Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 20/21

Comments

• Options
    Gary Linekar is loving it!
  • Options
    Helping yourself to medals - surely you'd take a couple just for a laugh?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    That's exactly what VAR is there for. Brilliant. Throws the "kills the drama" argument out the window too.
    I'm well happy with the result and the VAR decision was technically right.  But there's two reasons for my why VAR is bad in such circumstances. 1. The fans had celebrated what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal. And the reason it would appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal... 2. Nobody could have perceived that being off side in real time. We have taken decisions to a level that are beyond human perception. It's football, not bloody playstation. 

And another thing, if that goal was ruled out because of an imperceptible rule infringement, why wasn't the first goal ruled out for handball?

I'm glad Chelsea lost and I'm glad Leicester won, but it shouldn't have been like that.
    Agree to disagree. I think it's madness to let illegitimate goals stand and rob a team of a trophy like that.
    So that's 0-0 then.
    An accidental handball incident is only called handball if it occurs immediately prior to a goal being scored. The ball hitting a hand in the middle of the pitch doesn't fall into that category. Both decisions were correct according the rules as they currently stand. 1-0 was the right result.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/handball-rules-updated-ifab-2020-21-season/1183navehh4tq12x9s126y7mr9

A statement from the IFAB reads: “‘Accidental’ handball by an attacking player (or team-mate) is only penalised if it occurs ‘immediately’ before a goal or clear goal-scoring opportunity.

“If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and the ball then goes to another attacking player and the attacking team immediately scores, this is a handball offence.

“It is not an offence if, after an accidental handball, the ball travels some distance (pass or dribble) and/or there are several passes before the goal or goal-scoring opportunity.”

• Options
    So how much will Arsenal offer Rodgers to move there once they fire Arteta? Or Tottenham? You just know big offers are coming.
    Rodgers loves it at Leicester, has a good team, a great owner and might qualify for the CL. Really can't see him leaving yet.
    Would love Rodgers at Spurs but there is fuck all chance of that happening with Levy's wallet.

I know he's ambitious but the Leicester owners are more ambitious than Tottenham Hotspur Property Investment FC.
  • Options
    Well done Leicester great stuff,beautiful goal & an absolute stonker of a save from Kasper,oh n well played VAR...😂😂😂
  • Options
    Beautiful , I love VAR fuck off Chelsea 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So pleased for Leicester and their owner after the loss of his father. Great when one of the big teams loses to a club that is properly run. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    That's exactly what VAR is there for. Brilliant. Throws the "kills the drama" argument out the window too.
    I'm well happy with the result and the VAR decision was technically right.  But there's two reasons for my why VAR is bad in such circumstances. 1. The fans had celebrated what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal. And the reason it would appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal... 2. Nobody could have perceived that being off side in real time. We have taken decisions to a level that are beyond human perception. It's football, not bloody playstation. 

And another thing, if that goal was ruled out because of an imperceptible rule infringement, why wasn't the first goal ruled out for handball?

I'm glad Chelsea lost and I'm glad Leicester won, but it shouldn't have been like that.
    Agree to disagree. I think it's madness to let illegitimate goals stand and rob a team of a trophy like that.
    So that's 0-0 then.
    An accidental handball incident is only called handball if it occurs immediately prior to a goal being scored. The ball hitting a hand in the middle of the pitch doesn't fall into that category. Both decisions were correct according the rules as they currently stand. 1-0 was the right result.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/handball-rules-updated-ifab-2020-21-season/1183navehh4tq12x9s126y7mr9

A statement from the IFAB reads: “‘Accidental’ handball by an attacking player (or team-mate) is only penalised if it occurs ‘immediately’ before a goal or clear goal-scoring opportunity.

“If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and the ball then goes to another attacking player and the attacking team immediately scores, this is a handball offence.

“It is not an offence if, after an accidental handball, the ball travels some distance (pass or dribble) and/or there are several passes before the goal or goal-scoring opportunity.”

Thanks for telling us the 'rules' on how VAR is used.  Now let's have a look at the laws of the game

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
    • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    So here we have a major discrepancy. By your own words, "it's madness to let illegitimate goals stand and rob a team of a trophy". We've seen one goal disallowed despite being imperceptible to the referee and yet another illegitamate goal is allowed to stand. Why? Because the technology that is allowed to over-rule a referee in one instance is not allowed to be used in another. What a mess we've gotten ourselves into.

• Options
    Pleased for them but they’re no bigger than us as a club. If only Murray hadn’t gone with his ego and appointed that clown Dowie, that could be us.
  • Options
    Congrats to Leicester, who have proven they are the best run club in England. With a top 4 finish also likely this season they have proven 2015-16 was no fluke. They are a template for any lower league club to show how to rise to the top. And with one of the most beautiful Academies in England, they will be attracting all sorts of talent for years to come. 
    Great owners as well... Would be delighted if Thomas turned out to be like the Thai family that run Leicester 
    Me too but got nowhere near the wealth of Leicester's ownership. TS is a millionaire and Leicester's lot multi billionaires.
  • Options
    Pleased for them but they’re no bigger than us as a club. If only Murray hadn’t gone with his ego and appointed that clown Dowie, that could be us.
    Quite a lot of other things would probably have had to of happened too!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Quite a lot of other things would probably have had to of happened too!
    Maybe not the premier league but we we should have been in the final the year we played Middlesbrough
  • Options
    Literally made my day, roared with laughter when the VAR decision came through. Horrible, corrupt, entitled, scummy, plastic club.

Was great seeing the proper fans in a mixture of utter joy and disbelief - well done Leicester. As @JohnBoyUK said above, a victory for football over (dirty) money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of the Chelsea fans on sky sports news tonight:

”lucky goal, absolute fluke, better team lost”
    ”disgraceful decision by VAR, this should be reviewed but of course it won’t because it’s the FA and all they care about is the money” 

Now the first one made me chuckle.  The second comment, I’ve never hated someone whom I’ve never met before SO much. Does he even realise who the Chelsea owner is...
  • Options
    A terrible cup final but I’m glad Leicester won it. City and Chelsea been in 4 of the last 5 semi finals, makes a mockery of it it.
  • Options
    A telling comment post match for me was from Wrighty when he said he was envious of Leicester having great owners. The big clubs may have the £ but they dont have owners that care
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

So that's 0-0 then.

Thanks for telling us the 'rules' on how VAR is used.  Now let's have a look at the laws of the game

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
    • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    So here we have a major discrepancy. By your own words, "it's madness to let illegitimate goals stand and rob a team of a trophy". We've seen one goal disallowed despite being imperceptible to the referee and yet another illegitamate goal is allowed to stand. Why? Because the technology that is allowed to over-rule a referee in one instance is not allowed to be used in another. What a mess we've gotten ourselves into.

That would be great if it was actually a handball offence but it wasn’t. You’ve presumed it is an offence without defining what handball actually is in 2021.

https://www.theifab.com/news/annual-general-meeting-2021

“ Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:
    • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
    • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
    • scores in the opponents’ goal:
      • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
      • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

You could perhaps argue the “unnaturally bigger” condition applies here but clearly it was determined by the referee and the video assistant to be an accidental handball due to the ball deflecting off the knee and onto the hand.

• Options
    There are plenty of instances that make VAR look silly but this wasn’t one of them.
  • Options
    Couple of interviews with Chelsea fans after the game:

Absolutely disgraceful VAR, FA needs to review that...but obviously they’re not because they only care about the money”.

Irony not lost on you mate.

We should have won the game, a lucky goal”.

Yep, luckiest goal I’ve ever seen.