Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Everyone else just feel massively deflated?
    Barring the obvious relief and joy of Thomas saving us; from a footballing perspective I’ve felt massively deflated for a year now. We’ve not looked convincingly good for a while. 
    23 wins in 72 games.
  • Options
    With the constant changing of starting line ups I'm starting to think that bowyer starts each match day by putting all of the players names into one hat, all of the positions on the pitch into another and then picks them out at random to decide on the starting lineup
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    The ref was shit but blaming him for the first two goals screams desperation 
    Why was he shit?
    The nailed on pen we should have had immediately springs to mind. 
    Yeah. He most likely couldn’t see it, or I assume he would have given it. Doesn’t make him shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poke fun at his post match comments themselves but not how he pronounces words fkn hell. Proper snobby that is 
    Nah.  You'll have to find something better.
  • Options
    Has Bowyer had a blow to the head or something.

These comments are insane.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    LB needs to go - he is clueless. 
    If there was a good manager available who is willing to manage us in League One with a team he did not choose, maybe I would be for a change. Of course, anyone who needs to manage in League One might be clueless by definition. If they could take a clue, they would not be in League One.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Barring the obvious relief and joy of Thomas saving us; from a footballing perspective I’ve felt massively deflated for a year now. We’ve not looked convincingly good for a while. 
    23 wins in 72 games.
    Depressing and deflating but used to it. Especially deflated after the last minute signing last night all got us a bit hyped clinging on to hope that we can achieve something this year. 21 hours later good old Charlton sending us back down to earth with a bang.
  • Options
    Strangely I don’t. I think because did not expect anything. 

Sadly I have already written of this season as although we could go in a run and make playoffs can’t see it. 

Excited for the medium to long term though. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Unless TS sees something and believes the playoffs are still possible I can’t see any benefit in keeping Bowyer on. To do so means either sacking him after the last game when we don’t get into the playoffs or keeping him on and allowing him to oversee the rebuild. Before this evening I’ve been right behind LB but now the club needs to come first. 
  • Options
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    What if we fail again next season? Another chance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Really, really not convinced as some that Famewo and Innis will transform our season once they're back. We've got big issues across the pitch.
    This. They have only played together half a dozen times. They aren't Gomez & Van Dyke or Bould & Adams who have played a few seasons together.
  • Options
    Famewo seems to have been nearly fit and in and around it for weeks now, were were told on the 12th December it'd be about 9 weeks and Saturday will be 8, really frustrating to keep hearing it
  • Options
    It is unfair to call Portsmouth poor. They came with a simple game plan (that I could set up) which will beat us more often than not at the Valley. Bodies behind the ball, quick balls forward. They executed it well so did the job required.

I do think there is enough in our squad where a new manager could give us a chance. That window is closing though and if we don't win on Saturday and start the run we need, Sandgaard has to act quickly. Unless he is happy to write the season off.
  • Options
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    I agree up until this point... I dont think he should get until next January for the sake of it

This season is a given to recover from relegation (Yes Hull got relegated too and are top but they kept their team together when they came down), but if we find ourselves in this sort of position come October, November then its seriously got to be looked at
  • Options
    at least we’ve got @PaddyP17 flirting with The Vixen tomorrow to look forward to.

Save our season Padster 
    Great reminder gaffer, look he even gets his name in the TV Guide, more entertainment than all this Bowyer Bollocks I’d imagine...

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    That was wank. 

Get rid of basically everyone whose contract is up in the summer. Watson; Pratley; Pearce - they're too old and too slow. We won't be able to retain the loanees, and frankly I'd rather we signed players for the long term.

Other teams like Accrington can outperform the wage cap, and we've always thought Gallen has been shrewd. With or without Bowyer - honestly indifferent at this point - we should be able to compete next year with the right moves.

I've resigned myself to a decent but non-promotion finish and am looking ahead to 2021/22. Very surprised I'm so detached with so long to go in the season.
    Is this Count Basie standing next to Sinatra there..?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present... 
    Gonna answer this with another question: what league were we in then?
    We were a First Division team competing in the First Division, we are now a League One team competing in League One

And to point out we'd just finished 7th the year before and ended up finishing 12th the year we had that poor run

So surely the 7th place should have morphed into something better, not something worse?