Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 20/21

Comments

• Options
    Can’t remember the last time I cared this little about the FA Cup. No fans this season has killed the comp.
  • Options
    Pleased with the semi final draw, with the 2 "regulars" against each other, leaving one of Leicester or Soton to reach the final
    I really thought that Chelsea v Man City would be the Final
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I suspect the draw was done in the hope of an all Manchester final, especially as it was 1-1 at HT. No need for the "hot ball" after all.
  • Options
    Can’t remember the last time I cared this little about the FA Cup. No fans this season has killed the comp.
    FA cup died years ago.
  • Options
    From the 70’s to about 2000 could reel off the list of winners. 

Couldn’t tell you the last five finals apart from Watford got thrashed 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely from 2000 its easy naming the winners?

Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City

Then throw in Portsmouth and Wigan for the two surprise years
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely from 2000 its easy naming the winners?

Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City

Then throw in Portsmouth and Ben Watson's Wigan for the two surprise years
    Correction  ;)
  • Options

Next month's FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley will be among the pilot events to trial the return of large crowds to UK venues.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that the games on 17 and 18 April will be part of the trial programme.

The FA Cup final and the World Snooker Championship in Sheffield are also on the schedule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56566256

• Options
    'one of the matches will have an attendance capped at around 4,000, with the crowd being made up of local residents and care and support workers.'

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/the-emirates-fa-cup/2020-2021/one-fa-cup-semi-final-to-be-used-as-test-event-for-return-of-crowds-with-4000-people-set-to-attend_sto8198301/story.shtml

That's bollocks. If you're going to let people in then it should be season ticket holders to the two clubs. Surely, it can be more than 4000 too given that Wembley holds 90000-ish. With so many people vaccinated, why the hesitancy? Talk about a nanny-state.
  • Options

Fans attending the FA Cup semi-final and final and other sporting events which are part of a government pilot to manage Covid and large crowds will not need to show proof they've been vaccinated against coronavirus.

Those attending will only evidence of a recent negative test.

Guidance published on Friday says "there will be no requirement for participants to show proof of vaccine" at events in April and May including the FA Cup semi final and final at Wembley Stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56769560

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea beat City 1-0
  • Options
    out of interest where there some fans in today? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    No, I believe there's a few thousand in tomorrow for Leicester v Soton.
  • Options
    redman said:
    No, I believe there's a few thousand in tomorrow for Leicester v Soton.
    Mrs GA’s cousin works for the NHS, he got a couple of tickets for tomorrow and is taking his dad.
  • Options
    There can't be a worse pundit than Ashley Cole - a real waste of space.
  • Options
    Saw an article earlier (in relation to City not getting the quadruple) bemoaning how the double isn't special anymore as it's much more common now.

Looked up the stats and was surprised it's only been done twice in 20 seasons now, which is roughly in line with the once a decade regularity of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Makes you wonder if Arsenal and United dominating from 94 to 2002 (5 doubles between them in 9 years) was the exception and it is still difficult to achieve, albeit because the big teams are concentrating on Europe half the time now.
  • Options
    Also, come on Southampton.
  • Options
    So hope one of today's two wins the cup.

Also hate them saying there are fans in today, if they are rewarding local NHS people and others so be it, but it isn't fans of the clubs.
  • Options
    Saw an article earlier (in relation to City not getting the quadruple) bemoaning how the double isn't special anymore as it's much more common now.

Looked up the stats and was surprised it's only been done twice in 20 seasons now, which is roughly in line with the once a decade regularity of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Makes you wonder if Arsenal and United dominating from 94 to 2002 (5 doubles between them in 9 years) was the exception and it is still difficult to achieve, albeit because the big teams are concentrating on Europe half the time now.
    Good point that Neil. 
  • Options
    Must admit I thought City had done it more than once, and won it more than twice in recent years.

I was getting confused with the League Cup, which proves the point @MrOneLung made further up about losing track of recent winners compared to years back when it was easy to remember the winners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The weird thing is that Man City's record in the FA Cup in recent years has been relatively poor (hence the lack of doubles) but they've become ridiculously dominant in the EFL Cup

Since 2010/11 they've made 3 FA Cup finals, winning 2
    Since 2013/14 they've made SIX EFL Cup finals (including this season) winning all 5 so far.

I assume the FA Cups have ended up being sacrificed with players being rested for crucial league or European games 
  • Options
    Can't be a worse game than yesterday tbf. Other than Foden, City were so far off the pace it was ridiculous. Tuchel did a job on them and his side did what they needed to do but if I were a City fan I'd not be happy with that performance.

Better game for the neutral coming up later I hope. 
  • Options
    There can't be a worse pundit than Ashley Cole - a real waste of space.
    a real waste of a human being
  • Options
    Why on earth are the spectators not allowed to wear replica shirts?
    Is it because it doesn't go well with The Supreme Leader badge?
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy: passion, desire. What a star. I'd love to see him get the winner against Chelski.
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy: passion, desire. What a star. I'd love to see him get the winner against Chelski.
    really like him. 34 and still has that amount of pace. i also have a soft spot for him when he scored against palarse he did an eagle impression afterwards in front of the homlesdale end. 
  • Options
    It'll be worth watching the final just to see how Gary Lineker copes!
  • Options

They aren't Leicester/Southampton fans, they're residents of the borough of Brent who were allowed to attend as this is a test event. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Two awful semi-finals, being from Leicester Im happy they made it to the final though.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

They aren't Leicester/Southampton fans, they're residents of the borough of Brent who were allowed to attend as this is a test event. 
     So people from Brent only can't wear replica shirts. Is that the rule?

In case anyone wonders what I'm going on about, the commentator on 5live said that spectators had been asked to cover their replica shirts with their coats as the shirts are not allowed at this trial event. 

Watching MOTD I was pleased to see that those real fans that WERE there ignored this ludicrous rule.