, you might be interested to read this article from the British Medical Journal, an internationally well-regarded periodical.  https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n912 

No definitive answers, but it does summarise information about some of the Chinese vaccines available from other countries where some of the trials have been conducted.

Hope this helps if you are in a position where you and/or your parents need to make decisions.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @N01R4M Thank you. That is very informative. I've bookmarked the page in case I need to read it again in the future. Not that we can choose which vaccine but still it's necessary to know about them as much as possible.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    After the Sunderland game Mrs Plum and I went to New Cross for our second AZ jab, nine weeks and one day after the first.
    We each were given a little badge rather than a sticker, and our jab cards were filled in.
    The volunteers were brilliant, even at the end of a long day, where one volunteer said they had done over 1000 people.
    So far virtually no reaction, not even the arm ache of the first jab, just the very very slightest ‘awareness discomfort’ on the arm.
    No pain in the arse seth ;0)