Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    clive said:

You can only use this service if any of the following apply:

• you're aged 34 or over
    • you'll turn 34 before 1 July 2021
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    Very impressive. It was only a week ago today when they asked for 38 or above to apply. 
  • Options
    clive said:

• you're aged 34 or over
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    Very impressive. It was only a week ago today when they asked for 38 or above to apply. 
    Yes it seems that every day a new group becomes eligible
  • Options
    So a place near me is doing jabs on demand for anyone over 18, queue up and from 5.30 jabs are available until they run out or reach a capacity of who can be jabbed by 5.30. Young colleagues have tried on a couple of occasions to get one and been too far back in the queue. Anywhere else doing this? 
  • Options
    I think this is due to the spike in the Indian  variant in the West London (Hounslow)
  • Options
    clive said:

• you're aged 34 or over
    Yes it seems that every day a new group becomes eligible
    Not sure if this is the case but could it be due to everyone under 40 now getting the alternative to AZ? Where I was yesterday it wasn't even an option, everyone was getting Pfizer so I wonder if that's the case it means more of the AZ can go towards the second doses for the older age groups? 
  • Options
    That's me 2 jags  :)
  • Options
    clive said:

The public is being urged to take part in trials to find out whether a third dose of Covid vaccine could protect against new variants.

All seven vaccines the UK has ordered will be tested on working-age people and over-75s as part of a randomised trial.

Data on side-effects and immune responses will be gathered.

The findings will help vaccine advisers decide if re-vaccinating some people in the autumn is necessary.

The Cov-Boost study, which starts in June, will recruit 3,000 people of all ages who had their first dose in December or January, to test if this is worthwhile.

"It could be that some age groups may not need a booster and others do," said Prof Saul Faust, chief investigator for the trial, from the University of Southampton.

"We are not trying to say one is better than the other.

"The aim is to find out whether there should be a booster campaign and which vaccine to use," he said.

Prof Faust said he was not expecting any vaccines to be "detrimental" but some could cause high fevers or very sore arms, for example, which would be useful to know.

The vaccines will be trialled at 18 sites across the UK, and half doses will also be tested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57174733

Just had a quick look at the site and you have to be at least 84 days past your second jab.
    Need to have received your second vaccine by 16/04. Mine was 18/04 so was not accepted.
    Which will rule out the healthy under 60s really, seeing that hardly any will have had both jabs by then
     Perhaps health professionals/nurses etc. could be included? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addickson said:
    I note they call them Jags in Scotland. Any idea where the expression comes from?
  • Options
    So a place near me is doing jabs on demand for anyone over 18, queue up and from 5.30 jabs are available until they run out or reach a capacity of who can be jabbed by 5.30. Young colleagues have tried on a couple of occasions to get one and been too far back in the queue. Anywhere else doing this? 
    I had my first vaccine at Brentford Leisure Centre on Tuesday, although it was a normal booking for those aged 36+. Great initiative if they have spare and youngsters are keen to get jabbed. 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    I think this is due to the spike in the Indian  variant in the West London (Hounslow)
    Interesting you say that. I was in a shop earlier today in Brentford and the guy in front of me chatting to the cashier was saying everyone in his local church has been told not to get a vaccine done. He was asking for advice from cashier and everyone in queue whether he should go to his vaccine appointment next week. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    addickson said:
    I note they call them Jags in Scotland. Any idea where the expression comes from?
    Reckon it’ll be to do with thistle. Partick Thistle are called The Jags
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57185584

Prince William has had his first jab. Aged 38 so in line with the guidance, indeed I think it's been very good that the royals and politicians have had their jabs when eligible, rather than jumping the queue.

It's all a charade...they had theirs done 18 months ago along with their 5 G mast booster shots. 

• Options
    addickson said:
    Redrobo said:
    addickson said:
    Reckon it’ll be to do with thistle. Partick Thistle are called The Jags
    Thanks for the clue. It appears that the points on a thistle are an example of a type of scratchy sharp point described as jags. Makes sense.
  • Options
    My 2nd Jab is due 2nd June. Had a text to say they are bringing the jabs forward. I rang 119 who said they could re-book my appointment but would have to cancel my 2nd June booking first, but it could mean that my date for the jab could be later than the 2nd, so decided to leave it as it was. Thought that was a strange process.
  • Options
    My 2nd Jab is due 2nd June. Had a text to say they are bringing the jabs forward. I rang 119 who said they could re-book my appointment but would have to cancel my 2nd June booking first, but it could mean that my date for the jab could be later than the 2nd, so decided to leave it as it was. Thought that was a strange process.
    I presume it's because the system won't be able to book a 2nd appnt, if one is already booked.
    So you have to cancel the 2nd & chance that you can rebook sooner.
    If your already booked for 2nd June, as you say it's not worth chancing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next group please…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57209444

Over 32s
  • Options

People aged 32 and 33 in England are now being invited to book their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine.

The NHS said booking will open to that age group - around one million people - at 07:00 BST on Saturday.

Text message invitations will be sent out to 33-year-olds on Saturday and also to 32-year-olds on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57209444

People can book via the link below

• Options
    Seem to be absolutely smashing through the age groups now.

Wonder if that's because the further down we get the less people are booking? 
  • Options

I wonder if this is why there been so much publicity about the Indian variant, there by encouraging all those who are having doubts about having the jab to go along and be vaccinated. 
  • Options
    I booked online myself my second appointment then changed it myself .
    GP then sends a link to my wife’s phone beginning of this week to book my second a few weeks earlier and I’m going for that today .
    I haven’t cancelled the one I booked online which I’ll do once I’ve had the injection today .
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I wonder if this is why there been so much publicity about the Indian variant, there by encouraging all those who are having doubts about having the jab to go along and be vaccinated. 
    From the stats, more people are having the first dose now than ever before, so not sure if it’s linked to less people booking. 

Week ending 2nd May, 606,299 first doses given 
    Week ending 9th May, 683,425 first doses given
    Week ending 16th May, 992,407 first doses given. 

This week, we’d already done around 480,000 first doses by Wednesday. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021

From the stats, more people are having the first dose now than ever before, so not sure if it’s linked to less people booking. 

Without checking the numbers, I’m starting to wonder if something doesn’t add up. A couple of months or more ago we seemed to be regularly hitting 300k to 400k or more first jabs, some days a lot more,  with a second dose pushed back to 12 weeks later. Now we are bringing forward the second jab to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant threat. Surely by doing that there will be a period of doubling up and those that have reached their 12 week wait and those that have reached the 8 week period are both being vaccinated at the same time ? Shouldn’t we be seeing 600k to 800k a day having their second jab each day ?
  • Options

Without checking the numbers, I’m starting to wonder if something doesn’t add up. A couple of months or more ago we seemed to be regularly hitting 300k to 400k or more first jabs, some days a lot more,  with a second dose pushed back to 12 weeks later. Now we are bringing forward the second jab to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant threat. Surely by doing that there will be a period of doubling up and those that have reached their 12 week wait and those that have reached the 8 week period are both being vaccinated at the same time ? Shouldn’t we be seeing 600k to 800k a day having their second jab each day ?
    We will, I'm sure.

The manner of the roll-out meant that there was always going to be an uneven distribution at various points as there were no second jabs for nigh on 12 weeks, then the switch to second, now a switch to first and so on.