Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• Billy_Mix said:
    cafcfan said:
    It was suggested in a newspaper this morning that the over 50s will be offered a 3rd jab in the autumn. Trials are on-going as to whether this will be a tweaked version to deal with new variants.

But they are saying it might be done at the same time as the flu jab. One in each arm. Can't say that I'm looking forward to that. It also seems to me that it opens up a route to mistakes being made:  getting two flu jabs instead of one of each for example.
    I'll retain sufficient faith in my physician that he/she can pull one syringe from one, labelled, box, stick it one arm; then pull another syringe from a different, labelled, box and stick it in my other arm.  Not all their 6 years of university and training was invested in decadence and promiscuity.

As soon as I get to 50 I'll be queuing up for all the recommended inoculations.  I can't control how pestilent and irresponsible all you lot out there might be but I will protect myself from you with whatever means at my disposal.
    I'm pleased that everyone is so confident. If it was me that had done nothing other than stick needles in 10s of 1,000s of people's arms for the best part of a year, I'd be in a zombie-like trance.  It is difficult to imagine anything more boring. 
  • edited May 2021
    cafcfan said:
    It was suggested in a newspaper this morning that the over 50s will be offered a 3rd jab in the autumn. Trials are on-going as to whether this will be a tweaked version to deal with new variants.

But they are saying it might be done at the same time as the flu jab. One in each arm. Can't say that I'm looking forward to that. It also seems to me that it opens up a route to mistakes being made:  getting two flu jabs instead of one of each for example.
    I *think* the trained professionals administering the jab will *probably* be able to tell the difference... 
    you say that. A couple if years ago i had an op  on one of my balls. They drew a huge black arrow on my leg pointing to which one so there no mistake.
    I had the arrow for about a week.
  • cafcfan said:

I *think* the trained professionals administering the jab will *probably* be able to tell the difference... 
    you say that. A couple if years ago i had an op  on one of my balls. They drew a huge black arrow in my leg pointing to which one so there no mistake.
    When I picked my Dad up from hospital after his cataract op I found him sitting in a room full of other (mostly) old folk with arrows on their head pointing to one eye.
  • cafcfan said:

you say that. A couple if years ago i had an op  on one of my balls. They drew a huge black arrow in my leg pointing to which one so there no mistake.
    When I picked my Dad up from hospital after his cataract op I found him sitting in a room full of other (mostly) old folk with arrows on their head pointing to one eye.
    And yet, allegedly, even marking up the eye doesn't always help. https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/03/doctor-performed-surgery-wrong-eye-stuck-needle-screaming-teens-eye-9407671/

• cafcfan said:

They only needed a small black arrow to find mine 😁
  • It will be interesting how they manage the process now, as there will be a mixture of 40 something 1st dosers and 50 something 2nd dosers all being done at the same time, the 2nd dosers needing the same vaccine as first time round.

I imagine they're doing them on different days to make things simpler to organise
  • cafcfan said:

Hopefully the eye with the patch over it.
  • Second AZ tomorrow for Ms AA and me.  Wish me luck, I was so ill after the first one.
    Ms AA fine and dandy while I’m a bit rough although thankfully nowhere near as bad as the first one. 
  • It will be interesting how they manage the process now, as there will be a mixture of 40 something 1st dosers and 50 something 2nd dosers all being done at the same time, the 2nd dosers needing the same vaccine as first time round.

I imagine they're doing them on different days to make things simpler to organise
    I went to a mass vaccination center, as opposed to gp or pharmacy.  If you were a vigin you could get any prick, the second timers had to queue if they needed anything other than AZ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Kent vaccine update
    6 May 2021

Latest Covid-19 vaccine progress

Our latest data shows we have vaccinated 90% of the top nine priority groups with at least one dose; and now 63% of all adults aged over 18 have been vaccinated.

Half of Kent and Medway's population in the top nine groups are now protected with both doses of the vaccine; that's 434,400 people. In the top four most vulnerable groups 88% of people have had both doses.

With vaccination now open to everyone aged 40 and over we have already vaccinated 50% of those aged 40-49; nearly 93,000 people.

Vaccines given:

First dose

• over 80 years 93,767
    • 75-79 years 71,350
    • 70-74 years 97,659
    • 65-69 years 90,496
    • 60-64 years 102,710
    • 55-59 years 118,441
    • 50-54 years 118,139
    • 45-49 years 86,746
    • Under 40 years174,504

Second dose

• over 80 years 87,484
    • 75-79 years 66,449
    • 70-74 years 84,068
    • 65-69 years 43,640
    • 60-64 years 26,308
    • 55-59 years 26,049
    • 50-54 years 22,580
    • 45-49 years 18,258
    • Under 40 years 59,564

Up to 2 May 2021.

https://www.kentandmedwayccg.nhs.uk/news-and-events/news/covid-19-vaccine-update-06-may-2021

• Generally speaking, for those who had both AZ doses, were the side effects less bad for the second dose?
  • I spoke to my sister in North Wales yesterday, and her sons aged 29, 22 and 21 will all have had their first vaccination by the end of next week! Amazing but I hadn't realised that some areas were this far ahead.
  • McBobbin said:
    Generally speaking, for those who had both AZ doses, were the side effects less bad for the second dose?
    Definitely for me and most people I know. I had days of flu-like symptoms after the first one and only a sore arm after the second.
  • I spoke to my sister in North Wales yesterday, and her sons aged 29, 22 and 21 will all have had their first vaccination by the end of next week! Amazing but I hadn't realised that some areas were this far ahead.
    They are just doing it differently, there will be older people still to be offered it yet. 
  • shine166 said:
    I spoke to my sister in North Wales yesterday, and her sons aged 29, 22 and 21 will all have had their first vaccination by the end of next week! Amazing but I hadn't realised that some areas were this far ahead.
    They are just doing it differently, there will be older people still to be offered it yet. 
    Ah didn't realise that! Thanks.
  • McBobbin said:
    Generally speaking, for those who had both AZ doses, were the side effects less bad for the second dose?
    Definitely , only really had a sore arm for a couple of days , as opposed to the raging flu like symptoms I had from the first 
  • That's a relief, thanks... Not feeling too bad today, guess it's flu like symptoms but very mild, just a bit fatigued and hot... But going on holiday just after the second so don't want go feel too rough!
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    Yes, much less, both for me and Mrs cafcfan.
  • Most adults under the age of 40 will be given an alternative to the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine due to a link with rare blood clots.

The UK's medicines safety regulator says there have been 242 clotting cases after 28.5 million doses of the vaccine have been administered.

But the risk is slightly higher in younger age groups.

Low levels of coronavirus in the country and the supply of alternative vaccines has also led to the decision.

Prof Wei Shen Lim, from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), said: "Safety remains our number one priority.

"As Covid-19 rates continue to come under control, we are advising that adults aged 18 - 39 years with no underlying health conditions are offered an alternative to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, if available, and if it does not cause delays in having the vaccine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

• McBobbin said:
    Mine was.
  • Was just about to post this on the ‘have you had your jab poll’ thread and some bar steward shut the thread ... 

had my second jab on 24 April. No reaction whatsoever. If anyone uses the Patient Access App for appointments and ordering meds, you now have a record of your vaccinations history #VaccinePassport

• clive said:
    Chart showing the  of people aged 18 and over who have had their first and second dose by nation data to 5 May
    For comparison purposes. In Contra Costa County, which is the county where I live in California, the numbers are 71.2% and 55.6%.