Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    I do despair for the human race when I hear some of the anti-vaxxers justify their position...
    Hopefully they'll all be up for the Darwin awards this time next year.
  • Options
    I do despair for the human race when I hear some of the anti-vaxxers justify their position...
    Sadly, the vast majority of them will be fine. They'll just have passed it around and led indirectly to the deaths of thousands of people they don't know and don't give a shit about. Even worse, the next time a pandemic comes around (maybe this time with a much greater mortality rate), they'll see the fact they didn't get ill this time round as 'proof' it's all a hoax - potentially leading to far, far greater catastrophe. Honestly, these people are so fucking stupid that it is both a credit to, and an indictment of society that we've evolved to the point that they are able (and allowed) to achieve adulthood. A scant 10,000 years ago they'd have been tied up outside a cave to attract prey for us to hunt.
    Harsh but fair.
  • Options
    Sadly, the vast majority of them will be fine. They'll just have passed it around and led indirectly to the deaths of thousands of people they don't know and don't give a shit about. Even worse, the next time a pandemic comes around (maybe this time with a much greater mortality rate), they'll see the fact they didn't get ill this time round as 'proof' it's all a hoax - potentially leading to far, far greater catastrophe. Honestly, these people are so fucking stupid that it is both a credit to, and an indictment of society that we've evolved to the point that they are able (and allowed) to achieve adulthood. A scant 10,000 years ago they'd have been tied up outside a cave to attract prey for us to hunt.
    Harsh but fair.

The take-up of the vaccine in the UK has been incredibly high - 100% was never achievable.

But I accept there are bigger issues in some other countries - US and France in particular.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I have had my first vaccine and am due my second in a couple of weeks The main reason for doing this is not to prevent myself dying, but to prevent others dying, including my loved ones, and to allow this country to return to a normality as quickly as possible. Those of us that have done this, can't do it in isolation. We need everybody to do it. The bonus is, I am protected from dying and the vaccine is incredibly safe. I see no reason why we should go soft on those in society not willing to do their bit to get us all out of this mess.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I have had my 1st vaccine and am due my second in a couple of weeks The main reason for doing this is not to prevent myself dying, but to prevent others dying and to allow this country to return to a normality as quickly as possible. The bonus is, I am protected from dying and the vaccine is incredibly safe. I see no reason why we should go soft on those in society not willing to do their bit to get us all out of this mess.

Very altruistic, Mutts.
    My main reason, and the reason I want my loved ones to be vaccinated is to stop me and them dying. Protecting society is a secondary purpose, albeit important.

If that makes me a selfish bastard then I'm a selfish bastard.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The important thing is you have had the vaccine. The selfish bastard is the person who has not had the vaccine when they could. I do liken it to past family members going to war, except they had real risks to face but still they faced them. There is an element of moral duty here IMO.
  • Options

The public is being urged to take part in trials to find out whether a third dose of Covid vaccine could protect against new variants.

All seven vaccines the UK has ordered will be tested on working-age people and over-75s as part of a randomised trial.

Data on side-effects and immune responses will be gathered.

The findings will help vaccine advisers decide if re-vaccinating some people in the autumn is necessary.

The Cov-Boost study, which starts in June, will recruit 3,000 people of all ages who had their first dose in December or January, to test if this is worthwhile.

"It could be that some age groups may not need a booster and others do," said Prof Saul Faust, chief investigator for the trial, from the University of Southampton.

"We are not trying to say one is better than the other.

"The aim is to find out whether there should be a booster campaign and which vaccine to use," he said.

Prof Faust said he was not expecting any vaccines to be "detrimental" but some could cause high fevers or very sore arms, for example, which would be useful to know.

The vaccines will be trialled at 18 sites across the UK, and half doses will also be tested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57174733

• Options
    clive said:

The public is being urged to take part in trials to find out whether a third dose of Covid vaccine could protect against new variants.

All seven vaccines the UK has ordered will be tested on working-age people and over-75s as part of a randomised trial.

The findings will help vaccine advisers decide if re-vaccinating some people in the autumn is necessary.

The Cov-Boost study, which starts in June, will recruit 3,000 people of all ages who had their first dose in December or January, to test if this is worthwhile.

"It could be that some age groups may not need a booster and others do," said Prof Saul Faust, chief investigator for the trial, from the University of Southampton.

"The aim is to find out whether there should be a booster campaign and which vaccine to use," he said.

Prof Faust said he was not expecting any vaccines to be "detrimental" but some could cause high fevers or very sore arms, for example, which would be useful to know.

The vaccines will be trialled at 18 sites across the UK, and half doses will also be tested.

Just had a quick look at the site and you have to be at least 84 days past your second jab.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Just had a quick look at the site and you have to be at least 84 days past your second jab.
    Need to have received your second vaccine by 16/04. Mine was 18/04 so was not accepted.
  • Options
    Finally managed to get the MyGP app to work, set up to link to myNHS which used to need a trip to the doctors to prove who you were but now can be done all online even if it takes a couple of days for authorisation to come through.

Having got those to work, I can now go to MyGP and pull up my vaccination certificate :smile:
  • Options
    clive said:

Need to have received your second vaccine by 16/04. Mine was 18/04 so was not accepted.
    Which will rule out the healthy under 60s really, seeing that hardly any will have had both jabs by then
  • Options
    Finally managed to get the MyGP app to work, set up to link to myNHS which used to need a trip to the doctors to prove who you were but now can be done all online even if it takes a couple of days for authorisation to come through.

Having got those to work, I can now go to MyGP and pull up my vaccination certificate :smile:
    I've just upgraded my phone, and installed the App this afternoon

12 days after the second jab is Sunday, so hopefully will get the tick then. Will the photo appear automatically?
  • Options

12 days after the second jab is Sunday, so hopefully will get the tick then. Will the photo appear automatically?
    You have to select a photo to appear. A white tick on a green shield appears at the bottom of the photo. It gives the date for the 12 days after your second jab.
  • Options
    clive said:

Which will rule out the healthy under 60s really, seeing that hardly any will have had both jabs by then
    Exactly why they have done this.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    clive said:

The story above suggested they wanted to evaluate all age groups though?

"It could be that some age groups may not need a booster and others do,
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

You have to select a photo to appear. A white tick on a green shield appears at the bottom of the photo. It gives the date for the 12 days after your second jab.
    It's not giving me the option to select a photo, where does this come from?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Redrobo said:
    clive said:

The story above suggested they wanted to evaluate all age groups though?

"It could be that some age groups may not need a booster and others do,
    I believe that comment meant that they want to include all age groups that qualified for a jab in that period. i.e. not just the older group but the vulnerable as well.
    One assumes that this will be the group most likely to benefit as well as being the group that the vaccination may start to lose its effectiveness.
    Although I did hear that they will want adults over 30 at some point.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Harsh but fair.

The take-up of the vaccine in the UK has been incredibly high - 100% was never achievable.

But I accept there are bigger issues in some other countries - US and France in particular.
    US will be patchy. Massachusetts is lifting all restrictions on May 28th. Over 70% of adults have had their first shot. I think it was over 60% had their second as we only have a 3/4 week gap between the two. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Crusty54 said:

Once the 12 days are up and you click on the ‘tick’ it should confirm you are eligible and ask you to upload a photo (either from your gallery or you can take a selfie. It should then complete the process and show you mug together with dates of you two jabs.

Have you got clearance from your GP to allow your medical records to be viewed online? Can you see immunisations on you open your records? If not then you will need to contact your GP to release them (it’s just a on/off option on their system and they cannot refuse).
  • Options
    The US is starting to look like they may have a problem. The vaccination programme has been very impressive as you would expect but currently there is a trend for people not bothering with their second vaccine. Right now supply of vaccines is outstripping demand. Many states are not currently taking their allocation of vaccines because they don’t have a demand for them. A vast country with many variations in attitude so we might expect to see regionalised issues as and when the India variant hits home. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Crusty54 said:

Once the 12 days are up and you click on the ‘tick’ it should confirm you are eligible and ask you to upload a photo (either from your gallery or you can take a selfie. It should then complete the process and show you mug together with dates of you two jabs.

Have you got clearance from your GP to allow your medical records to be viewed online? Can you see immunisations on you open your records? If not then you will need to contact your GP to release them (it’s just a on/off option on their system and they cannot refuse).
    Thanks, 12 days should be up on Sunday

I can see my immunisations, I already add access to them online via the patient access website
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Don’t know if Instagram link is accessible but this is the latest one I’ve been sent,

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPBP4_zlwXe/?utm_medium=copy_link 

SM-102 gonna kill us all.
  • Options
    Bookings open to 34 year olds and over as of this morning
  • Options

You can only use this service if any of the following apply:

• you're aged 34 or over
    • you'll turn 34 before 1 July 2021
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    I received a text message yesterday from Bromley Covid Vaccination Centre advising that my second jab needed to be rescheduled.  Initial thoughts were it's one of those hoax texts and was going to ignore it, then, as it said you could rebook an appointment on the NHS site (where I'd booked both jabs last month) I cancelled the 2nd jab that was due 29th June, fully expecting it to be delayed because they're prioritising the spread up North or getting more people their initial dose, but now it's now happening on 9th June.  Just 8 weeks and a day after the first one.